SM OU Steely Stall

https://pokepast.es/f213582d1f17e011

Details:
The name might be a bit misleading, as the team actually rarely relies on killing via time, it just wears down to the point where something can kill all of the other team's mons

Sableye:

Sableye was the 'mon that more or less inspired the team. It generally leads, usually megaevolving right off the bat with will-o-wisp or knockoff. Occasionally when it looks like a team doesn't have any entry hazard setters it serves as a tank, preferably stalling something with toxic on it by alternating reflect and recover, since burn takes forever. It can also stall when it does lead, although it does have trouble outlasting other sableye as well as toxapex.

Gliscor:

Defog carrier and another stall agent. Roost is great for keeping it in the fight for an eternity, especially when combined with the toxic heal. When ice fang freezes its an amazing set up for Serperior, and it also gives good type coverage. Earthquake 1HKO's Heatran and threatens a lot of other entry hazard setters that Sableye cant deal with. It does have a weakness in that it can't put toxic on stuff itself, but generally at the times I need it too I've basically already lost. The 4x ice weakness really hurts, as otherwise it would be able to deal with some threats way more effectively than any of my other 'mon. (Specifically Zapdos with HP Ice, and basically any non-ice attacker who runs ice punch or ice beam for coverage)

Serperior:

My only real sweeper, and sole answer for Kartana. The ability to switch into threats like Greninja off of Heatran really helps. It can be kinda tough to get it up to the 3x special attack needed for it to basically 1HKO everything it cant tank can be kind of tough, it helps if someone decides to set up entry hazards while it's in play. The most frustrating thing is getting a high SP. Attack boost going and then dying to priority switch-out moves (looking at you, Landorus-T with U-Turn). I also really rarely get to use leech seed, so I'm considering switching it out for another STAB move for when leaf storm runs out of uses.

Skarmory:

This was the hardest spot to fill, and I cycled through using Pincir (second sweeper) and Lucario (same role as Skarmory) before realizing that the big metal bird was my best bet. Its main purpose is to force switch outs on boosted sweepers using whirlwind, with a secondary role as another toxic user. Roost is usually great but it rarely gets the chance to use it. It also falls into the "its a damn shame it cant deal with sweepers who don't need setup and Zapdos" category. I'd say the 4x electric weakness sucks but I honestly don't use Skarmory to tank hits anyway.

Ferrothorn:

Main physical tank and spike setter. Leech seed is great, especially when you catch someone when they switch to a sweeper, assuming that Ferrothorn is set up fodder. However, the lack of toxic is felt somewhat, especially when dealing with really tanky 'mons like Clefairy. Overall really solid, don't have much to complain about except the difficulty dealing with some other tanky pokemon.

Heatran:

Stealth rock setter, decently tanky against anything not named Earthquake, and providing good attacking coverage with Lava Plume. Generally a safe option to switch into stuff with, and pretty good at dealing with most defog users. However, since the team has a lot of problems with switch-strats (wish/healbell users and regenerators especially), it might be wise to replace Lava Plume with Magma Storm.

Weaknesses:
The team's biggest weaknesses are sweepers. Specifically, it has a really difficult time dealing with one's that don't need setup (Mega-Medicham and Mega-Charizard-Y especially), or ones that it has a hard time preventing setting up (Kartana, Cloyster). If the other team has two stat-boosters, it becomes almost impossible to win since Skarmory can only deal with one of them. Also, as mentioned earlier, the team also has a really hard time dealing with teams that make heavy use of switching/healing, especially given the reliance on toxic to deal damage. Any thoughts on how to rectify this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)