SM OU Sun/Sand Offense: Peaked 1745 (+)

How much of a shakeup does this team need?

• A complete change, it's too specific for a few swap-outs

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Change a couple mons

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Tweak the movesets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a b

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm a bit out of practice in this current meta, but I'm getting back on my feet while I've got time for it now. This is a team I built with my friend in early 2017, and lately it's still been doing well but there are consistent spots where I fall short.

I don't have the proof readily available, but according to my most recently saved Snapchat picture my highest score was 1745 (though I remember being a bit higher at some points, so hence the title).

The Team

charizard.png
Tyranitar.png
Excadrill.png
magearna.png
greninja.png
dragonite.png

This team is pretty intensely offensive, but I feel like it's still lacking. Onto the analysis:

charizard.png
Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (OR 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe)
Timid/Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost / Flame Charge

Moveset

This set is fairly standard aside from my preference of Flame Charge over Roost, but I'll get to that. Fire Blast is Charizard's strongest standard attack, often capable of shredding Landorus-T on the first turn. Solar Beam is there for coverage against rock/ground/waters, and Focus Blast deals heavy damage namely to Heatran and TTar. For the last moveslot, I tend to find that Roost doesn't see much use on my team. However, I love using Flame Charge to give it +1 Spe and start sweeping. Non-scarf Koko, Keldeo, and Greninja die to Fire Blast and Solar Beam respecively. All Landorus-T barring Focus Sash Sash are at a loss against Fire Blast as well. Outspeeding Mega Alakazam and Scarf Lele also leads to many upsets. It's very fun to get the jump on many common counters like that.

Set Details

My Timid set is fairly standard as a wallbreaker, so there's not much to explain there. Naive is something I played around with a bit since Charizard-Y doesn't really want to take physical hits anyway, and the extra boost to Flame Charge has been useful from time to time for some 2HKOs on weaker mons I don't want to risk Fire Blast for (namely, non-Sand Rush variants of Excadrill).

Tyranitar.png
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

Moveset

This is the standard Band TTar set, and it's definitely one of my favorite sets floating around right now. Banded Stone Edge is there to hit things hard (and pray for crits). Toxapex, Heatran, and other bulky mons who take neutral damage from this are very highly pressured on the switch due to this. Crunch is for more reliable accuracy and hits Ghosts and Psychics very hard. Pursuit takes Lati@s, Blacephalon, and other mons who have taken prior damage right out of the game, as well as putting considerable pressure on Chansey. Finally, Fire Punch is there to surprise regular counters such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn.

Set Details

The set is again standard, but I have played around with max HP investment and 4 SpD too and find that TTar tends to live a few hits better, but overall it seems better with Spe investment.

Excadrill.png
Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Moveset

Again a standard Sand Rush Excadrill. EQ kills things, Iron Head pressures Mega Diancie, offensive Lando-T, etc. and occasionally flinch haxes victory. Rock Slide is there for fliers, primarily Zapdos. Rapid Spin is unfortunately my only method of hazard removal, and it often has me losing momentum.

Set Details

Set is fairly standard, though I am often stuck between Adamant vs Jolly. Jolly tends to be more advantageous outside of sand though.

magearna.png
Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD (OR 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD)
Modest/Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Aura Sphere / Hidden Power [Fire]

Moveset

The moves on this set are all standard, with Volt Switch being used for momentum, Flash Canon for STAB, and Fleur Cannon for its spammable strength. After prior damage, it tends to catch Landorus (primarily offensive versions) on the switch for a KO from time to time. I'd been keeping Aura Sphere in the last moveslot for a long time, but I find that HP Fire performs better overall for its usability against Ferrothorn and Scizor, especially when sun-boosted by Zard Y's Drought.

Set Details

252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD is used alongside a Modest nature to maximize SpA while maintaining bulk with AV. With sun, it is still very much the best Greninja counter around, and this is the set that tends to net more nifty surprise KO's.
248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD is the curently standard AV set, and I do find that it tends to last a lot longer against special attackers. That being said, the damage output is noticeably lower. Still, I'm not sure if one is much better than the other.

greninja.png
Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Moveset

This protean set is often usable to bluff Ash-Gren and net KO's along the way. Hydro Pump is Greninja's strongest move, and outside of sun tends to perform well. However, I do question its usability from time to time. Ice Beam guarantees OHKO's on Lando--T, Zygarde, non-scarf Latios, and Garchomp who otherwise cause trouble to this team. Gunk Shot hits fairies including Tapu Fini (often by surprise), Tapu Bulu, and Clefable for sizable chunks of HP. Finally, HP Fire is a bit redundant but it takes care of the same things it always has, especially in the sun.

Set Details

The EVs on this set should be straightforward enough, allowing Greninja to muscle through anything in its way. However, missing out on Extrasensory means that Toxapex is ever more a threat.

dragonite.png
Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Moveset

Ah, Dragonite - this is essentially the one thing on this team that sort of works but doesn't feel like it's there half the time. My friend added this one on his own during the build and I sort of nodded along. The major thing going for it is choice-banded ESpeed that cleans up in the late game as long as Psychic Terrain isn't present. Outrage is for maximum damage on non-fairies, and in conjunction with Multiscale it guarantees OHKO's on Garchomp and Zygarde unboosted after their first attack. Thunder Punch is there for Celesteela and bulky waters, while EQ hits Toxapex, TTar, and others for solid damage. The key to this set is often the unpredictability, which again works great for the late-game.

Set Details

The max HP EVs ensure that, so long as Multiscale isn't broken, DNite gets to survive almost any first hit for free. Atk EVs serve an obvious purpose as well, ensuring maximal damage output. While Multiscale and ESpeed are essentially the reason it's here, it's very easy to have the former broken which mitigates some of its usefulness. Still, Dragonite is the reason I win some matches.

THREAT LIST

Toxapex.png

Toxapex

Once TTar and Excadrill are gone, it's down to Dragonite to take care of this thing with Earthquake, which may be difficult depending on the team. Outside of that, it completely walls the rest of my team.

Mega Gyarados.png

Mega Gyarados

Once boosted, this and Z-Gyarados rip holes in my team. Sand Rush Exca takes too long and too many losses to set up, and Magearna is essentially the last line of defense. DNite sometimes works though if Gyarados is weakened for an ESpeed.

Mega Lopunny.png

Mega Lopunny

Outside of DNite revenge kills and Excadrill sand sweeping, this really rides my team hard. I don't really have any other checks for it.

Chansey.png

Chansey
Chansey outright walls my special attackers if it spams Soft-Boiled, and Wish + Protect is just as awful. TTar takes it on well and pressures it with Pursuit, as mentioned before, but without it and Excadrill I'm essentially done for, as Dnite doesn't do so much against it. Toxic is also...well, toxic for my team.

Magnezone.png

Magnezone
Scarf variants can screw me up with TBolt and the ability to trap Magearna to some extent. Every option it has heavily damages something aside from Excadrill and full HP Dnite. On the bright side, specs sets tend to be easily beaten and one way or another it finds itself choice locked.

Tapu Koko.png

Tapu Koko
Tapu Koko is another likewise threat that boasts speed and options. Pivots and powerful attacks often leave it hard to predict, especially with the odd scarf variants hanging around to kill Zard Y even if it has +1 Spe. This always leaves me unsure how to start a match.

TEAM EXPORT

Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Flame Charge

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Other issues with the team tend to include:
  • Stealth rock management is difficult, so Zard Y and Dragonite are often screwed.
  • Sand likewise hurts Dragonite and often defeats the purpose of Multiscale
  • Stall is a bit difficult to manage
  • So is rain
  • Opposing Sand Rush Excadrill tends to kill me
CONCLUSION

I'm sure there are more issues with this team that aren't coming to mind, but so far it has been fun. I'm open to all kinds of suggestions, but honestly the team may need a whole shakeup. As long as this Tyranitar set is at the center of it though, I don't mind even if there is a large team change. I love the Band TTar set a lot.

Thanks for reading!
gyarayquaza

Last edited:
Reactions: DKM

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi, cool team. Although some of the sets seem off.

Straight away I notice this team has no scarfer, which I think should be fixed even if you have Excadrill.

658.pnglifeorb.png--> choicescarf.png
Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn

Changing Greninja to Choice Scarf helps against multiple things, notably Tapu Koko, Gyarados and other setup sweepers that threaten the team.

Relying on Excadrill for speed control isn't usually the best idea since if sand isn't up you might have to sacrifice Tyranitar just to get it in.

I've also added U-turn over HP Fire, I think U-turn is better because it gives you momentum and hits Gyarados harder. You already have HP Fire on Magearna and you have Charizard, one of the strongest fire types.

149.pngchoiceband.png--> flyiniumz.png
Dragonite @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

The next change I suggest is making Dragonite DD with Z-fly. Banded Dragonite might hit really hard but only if you get the predictions right.

DD into Z-fly is usually better for breaking holes (aka weakening Landorus) so that your Excadrill can sweep.

It can still sweep late game aswell. +1 Extreme-Speed still hits quite hard.

OR

645-s.png
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Fly
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

You could run Landorus over Dragonite, mainly for Stealth Rock, something this team lacks. It goes without saying that rocks is the best move in the game.

SD Landorus helps against stall while still fulfilling a similar role to Dragonite. The main thing it lacks is a priority move, which might be important in some matchups.

Landorus also isn't punished as much by rocks.

So it's up to you to choose who you think is better.

248.png
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Superpower over Fire Punch (for the pink blob) is the last change. It helps against stall since it hits Chansey harder and without missing.

From my experience most stall players don't switch out their Chansey in fear of pursuit, so Superpower is usually free.

You still hit Ferrothorn and Magnezone but have to hit edge vs Celesteela and Scizor, although neither of them seem too hard for this team to deal with.

That's all. I hope some of these suggestions are helpful

Importables:
Team 1: ~~006-my.png248.png530.png149.png658.png801.png~~ https://pokepast.es/b7737a9455642e83

Team 2: ~~ 006-my.png248.png530.png645-s-1.png658.png801.png~~
https://pokepast.es/80420dd2fe23affb

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
I'm a bit out of practice in this current meta, but I'm getting back on my feet while I've got time for it now. This is a team I built with my friend in early 2017, and lately it's still been doing well but there are consistent spots where I fall short.

I don't have the proof readily available, but according to my most recently saved Snapchat picture my highest score was 1745 (though I remember being a bit higher at some points, so hence the title).

The Team

View attachment 95580 View attachment 95581 View attachment 95582 View attachment 95583 View attachment 95584 View attachment 95585

This team is pretty intensely offensive, but I feel like it's still lacking. Onto the analysis:

View attachment 95580
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (OR 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe)
Timid/Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost / Flame Charge

Moveset

This set is fairly standard aside from my preference of Flame Charge over Roost, but I'll get to that. Fire Blast is Charizard's strongest standard attack, often capable of shredding Landorus-T on the first turn. Solar Beam is there for coverage against rock/ground/waters, and Focus Blast deals heavy damage namely to Heatran and TTar. For the last moveslot, I tend to find that Roost doesn't see much use on my team. However, I love using Flame Charge to give it +1 Spe and start sweeping. Non-scarf Koko, Keldeo, and Greninja die to Fire Blast and Solar Beam respecively. All Landorus-T barring Focus Sash Sash are at a loss against Fire Blast as well. Outspeeding Mega Alakazam and Scarf Lele also leads to many upsets. It's very fun to get the jump on many common counters like that.

Set Details

My Timid set is fairly standard as a wallbreaker, so there's not much to explain there. Naive is something I played around with a bit since Charizard-Y doesn't really want to take physical hits anyway, and the extra boost to Flame Charge has been useful from time to time for some 2HKOs on weaker mons I don't want to risk Fire Blast for (namely, non-Sand Rush variants of Excadrill).

View attachment 95581
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

Moveset

This is the standard Band TTar set, and it's definitely one of my favorite sets floating around right now. Banded Stone Edge is there to hit things hard (and pray for crits). Toxapex, Heatran, and other bulky mons who take neutral damage from this are very highly pressured on the switch due to this. Crunch is for more reliable accuracy and hits Ghosts and Psychics very hard. Pursuit takes Lati@s, Blacephalon, and other mons who have taken prior damage right out of the game, as well as putting considerable pressure on Chansey. Finally, Fire Punch is there to surprise regular counters such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn.

Set Details

The set is again standard, but I have played around with max HP investment and 4 SpD too and find that TTar tends to live a few hits better, but overall it seems better with Spe investment.

View attachment 95582
Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Moveset

Again a standard Sand Rush Excadrill. EQ kills things, Iron Head pressures Mega Diancie, offensive Lando-T, etc. and occasionally flinch haxes victory. Rock Slide is there for fliers, primarily Zapdos. Rapid Spin is unfortunately my only method of hazard removal, and it often has me losing momentum.

Set Details

Set is fairly standard, though I am often stuck between Adamant vs Jolly. Jolly tends to be more advantageous outside of sand though.

View attachment 95583
Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD (OR 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD)
Modest/Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Aura Sphere / Hidden Power [Fire]

Moveset

The moves on this set are all standard, with Volt Switch being used for momentum, Flash Canon for STAB, and Fleur Cannon for its spammable strength. After prior damage, it tends to catch Landorus (primarily offensive versions) on the switch for a KO from time to time. I'd been keeping Aura Sphere in the last moveslot for a long time, but I find that HP Fire performs better overall for its usability against Ferrothorn and Scizor, especially when sun-boosted by Zard Y's Drought.

Set Details

252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD is used alongside a Modest nature to maximize SpA while maintaining bulk with AV. With sun, it is still very much the best Greninja counter around, and this is the set that tends to net more nifty surprise KO's.
248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD is the curently standard AV set, and I do find that it tends to last a lot longer against special attackers. That being said, the damage output is noticeably lower. Still, I'm not sure if one is much better than the other.

View attachment 95584
Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Moveset

This protean set is often usable to bluff Ash-Gren and net KO's along the way. Hydro Pump is Greninja's strongest move, and outside of sun tends to perform well. However, I do question its usability from time to time. Ice Beam guarantees OHKO's on Lando--T, Zygarde, non-scarf Latios, and Garchomp who otherwise cause trouble to this team. Gunk Shot hits fairies including Tapu Fini (often by surprise), Tapu Bulu, and Clefable for sizable chunks of HP. Finally, HP Fire is a bit redundant but it takes care of the same things it always has, especially in the sun.

Set Details

The EVs on this set should be straightforward enough, allowing Greninja to muscle through anything in its way. However, missing out on Extrasensory means that Toxapex is ever more a threat.

View attachment 95585
Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Moveset

Ah, Dragonite - this is essentially the one thing on this team that sort of works but doesn't feel like it's there half the time. My friend added this one on his own during the build and I sort of nodded along. The major thing going for it is choice-banded ESpeed that cleans up in the late game as long as Psychic Terrain isn't present. Outrage is for maximum damage on non-fairies, and in conjunction with Multiscale it guarantees OHKO's on Garchomp and Zygarde unboosted after their first attack. Thunder Punch is there for Celesteela and bulky waters, while EQ hits Toxapex, TTar, and others for solid damage. The key to this set is often the unpredictability, which again works great for the late-game.

Set Details

The max HP EVs ensure that, so long as Multiscale isn't broken, DNite gets to survive almost any first hit for free. Atk EVs serve an obvious purpose as well, ensuring maximal damage output. While Multiscale and ESpeed are essentially the reason it's here, it's very easy to have the former broken which mitigates some of its usefulness. Still, Dragonite is the reason I win some matches.

THREAT LIST

View attachment 95586
Toxapex

Once TTar and Excadrill are gone, it's down to Dragonite to take care of this thing with Earthquake, which may be difficult depending on the team. Outside of that, it completely walls the rest of my team.

View attachment 95587
Mega Gyarados

Once boosted, this and Z-Gyarados rip holes in my team. Sand Rush Exca takes too long and too many losses to set up, and Magearna is essentially the last line of defense. DNite sometimes works though if Gyarados is weakened for an ESpeed.

View attachment 95588
Mega Lopunny

Outside of DNite revenge kills and Excadrill sand sweeping, this really rides my team hard. I don't really have any other checks for it.

View attachment 95589
Chansey
Chansey outright walls my special attackers if it spams Soft-Boiled, and Wish + Protect is just as awful. TTar takes it on well and pressures it with Pursuit, as mentioned before, but without it and Excadrill I'm essentially done for, as Dnite doesn't do so much against it. Toxic is also...well, toxic for my team.

View attachment 95590
Magnezone
Scarf variants can screw me up with TBolt and the ability to trap Magearna to some extent. Every option it has heavily damages something aside from Excadrill and full HP Dnite. On the bright side, specs sets tend to be easily beaten and one way or another it finds itself choice locked.

View attachment 95591
Tapu Koko
Tapu Koko is another likewise threat that boasts speed and options. Pivots and powerful attacks often leave it hard to predict, especially with the odd scarf variants hanging around to kill Zard Y even if it has +1 Spe. This always leaves me unsure how to start a match.

TEAM EXPORT

Other issues with the team tend to include:
  • Stealth rock management is difficult, so Zard Y and Dragonite are often screwed.
  • Sand likewise hurts Dragonite and often defeats the purpose of Multiscale
  • Stall is a bit difficult to manage
  • So is rain
  • Opposing Sand Rush Excadrill tends to kill me
CONCLUSION

I'm sure there are more issues with this team that aren't coming to mind, but so far it has been fun. I'm open to all kinds of suggestions, but honestly the team may need a whole shakeup. As long as this Tyranitar set is at the center of it though, I don't mind even if there is a large team change. I love the Band TTar set a lot.

Thanks for reading!
gyarayquaza
Hey, Zard-Y + TTar was my favourite core last gen!

I suggest a change in Magearna's set to
Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy
Nature
- Volt Switch
- Iron Head
- Fleur Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
This means that Calm Mind Magearna is not an issue for you, while also letting you switch into things like Specs Greninja/Kingdra well.
Alternatively, you could run AV Tapu Bulu (I think this fits your team better than Mag). Your team is very weak to Zygarde and rain. This Bulu fairs well against both.
Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: (I'm not too sure on the optimal spread, but I can get back to you on that)
-Horn Leech
-Wood Hammer
-Superpower
-Nature's Madness
Yes, it may weaken your earthquakes, but you're not going to be spamming earthquake unless you're revenge killing something with Drill or getting a late game sweep with Drill.

The big problem which sticks out to me is that hazard removal is very difficult with this team. Drill finds it hard to remove hazards against Ferrothorn/Lando as Ferro is not scared of it and Lando threatens to OHKO it. There isn't anything wrong with running 2 hazard removers if you're supporting Zard-Y (especially without Roost). You don't have any hazards either, so perhaps Mew, Gliscor, Landorus or Empoleon would fit here as they have access to Defog and Stealth Rocks.
I would go with Lando over DNite
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 24 SpDef / 56 Speed
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Stealth Rocks
- Defog
I think Extrasensory over Hydro Pump on the Gren is a good idea, since (as you put it) your team is quite weak to Toxapex.

Your team is still weak to Pinsir, Gyarados and Lopunny. In order to beat these, I suggest an uncommon Scarf Tapu Koko as it beats Pinsir (obviously), outspeeds Gyarados at +1 speed and outspeeds Lopunny. I would swap Gren out for it.
Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Speed
Modest/Timid (your own preference)
-Thunderbolt
-Dazzling Gleam
-U-turn/Volt Switch (again, your own preference)
-Grass Knot (for Mega-Swampert)

Hope I helped. Hit me up if you wanna discuss further :)

Straight away I notice this team has no scarfer, which I think should be fixed even if you have Excadrill.

View attachment 95593View attachment 95594--> View attachment 95595
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn

Changing Greninja to Choice Scarf helps against multiple things, notably Tapu Koko, Gyarados and other setup sweepers that threaten the team.

Relying on Excadrill for speed control isn't usually the best idea since if sand isn't up you might have to sacrifice Tyranitar just to get it in.

I've also added U-turn over HP Fire, I think U-turn is better because it gives you momentum and hits Gyarados harder. You already have HP Fire on Magearna and you have Charizard, one of the strongest fire types.

View attachment 95596View attachment 95599--> View attachment 95600
Dragonite @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

The next change I suggest is making Dragonite DD with Z-fly. Banded Dragonite might hit really hard but only if you get the predictions right.

DD into Z-fly is usually better for breaking holes (aka weakening Landorus) so that your Excadrill can sweep.

OR

View attachment 95597
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Fly
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

You could run Landorus over Dragonite, mainly for Stealth Rock, something this team lacks. It goes without saying that rocks is the best move in the game.

SD Landorus helps against stall while still fulfilling a similar role to Dragonite. The main thing it lacks is a priority move, which might be important in some matchups.

View attachment 95598
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Superpower over Fire Punch (for the pink blob) is the last change. It helps against stall since it hits Chansey harder and without missing.

From my experience most stall players don't switch out their Chansey in fear of pursuit, so Superpower is usually free.

You still hit Ferrothorn and Magnezone but have to hit edge vs Celesteela and Scizor, although neither of them seem too hard for this team to deal with.

Importables:
Team 1: ~~View attachment 95601View attachment 95598View attachment 95602View attachment 95596View attachment 95593View attachment 95603~~ https://pokepast.es/b7737a9455642e83

Team 2: ~~ View attachment 95601View attachment 95598View attachment 95602View attachment 95604View attachment 95593View attachment 95603~~
Thanks for the recs! I'll definitely them out today and edit this post later. Though, I actually started off using Superpower over Fire Punch on TTar and eventually changed to Fire Punch and found it a lot more useful since Chansey doesn't tend to switch into you like bulky steels will. Definitely interested in the others though

Hey, Zard-Y + TTar was my favourite core last gen!

I suggest a change in Magearna's set to
Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy
Nature
- Volt Switch
- Iron Head
- Fleur Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
This means that Calm Mind Magearna is not an issue for you, while also letting you switch into things like Specs Greninja/Kingdra well.
Alternatively, you could run AV Tapu Bulu (I think this fits your team better than Mag). Your team is very weak to Zygarde and rain. This Bulu fairs well against both.
Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: (I'm not too sure on the optimal spread, but I can get back to you on that)
-Horn Leech
-Wood Hammer
-Superpower
-Nature's Madness
Yes, it may weaken your earthquakes, but you're not going to be spamming earthquake unless you're revenge killing something with Drill or getting a late game sweep with Drill.

The big problem which sticks out to me is that hazard removal is very difficult with this team. Drill finds it hard to remove hazards against Ferrothorn/Lando as Ferro is not scared of it and Lando threatens to OHKO it. There isn't anything wrong with running 2 hazard removers if you're supporting Zard-Y (especially without Roost). You don't have any hazards either, so perhaps Mew, Gliscor, Landorus or Empoleon would fit here as they have access to Defog and Stealth Rocks.
I would go with Lando over DNite
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 24 SpDef / 56 Speed
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Stealth Rocks
- Defog
I think Extrasensory over Hydro Pump on the Gren is a good idea, since (as you put it) your team is quite weak to Toxapex.

Your team is still weak to Pinsir, Gyarados and Lopunny. In order to beat these, I suggest an uncommon Scarf Tapu Koko as it beats Pinsir (obviously), outspeeds Gyarados at +1 speed and outspeeds Lopunny. I would swap Gren out for it.
Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Speed
Modest/Timid (your own preference)
-Thunderbolt
-Dazzling Gleam
-U-turn/Volt Switch (again, your own preference)
-Grass Knot (for Mega-Swampert)

Hope I helped. Hit me up if you wanna discuss further :)
Thanks! I'll definitely try out a couple Lando sets, and I've been considering Bulu as well, just never much liked the AV set. But first time for everything I suppose.

View attachment 95593View attachment 95594--> View attachment 95595
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn

View attachment 95596View attachment 95599--> View attachment 95600
Dragonite @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

OR

View attachment 95597
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Fly
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

View attachment 95598
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Importables:
Team 1: ~~View attachment 95601View attachment 95598View attachment 95602View attachment 95596View attachment 95593View attachment 95603~~ https://pokepast.es/b7737a9455642e83

Team 2: ~~ View attachment 95601View attachment 95598View attachment 95602View attachment 95604View attachment 95593View attachment 95603~~

Tried out the scarfed Greninja Works very well. Chansey can still be a problem late game but I think it just requires better predicts to pressure it. Also Flynium Z Lando works well for pressuring a switch, SDing, then hitting the sky strike.

Like this team. Very Fun Offensive.

hey, nice team. This is a pretty standard Charizard Y Offense with just a few weaknesses. AV Magearna helps with Tapu Koko and Ash-Greninja, Dragonite can clean, and Greninja provides speed control and a lure. However, the threats other than Chansey, because you have BandTar to trap it, rain because Charizard pressures the playstyle before it has mega evolved, and Tyranitar traps Damp Rock Pelipper, while Charizard-Y has no problem breaking through Specs Pelipper. In addition to the threatlist, Hawlucha is very annoying to face. The team also needs Stealth Rock.

Firstly, running Defensive Landorus-Therian > Dragonite would help against a lot of threats including Zygarde, opposing Excadrill, and Mega Lopunny to an extent. It also provides Stealth Rock and provides an excellent defensive core in tandem with Magearna, whilst also providing Volt-Turn with Magearna. Leftovers also gives it good recovery, and you mentioned Dragonite stuck out in comparison to the rest of the team. Excadrill provides enough of a cleaner, and the combination of Charizard Y and Choice Band Tyranitar provides enough breakers, so neither of Dragonite's breaking and cleaning capabilities are really needed here. In addition, Sand hurts Dragonite, which you have on Tyranitar, and it just makes the team weaker to Stealth Rock.

Next, you could try Tapu Koko > Greninja as even though Greninja lures Tapu Bulu, and Fini, luring in these threats are absolutely not neccesary for this team, given its ways to pressure these threats. One of the main reasons that Charizard Mega Y is, quite frankly, mediocre right now is because it lacks a way to break past Toxapex. Tapu Koko can fix this. It also gives the team a flying immunity which helps vs Mega Pinsir and keeps speed control. Tapu Koko can fix this, with a Fairum Z HP Fire being the best for the team. It also takes up your open Z slot. However, Greninja did provide the team with a fire resist, albeit very shaky, forcing you to now rely only on Tyranitar, and Landorus-T, to an extent.

On Tyranitar, you could try Aqua Tail > Fire Punch to kill Hippowdon, which eases the Stall matchup, and you have Zard Y for Ferro and Mega Scizor. Steels like Mega Mawile do get more annoying, but Tapu Koko can ease the Mega Mawile matchup. This can also ease the Landorus-T matchup, which Excadrill appreciates.

Lastly, running Max Special Defense on Magearna as previously mentioned can ease the Tapu Koko and Ash-Greninja matchup, while making it a little less threatening, most notably missing the ohko on uninvested Tapu Lele with Flash Cannon.

Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Flame Charge

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Aqua Tail

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 28 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Personally I find that having a scarfer is very important in this meta. And I've noted some clean KO's with Scarfed Gren. I can see how Koko can help with the matches listed above though. But Koko's speed doesn't make up for it to me. Not with Unburdened Hawlcha and Choiced lele up in everyone's business. But then again I'm super new to showdown so I know there's some flaws in my logic. Want to see more feedback on this team. I really like it. Especially noting the flame charge on the switch to set Zard up as a wincon. I would say AV Bulu's been having the most trouble on this team type, but maybe I should play with the EV's. Also opposing greninja's put a lot of pressure as to not allow them to get the Battle Bond up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)