LC Snubbull (Substitute)

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Sub Snub (Substitute)
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Play Rough
move 3: Thief
move 4: Fire Punch / Earthquake
item: Berry Juice
ability: Intimidate
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 196 Atk / 116 Def / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Substitute is a powerful tool that allows Snubbull to gain momentum off of switches it forces against Fighting-type Pokemon and take advantage of its checks. Play Rough is Snubbull's best STAB attack, and it comes with the added bonus of potentially lowering the foe's Attack. Thief allows Snubbull to steal a foe's item after using its Berry Juice via Substitute or from taking attacks; this benefits the player both by giving Snubbull a new item and by removing key items from foe Pokemon. Fire Punch is able to consistently 2HKO both Ferroseed and Foongus—both common switch-ins to Snubbull—after Stealth Rock damage; this allows Snubbull to lure and KO them from behind a Substitute. Earthquake, on the other hand, is able to 2HKO many of Snubbull's other Poison-type switch-ins, such as Croagunk and Alolan Grimer. It also hits most Steel-type Pokemon harder than Fire Punch while also taking care of threatening Fire-types, and it handles Onix well, which otherwise renders Snubbull mostly helpless.

Set Details
========

Intimidate is Snubbull's calling card, lowering the Attack of foes into which Snubbull switches by one stage. Berry Juice gives Snubbull useful recovery and allows it to take advantage of Substitute more freely. The choice between an Adamant or Jolly nature is entirely based on whether or not you want to outspeed standard Timburr sets. Without Adamant, however, Snubbull cannot 2HKO Eviolite Foongus from full HP with Fire Punch, nor can it OHKO Eviolite Timburr with Play Rough. Thus, Adamant is the recommended nature. The given EVs maximize Snubbull's Attack and Speed, allowing it to take advantage of slower foes with ease. 116 Defense EVs allow Snubbull's Substitute to avoid being broken by Timburr's Knock Off or Mach Punch and by Mienfoo's Drain Punch, Knock Off, or U-turn at -1 Attack.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Snubbull into Fighting-type Pokemon as often as possible. This set is designed to create momentum specifically against Mienfoo and Timburr, so take advantage of them as much as possible. To this end, don't be timid in your use of Substitute! Creating a Substitute allows Snubbull to block status, take weak or resisted hits, and pressure the opponent. For example, bringing Snubbull in on a Timburr will often cause your opponent to switch out their Timburr for a Pokemon better equipped to take Snubbull's powerful Play Rough, such as Ferroseed or Foongus. If you use Substitute on the switch turn, Snubbull will now be safe from status moves and will be able to 2HKO them with the appropriate coverage move. Another use of Substitute is to activate Berry Juice to restore Snubbull's HP in order to survive a strong hit and fire off one of your own, as it will activate as soon as Snubbull is below 50% HP. Additionally, your opponent may not expect Snubbull to have Substitute, which will grant you the element of surprise and may be key to luring in those key switch-ins to Snubbull. In addition to being able to steal momentum from Timburr- and Mienfoo-wielding opponents, due to Intimidate, Snubbull is an effective check to most physical attackers that lack type advantage. Lastly, be cautious of taking a Knock Off; while it will remove Snubbull's valuable Berry Juice, it will also allow it to make great use of Thief. In essence, weigh the risk of not having recovery with the reward of a guaranteed item theft.

Team Options
========

Any Pokemon that struggles to handle Fighting-types can find a great partner in Snubbull due to its overwhelming ability to pressure said Fighting-types. Prominent examples of these Pokemon include Pawniard, Omanyte, and Onix. In addition, powerful Water- and Grass-type Pokemon such as Corphish and Snivy appreciate Substitute Snubbull's ability to lure and remove threats such as Foongus, Ferroseed, Croagunk, and Alolan Grimer with its appropriate coverage move. Ground-type Pokemon have near-perfect offensive synergy with Fire Punch Snubbull, as they severely threaten the Steel- and Poison-types with which Snubbull struggles. Diglett is an extremely effective teammate due to the fact that it can trap and remove these Pokemon as opposed to merely threatening them. On the other hand, Fire-type Pokemon help take care of threats like Ferroseed that Earthquake Snubbull can't touch. While its offensive synergy is quite impressive, many Pokemon also have excellent defensive synergy with Snubbull; the best example is Ferroseed, which appreciates Snubbull's ability to check Fighting-types while taking care of the Steel- and Poison-type Pokemon to which Snubbull is vulnerable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is ready for QC, I'd appreciate some help on Team Options because I literally only use this for Fighting checks and to lure stuff so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

amcheck you know the deal
Set
Fine

Moves
Note Thief can remove Eviolite and other items from important switch ins
Note Play Rough's chance to lower Attack can come in handy, especially if mons try to use snubbs as set up bait

Set Details
Very very good :)

Usage Tips
since this is a set not a full analysis, the first line of this section should be about the role of sub snubbull and even possibly why and when you should use it over other Pokemon
also add in a line where u mention checks and counters and NEVER switch it in against Pawn
mention Croagunk exists in the current first line
be cautious but not too cautious sounds a bit wishy washy
it can soft check most physical attackers
mention Subbing or using coverage on a predicted switch
mention that this isn't a full wincon. can also do this in team options and mention good sweepers

Team Options
mons that appreciate removal of Dark-types
more examples of mons that like Fightings gone
Diglett eliminates threats (name threats)
Other things that remove Steel-, Poison-, and Fire-types (prob include Onix)
You mention things that like Foong and Ferro gone, but don't mention this is only if using Fire Punch

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey I wanna get this on site finally
Drew I don't really have the energy to fully go over your amcheck so I've just kind of folded it into a check here. If you are curious about why I did/didn't include anything you recommended in my check, feel free to hit me up on Discord.

[SET]
Yep

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Mention Play Rough can lower Attack
  • Mention Thief can benefit a team by removing foe's items
  • Talk about why you'd want to run Fire Punch/Earthquake (to hit Pokemon that typically come in on Snubs when it will have set up a Sub)

Usage Tips
========
  • This could use beefing up in write-up
  • Mention that Substitute will be unexpected and talk about how to take advantage of this
  • Talk about how this set can also be used to blanket check physical attackers
  • Talk about using Sub to activate Berry Juice when applicable
  • Talk about how being behind a Sub allows Snubbull to better take on some things that switch into it, give specific examples

Team Options
========
  • Talk about things that pair well with Snubs defensively (Ferro comes to mind)
  • I think everything Drew suggested in this section is good
Cute as usual, long-belated 1/3

Berks

has a Calm Mind
Hey I wanna get this on site finally
Drew I don't really have the energy to fully go over your amcheck so I've just kind of folded it into a check here. If you are curious about why I did/didn't include anything you recommended in my check, feel free to hit me up on Discord.

[SET]
Yep

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Mention Play Rough can lower Attack
  • Mention Thief can benefit a team by removing foe's items
  • Talk about why you'd want to run Fire Punch/Earthquake (to hit Pokemon that typically come in on Snubs when it will have set up a Sub)

Usage Tips
========
  • This could use beefing up in write-up
  • Mention that Substitute will be unexpected and talk about how to take advantage of this
  • Talk about how this set can also be used to blanket check physical attackers
  • Talk about using Sub to activate Berry Juice when applicable
  • Talk about how being behind a Sub allows Snubbull to better take on some things that switch into it, give specific examples

Team Options
========
  • Talk about things that pair well with Snubs defensively (Ferro comes to mind)
  • I think everything Drew suggested in this section is good
Cute as usual, long-belated 1/3
great check, greater checker, did it, let's go for 2!

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[SET]

This is fine

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Mention that Earthquake also hits most Steel-types, like Pawniard and Magnemite, harder than Fire Punch, while also hitting the relatively rare Fire-types that resist Play Rough, like Torch/Pony.
Set Details
========
  • Specify Eviolite Foongus and Timburr in the Adamant vs Jolly point
Usage Tips
========
  • 'Be cautious, but not too cautious' can you be any more vague?
Team Options
========
  • Mention that Ground-types are especially good partners for Fire Punch Snubbull, while Fire-types synergize well with EQ Snubbull, as they are capable of dealing with the threats Snubs can't touch
You did a good, QC 2/3

Berks

has a Calm Mind
[SET]

This is fine

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Mention that Earthquake also hits most Steel-types, like Pawniard and Magnemite, harder than Fire Punch, while also hitting the relatively rare Fire-types that resist Play Rough, like Torch/Pony.
Set Details
========
  • Specify Eviolite Foongus and Timburr in the Adamant vs Jolly point
Usage Tips
========
  • 'Be cautious, but not too cautious' can you be any more vague?
Team Options
========
  • Mention that Ground-types are especially good partners for Fire Punch Snubbull, while Fire-types synergize well with EQ Snubbull, as they are capable of dealing with the threats Snubs can't touch
You did a good, QC 2/3
implemented, written up, and ready for a fresh 3/3

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Fire Punch is able to 2HKO both Ferroseed and Foongus (both common switch-ins to Snubbull), allowing Snubbull to lure and KO them from behind a Substitute.
not technically wrong but fire punch only cleanly 2hkoes foongus when snub is adamant and gets a 1/16 on one of the rolls, so it seems a bit disingenuous to say it like this. adamant does get the 2hko extremely consistently after SR damage, but like i also understand it's awkward to phrase that so you can leave it if you like.

you also clarify it later in details so i spose it's fine as-is

it doesn't mean a ton but maybe worth mentioning that, if snub steals a choice scarf from something like scarffoo, jolly lets it beat 18 speed pokes and tie with 19, while adamant only ties with 18. 18/19 is a super important tier so that's worth thinking about

Earthquake, on the other hand, is able to 2HKO many of Snubbull's other Poison-type switch-ins, such as Croagunk and Alolan Grimer. It also hits most Steel-type Pokemon harder than Fire Punch while also taking care of threatening Fire-types.
also for onix, who otherwise gets too many eqs off on snub and makes it mostly useless

116 Defense EVs allow Snubbull's Substitute to avoid being broken by neither Timburr's Knock Off or Mach Punch nor Mienfoo's Drain Punch, Knock Off, or U-turn at -1 Attack.
seems obvious that mach won't break snubb's sub at -1; do you mean timb's knock off + mach won't break? this doesn't seem to be the case so i'm not super sure why it's mentioned here

i guess timb mach breaks sub without intimidate (13/16) but the phrasing is a bit confusing to that end

i'm a huge fan of subbull, such a disruptive and useful set

3/3

Berks

has a Calm Mind
So leaving for two years is what it takes to get a 3/3 around here huh

I’ll implement when I get home from Thor lol

Berks

has a Calm Mind
not technically wrong but fire punch only cleanly 2hkoes foongus when snub is adamant and gets a 1/16 on one of the rolls, so it seems a bit disingenuous to say it like this. adamant does get the 2hko extremely consistently after SR damage, but like i also understand it's awkward to phrase that so you can leave it if you like.

you also clarify it later in details so i spose it's fine as-is

it doesn't mean a ton but maybe worth mentioning that, if snub steals a choice scarf from something like scarffoo, jolly lets it beat 18 speed pokes and tie with 19, while adamant only ties with 18. 18/19 is a super important tier so that's worth thinking about

also for onix, who otherwise gets too many eqs off on snub and makes it mostly useless

seems obvious that mach won't break snubb's sub at -1; do you mean timb's knock off + mach won't break? this doesn't seem to be the case so i'm not super sure why it's mentioned here

i guess timb mach breaks sub without intimidate (13/16) but the phrasing is a bit confusing to that end

i'm a huge fan of subbull, such a disruptive and useful set

3/3
okay so on that last point I listed Mach Punch simply because I wanted it to be inclusive; the 116 EVs prevent Knock from breaking sub, but seeing as I didn't want some total scrub to somehow think Mach could break without the EVs, I just included it.

everything should be spit spot spick and span now so let's go to GP!

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
and godspeed
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Substitute is a powerful tool that allows Snubbull to gain momentum off of switches it forces against Fighting-type Pokemon that allows it to lure in and take advantage of its checks. Play Rough is Snubbull's best STAB attack, and it comes with added bonus of potentially lowering the foe's Attack. Thief allows Snubbull to steal a foe's item after using its Berry Juice via Substitute or taking attacks; this benefits the player both by giving Snubbull a new item and by removing key items from foe Pokemon. Fire Punch is able to consistently 2HKO both Ferroseed and Foongus—both common switch-ins to Snubbull—after Stealth Rock damage; this allows Snubbull to lure them and KO them from behind a Substitute. Earthquake, on the other hand, is able to 2HKO many of Snubbull's other Poison-type switch-ins, such as Croagunk and Alolan Grimer. It also hits most Steel-type Pokemon harder than Fire Punch while also taking care of threatening Fire-types, and it handles Onix well, which otherwise renders Snubbull mostly moot helpless.

Set Details
========

Intimidate is Snubbull's calling card, lowering the Attack of foes into which Snubbull switches by one stage. Berry Juice gives Snubbull useful recovery and allows Snubbull it to take advantage of Substitute more freely. The choice between an Adamant or Jolly nature is entirely based on whether or not you want to outspeed standard Timburr sets. Without Adamant, however, Snubbull cannot 2HKO Eviolite Foongus from full HP with Fire Punch, nor can it OHKO Eviolite Timburr with Play Rough. As such, Tthus, Adamant is the recommended nature. The given EVs maximize Snubbull's Attack and Speed, allowing it to take advantage of slower foes with ease. 116 Defense EVs allow Snubbull's Substitute to avoid being broken by neither Timburr's Knock Off or Mach Punch nor and by Mienfoo's Drain Punch, Knock Off, or U-turn at -1 Attack.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Snubbull into Fighting-type Pokemon as often as possible. This set is designed to create momentum specifically against Mienfoo and Timburr, so take advantage of them as much as possible. To this end, don't be timid in your use of Substitute! Creating a Substitute allows Snubbull to block status, take weak or resisted hits, and overall pressure opponents. For example, bringing Snubbull in on a Timburr will often cause your opponent to switch out their Timburr for a Pokemon better equipped to take Snubbull's powerful Play Rough, such as Ferroseed or Foongus. If you use Substitute on the switch turn, Snubbull will now be safe from status moves from those Pokemon and will be able to 2HKO them with the appropriate coverage move. Another use of Substitute is to activate Berry Juice to restore Snubbull's HP in order to survive a strong hit and fire off one of your own, as it will activate as soon as Snubbull is below 50% HP. Additionally, your opponent may not expect Snubbull to have Substitute, which will grant you the element of surprise and may be key to luring in those key switch-ins to Snubbull. In addition to being able to steal momentum from Timburr- and Mienfoo-wielding opponents, due to Intimidate, Snubbull is an effective check to most physical attackers which that lack type advantage. Lastly, be cautious (but not too cautious) of taking a Knock Off; while it will remove Snubbull's valuable Berry Juice, it will also allow it to make great use of Thief. In essence, weigh the risk of not having recovery with the reward of a guaranteed item theft.

Team Options
========

Any Pokemon that struggles to handle Fighting-type Pokemon can find a great partner in Snubbull due to its overwhelming ability to pressure said Fighting-types. Prominent examples of these Pokemon include Pawniard, Omanyte, and Onix. In addition, powerful Water- and Grass-type Pokemon such as Corphish and Snivy appreciate Substitute Snubbull's ability to lure and remove threats such as Foongus, Ferroseed, Croagunk, or and Alolan Grimer with its appropriate coverage move. Ground-type Pokemon have near-perfect (AH) offensive synergy with Fire Punch Snubbull, as they severely threaten the Steel- and Poison-type Pokemon with which Snubbull struggles. Diglett is an extremely effective teammate due to the fact that it can trap and remove these Pokemon as opposed to merely threatening them. On the other hand, Fire-type Pokemon help take care of threats like Ferroseed that Earthquake Snubbull can't touch. While its offensive synergy is quite impressive, many Pokemon also have excellent defensive synergy with Snubbull; the best example is Ferroseed, who which appreciates Snubbull's ability to check Fighting-type Pokemon while taking care of the Steel- and Poison-type Pokemon to which Snubbull is vulnerable.

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
GP 2/2
add remove comments
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Substitute is a powerful tool that allows Snubbull to gain momentum off of switches it forces against Fighting-type Pokemon and take advantage of its checks. Play Rough is Snubbull's best STAB attack, and it comes with the added bonus of potentially lowering the foe's Attack. Thief allows Snubbull to steal a foe's item after using its Berry Juice via Substitute or from taking attacks; this benefits the player both by giving Snubbull a new item and by removing key items from foe Pokemon. Fire Punch is able to consistently 2HKO both Ferroseed and Foongus—both common switch-ins to Snubbull—after Stealth Rock damage; this allows Snubbull to lure them and KO them from behind a Substitute. Earthquake, on the other hand, is able to 2HKO many of Snubbull's other Poison-type switch-ins, such as Croagunk and Alolan Grimer. It also hits most Steel-type Pokemon harder than Fire Punch while also taking care of threatening Fire-types, and it handles Onix well, which otherwise renders Snubbull mostly helpless.

Set Details
========

Intimidate is Snubbull's calling card, lowering the Attack of foes into which Snubbull switches by one stage. Berry Juice gives Snubbull useful recovery and allows it to take advantage of Substitute more freely. The choice between an Adamant or Jolly nature is entirely based on whether or not you want to outspeed standard Timburr sets. Without Adamant, however, Snubbull cannot 2HKO Eviolite Foongus from full HP with Fire Punch, nor can it OHKO Eviolite Timburr with Play Rough. Thus, Adamant is the recommended nature. The given EVs maximize Snubbull's Attack and Speed, allowing it to take advantage of slower foes with ease. 116 Defense EVs allow Snubbull's Substitute to avoid being broken by Timburr's Knock Off or Mach Punch and by Mienfoo's Drain Punch, Knock Off, or U-turn at -1 Attack.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Snubbull into Fighting-type Pokemon as often as possible. This set is designed to create momentum specifically against Mienfoo and Timburr, so take advantage of them as much as possible. To this end, don't be timid in your use of Substitute! Creating a Substitute allows Snubbull to block status, take weak or resisted hits, and overall pressure the opponents. For example, bringing Snubbull in on a Timburr will often cause your opponent to switch out their Timburr for a Pokemon better equipped to take Snubbull's powerful Play Rough, such as Ferroseed or Foongus. If you use Substitute on the switch turn, Snubbull will now be safe from status moves from those Pokemon and will be able to 2HKO them with the appropriate coverage move. Another use of Substitute is to activate Berry Juice to restore Snubbull's HP in order to survive a strong hit and fire off one of your own, as it will activate as soon as Snubbull is below 50% HP. Additionally, your opponent may not expect Snubbull to have Substitute, which will grant you the element of surprise and may be key to luring in those key switch-ins to Snubbull. In addition to being able to steal momentum from Timburr- and Mienfoo-wielding opponents, due to Intimidate, Snubbull is an effective check to most physical attackers that lack type advantage. Lastly, be cautious (but not too cautious) (imo this could be seen as too casual for analyses, but it's up to you) of taking a Knock Off; while it will remove Snubbull's valuable Berry Juice, it will also allow it to make great use of Thief. In essence, weigh the risk of not having recovery with the reward of a guaranteed item theft.

Team Options
========

Any Pokemon that struggles to handle Fighting-types Pokemon can find a great partner in Snubbull due to its overwhelming ability to pressure said Fighting-types. Prominent examples of these Pokemon include Pawniard, Omanyte, and Onix. In addition, powerful Water- and Grass-type Pokemon such as Corphish and Snivy appreciate Substitute Snubbull's ability to lure and remove threats such as Foongus, Ferroseed, Croagunk, and Alolan Grimer with its appropriate coverage move. Ground-type Pokemon have near-perfect offensive synergy with Fire Punch Snubbull, as they severely threaten the Steel- and Poison-types Pokemon with which Snubbull struggles. Diglett is an extremely effective teammate due to the fact that it can trap and remove these Pokemon as opposed to merely threatening them. On the other hand, Fire-type Pokemon help take care of threats like Ferroseed that Earthquake Snubbull can't touch. While its offensive synergy is quite impressive, many Pokemon also have excellent defensive synergy with Snubbull; the best example is Ferroseed, which appreciates Snubbull's ability to check Fighting-types Pokemon while taking care of the Steel- and Poison-type Pokemon to which Snubbull is vulnerable. (cutting down on repetition of pokemon)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)