Ultra Sun & Moon OU Analysis Discussion

The Volcarona set only includes pure offensive volc and considering volcarona's rise in popularity and the potency of bulky volc to take hits and quiver dance up thatt should be a set added to analysis

The Zygarde Analysis calls for 240 HP EVs, claiming it to be a Leftovers Number. However, with 240 EVs, Zygarde has 417 HP, which is not divisible by 16. Instead, 236 HP EVs does make it divisible by 16 (416) and grants 4 spare EVs.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The Zygarde Analysis calls for 240 HP EVs, claiming it to be a Leftovers Number. However, with 240 EVs, Zygarde has 417 HP, which is not divisible by 16. Instead, 236 HP EVs does make it divisible by 16 (416) and grants 4 spare EVs.
A Leftovers number is any number divisible by 16 + 1. This grants one more HP to be recovered while minimizing Stealth Rock, burn, and poison damage.

Mantine > Bulky Support > Team Options

"Pokemon that can deal with physical attackers that threaten Mantine, such as Mega Venusaur and Amoongus counter threats like Landorus-T quite well, and Mantine can deal with the Fire-types which force them out."

Missing an S.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mantine > Bulky Support > Team Options

"Pokemon that can deal with physical attackers that threaten Mantine, such as Mega Venusaur and Amoongus counter threats like Landorus-T quite well, and Mantine can deal with the Fire-types which force them out."

Missing an S.
Put this on the CMS

Think it could be worth mentioning Darkium Z Memento on Latios's analysis? Z-Memento fully heals the switch in in addition to crippling the target. This can give another sweeper a second chance, as well as create set up opportunities, and Latios is fast enough to use it. Also I think Choice Specs Attacker and Choice Scarf Revenge Killer are a little redundant - simple Choice Specs and Choice Scarf would suffice IMO.

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, this is better suited for the Latios revamp thread which is a revamp to the onsite analysis than this thread, although I would wait until the analysis gets out of WIP to comment about this there.

Reactions: AJB
A Leftovers number is any number divisible by 16 + 1. This grants one more HP to be recovered while minimizing Stealth Rock, burn, and poison damage.
Oh, yeah. However, 416 HP and 417 HP actually do share the same amount of HP recovered, but yes, residual damage is reduced. Suffice it to say though, Zygarde is resistant to stealth rocks and immune to sandstorm, mitigating the importance of having an odd-numbered HP. The 4 spare EVs can then be put into Special Defense, totaling to 216+ EVs, which hits a jump point, thereby making more efficient use of the EVs while still recovering the same amount from Leftovers.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Charti Berry Volcarona has been picking up a bit in popularity and should be added to OO on Volc's analysis.

relevant replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-279227

"Passho Berry has niche use in preventing Choice Scarf Keldeo lacking Stone Edge and Ash-Greninja from revenge killing Volcarona when it's put at a certain range. It also should be used if another teammate is using a Z-move."

-> "Charti Berry can be used to avoid being revenge killed by Choice Scarf Keldeo and Choice Scarf Garchomp, while Passho Berry has niche use in preventing Ash-Greninja or Choice Scarf Keldeo lacking Stone Edge from revenge killing Volcarona when it's put at a certain range. One of these options should be used if another teammate is using a Z-move."

I'd like to make a case for Assault Vest Magnezone to be promoted from OO into its own set, as I have been having great success with it in recent weeks. I feel the set condenses Magnezones utility and AV Magearnas defensive capabilities somewhat, working as a great check to Tapu Koko, and Tapu Lele, though the rise of Focus Blast being used is starting to hurt. I've had best success with:

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SpD / 140 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

With more offensive spreads of 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe or 252 HP / 116 SpA / 140 Spe both modest, defiantly being worth the mention. The speed is to outpace 16 speed M.Scizor, though I'm not sure if I should Include this speed creep. Though its lack of power and fairy typing that Magearna possesses is a draw back, it can better check the likes of Tapu Koko and provide the all important utility of trapping steel types as well as still providing the all important Volt Switch for momentum. Some relevant calcs I believe:

252 SpA Magnet Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 116+ SpD Assault Vest Magnezone in Electric Terrain: 63-75 (18.3 - 21.8%) -- possible 5HKO

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 116+ SpD Assault Vest Magnezone in Psychic Terrain: 65-77 (18.8 - 22.3%) -- possible 5HKO

252+ SpA Celesteela Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 116+ SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 136-160 (39.5 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 116+ SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 99-117 (28.7 - 34%) -- 0.9% chance to 3HKO

One major draw back to the set is its severe lack of damage out put. M.Scizor can U-Turn out and Celesteela or Ferrothorn has both Leech Seed and Protect, Magnezone will become out severely weakened after a drawn out battle. However M.Scizor will be taking a sizeable chunk, keeping it low, and the more offensive spreads are provided to AV Magnezone better trap both these Pokemon.

Defensive Spread: 252 HP / 116 SpD / 140 Spe Calm

0 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 128 SpD Scizor-Mega: 192-228 (55.9 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 174-206 (43.7 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 168-200 (47.7 - 56.8%) -- 33.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Offensive Spread: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe Modest

252+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 230-272 (57.7 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 224-264 (63.6 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I believe its strongest niche is the condensing of both a defensive steel type and trapper into one set, freeing up more options for the team and providing a solid electric check, though this does come at the cost of a less reliable defensive steel and a less reliable trapper. Counter arguments and set changes and ideas will be much appreciated :D

Edit: Also was just thinking perhaps Knock Off users would be worth a mention in team options, removing potential shed shells from Skarmorys, Lando-T in particular as it can almost lure in Skarmory

Last edited:
Something else about Chati Berry for Volcarona: Scarf Nihilego's Power Gem doesn't OHKO at +1, it maxes out at 63%.

Overall I still think Firium Z is the better item but I agree that it's worth a mention.

How did Mega Steelix make it to OU? I'm not mad or anything; Steelix and Mudkip are my favorite pokemon. It's just that I cannot find any information as to why this is the case, and I would like to know the reason. I mean, if it really makes things easier, the XY Mega Steelix set is very useful in this metagame. That is the set that I run and I have been having decent success with it.

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
This set works wonders in conjunction with my win condition, Flynium Z mence. Mega Steelix is my most reliable rocks setter, due to its massive bulk. Invested in 200 SpD to avoid getting OHKO'd by Hydro Pumps and take weaker special hits a lot more easily. Roar is for disrupt to stop those who try to set up, and it's good for racking up stealth rock damage. Heavy Slam is STAB and takes care of fairy types and ice types, which Salamence dislikes. Earthquake is also STAB and takes care of steel types, which also helps Salamence.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How did Mega Steelix make it to OU? I'm not mad or anything; Steelix and Mudkip are my favorite pokemon. It's just that I cannot find any information as to why this is the case, and I would like to know the reason. I mean, if it really makes things easier, the XY Mega Steelix set is very useful in this metagame. That is the set that I run and I have been having decent success with it.

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
This set works wonders in conjunction with my win condition, Flynium Z mence. Mega Steelix is my most reliable rocks setter, due to its massive bulk. Invested in 200 SpD to avoid getting OHKO'd by Hydro Pumps and take weaker special hits a lot more easily. Roar is for disrupt to stop those who try to set up, and it's good for racking up stealth rock damage. Heavy Slam is STAB and takes care of fairy types and ice types, which Salamence dislikes. Earthquake is also STAB and takes care of steel types, which also helps Salamence.
This is due to an issue with usage stats - there was a server issue preventing them from being analyzed since February. Not sure why Mega Steelix is listed as OU on the smogdex. The relevant thing, though, is that Mega Steelix is not currently considered viable in OU and wont yet be receiving an analysis

This is due to an issue with usage stats - there was a server issue preventing them from being analyzed since February. Not sure why Mega Steelix is listed as OU on the smogdex. The relevant thing, though, is that Mega Steelix is not currently considered viable in OU and wont yet be receiving an analysis
Ah thanks for clarifying. I found it so weird that it just jumped from RU to OU without any major changes, lol.

Pretty sure Defenseive Fini isn't supposed to run Timid max Speed
Most defensive fini sets dont but he does have a decent speed tier and access to taunt, letting it stop a lot of setup sweepers in their tracks while outspeeding. His lack of recovery isnt even a issue most of the time as you generally can taunt and then have a free switch as they switch out their sweeper.

I think Jirachi's second set should be renamed: Specially Defensive ---> Wish

The Stealth Rock set has the exact same amount of special bulk, and the name of the other set just creates confusion IMO.

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
SubToxic Heatran is currently running the following spread on the analysis:

EVs: 232 HP / 4 Def / 32 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature

This Spread is 1 Point Slower than Shift Gear Magearna and thus gets OHKOed by Z-Focus Blast before Heatran can even move and kill it with Magma Storm.

I have no idea why the spread is this way, but to remedy this 8-12 EVs should be moved from bulk into Speed.

Modest Nature

This Spread is 1 Point Slower than Shift Gear Magearna and thus gets OHKOed by Z-Focus Blast before Heatran can even move and kill it with Magma Storm.

I have no idea why the spread is this way, but to remedy this 8-12 EVs should be moved from bulk into Speed.
If u are right that means we are all idiots lol. I would move it from hp and just speed creep with 5 evs, just outspeeding mag.
Edit: run 8 more evs not 5 turns out my one friend who gave me the idea lied to me everyone yell at matty brolic with me

Last edited:

Modest Nature

Don't worry, we talked about it earlier today about changing this spread. The new spread will likely be max speed timid or unless we come across a different one. Timid is better now because more Bulu's are starting to run Jolly and Modest Heatran will lose and SD Superpower.

There appears to have been a slight typo made in the set details when the Heatran analysis was edited: 252 Speed EVs are mentioned in the set itself, while 248 are mentioned in Set Details.

Edit: Saw a typo in this analysis, "outspeed" Jolly Tapu Bulu should be "outspeeding".

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)