SM OU Sticky Web, Starring Shuckle and Friends!

Well, to put things simply, I haven't been all too invested in competitive battling in the past few months, and this team is pretty gimmicky, but it still seems like a decent place to start. Please feel free to suggest changes, or tear the entire team to shreds!

So here we go...

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
Modest Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Dark Pulse
-Flash Cannon
-Fire Blast
I always enjoyed using Hydreigon, and this set is able to hit like a truck and then switch out, or clean up late game. Draco Meteor kills nearly anything that doesn't resist it, and Dark Pulse provides a nice STAB move for Hydreigon that doesn't force it to immediately switch. Flash Cannon allows it to at least compete with the Tapus, and Fire Blast allows it to 2HKO Celesteela, along with killing any Skarmory that have Shed Shell. I opted for a Modest Nature to maximize damage output along with Choice Specs, and the loss in Speed compared to a Timid Nature won't matter as much because I have...

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Bold Nature
-Sticky Web
-Stealth Rocks
-Toxic
-Encore
Shuckle is very important for the team as a lead, and that's almost entirely because of Sticky Web, which Shuckle will always be able to get off with a combination of Mental Herb and Sturdy. Stealth Rocks are also very good, but not as important as Sticky Web. Everything else in the set is simply for utility, and I went for Bold Nature with full investment in HP and Defense just to make Shuckle as much of a wall as possible.

Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 252 HP/128 Atk/128 Def
Impish Nature
-Shadow Claw
-Power Whip
-Rapid Spin
-Anchor Shot
I absolutely love this guy. Dhelmise is able to serve as my spinner and spin blocker, and can take a hit from many other offensive spinners before dealing an OHKO back out. I was also shocked by just how well Dhelmise walls every common Keldeo set. Anchor Shot allows him to trap opposing Pokemon, and Assault Vest makes him a nice mixed tank. I find Dhelmise to be very underrated, and one of the most interesting new Pokemon this generation.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Waterfall
-Aqua Jet
-Superpower
-Play Rough
So, call me crazy, but I went for minimal speed investment because with a base Speed of 50, Azumarill isn't gonna be going faster than much unless it's using Aqua Jet. But anyways, Choice Band allows me to hit really hard against just about anything, and Huge Power is 99% of the reason Azumarill is viable in the first place. Azumarill is also on the team to serve as my premier Mamoswine counter, because he dominates my team, otherwise. Everything else in the set is just about hitting hard with STAB attacks, or taking down any big threats weak to Superpower. Not too complex.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA/128 Spe/128 HP
Timid Nature
-Thunderbolt
-HP Fire
-Volt Switch
-Flash Cannon
Magnezone is a fantastic Pokemon that really comes in handy on this team. With Choice Scarf, Sticky Web up, and a Timid Nature, Magnezone is surprisingly quick, and his ability to trap Skarmory, Scizor, and new threat Celesteela before disposing of them makes him especially useful. Magnezone is also my best answer for Defog users, primarily the aforementioned Skarmory. Being able to trap Steel types, kill Defoggers, and just be a monster in general makes Magnezone crucial to this team.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP/128 Atk/124 Def/4 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Acrobatics
-Knock Off
-Earthquake
-Fling
Gliscor is my pivot and by far the most gimmicky Pokemon on this team. The goal is to switch in to a resisted attack, get poisoned, Fling the Toxic Orb, and then either go for Acrobatics or switch out and save Gliscor for later. Having a very nice bulk also allows Gliscor to succeed in tanking hits from most physical attackers. Knock Off is there because it's simply such a good move that it should be on just about every competitive team, and the EVs are mainly put into HP, Attack, and Defense just to make Gliscor able to survive for as long as possible.

So there's my team. I know that it has flaws, predominantly the lack of a Mega OR Z Move, but that's where I need help from you guys. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I'm looking forward to hearing some feedback from you guys.

Last edited:
Hi! I do realize it's a little outdated, but I love this team!

I have been using this team exactly as you made it for a few days now, with considerable success! I've won probably 5/8 of my 20 or so matches, and the ones I lost were out of stupidity or a lack of knowledge of the OU. As for the question of the Mega or Z-move, I think the weakest link on the team is the Gliscor, so if something has to be sacrificed for the Mega or Z, it would be Gliscor. A Mega with Roar might be a good choice, because Swords Dancers (or other boosting sweepers) like Bisharp have given me problems. I was thinking perhaps...

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
-Thunder Wave
-Roar
-Heavy Slam
-Earthquake

Alternatively you could go with Autotomize instead of Thunder Wave to take better advantage of Shuckle's web, but then Heavy Slam is less powerful as a result. Then again, Magnezone and Hydreigon both already have steel-type moves, so the coverage might not be needed. Earthquake is powerful and makes up for Gliscor's Earthquake, and the aforementioned Thunder Wave slows enemies further, possibly enough for Azumarill to out-speed some foes she otherwise could not. The EVs are ripped from a similar set on Smogon.

In addition, with Dhelmise and Magnezone on the team, fire-types become a big problem. However, the water types and ground types that torment Aggron are susceptible to other members of this team. For a Z-move option, the aforementioned Mamoswine might be a good Subzero Slammer to handle dragon types (if Azumarill isn't an option) and would provide Earthquake access like Aggron or Gliscor.

Aside from dancing sweepers, the set doesn't have any unique Pokemon that break it. Ground types with access to Steel moves become a bit of an issue, since Azumarill gets destroyed switching into a steel move, but unless expertly predicted, Dhelmise should be fine, I've just made dumb plays. Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)