SV DOU SV DOU RMT - Flamigo Offense

PikaSpark

sad emoji
is a Tiering Contributor
Flamigo Offense

Introduction

Hi yall. You probaably don't know me... But I was like really really dumb and a complete noob when I was last active, so I took some months to improve my skill issue (hopefully). I'm generally a Singles player, but I do play Doubles sometimes when I'm bored.
Anyway, the backstory behind the team is that I was trying to get reqs for the Singles OU Terastalization Suspect, but I got like really tired and gave up, decided to hop into Doubles for some recess. Which is why you'll see the name "oudjade" below in the image :)

SO far I have two versions of the team. The first has a rather hyper offensive feeling to it, while the second is a bit more bulky than the first. Honestly on paper Version 1 looks like it has so much potential, but V2 worked better for me. This might be because the first version absolutely gets wrecked by Trick Room.

I peaked at 1645 Elo with 79.9% GXE on the Gen 9 Doubles OU ladder, at #63. A small note that this peak was achieved BEFORE the Flutter Mane suspect. So if you run into a Flutter Mane on ladder rn, or if FM does indeed get unbanned, this team might not be good because it does kinda lose to FM+ Chi-Yu lead. But I posted early, so I guess I'd just better finish this. Not a huge achievement, but I'm proud I was able to get this far with a strategy that others might consider too gimmicky or bad. I laddered to 1450~ ish with V1, and used V2 for onward. (Very glad I saved this screenshot because I choked away five games in a row after this....) :psycry:
View attachment 479453
The image is probably glitched, I'll fix it up later.

Version 1: :flamigo::cetitan::quaquaval::maushold::iron-bundle::kilowattrel:(click to see pokepaste)

Version 2: :flamigo::cetitan::quaquaval::farigiraf::volcarona::pawmot:(click for your pokepaste)

:flamigo:
Flamigo was the pokemon I wanted to build around. It boasts an incredible ability in Costar, which copies your ally's boosts when it switches in.
:flamigo: :quaquaval:
Naturally, Flamigo has to go with strong set up users. I liked Quaquaval because it can boost its Attack AND Speed whenever it picks up a KO.
:flamigo: :quaquaval: :cetitan:
I wanted Flamigo to have another partner to boost its attack, so I searched for Belly Drum users. Cetitan stood out because it being able to go before Murkrow with its priority Ice Shard was important to me so that it couldn't do its Hazing shenanigans.
-------
When I was building Version 2.....

:flamigo: :cetitan: :quaquaval::farigiraf:
So I kept the core of Flamigo + Cetitan + Quaquaval when building V2, because I felt like they were still really good. My main issue with the first version was Trick Room, and priority spam. Farigiraf learns TR, and has the nice ability Armor Tail.

:flamigo: :cetitan: :quaquaval: :farigiraf: :pawmot:
I thought about this addition for a bit, and it seemed quite nice, on paper at least. First off, Pawmot has access to Fake Out, which is nice for supporting your teammates. Nuzzle is also a really good speed control option. But the real deal with Pawmot is, as you already know, is Revival Blessing. You could, theoretically, get a boost off with either Cetitan or Quaquaval. Then you switch in the flamingo. Your flamingo dies to whatever shit the opponent has, or BBird recoil. Then you simply revive your flamingo. If you take care in keeping your original booster alive... well, the opponent may have to take on THREE +6 Atk boosted Pokemon.

:flamigo: :cetitan: :quaquaval: :farigiraf: :pawmot: :volcarona:
I wanted extreme role compressure for this slot. There were four main roles Volcarona had to fill in. 1) A generally powerful special attacker, since we have a notable lack of them (except for farigiraf) on our team. 2) A redirection user, since we removed Maushold, our teammates will have a harder time setting up. Volcarona can do this with Rage Powder. 3) Defensive Value, Volcarona's typing comes in handy when dealing with pokemon like Sylveon. 4) A Tailwind setter

As for the description for each set, I'll be putting on V2's sets, because it is the most tested one.
Individual Sets
:flamigo:
Flamigo @ Focus Sash
Ability: Costar
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Wide Guard
- Detect

Role: Flamigo has a great offensive presense with its STAB combination, and it applies immense pressure when the opponent has to deal with TWO boosted pokemon at the same time. You generally want to put this thing in the back, right after a pokemon has boosted.
Moves: CC and Brave Bird are its most powerful STAB moves, hitting most things neutrally or super effectively. Wide Guard is a great supporting move that comes in handy when blocking the ever-broken Make It Rain, and things like Rock Slide, Heat Wave as well. Detect because if a pokemon can learn Detect, you should run it over Protect (the Imprison Protect shenanigans).
Ability: Costar is the reason we use Flamigo.
Tera Type: I chose a more defensive tera type in Steel, because I assumed its offensive capabilities would be covered enough by our boosting.
Item: I did ponder over Flamigo's item for a while; White Herb, to get rid of negative drops? Life Orb for more damage perhaps. Focus Sash was chosen because Flamigo is rather frail; it wont be living many hits. It also means that you can sometimes hard switch Flamigo in when your partner has already boosted, and you cant afford to wait any longer for a free switch.

:quaquaval:
Quaquaval @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Grass
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Step
- Close Combat
- Ice Spinner
- Protect

Role: Quaquaval is the second booster, and soft-check to things like Chien-Pao and Chi-Yu.
Moves: It's signature attack is a must-have, as it can boost Quaquaval's rather low speed. CC is, of course, your high BP Fighting Stab. Then we have Ice Spinner, which is used to hit Dragonite or Amoonguss most of the time.
Ability: Moxie lets it snowball after picking up a KO.
Tera Type: I did consider Tera Steel, it lets you resist 4 of Quaquaval's prior weaknesses, including Psychic, Fairy, Flying, and Grass. But Tera Grass is my preference, you become resistant to Grass/Electric, and you are immune to Spore and Rage Powder.
Item: Life Orb was chosen because Quaquaval can sometimes feel a little underwhelming without its Moxie Boost. LO helps it get going by getting a nice KO.

:cetitan:
Cetitan @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 Atk / 104 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Ice Shard
- Belly Drum
- Earthquake
- Protect

Role: Cetitan is the other booster on this team, and is generally used alongside Maushold or Flamigo. Generally, this thing wants to break early.
Moves: Belly Drum gives Cetitan a significant power boost, making it capable of picking up OHKOs with only Ice Shard, most of the time. Speaking of which, Ice Shard makes up for its relative lack of speed, and a powerful priority move is just always good to have. Earthquake synergizes with Ice well offensively, as EQ hits the Fire, Steel types that resist Ice Shard.
Ability: Thick Fat ensures that this thing is NOT one-shotted by fire-types, and after Tera Water, takes less damage from Bundle's Freeze-Dry.
Tera Type: Tera Water is just a great defensive type overall, and with Cetitan's decent natural bulk it is capable of stomaching some weak hits.
Item: Sitrus Berry is the best item for any Belly Drum user.
Evs/Nature: I didn't explain any of the other's EVs, because I thought they were relatively simple. On Cetitan however, It's modified to outspeed any neutral uninvested Murkrow. 30 HP IVs ensures that its HP stat is an even number; meaning that after one Belly Drum, Sitrus Berry will be triggered. 104 SpDef ensures that after Tera water, this thing still has enough HP to Belly Drum after taking a Modest Booster Energy Flutter Mane's SPREAD DAMAGE Dazzling Gleam and spread damage non specs, timid Heat Wave from Chi-Yu when Beads of Ruin is on the field, as in when BOTH Flutter and Chi-Yu attack with the moves listed earlier. If this sounds too crazy and specific, just run 160 Speed and rest in HP.

:farigiraf:
Chewy (Farigiraf) (F) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Armor Tail
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Imprison

Role: Farigiraf is my main answer to Trick Room teams, has a great match up against Trick Room teams overall, because it can Imprison+Trick Room with this set. It's also a very bulky pokemon overall, so you can expect this thing to stick around for a long time.
Moves: Psyshock and Dazzling Gleam are our offensive moves, hitting a lot of the pokemon in this meta for super-effective damage. Now, here's the real juice. Farigiraf gets Trick Room. At first I thought I would just use it for reverse-trick rooming. But as I scrolled down Farigiraf's movepool, I realizd maybe I didn't have to predict my opponent setting the trick room every time... Imprison was what I found, and I honestly don't know if there's a much better move over it, but Imprison with Trick Room just felt really satisfying when running into a TR team. Protect would be nice to fit on, but I really like these four moves.
Ability: Armor Tail is just an amazing ability to have overall. Blocks all priority moves from affecting our side of the field. This means that Prankster Taunt doesn't work. Fake Out won't work. No sucker punch shenanigans either.
Tera Type: I chose Fairy as Farigiraf's Tera type. It resists Dark, Farigiraf's main weakness to watch out for. And, of course, it's a great defensive typing, as well as boosting the damage of Dazzling Gleam.
Item: Colbur Berry is the item I chose to run, as preparation for the many dark types that are running around, such as Kingambit, Chien-Pao, and Chi-Yu, without needing to waste my tera on Farigiraf. It could be replaced by Safety Goggles, though.
EVs: So I actually optimized this to live one Chien-Pao Crunch, and one Chi-Yu (not specs, timid) Dark Pulse. Then I kind of just realized that having Colbur Berry meant these calcs wouldn't actually matter... So um run Safety Goggles AND this spread, or run Colbur and run a more offensive set.

Pawmot @ Focus Sash
Ability: Volt Absorb
Tera Type: Flying
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Nuzzle
- Fake Out
- Revival Blessing

Role: Pawmot is actually a good disturber with Fake Out and Nuzzle, and it also has the insanely broken Revival Blessing, so you can play a bit more recklessly knowing you have that option in the back.
Moves: CC is chosen too actually dish out some impressive damage to the ones that take it neutral, or super effective damage. It's still got respectable Attack, so don't underestimate its offensive capabilities either. Pawmot gets access to Nuzzle; and it's a great speed control move that also paralyzes Gholdengo, despite its ability Good As Gold because it's a damaging move, not a status move. Fake Out is a great support move that bypasses most other forms of priority, like Murkrow's Prankster. Revival Blessing because.. I don't even think I have to say anymore. Just keep in mind that you shouldn't Revival Blessing on the wrong mon; don't blindly click RBlessing just because a pokemon fainted on your team, consider that you've only got 1 PP of it and use it wisely on the right mon. This depends on the matchup of course, but generally I revive one of Flamigo, Volcarona, or Quaquaval.
Ability: As of right now, we don't have a punching move on Pawmot ( might replace CC with Mach Punch in the near future), so Volt Absorb is probably the most useful ability for Pawmot.
Tera Type: Pawmot is pretty frail, so it won't be living many neutral hits anyway. Might as well just make a weakness into an immunity. Tera Flying dodges those incoming ground attacks, but generally you won't be wasting your Tera on Pawmot. Tera Fighting might be considered for extra CC damage.
Item: Sash allows us to get a guaranteed Revival Blessing up if the opponent doesn't double-target it. Leppa Berry was considered, but Pawmot is too frail to get two Revival Blessings up anyways so Sash was my best option.

:volcarona:
Volcarona @ Sitrus Berry / Heavy-Duty-Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Fiery Dance
- Tailwind
- Rage Powder

Role: So... I know this Volc set looks strange. The thing is, I wanted to use Volcarona as a hybrid support/offense pokemon. Its role is to usually just click Rage Powder until it dies, and if it didn't die, you either get Tailwind up or Fiery Dance for some chip.
Moves: Rage Powder is a huge reason for choosing Volcarona in the first place; redirection support is valuable for giving your partner some breathing room when they try to set up (usually Cetitan boosts up when next to this pokemon). Tailwind is something I thought I kind of might need; there wasn't a solid form of speed control on the team. Fiery Dance is chosen over Flamethrower because getting a Sp.Atk boost with Fiery Dance makes up for the lack of Quiver Dance. From experience, I once had a game where +4 Volcarona clutched out an endgame because it managed to one-shot a full health Torkoal under sun.
Ability: Flame Body is an extremely useful ability for punishing contact moves.
Tera Type: Tera Fairy was chosen to give it a good defensive typing overall.
Item: Heavy-Duty-Boots does seem like the obvious choice for Volcarona, but I think Sitrus Berry might be better to let it stick around longer.
EVs/Nature: You live one Timid Iron Bundle Hydro Pump :) Rest are dumped into HP and Defense, while the Modest nature leans toward more offense to still dish out the damage that Volcarona likes to do.

Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-1754242657-13gwzezonkobf0xpgg6vx47hc00xsbnpw
vs. Annihilape Balance
-Played with V1
One thing I want to point out in this match is that in Turn 8, I should have always Followed Me with Maushold, not doing so almost cost me the game but fortunately I went unpunished because their Annihilape Protected.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-1758823183-459vsre2nmszmbmry6xklsidsqlhwojpw
vs Gholdengo & Chi-Yu BO
-Played with V2
We manage to achieve a position where Flamigo and Cetitan are both at +6. Defensive Water Tera played a big part in this :)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-1758694896-pml06871yx6e9a6h0uni33ru07g86x3pw
vs. Flutter Mane Offense
(I had actually no idea a flutter mane suspect was going on until I saw opp's team)
So this is a game where Quaquaval shines as a late-game sweeper, and Farigiraf putting in some work with its amazing ability Armor Tail.
-Played with V2

More replays to come....

How To Lead
My most used lead with Version 1 is probably either :Kilowattrel: & :iron-bundle: or :Maushold: & :Cetitan:. The most used lead of Version 2 is :Volcarona: & :Cetitan:, :pawmot:&:cetitan:, or :farigiraf: & :cetitan:.

Threats

:sv/torkoal:

If its partner gets trick room up, and this thing is at full health, destruction is sure to come. Wide Guard Flamigo helps a bit, but this trick can only be pulled off once, so make sure it's worth it. Tera Water Cetitan with Thick Fat is also nice for this.

:sv/sylveon: :sv/armarouge:
These are similar to Torkoal, just make sure they or their teammates never get TR up and utilize Wide Guard on Flamigo effectively.

:sv/farigiraf:
This thing blocks our priority Ice Shard, and can set Trick Room. Make sure to knock this thing out as quickly as possible. Murkrow+Farigiraf is also just really depressing.
:sv/flutter mane: :sv/chi-yu:
Together these two are monstrous. Flutter Mane in particular has the Ghost Typing that makes it immune to Fake Out, making it harder to deal with.

:sv/maushold:
Offensive and Defensive both give us trouble, offensive variations more so. Follow Me is really annoying, and Population Bomb into anything gets destroyed. I ran into Tera Ghost Offensive Maushold, and that's even more annoying because it becomes immune to Fake Out and Close Combat.

Conclusion
This team is far from the best, but I had fun using it, getting a decent Elo and GXE with this gimmicky strategy is also something I'm proud of. If you want to use it, go ahead.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)