Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Suspect]

Nice focus sash, would be a shame if I tail slapped you to oblivion with cincinno. Definetely not coping for the fact that cincinno is only mid.
See the thing is that I'm gonna use garchomp on every team in OU like I should be using koraidon in ubers. Using smeargle against either leads to the same result of you having to contest a strong and fast threat on turn 2

I'd use mr. "new toy syndrome" Iron Crown over Washedchomp, i'll say that much
The thing about garchomp is that it doesn't get spored by focus sash smeargle because scale shot hits multiple times.

Ynow whats slept on in the current metagame? :Skeledirge:, a solid physical unaware wall with reliable recovery and a solid coverage movepool, with options like Willowisp/Scorching Sands to burn, say a double fuck you to set up with Alluring Voice, and raising Special Attack with Torch Song, increasing it's threat level.

Ynow whats slept on in the current metagame? :Skeledirge:, a solid physical unaware wall with reliable recovery and a solid coverage movepool, with options like Willowisp/Scorching Sands to burn, say a double fuck you to set up with Alluring Voice, and raising Special Attack with Torch Song, increasing it's threat level.
shh keep it down I don't want the most aware unaware pokemon in history being used because he's CRINGE and I am RACIST against skeledirge

one of my favourite choices as unaware mons are basically a requirement and it can fit very smoothly on less defensive balance or BO teams

tera fairy :skeledirge: is exceptionally good against :roaring-moon: with a super effective alluring voice to OHKO it

even if it teras against you you still win the 1v1 with torch song

unfortunate that it's #34 in usage, higher than Pex tho, and that is amazing, it means Pex is mid at #43
if you really wanted to see a meta where dirge shines, you should've checked out uu when it was there or ubers before the dlc dropped. it's good in ou, but it was amazing in ubers for being basically the only sort-of-consistent check to zacian-crowned before ho-oh showed up, and it was the only thing holding iron hands back in uu as well. skeledirge was, at one point, carrying two separate tiers on its back and neither one was ou

if you really wanted to see a meta where dirge shines, you should've checked out uu when it was there or ubers before the dlc dropped. it's good in ou, but it was amazing in ubers for being basically the only sort-of-consistent check to zacian-crowned before ho-oh showed up, and it was the only thing holding iron hands back in uu as well. skeledirge was, at one point, carrying two separate tiers on its back and neither one was ou
It's always funny when a mon is great in a higher tier, but worse in a lower tier. It happens all the time because surroundings affect a mons viability a lot, Mega Camerupt's viability is determined by "are water types good? If yes, fuck. If no, hell yeah."
A literal not fully evolved fly being better than a majority of OU in UUbers in hillarous and will be cemented in my mind forever.
Also, I bet when Skeledirge (if it does) drops from Ubers to UUbers, it will do the exact same shit as before, just with magearna and zacion hero instead.

It's always funny when a mon is great in a higher tier, but worse in a lower tier. It happens all the time because surroundings affect a mons viability a lot, Mega Camerupt's viability is determined by "are water types good? If yes, fuck. If no, hell yeah."
A literal not fully evolved fly being better than a majority of OU in UUbers in hillarous and will be cemented in my mind forever.
Also, I bet when Skeledirge (if it does) drops from Ubers to UUbers, it will do the exact same shit as before, just with magearna and zacion hero instead.
always loved seeing this specifically in gen 8 with a huge rise of :toxtricity:, :arctozolt:, and i think :volcanion: in their respective metas; all from lower tiers literally rising to OU

:Cinderace:, :Kyurem:, :Volcarona:, :Weavile:, :Dragonite:, :Gouging Fire:, and :Skeledirge: would all really like to be able to run a different item if they could. HDB alleviates hazard pressure and is a really good item, but being forced to run it, especially as a bulky pivot, is definitely a downside.

I really don't get the argument of "If Ghold was gone we could run better items on Skeledirge instead of boots" no the hell you wont. Boots is far and beyond the best item on Dirge and it doesn't need leftovers or anything with Slack Off right there. Just because Ghold is gone won't make hazards less everywhere. Hamrott is still gonna be just as good, hazards are still gonna be really good.

The opponent is still gonna have hazards up a lot, and you need to be able to swap into Skeledirge when needed against any setup sweepers. The inconvenience of hazards in general is too much of a thing to worry about when you can just... not? It's like saying "Oh boy Gholdengo is gone, time to run Life Orb on my Volcarona for more damage" Hell no. I aint dealing with 50% rocks damage just the same way Dirge doesn't want to deal with the 25% rocks damage. Even with hazard removal available, it doesn't mean hazards are never gonna be on the field. One stealth rock chip on a Skeledirge is worth 4 TURNS OF LEFTOVERS. Let alone spikes that the Ham set up.

The same logic applies to the others. Kyurem can run other items, but its a risk. Dragonite always wants to keep Multiscale active if possible. Cinderace uses boots because of Court Change. Its literally used to ignore hazards so you can give them to the opponent. Weavile can run banded, but SD Boots is a lot safer and still works wonders and wouldn't change with Ghold gone.

Yes, Gholdengo feeds a very hazard heavy meta. Ok and? Gholdengo still isn't broken just because you cant click hazard removal aimlessly anymore. I'll say it again for the people in the back, Centralizing does not mean Busted. If Lando-T's had to run HP Ice for other Lando-Ts and it still wasn't broken, then Gholdengo isnt broken either.

#JusticeForGholdengo dont do the surfer guy like this he doesn't deserve it.

[Quagsire and Gastrodon have entered the chat]

To prevent this from being a one liner, I saw a few pages back there was some discussion about :primarina: and I'm curious on whether or not it'll stay in OU. I've been using it on rain cores and finding success with it (albeit on low ladder because I suck lol)

[Quagsire and Gastrodon have entered the chat]

To prevent this from being a one liner, I saw a few pages back there was some discussion about :primarina: and I'm curious on whether or not it'll stay in OU. I've been using it on rain cores and finding success with it (albeit on low ladder because I suck lol)
Potentially. Like idk, but it kinda is the best at special walling, and if ogerpon-wellspring becomes better it will become a lot worse. Not that wellspring is bad, but it is more restricted in its opportunities to just click buttons. If the survey mons get banned, primarina will fall off because wellspring got better. It will at least always have a niche in OU.
Thinking about it, it probs was because fini was in every game primarina was in, maybe that's part of why it was UU most gens.

Thinking about it, it probs was because fini was in every game primarina was in, maybe that's part of why it was UU most gens.
i think that's the bulk of the reason (pun intended, all my puns are intended). primarina has always been overshadowed in less offensive roles by tapu fini, who had better bulk, a way wider support movepool, and an ability that made its entire team immune from status and gave them all dragon resistances. the only real advantage primarina had was firepower. now that there's no fini in the way, we can see that primarina offers quite a lot defensively too, especially when there are eight fucking dragon-types

i think that's the bulk of the reason (pun intended, all my puns are intended). primarina has always been overshadowed in less offensive roles by tapu fini, who had better bulk, a way wider support movepool, and an ability that made its entire team immune from status and gave them all dragon resistances. the only real advantage primarina had was firepower. now that there's no fini in the way, we can see that primarina offers quite a lot defensively too, especially when there are eight fucking dragon-types
Fini also had higher Speed, Taunt and even Iron Defense to be a better CM user. Also Trick for Scarf sets. Primarina had 3 ways to distinguish from Fini:
1. Specs.
2. Whirlpool + Perish Song (sad Toxapex noises).
3. And my favorite, Restalk + Flip Turn to check half of the Meta with the excellent typing and bring something powerful but frail (Weavile and Pult come to mind) safely with slow pivoting. Waterpon is a big danger for this one, but otherwise it can do it again and even better, since Fini and Koko aren't here to prevent Rest.

2. Whirlpool + Perish Song (sad Toxapex noises).
y'know, i just realized, with psychic noise it doesn't strictly need the perish song anymore, you can just put stallmons on a timer that way instead…
Wait, hold the fuck up.

Immense powercreep
Dragon types being busted
Zapdos falling into UU

This gen is Gen 5 Part 2: Electric Boogaloo: the sequel: the continuation: the empire strikes back.
holy shit that's why indigo disk is set in unova

y'know, i just realized, with psychic noise it doesn't strictly need the perish song anymore, you can just put stallmons on a timer that way instead…

holy shit that's why indigo disk is set in unova
When Walking Wake first released I remember joking that its paradox name should've been Unova's Revenge since it basically combined the most ridiculous parts of BW2 Keldeo + Latios, with a playstyle built around weather abuse to boot

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
ou is a lot of HO rn, and i got this :focus-sash: :smeargle: lead from someone and optimized it

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 140 HP / 116 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Silk Trap
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- Stone Axe

we all know :smeargle: is a ho lead, but mons like :meowscarada: and :weavile: threaten it with triple axel. with silk trap, :smeargle: lowers their speed and spores them back (:meowscarada: due to protean ice) and allows :smeargle: to get up hazards. silk trap is also useful for :great-tusk: that can switch in on a sticky web or a stone axe and threaten with a rapid spin, breaking sash and wiping hazards. silk trap lowers :great-tusk: speed and gets a spore on it, keeping hazards up while switching into a ghost mon (would like to try screens :dragapult: with this to get fast screens + blocks spin). the ev spread is to specifically avoid the OHKO from non-boosted :iron-crown: tachyon cutter. this allows :smeargle: to spore and get up some hazards. obviously smeargle is suspectable to taunt and opposing hazard stacking so cm :hatterene: could help
I still feel like Smeargle is too all-or-nothing and matchup fishy. Biden's art dog screams "I am a lead" and can easily be reacted to with things outside of Taunt (e.g. what happens if you get Substituted on or Tricked?) or Triple Axel. If I see a Smeargle, then that's just an invitation to open with Loaded Dice Kyurem if I have it. Beatnik boy ain't eating Icicle Spear/Scale Shot, Silk Trap only works on contact moves, and your team is probably super reliant on Webs for Speed control so you're not dealing with this Kyurem immediately and damage hazards aren't up. What do you do then?

This is admittedly something of a worst case scenario, but I think it's still illustrative of Smeargle's shortcomings as a suicide lead.

*AHEM*

Ladies and Gentlemen, Lebron James

:bw/Blaziken: @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Protect
- Overheat

252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 330-390 (104.1 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Archaludon: 385-455 (100.5 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring: 278-329 (92.3 - 109.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Iron Boulder: 289-341 (90 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 530-624 (135.5 - 159.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ting-Lu: 398-471 (77.4 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(ting lu is fucked up wtf gamefreak)

4 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Iron Valiant: 333-394 (115.2 - 136.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 429-507 (113.4 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Life Orb Tera Fire Blaziken Overheat vs. 244 HP / 12 SpD Gliscor: 330-390 (93.7 - 110.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Life Orb Tera Fire Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 289-341 (73.3 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Life Orb Tera Fire Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 439-517 (101.1 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Jokes aside blaziken is really underrated at the moment. life orb sets can threaten an OHKO on most top meta threats, some just require 1 spike to guarantee the KO like iron boulder and ogerpon. For that reason it pairs really well with glimmora. Overheat nukes most pokemon that could stomach a flare blitz and without the nasty recoil and contact effects, allowing you to 2hko pokemon like glowking on the switch, and threaten OHKO on standard gliscor. Iron defense skarmory and corviknight think theyre safe but theyre not. Blaziken can 1v1 six of the top ten most used pokemon in OU. I'm excluding iron boulder from that because you need to have +3 speed to outspeed it and mighty cleave hits through protect, however it cannot switch in on you. Roaring moon, kingambit, great tusk and gholdengo are all fodder unless they tera (which protect helps scout). Archaludon needs max defense or a stamina boost to survive close combat (by then it will have taken chip damage already).

When Viability Rankings come out I'll be advocating for A/A- based on this set alone. Its definitely underexplored with sets like specs vacuum wave, solar beam/fire blast on sun, bulk up/ acrobatics on terrain etc. blaziken haters thought he fell off but stocks havent been this high since it was ubers. You COULD use upper hand to play mind games and 1v1 raging bolt but that requires maximum IQ. It also has a use against rain teams with aqua jet but im handling them fine as is with other team members.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 153)