Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Something I randomly thought of. As far as I'm concerned the character limit for both Private Messages and Chat messages is 300, not implying that everyone sends that kind of content everytime everyday but, wouldn't it be useful to have a character counter at the bottom right of the PM window and chat window respectively?

Not sure if this is a bug or the way the new mechanic worked out, but I'm having a lot of problems with the new VGC timer system. The new system will Auto-select pokemon/moves for you if you time out so you don't get DQ'ed for thinking too long (Thats the way it works in game). However, I've had several games now where my opponent will leave, so I'm stuck waiting until time every turn and fighting their 'mons even though they aren't there. I feel like loss on inactivity needs to come back, considering the nature of showdown and its players. At the very least, going to time on team select should be a DQ, because that would be the best indicator that they are not actually there.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Not sure if this is a bug or the way the new mechanic worked out, but I'm having a lot of problems with the new VGC timer system. The new system will Auto-select pokemon/moves for you if you time out so you don't get DQ'ed for thinking too long (Thats the way it works in game). However, I've had several games now where my opponent will leave, so I'm stuck waiting until time every turn and fighting their 'mons even though they aren't there. I feel like loss on inactivity needs to come back, considering the nature of showdown and its players. At the very least, going to time on team select should be a DQ, because that would be the best indicator that they are not actually there.
I agree with this statement as it seems easily abusable on the other end if you are actually there and just timer stalling.

Whenever CAP players use Tailwind or Trick Room with the CAP Pokemon Fidgit and its ability Persistent (which extends the two moves listed before by two turns), it only shows the battle screen effect for the normal 3 (in the case of Tailwind) or 5 turns (in the case of Trick Room). However, Persistent still extends the duration of these moves by two turns, which isn't implied by the battle screen. Can you make this so it's like the messages displaying how many turns Rain are left (ex: except saying "5 or 8 turns left", "5 or 7 turns left" for TR and same for Tailwind)

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
idk where tf this goes so im posting this here. is it possible to make the caps and stretch filter less sensitive? so extend the amount of characters needed to trigger the filter. cuz right now, mainly with stretch filter, it invalidates certain usernames making them unable to talk in rooms with the filter on, and often times the ros wont turn them off when asked. as for how much the character limit should be now if we extend it, im thinking the limit should be 8.
we all know the reason is that i want to be able to talk in certain rooms with my name all spaced out and caps

Stealth Rocks run rampant and unchecked in Randoms. Can they be made less common? Or at least have the counters be made more common?

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
you know how tournaments give you those notifications saying "please respond within x seconds or you will automatically be disqualified"? why don't those come up whenever a battle becomes available instead of just coming up randomly?

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Could the Chat button that appear when you click someone's name become click-able and not grey-ed out? You can PM yourself by using the /w command, so why not let the chat button open a chat window with yourself. I often tell users to test formatting in PMs with themselves, and some say that's not possible, because they didn't try to use the /w command. So I think this change could be helpful in clearing up confusion.

Raidx

Banned deucer.
I was wondering if it would be possible to have it to where if a fellow staff member posts a modnote, it highlights all staff members. There are times when I would modnote but since staff are probably in other rooms or in a different tab they don`t see it so it just goes ignored, and it wouldnt be necessary to PM all staff in the room lol, that would be ridiculous. Would be a great implementation imo.

I was wondering if it would be possible to have it to where if a fellow staff member posts a modnote, it highlights all staff members. There are times when I would modnote but since staff are probably in other rooms or in a different tab they don`t see it so it just goes ignored, and it wouldnt be necessary to PM all staff in the room lol, that would be ridiculous. Would be a great implementation imo.
I can't say I agree with this. Modnotes are very useful when it comes to leaving information that will be useful at a later date, they are not intended to be used to converse.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
What Teremiare said and that there are plenty of 3rd party options for staff conversations such as discord or even staff sub-rooms that rooms can request. It inconveniences all that doesn't use modnotes for conversations.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Admittedly, I forget what I vote on room polls sometimes. It just stays up for so long that sometimes I forget it was even a thing, let alone what I voted for. How about changing the color or bolding the option you chose to remind you what you picked? Could also be a nice way to "prove" what you voted for, in case you needed to do that for whatever reason.

Being able to see previous poll results would be great since some of them are interesting, but I'm not always there to see it. I don't want to suggest anything convoluted though for something that takes more effort than its worth
this is already done, the option you chose is shown in italics

Raidx

Banned deucer.
What Teremiare said and that there are plenty of 3rd party options for staff conversations such as discord or even staff sub-rooms that rooms can request. It inconveniences all that doesn't use modnotes for conversations.
True i suppose I could request a subroom or something

Perhaps an underline would make the chosen option stand out better.
I think an asterisk next to it would be the most clear (I think that's what happens on thread polls?). I have to admit that even with a screenshot and an arrow pointed at it it took me a minute to notice the italics.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Would the music licensing allow for an update on the soundtrack? Gladion's Theme in particular is a fan favorite but it's missing, and some of the tracks are really old or just honestly not that popular, such as the BW1 Rival Theme.

Would the music licensing allow for an update on the soundtrack? Gladion's Theme in particular is a fan favorite but it's missing, and some of the tracks are really old or just honestly not that popular, such as the BW1 Rival Theme.
Most of this is due to copyright concerns and what's been paid for and able to be gotten. I'd suggest hitting the sound icon in the top right and muting the "Music Volume" and then playing anything you like through youtube.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi I would like to suggest two things.

1. I would really like an @here option for mods in their rooms. It would be similar to how a tour alerts the room for when you're hosting something like teambats or a workshop. Its also useful when linking important topics such as bans or other stuff. Mod only for said room because it could be easy to abuse, but it would also be a super useful tool.

2. Adding a function when creating a tour where you could forcetimer for all matches in the tour would be super useful. It would be similar to setting a dq timer for matches and would automatically start timer in every single tour match. Right now in roomtours that I've hosted recently and in the past there are instances where I or others are waiting for 45 minutes for finals. Forcing the timer could make these finals come about in a more timely pace as its hard to keep track of whether or not battles are being slow or people aren't making moves in a timely manner.

Hi I would like to suggest two things.

1. I would really like an @here option for mods in their rooms. It would be similar to how a tour alerts the room for when you're hosting something like teambats or a workshop. Its also useful when linking important topics such as bans or other stuff. Mod only for said room because it could be easy to abuse, but it would also be a super useful tool.

2. Adding a function when creating a tour where you could forcetimer for all matches in the tour would be super useful. It would be similar to setting a dq timer for matches and would automatically start timer in every single tour match. Right now in roomtours that I've hosted recently and in the past there are instances where I or others are waiting for 45 minutes for finals. Forcing the timer could make these finals come about in a more timely pace as its hard to keep track of whether or not battles are being slow or people aren't making moves in a timely manner.
1. This already exists for roomowners with "/declare", and I personally don't want a similar command to be available for mods as it could get real spammy/annoying real fast.
2. This also exists, "/tour forcetimer" does exactly what you're looking for.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1. This already exists for roomowners with "/declare", and I personally don't want a similar command to be available for mods as it could get real spammy/annoying real fast.
2. This also exists, "/tour forcetimer" does exactly what you're looking for.
Didn't see the second one when I was looking, the first one I know exists for ROs. The reason I'm requesting the @here for mods is because it could be a very useful tool. I find myself wanting it all the time when I host a teambattle, I get PMs after its over saying I would have liked to join. Yes it could get spammy, but at the same time it could be a RO decision to turn on / off like hangman and other things are. If its getting abused then its pretty easy to tell the mod abusing it to not do so, or if it persists having an RO turn it off or to demote the offending mod.

The timer system for VGC really NEEDS to be fixed. At the moment, when someone times out, the game will auto select the first move slot for each pokemon. This is a good idea, because that is how it works on the DS games as well. However, because of the nature of showdown's platform, people are much more likely to leave battles prematurely, or close the window without forfeiting. This is an issue for this current system because an opponent can leave, and you still have to finish the battle with the "AI" auto-selecting the moves. On the DS games, if someone were to let their timer run out every turn, they would eventually run out of "my time" and would lose the battle. Because showdown has not properly implemented that system, the battle can continue on much longer than it should. For example, I just had a battle where I was in a PP war with an opponent, Snorlax vs Drifblim. My snorlax had more total PP than their Drifblim, so they decided to leave. However, they went offline instead of moving on to another battle. Presumably by closing the window without forfeiting first. Because of that, I was forced to continue the PP war, despite my opponent recognizing their defeat and leaving the battle. The left in turn 21, and the battle ended in turn 40. Worse still is that because the had left, I had to wait 60 seconds for every turn to go through. My suggestion would be to make it so, if an opponent is not in the room, the timer will DQ them. Its one thing if they take too long to plan out their moves, but if they are not even there, it is ridiculous that the battle should have to continue.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-623468996

PQD

I COULD BE BANNED!
Hello could you implant that when we specify the tier (OU/UU etc..) in the command "/smogdex" it links directly to the Pokemon analysis in the tier we want ? A thing like /smogdex Primarina, OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)