Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Suspect]

Ugh Finchinator I thought we left it clear last time what was okay to post and what not. Anyway, how's the Tortured Poets Department sitting with you? /s

I have been trying out a new version of my main team with Beat Up Fezandipiti and I've been having some okay results with it, feel free to check it out: https://pokepast.es/f97bb04da86cd474

So I've been using these triple (sometimes quadruple) G's for a long time, Gliscor Garg and GFire, and most of the time Gambit too. Fezand is there to aid in toxic spamming and Glowking (my fifth G) runs Venoshock for some surprise factor. I'm thinking of adding Ghold (six) or even Sinistcha for some Hex spam.

Sometimes a G ain't even a G, sometimes it's a resourceful mon in SV OU.

Ugh Finchinator I thought we left it clear last time what was okay to post and what not. Anyway, how's the Tortured Poets Department sitting with you? /s

I have been trying out a new version of my main team with Beat Up Fezandipiti and I've been having some okay results with it, feel free to check it out: https://pokepast.es/f97bb04da86cd474

So I've been using these triple (sometimes quadruple) G's for a long time, Gliscor Garg and GFire, and most of the time Gambit too. Fezand is there to aid in toxic spamming and Glowking (my fifth G) runs Venoshock for some surprise factor. I'm thinking of adding Ghold (six) or even Sinistcha for some Hex spam.

Why are you using dragon rush? That seems just a bad move, dragon claw seems a lot more reliable.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I do not know if I cooked some good shit or burnt the house down, but I noticed Kyurem gets Body Press.

IMG_4377.png

Kyurem @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Ground/Ice/Fairy/Steel/Fighting
EVs: 28 Def / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Body Press

(228 Speed outruns max speed Lando)

Body Press does three things for Kyurem.

-3HKOs Blissey, forcing it to burn Soft-Boiled pp and lose the 1v1.

-One-shots Weavile who often can eat 1-2 hits from Kyurem.

-2HKOs Balloon Gambit who often uses Kyurem as setup fodder once it finds a safe switch in.

Calcs for proof

28 Def Kyurem Body Press vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 214-254 (32.8 - 38.9%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO

28 Def Kyurem Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 312-368 (111 - 130.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

28 Def Kyurem Body Press vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Kingambit: 188-224 (47.7 - 56.8%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO

28 Def Kyurem Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 188-224 (55.1 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If Volc gets the boot I might test it out. Boots Kyurem has a very flexible 4th slot that can be for anything, but what are your thoughts?

How do you deal with Ground moves when 5/6 of your mons are weak to it? Even with Tera and a ground immunity mon as your 6th, that seems rough for your team.

Why are you using dragon rush? That seems just a bad move, dragon claw seems a lot more reliable.
To get that Temper Flare boost if I miss, but I know that's cheesy... I just don't really like Flare Blitz or Raging Fury so I thought Dragon Rush would complement Temper Flare better

How do you deal with Ground moves when 5/6 of your mons are weak to it? Even with Tera and a ground immunity mon as your 6th, that seems rough for your team.
0dVNyc0.jpeg

But you're right, I will think about that, maybe add Rilla or sth

To get that Temper Flare boost if I miss, but I know that's cheesy... I just don't really like Flare Blitz or Raging Fury so I thought Dragon Rush would complement Temper Flare better

View attachment 628014

But you're right, I will think about that, maybe add Rilla or sth
Balloon Gambit could be a quick patch for that. Take some of the pressure off Gliscor and potentially capitalize on ground attacks for free setup.

I do see that your team gets 6-0d by bulk up Tusk. Some more structural changes could be worthwhile.

Last edited:
I believe that smeargle should be removed from the viability list.

its niche is suppossed to come from the fact that it can run both ceaceless edge and stone axe, but this pokemon is so fragile that it is lucky to use just one of these moves.
as if this wasn't enough spore got banned.

it is like a slightly less bad version of the f.e.a.r. tactics.

even raikou is performing better in ou.

I do not know if I cooked some good shit or burnt the house down, but I noticed Kyurem gets Body Press.

View attachment 627993
Kyurem @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Ground/Ice/Fairy/Steel/Fighting
EVs: 28 Def / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Body Press

(228 Speed outruns max speed Lando)

Body Press does three things for Kyurem.

-3HKOs Blissey, forcing it to burn Soft-Boiled pp and lose the 1v1.

-One-shots Weavile who often can eat 1-2 hits from Kyurem.

-2HKOs Balloon Gambit who often uses Kyurem as setup fodder once it finds a safe switch in.

Calcs for proof

28 Def Kyurem Body Press vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 214-254 (32.8 - 38.9%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO

28 Def Kyurem Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 312-368 (111 - 130.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

28 Def Kyurem Body Press vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Kingambit: 188-224 (47.7 - 56.8%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO

28 Def Kyurem Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 188-224 (55.1 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If Volc gets the boot I might test it out. Boots Kyurem has a very flexible 4th slot that can be for anything, but what are your thoughts?
I have specifically used bp on a dd set, and despite some anti synergy due to scale shot reducing your defense, it still was great. Being able to hit steel types with that set specifically is amazing, and even without investment it still chunks them. For example, +1 tera ice icicle spear and a follow up bp into offensive gambit has a good chance to ko.
I think bp works great on multiple sets. I am also trying out a mixed kyurem set with icicle spear, I think kyurem has a lot of flexibility that could be explored.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 135)