SM OU Sub-Pressure Stall (Kyurem + Tapu Bulu)

Hey folks, I'm one of those horrible people that love playing Stall Teams. That said, I also like having the ability to actually close out some games, and have always loved playing something a little different. This is my first RMT since 2008-2009, and have been exclusively playing this on the ladder (up to around 1500) as of recently.

Before I ended up with Kyurem & Bulu, I rounded out the team with Unaware Clefable and Dugtrio. Clefable always felt like a crutch to fall back on if I ended up punting or getting hax'd, and wanted to mix things up a bit.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge

EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold w/ Regenerator

- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald

One of the reasons I felt comfortable removing Unaware Clef was having Toxapex check a variety of set-up mons, and the rest of the team being able to help vs set-up Dragons/Dark. Toxic Spike user and occasional scald dispenser. Typical for stall teams.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet

EVs:248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish w/ Sturdy

- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Defog

Another standard on stall teams. No attack hasn't really popped up as much of an issue, but I'm pretty open to switching Defog off this set. Rocky Helmet > Shed Shell because Magnezone doesn't seem to be too popular anymore.

Chansey Evolite

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold w/ Natural Cure

- Softboiled
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Not sure Chansey needs much explanation. Soaks up special attacks like a champ, and sets up rocks on their switch. Going for more SpD > HP with this specific set.

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite

EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
Careful w/ Prankster (Magic Bounce)

- Protect
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Will-o-Wisp

Another Stall standard. While not as much of a lock as Chansey/Skarm, being able to lead off w/ this guy, and catch opposing hazards is key to victory against many teams.

Kyurem @ Leftovers

EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Bold w/ Pressure

- Substitute
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

First little curve-ball on the team. SubRoost PP stalls many threats out of the game, outspeeds and OHKO's Lando-T, eats hits and 2HKO's Heatran, and easily 1v1's plenty of other common threats. Even with not the most impressive defensive typing, fantastic base stats can really carry Kyurem.

Tapu-Bulu @ Leftovers

EVs: 224 HP / 52 Def / 232 SpD
Careful w/ Grassy Terrain

- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge

My favourite tweak to your typical stall team. Acts similar to Clefable, as it can come in on many different set-up mons and dragon types. Much like Kyurem, Bulu hits extremely hard with zero investment. Grassy Terrain is a huge boost, as it does a semi-decent wish impersonation. Wood Hammer > Horn Leech, as it allows for more neutral 2HKO's (in terrain), as well as some OHKO's. The second attacking slot is a bit of an issue for me right now. I've been flipping between Stone Edge, Superpower and Zen Headbutt. Stone Edge has performed the best, but I'm still not entirely sold on it.

Threats:

- Taunt + Z-Move LeLe/Gyarados/Heatran throws a real wrench in the gears.

- Ferrothorn has proven to be pretty difficult to deal with, and often comes down to PP stalling them out of Gyroballs w/ Kyurem.

- Substitute + Set-Up has lead to some embarrassing defeats. Keldeo, Buzzwole & Zygarde being the big ones.

- Z Rain Dance Manaphy. Yikes

Still getting back into the swing of things, and would love some advice from experienced stall players as to any changes that can be made. I'm still not entirely sold on the Bulu slot, but I haven't really missed running Clef, and haven't had any difficulty closing out games.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)