Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
We already have a !roomevents command, but would it be possible to have something similar for projects? Specifically in the Monotype room, we have a lot of projects on the forums that we would like to advertise in a similar format to the one used for events. !projects or !roomprojects would be ideal.

Last edited:
Can we not use cookies as a way to save? People like me play games everywhere and on different devices. Saving is a MUST.
What I do is back up all my teams on a pastebin and then save it on Google Drive so that I can access it on any device or load them back if I lose my teams.

What better (and feasible) alternative would we use? Saving thousands upon thousands (I have well over 100 myself and that's not especially large) of teams to usernames looks like a huge burden on the client.
This is also a big reason we have the import/export feature, to conviniently copy teams to and from pastebin etc. so you can transfer teams across devices.

What I might reccomend doing, and what I do myself, is to keep the majority of teams on my main device and transfer a few key teams to secondary devices.
don't you get tired of it? Saving, copy, and pasting..... life eh?

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That sounds unnecessary, it's much safer to just keep your teams stored in a pastebin or anything where you can save text stuff, you can make as many copies as you want from them as long as the format is the same so you can use it in case you change the device. So for me that is actually a pretty good way. It doesn't really take any effort to do that.

You're still not providing a feasible alternative to the current system. What we have in place is the best way of saving teams without placing unnecessary strain on the server.
hire advance coders and have regular server maintenance, simple

I am kind of new to Showdown but one of the only problems/annoyances I have had are people who timer stall or leave without forfeiting to end a battle. It appears to be a common problem and I was just wondering why there is no timer stall penalty, such as loosing more points for a timer stall loss. Even if someone actually forgot they were playing Showdown and accidentally runs the timer down it should not be that big of a deal to earn those points back as the penalty shouldn't be that large but any penalty would most likely discourage people from resorting to that method of ending a battle and would, in my opinion, make Showdown even more enjoyable.

Global Staff deal with reports of timerstalling so when it happens you can contact them(find them in the Help room). A tougher penalty would be difficult to implement especially since the server would have to automatically detect whether the person is timerstalling or not since it's hard to prove and staff usually have to use their own judgement. It's just something you should report and not let annoy you to be honest, people do it to be annoying when they know they've lost. Fyi I usually just start another battle while waiting for the timer if my opponent ragequits.

Similarly to how you can search for specific things in /modlog, it'd be cool if you could exclude certain messages as well (like with parameters). I'm not sure if this affects other rooms, but ever since hunts have become official "games" (like battles where they appear under "Games:" on the left side), the modlog is usually cluttered with only those messages. The typical modlog looks like this:

scav modlog.PNG

So, if I could do something like /modlog !scavenger hunt, I would probably see what a normal room's modlog is like.

This "issue" probably doesn't effect many other rooms, but I think it'd still be a nice feature to have, if it's codeable, especially because of the fact that you can search for specific phrases, but you can't exclude them (yet, hopefully).

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Tournament name saving
Not too long ago, a new feature was added to the tour script. It allowed you to rename a tournament.
It has occurred to me that those names don't save the tournament settings. It would be cool to have those saved.
In Cafe Le Wow, for example, we tend to make Foodmons tournaments which is a custom format for Cafe Le Wow only.
A feature that allowed us to do "/tour Foodmons", instead of "/tour [format], elimination" and then separately adding the ban list.
This would also apply to rooms such as Chess, who also have a custom format within the room.

Also adding a command that displays all custom tournaments within the room would be useful.

----------------

Custom room ranks
If room owners were allowed to add custom ranks to their room, that would come in handy in multiple occasions.
Certain rooms have their own gym leader system. Adding secondary ranks like "Elite Four", "Gym Leader", "Champion" etc. would come in handy.

Maybe something like: "/addrank [name], [symbol], [required rank for promotion]"

Would be incredibly useful if this could be realized.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Add an Unreleased parameter to the "/ds" command.

This would mainly help game rooms and maybe some meta rooms, but having unreleased Pokemon show up in /ds as a separate would be pretty useful for normal people as well.
I like this idea a lot and to add to it, "!unreleased" as a parameter could be helpful if you're just looking for pokemon that are released. It would be particularly helpful when looking for mega evolutions so we could see which ones are released/unreleased.

I like this idea a lot and to add to it, "!unreleased" as a parameter could be helpful if you're just looking for pokemon that are released. It would be particularly helpful when looking for mega evolutions so we could see which ones are released/unreleased.
Actually, unreleased Pokémon aren't shown by default, so "/ds mega" will only show those megas whose stones are released.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Hey so I just got a one thing to ask of you guys. How come GBA sprites aren't on Showdown. I'd really enjoy the Extra Options Please and Thank you

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Not sure if this is the right place to address this, but I'd like for Random Battles to give us different Rotom-Fan sets. This must be a meme, since Air Balloon is literally beyond useless on it, but i'd still appreciate a serious item. If there's a place to suggest a set, I'd also like to know where since there are some sets I have in mind.

Not sure if this is the right place to address this, but I'd like for Random Battles to give us different Rotom-Fan sets. This must be a meme, since Air Balloon is literally beyond useless on it, but i'd still appreciate a serious item. If there's a place to suggest a set, I'd also like to know where since there are some sets I have in mind.
It probably won't happen, since Rotom-Fan is pretty bad already and has had that set for a while.
Also, I refer you to this:

Remove the suggested spread button. The suggested spread are usually terrible and your alway better off going to the smogon analysis. It's just annoying when I'm trying to help someone new and they think max hp max max defense Alakazam is a standard set because the teambuilder told them.

Remove the suggested spread button. The suggested spread are usually terrible and your alway better off going to the smogon analysis. It's just annoying when I'm trying to help someone new and they think max hp max max defense Alakazam is a standard set because the teambuilder told them.
Physically defensive Alakazam new meta

I'd move the button to the bottom of the screen. It 'sometimes' gives alright spreads (particularly in terms of HP divisions or lower level spreads) so I wouldn't remove it. Just place it in somewhere so that it becomes clear it does not have the final word.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the help, but is there any place where I can suggest or talk about potential randbats sets?
Yep, the Sun/Moon random battle set thread here.
The suggested spread button is an accessibility feature for casual players that could get lost and see EVs as an obstacle; "fine" spreads do the trick here. Smogon spreads are generally better, but the majority of players do not use them, be it lack of awareness/desire to innovate/etc. If you know how EVs work and have played a few matches, it should become apparent that the button isn't the final word.
If anything, a name change (such as to Possible Spread, Basic Spread, etc.) could more clearly denote its function, but I think the button serves its purpose regardless. If there are specific ways you think it can improve, though, let us know.

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
So i got some other meta suggestions. (OU and below unless specified)

First off we have: Past and Present.

Where we merge the battle mechanics from gen1 and the pokemon,moves,and abilities from gen7.

Pokemon such as Regice, Latias, Goodra, and Mantine would be incredibly good.

Then we have Hidden Specialty.

Where depending on the type of your hidden power, you gain that type. (you dont need to have hidden power on your moveset)

Pokemon such as Shedinja,Charizard-Y, Clefable, and Blastoise would be good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)