Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Suspect]

ah yes the mon considered top I in viability right now is “gimmick garbage”.

Don’t know why you came in so confident when the viability list and general player experience contradicts you
Can confirm, Serperior is insane. I've seen like four different Tera types not counting Stellar that let this thing decide entire games. Serperior is hard to predict, immediately threatens a sweep, and makes you pivot around it in the heat of the moment. It's nuts how much respect you have to give this thing in the middle of a battle.

my brother in christ it's been 48 hours. nobody could possibly know whether it's actually balanced or not yet. we shouldn't be going full throttle on the banwagon like we did in dlc1 (by necessity), but we also shouldn't be going around trumpeting "huzzah, huzzah, the meta is balanced" when i've had colds that have lasted longer than this meta has been playable. making this judgement right now is like airing the "dewey defeats truman" headline during the hoover administration. it's like hitting it off on a first date and immediately starting a college tuition fund for your future kids. it's like making a plan for the year at the beginning of 2020. what i'm trying to get at is, it's way too soon to be saying this
You’re 100% right, but you’ve gotta admit it’s surprising that this meta isn’t more of a shitshow than it is. Remember how bad Teal Mask was at launch? And all we’ve had to do is ban the 700 BST Uber & all of a sudden people aren’t even sure if any one thing is definitively broken. I know it’ll probably change in the coming days and Deo-S is definitely a bit suspect, but after the clear chain of broken after broken after broken that was the DLC1 metagame, it’s… weirdly decent.

You’re 100% right, but you’ve gotta admit it’s surprising that this meta isn’t more of a shitshow than it is. Remember how bad Teal Mask was at launch? And all we’ve had to do is ban the 700 BST Uber & all of a sudden people aren’t even sure if any one thing is definitively broken. I know it’ll probably change in the coming days and Deo-S is definitely a bit suspect, but after the clear chain of broken after broken after broken that was the DLC1 metagame, it’s… weirdly decent.
The returning, new and dropped mons are balancing things rather well. I think it was a good choice to drop the mons that we've dropped, deoxys s is a little sus but the rest are more healthy for the meta than not

That said, the stuff that was broken before still is. Kingambit should definitely go. Dengo too. I used to be against banning Valiant, but I think booster energy Valiant is way too fast for the tier now

I think Dark Void was nerfed because Darkrai terrorized VGC, where they don't have Sleep Clause or a mechanism to ban non-box-legendaries.
Was because of Smeargle using the move.
Funnily enough they double nerfed it, with the move itself getting the accuracy cut but it also getting a check so that it fails if any mon other than darkrai uses it, which makes the former nerf entirely unnecessary.

That said, the stuff that was broken before still is. Kingambit should definitely go. Dengo too. I used to be against banning Valiant, but I think booster energy Valiant is way too fast for the tier now
Why did your opinion change now, of all times, when we finally have things viable that outspeed Valiant? Booster Boulder, +1 Roaring Moon and ScarfKrai (hehe) all outspeed and OHKO. Plus, webs completely gimps it and unfortunately webs are kinda viable due to complete lack of hazard removal.
:avalugg hisui:

Not trolling - I wrote a 5000+ word dissertation here on OU Avalugg-Hisui back in June of this year. Fantastic spinner with great offensive and defensive qualities with reliable recovery. Avalugg-Hisui especially benefits from Tera (in addition to access to Strong Jaw and a solid physical movepool), and Ice/Rock is pretty insane offensively. Avalugg-H is worth checking out.
I'M NOT CRAZY THANK GOD I TOLD YALL IT WAS FIRE

Due to the consistent lack of hazard removal in our format(s), do you think that OU and Uber players of this generation have a case for mental anguish in a class action lawsuit against GF? In all seriousness I'm begging for a Gholdengo ban. The defog situation isn't quite as dire as it is in Ubers due to the relative lack of viability Screensnarl HO teams have, but we still need to get rid of the Macaroni Noodle.

i don't have many replays on hand but just for an example of a LO deoxys team ive used, this one here has Rilla & AV Primarina as offensive pivots, Dirge & Tusk as more defensive utilities, and then Deoxys and Serperior as win conditions. on this teamstyle, serp and deoxys find multiple opportunities to safely switch in per game, and in some games they're claiming KOs nearly every time. since deoxys needs this pivot core to support it, it isn't quite as straightforward as "click buttons and win", but it does feel like a clear power level above similar mons like Dragapult and Meowscarada that feel more balanced, imo. also im not quite 1900s yet, but have peaked at 1835 so far with this team which is pretty good for me! :3
View attachment 581138

in the future i might make a more detailed post that makes an argument for why i support a deoxys-speed quickban, including replays
This is actually a really neat team, nice to see primarina being used effectively. One question though, is Primarina offensively or defensively invested? If defensively, into what stat?

Due to the consistent lack of hazard removal in our format(s), do you think that OU and Uber players of this generation have a case for mental anguish in a class action lawsuit against GF? In all seriousness I'm begging for a Gholdengo ban. The defog situation isn't quite as dire as it is in Ubers due to the relative lack of viability Screensnarl HO teams have, but we still need to get rid of the Macaroni Noodle.
I could be totally wrong about this but I don't think spike stacking teams have been this good since Gen 3. You know, when sandstorm was permanent, everywhere, and Gengar was the tier's best spin blocker? This is the effect Gholdengo has had on the metagame. Blocking both spin, and defog is unbelievably stupid and suffocating, and I feel like Gholdengo should be on the radar for a suspect even with the DLC dropping new toys. The other discussion is whether or not spikes themselves are broken and worthy of action but that's probably not going to come up until/unless Gholdengo is banned and they're still suffocating

I could be totally wrong about this but I don't think spike stacking teams have been this good since Gen 3. You know, when sandstorm was permanent, everywhere, and Gengar was the tier's best spin blocker? This is the effect Gholdengo has had on the metagame. Blocking both spin, and defog is unbelievably stupid and suffocating, and I feel like Gholdengo should be on the radar for a suspect even with the DLC dropping new toys. The other discussion is whether or not spikes themselves are broken and worthy of action but that's probably not going to come up until/unless Gholdengo is banned and they're still suffocating
I would argue that spikes teams in gen 3 aren't nearly as good as they are in the current generation. Yeah spinning is limited but all of the spinners in OU are genuinely good pokemon in their own right (except for maybe forretress but he gets spikes and is a steel type that has a decent [but not amazing, still better than skarmory tho] matchup into magneton). The defogger of OU in this gen, Corviknight, is a good physical wall, but it would have much steeper competition for that role if there were other defoggers, or if hazard removal in general was much better. Like this is genuinely the best spikes stack has been since gen 6, and this is a generation without ferrothorn. There are way too many hazard setters yes, but that issue is only as pronounced as it is because we don't have much hazard removal.

People are taking the viability lists way too seriously.

I remembered Articuno-G being High Rank in the one for Home and look at how long that lasted. This is just a list made in a 3-day old meta. Things change rapidly in a week, and that’s why viability rankings aren’t made until later. The meta is still being explored, it’s just a matter of time.
also people judging darkrai don't understand that certain pokemon thrive in different metagames
without Dark Void being 100% acc it can't thrive as much with HO, but its NP 3ATK set and other options like Taunt are going to shut down Balance/BO cores once that becomes the primary type of team.

darkrai isn't as great in this HO metagame, it will dominate in a Balance or BO metagame, which will happen, BO/Balance metagame is literally the benchmark

Last edited:
also people judging darkrai don't understand that certain pokemon thrive in different metagames

darkrai isn't as great in this HO metagame, it will dominate in a Balance or BO metagame, which will happen, BO/Balance metagame is literally the benchmark
Sure but you have to talk about its viability in this meta and currently it's just ok, nothing great - you can't talk about what it could be in the future because you don't know what the meta will be like.

I would argue that spikes teams in gen 3 aren't nearly as good as they are in the current generation. Yeah spinning is limited but all of the spinners in OU are genuinely good pokemon in their own right (except for maybe forretress but he gets spikes and is a steel type that has a decent [but not amazing, still better than skarmory tho] matchup into magneton). The defogger of OU in this gen, Corviknight, is a good physical wall, but it would have much steeper competition for that role if there were other defoggers, or if hazard removal in general was much better. Like this is genuinely the best spikes stack has been since gen 6, and this is a generation without ferrothorn. There are way too many hazard setters yes, but that issue is only as pronounced as it is because we don't have much hazard removal.
This reply made me realize that Ferrothorn probably would be Uber this gen because of the utter lack of reliable hazard removal :row:

To prevent this from being a one liner, I think it at least helps that Triple Axel is back with wider distribution to bully Gliscor. Meowscarada in particular seems like a pretty good buff

This reply made me realize that Ferrothorn probably would be Uber this gen because of the utter lack of reliable hazard removal :row:

To prevent this from being a one liner, I think it at least helps that Triple Axel is back with wider distribution to bully Gliscor. Meowscarada in particular seems like a pretty good buff
I think that ferrothorn wouldn't be uber in part because we finally have leech seed switch ins that threaten it back and also in part because fire type moves are everywhere. Ferrothorn would be extremely good don't get me wrong, but I don't think it would be uber, at least not in DLC2. DLC1? Maybe

It's such an early metagame and I'm already tired of watching battles or reading posts where people force themselves to use suboptimal alternatives exclusively for Gholdengo, be it direct damage or just being able to use Defog. (Hi Weezing-galarian)
Speaking about suboptimal, in the previous Latias vs Latios discussion, I'm giving preference to Latias due to Healing Wish, this helps Kyurem a lot to spend more PP now that he lost Roost. Oh, Aura Sphere wreaks havoc on Kimgambit.
Terrakion on steroids what is it? You know what he's going to do and have problems anyway, this signature move is insane.

Gliscor mirror is also boring.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2013464784
Apologies to my opponent, besides being lucky I was carried away by the matchup, playing poorly since... SV I think.

Speaking of VRs, I just realized ribombee is conspicuously absent from the new preliminary viability list, can't believe they dexited him between the dlcs, tragic. He's probably at around medium viability I imagine, he likes the lack of new hazard removal but serperior just completely takes advantage of webs

Araquanid (M) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Water Bubble
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Lunge
- Sticky Web

Can someone run a calc on this and see what the total modifier would be under rain? i'm guessing like 3× at least.

give me a reason to use araquanid please please please pl

Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Lunge
- Sticky Web

Can someone run a calc on this and see what the total modifier would be under rain? i'm guessing like 3× at least.

reasons are cringe, just use araquanid and build around its flaws. it's what I plan on doing with h-zoro once the meta settles a bit (252 SpA Zoroark-Hisui Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 420-496 (96.7 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes my beloved)

Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Lunge
- Sticky Web

252+ Atk Mystic Water Water Bubble Tera Water Araquanid Liquidation vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal in Sun: 180-216 (52.4 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hey, I have noticed this forum has become kind of cluttered with tiering policy arguments, shit posting, and dumb arguments which are fine to post. But this isn't the thread for it if you want to talk tiering policy, please post it here Policy Review | Smogon Forums. For shitposting and arguments please refer to the OU discord server OU Discord. Thanks in advance and just try and keep this in mind when posting :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 172)