Project SV DOU Teambuilding Competition v3: Week 10 (Okidogi)

Apologies for the extended delay! Voting is now open for last month's Ogerpon-Wellspring teams.

Test Bots

Arcticblast
:ogerpon-wellspring::arcanine-hisui::tornadus::flutter_mane::kingambit::sinistcha:

Ratpacker
:roaring-moon::indeedee-f::armarouge::ogerpon-wellspring::okidogi::ursaluna:

Voting ends on Friday, December 15th, and the teambuilding competition will resume after the launch of DLC 2!

Noelle

Trying my best
is a Community Contributor
Congratulations to ratpacker for winning last week
Edit: it was actually a tie, i did the !pick command in ps and it landed on ratpacker
1703431138593.png

(hopefully this week it wont take 3 weeks for more than one team to be posted /lh)

:sv/raging bolt:

This week's pokemon is Raging Bolt! Raging Bolt is the paradox forme of Raikou, and it has decent well rounded stats, a good movepool and the signature move Thunderclap (its electric sucker punch. its just electric special sucker punch). It's movepool enables it to run anything from a bulky Calm Mind set to a supportive set with Breaking Swipe and Snarl, or just a Life Orb 3 attacks set.

Glhf ^_^

Raging Balance

Raging Bolt @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderclap
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 128 HP / 188 Atk / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Spiky Shield

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Pollen Puff
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Flutter Mane @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 160 HP / 60 Def / 160 SpA / 128 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock

Kyurem-Black @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Teravolt
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
- Icicle Spear
- Fusion Bolt

The team has an FGW core to support itself defensively, 3 setups with rage powder, spore, intimidate and fake out support. To finish, a flutter mane that seems to be a good answer to this meta with such strong new dragons.

NinjaSnapple

Hero in a half shell
is a Tiering Contributor
The DOU Teambuilding competition is back!

As they were the only one who submitted a team, Staraptor wins by default!

:sv/mew:

This weeks pokemon is mew! Previously a titan of DOU, mew has fallen off considerably this generation due to losing some of the moves that made it such a staple. But that hasn't stopped it from seeing some success in OSDT, being primarily used a support pokemon with snarl, will-o-wisp and coaching.

Last edited:
Excited for this!

Alright so when I started building this team I was looking for something mew could do uniquely. I saw the willowisp and coaching but honestly I don't see a ton of value in that currently. I like getting in there fast and hard and doing damage.

:sv/mew:
Mew @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Snarl
- Icy Wind
- Tailwind
- Trick

I took a little singles inspiration here with trick scarf but as I wrote above I wanted to do something with this mew that only they can do. Snarl/IcyWind/Tailwind is a great combination of support moves that only suicune with base 85 spe is otherwise capable of, add trick and its unique. When I give it a scarf I can get a fast icy wind off or snarl and it can catch a lot of people off guard. Even after tricking away your scarf it still is very valuable. An example of a sneaky icywind's impact is here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-2115859355 ;)
:sv/Arcanine-Hisui:
Then I felt the biggest common danger to my mew is Incineroar. I really enjoy using Arc-H as an incin counter bc with CB you can outspeed/kill with rock head and that can discourage opponents from leading incin so it was added. Espeed can be nice occasionally to clean up but hes a threat.
:sv/Ogerpon-Wellspring:
I felt super weak to lando-i with this pair, even with icy wind, so next up was Ogerpon-Wellspring. Not much to say about this thing besides its cracked and stupid and game freaked it.
:sv/Amoonguss:
I figured next to complete this FWG core I was building I should get a strong grass that could also shore up my trick room matchup and no hoot and holler needed added Amoonguss.
:sv/Indeedee:
Next up I felt like I needed some special damage and terrain control + I felt pretty weak to psyspam so I decided on Indeedee-M with Expanding Force and Imprison. I liked protect more over trick room but those moves can be swapped out as preference goes.
:sv/landorus:
Finally I felt like I needed to just boom shit. In my opinion Lando-I is the best/most splashable mon in the format so I threw it on here. I went fast lando over bulky because I wanted to boom more stuff.

The replays show the goal of the team. Mew sits and terrorizes opponents plans with trick/speed control. Its like 4-2 in testing and I can't complain
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-2115850305
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-2115860051
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-2115863021

the pokepaste

Last edited:
:Mew: - :Iron Hands: - :Rillaboom: - :Kyurem: - :Kingambit: - :Tauros Paldea Aqua:

Mew Coaching is the only way I really see the mon getting good results in, and so I went with that.

:Mew:

Funny little mon that does funny little things. Clicks funny moves like Snarl and Coaching and then can help the reciever (usually Iron Hands or Kingambit) stick around. Went for pure bulk because most of the time you aren't going to be attacking anyways, and you will never not get outsped by Torn (the only viable TW setter in the tier). Ice Beam or Wil-o-Wisp over Snarl probably works fine as well.

:Iron Hands:

I like Iron Hands so those are the two I based the team around, with a basic Hands set because it is awesome. Hands is never not good and coaching makes it a real pain to deal with. AV is used a lot on the team but it's kind of obvious why.

:Rillaboom:

Another basic set, but it's just such a solid mon that I feel like it's worthwhile to run here. U-Turn + Fake Out + Grassy Glide is cool as usual, and Grassy Surge helps to deal with any Psyspam stuff that would ruin Hands or Tauros.

:Kyurem:

At first I almost made this thing a physical attacker b/c of Coaching Mew but then remembered I need a Special Attacker and that is quite dumb. This thing just stat checks half the tier even without Snow and Aurora Veil, and I chose Specs because I just wanted something to ruin Arch and the genies. Tera Poison too for all the lovely Fighting and Fairy attacks that are being thrown around (there are none but I like the defensive profile). Glaciate helps with speed control even if Blizzard is objectively better most of the time, but I miss that everytime if Snow isn't up so I went with the safer albeit weaker choice.

:Kingambit:

Another/the second Coaching reciever on the team, and it also punishes Incin from endlessly cycling Fake Out and Intimidate. The spread allows it to live a Lando-I Earth Power which is pretty crucial, and I prefer my Gambits to be Tera Fairy over Dark so that's the type I went with. Good mon and can really rack up the impact when left alone.

:Tauros Paldea Aqua:

Well, it's not exactly the ideal Intimidator but it gets the job done here. Wanted something to be an Intimidator while also not losing to Pao/Harc/the like, and this guy has the perfect type for it with Water Fighting. EV spread allows it to oustpeed Pao with Scarf, while maximizing the damage output and giving it the best possible chance it can have to survive a Tornadus Bleakwind Storm (while even possibly KO'ing in return with Wild Charge. Aqua Jet for more priority, while getting Liquidation and CC for good STAB damage and really pressuring Lando and Pao. Also Tera Bug for the Lando and Rilla MU while also not weakening/worsening it into Pao or Torn.

(Pokepaste for those who didn't see that it was linked at the top with the team)

Replays each show a different mon putting in work for the team, I think it's pretty solid overall.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-2116709691-d6w630efofcyumo9g968r2lb71toakupw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-2116698656-ausji9p9evw1w0qro13mq89iw6asch6pw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-2116703169-2kopz9n7a7kayb7xkdniq3tj21stnoopw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-2116715260

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
:mew::diancie::gouging-fire::ting-lu::rillaboom::chien-pao:
Mew @ Mental Herb
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Transform
- Coaching
- Pollen Puff
- Encore

Diancie @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Clear Body
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Diamond Storm
- Body Press
- Trick Room
- Protect

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
EVs: 224 HP / 36 Atk / 72 Def / 176 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Ruination
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

Gouging Fire @ Booster Energy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Heat Crash
- Breaking Swipe
- Howl
- Burning Bulwark

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Atk / 96 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- High Horsepower

Chien-Pao @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Sucker Punch
- Sacred Sword
- Protect

I've been playing around with Gouging Ting-Lu comps, and Coaching Mew seemed like a perfectly reasonable addition. While all-phys comps normally have trouble with the likes of Arch and Orthworm, I figured Mew's Encore + Transform on top of Ting-Lu itself would be enough to cover weaknesses.

For the flex slot, I chose Diancie, one of the best Coaching/Howl targets, as well as a TR setter when necessary. I gave it Cloak to deny Fake Out that always seems to target it while setting TR or once it's boosted. The rest is a pretty cookie-cutter Gouging comp, these mons are often used together for a reason. The most notable tech choice here was Cloak Pao as well, it's just such a feelbad when you're forced to Protect to preserve Sash, and Cloak reverses that dynamic.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this team. Most matchups are very playable, and you absolutely destroy some of the balance squads. Main issue is Lando, who can force a Tera if positioned well. I've been trying Ice Beam over Encore Mew to help patch that up. Glimm is also awful to play against, but nothing short of adding an Amoong will really change that.

Back again doing some cooking in the heat with:

:okidogi: :Exeggutor: :torkoal: :porygon2: :iron hands: :ursaluna:
EGGROOM

:sv/okidogi: @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guard Dog
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Atk / 4 Def / 148 SpD
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- High Horsepower
- Psychic Fangs

I decided to go with a AV set to maximize the tankiness it was capable of. I tested out a few different sets but I believe this is about the best one. On trick room it gives you a bit of a special def core, though super weak to double genie. I like using this mon on trick room and as an anti intimidate threat when possible. I also doubted this things damage before this competition and no more. It can rip.

Then I really wanted to use this trick room sun core I feel like is very bulky if opponents aren't prepared in:
:exeggutor: :torkoal:

Pretty self explanatory but I feel like is under appreciated in the current meta. I remember seeing a VGC video where egg found success and felt it was a very strong setter as well as tons of self sustain with multiple harvests being possible from torkoal. It also gets helping hands. Can't remember which but I either made the spread for/pulled it from VGC reg f which isnt the worst. Could be improved. Torkoal damage big and egg damage is sneaky.

:porygon2: :ursaluna:

Another strong trick room pairing I like. Porygon pisses off double genie and also has a ton of self sustain, and I want to say confidently you can typically recover more hp on pory then you deal from a eq with ursa. Otherwise Ursa is a great physical threat and facade can one shot half the meta which feels great.

:iron hands:

Kinda my favorite set on the team. Its got enough speed evs to out speed 32 spe incin at 166 to win the fake out wars and give me a slow volt switch while room goes up to switch into sweepers a little more comfortably/when against opposing tr teams I get a "slow" volt switch too. I went AV max spd and then dumped into attack and I feel like it is a dangerous set. It can switch into a couple special threats and typically ice punch/drain punch is enough coverage.

paste2
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-2120210135-exfrmoetknwiqxzxz2bgpsgb29rknkvpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-2120166333-woixu6206rkrdyku0of324hkfl1irnnpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-2120207165-llivuevr0ipk3a3milxclz8k53mv576pw?p2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)