Ultra Sun & Moon OU Analysis Discussion

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Volcarona and Gengar are getting a revamp so those don't really matter, nice catch on the rest thanks man

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the help! Removed all Duggy mentions from these. Like Leo said, Volc and Gengar will be updated shortly after their revamps are finished.

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
The dual screen set for koko in the other options should provide some evs spread, because when I see someone talinkg about it, they always give it different evs

On the mawile analysis, it mentions charizard x as a will o wisp user, when the bulky set is almost never seen and there is no reason to use it. I would replace it with something more relevant or just axe it in the will o wisp section.

Reactions: Wob
On the mawile analysis, it mentions charizard x as a will o wisp user, when the bulky set is almost never seen and there is no reason to use it. I would replace it with something more relevant or just axe it in the will o wisp section.
Idk i mean I agree it's very minor, but it's not entirely irrelevant. There aren't that many wisp users in the tier to begin with, so even tho it rarely runs the move it's still probably like a top 3 user of it. Add to this that boosting sets are falling out of favor, and that it has 16.4% usage at 1825 ELO and I feel like it makes it relevant enough to let someone who otherwise wouldn't think it's a possibility to get wisped by char know.

Idk i mean I agree it's very minor, but it's not entirely irrelevant. There aren't that many wisp users in the tier to begin with, so even tho it rarely runs the move it's still probably like a top 3 user of it. Add to this that boosting sets are falling out of favor, and that it has 16.4% usage at 1825 ELO and I feel like it makes it relevant enough to let someone who otherwise wouldn't think it's a possibility to get wisped by char know.
I can think of a more relavent will o wisp user. Gengar has will o wisp slashed in its offensive utility set. It also does not waste gengar s breaking potential unlike how bulky charizard x does.

On the Keldeo analysis in the choice specs set it mentions celebi as a pursuit target. Since celebi is unviable, I would put something like slowbro just say lati@s as pursuit targets.
EDIT: On the serpeior analysis in the overview, since charizard y is uncommon atm, I would replace it with heatran.

Last edited:
Magearna:

Couldn't Magearna's AV set just have max hp max spdef? those 56 spa evs (which isnt specificaly stated to do anything) cut into its mixed bulk allowing stuff like this:
252 Atk Pinsir-Mega Close Combat vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 132-156 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
4 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 133-157 (37.8 - 44.7%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
low chances but still nice to eliminate

Mega Mawile:

Couldn't this thing's AoA set get 216 speed too? mega mawile 2hkos 0 hp alohan maro (which is the on-site set) after rocks, but gets outsped by max speed maro
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 128-151 (49 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited by a moderator:
On Magearna's AV set, I think it could be worth it to mention Iron Head since its an option that has been getting popular since it allows it to deal with double dance Magearna instead of being complete set up bait. I also agree with making AV Magearna have max HP since the special attack investment doesn't really matter at all and the extra bulk can help in some scenarios.

Personally I think Scarf Kartana should be moved to OO. Leaf Blade and Smart Strike have poor coverage while Sacred Sword, Night Slash and Psycho Cut are weak if not super effective. None of the moves it normally uses are good to be locked into, and being a Scarf user that can't revenge a healthy Volcarona makes it even worse.

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
On Magearna's AV set, I think it could be worth it to mention Iron Head since its an option that has been getting popular since it allows it to deal with double dance Magearna instead of being complete set up bait. I also agree with making AV Magearna have max HP since the special attack investment doesn't really matter at all and the extra bulk can help in some scenarios.
Yeah I very much agree with this, and was planning on making Iron Head primary slash on it but forgot. Also made Magearna HP > SpA investment for AV.

On the ferrothorn analysis, it meantions electric types in the checks and counters section. Since ferrothorn is one of the best of tapu kokos, the most common electric type ATM checks, I would change it to electric types with fire coverage, as all the electric types in that section have fire coverage anyway.

Gary

On the ferrothorn analysis, it meantions electric types in the checks and counters section. Since ferrothorn is one of the best of tapu kokos, the most common electric type ATM checks, I would change it to electric types with fire coverage, as all the electric types in that section have fire coverage anyway.
Done.

Personally I think Scarf Kartana should be moved to OO. Leaf Blade and Smart Strike have poor coverage while Sacred Sword, Night Slash and Psycho Cut are weak if not super effective. None of the moves it normally uses are good to be locked into, and being a Scarf user that can't revenge a healthy Volcarona makes it even worse.
Highly disagree. Scarf Kartana's main role is to decimate opposing offensive teams since Leaf Blade can ohko so many of the staple offensive menaces like lele / koko after nothing more than like...rocks damage. it's also insanely snowbally come late game and there's a reason HO, especially what i consider the best HO - gondra HO - runs this as its preferred revenge killer. many teams don't even run solid offensive countermeasures to volc and the scarf users that DO rkill volc from full (chomp, edge keld, nape) all require much more chip damage to clean up a team compared to kart

having defog as utility is also very nice since it can actually switch into ferrothorn AND be fast enough to defog against pretty much anything in a pinch. it also forces many switches which can serve as opportunities to defog as well. If you don't want to run defog, scarf return is extremely good as well to make sure you never lose to HO again in your life. it's basically as strong as smart strike and at some point in the game you just never need to switch out anymore

I undertstand that heatran is getting a revamp, but it's choice scarf set should be moved to other options. It's just flat out inferior to other scarfers and most teams don't really have a need for it, especially since that heatran can't beat ash greninja or any set up sweepers. We don't want to fool newer players into using bad sets.
Also specially defensive is listed before offensive, when it should be the other way around.

I undertstand that heatran is getting a revamp, but it's choice scarf set should be moved to other options. It's just flat out inferior to other scarfers and most teams don't really have a need for it, especially since that heatran can't beat ash greninja or any set up sweepers. We don't want to fool newer players into using bad sets.
Also specially defensive is listed before offensive, when it should be the other way around.
this was discussed on the discord, it's being moved to oo.

The victini analysis is pretty outdated, as it has a choice band set on its analysis and the overview makes it appear that victim is niche is a wall breaker, which it's not. Obviously, victinis niche is a sweeper with Z celebrate.
Edit: who the heck says choic Evans auto correct

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)