SM OU Swift Swim Beartic [NEED HELP]

Hello Chaps
This is the first team i have built. I only started playing Showdown at the start of this month and was just copy and pasting teams from the OU Bazaar until this point. But I really need help!
I built this team around the Rain concept because I kept getting beat by them. So if you can't beat them... join them.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost
Rain teams don't work without this guy. I got the spread from the smogon database (if I remember correctly). For some reason I have slightly struggled with Pelipper. There seems to be a lot that checks him. Maybe the EV spread is bad but I use him mainly as a rain start, death fodder or U-Turn-ing on things like Alakazam which I have bumped into every now and then. Given how highly people rate this guy I feel like I am using him wrong.

Swampert-Mega (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Focus Punch
- Waterfall
Mega Swampert has been a beast for me. I picked up this spread from the smogon database again and it had Superpower on it but chose Focus Punch over as it hits harder and in the Rain where Swampert outspeeds pretty much everything it doesn't miss. Other moves I feel are pretty standard and don't need much explaining.

Beartic @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Play Rough
Originally when I was building this team I took the common trio of Swampert, Pelipper and Kingdra. Kingdra was ok. It took out Dragon types quite well but shared to much of a common weakness as Swampert in my eyes. So I went into the team builder and searched for a swift swimmer and was shocked to see Beartic has Swift Swim... and he is the star of the show!
I feel like In a way he has been pretty "meta" for me as no one expects him to come fast and hit as hard as he does. Dealing with the Dragons that Kingdra did without sharing the common problem that Swampert dealt with. Mainly Mega Charizard Y.
I have him Stone Edge and Play Rough for coverage and he really has been great for me. Better than Swampert even.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Protect
A second rain starter was needed because the team depends on it. Politoed tends to be my lead. Sets up rain. Gets switched out. Repeats roll. He works pretty well as a utility with Toxic on him and Ice Beam but he is really used for a back up to Pelipper incase he faints.

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
When I had my original core of Swamp/Pel/Kingdra I had 3 other pokes too. I came up against a similar team and his Magnezone destroyed me... so I adopted him straight away. He works great. Locking in steel types so I can bring in a rain setter and start up again after the initial rain dies out.

Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Thunder
- Tail Glow
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]
Very confused as to why this guy isn't Uber's. First day I thought he was. Easily getting into the 1500+SPA. In the rain thunder always hits so felt like a no brainer to me. Again other moves feel standard. His role is as an alternative sweeper and usually and consistently picks up 2+ kills a match.

I need help.
I don't know why, wether it's my inexperience or what but I have been swept 3 times by Charizard Y under the sun. Mega Heracross had a field day with me and even struggled with Alakazam the second Pelipper is down.
I need help with this team to finalise it but I don't know what more I can do. I have peaked at the early 1300s on the SM OU ladder and after adding Beartic to the mix I went 9-0. That might not sound great but when i started this team I was begging for a win. ANY critique, suggestions or help full comments would be the most helpful thing.
I would also recommend people try swift swim beartic as he really is working great for me. Specially lower ladder.... he might work great higher ladder but I haven't been there so I would know haha​

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Focus Punch
- Waterfall

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Beartic @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Play Rough

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Protect

Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Thunder
- Tail Glow
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

i think you rely too much on rain. you should take out politoed and beartic and put some utility mons

Instead of Toed and Bear you could run Ferrothorn and Kingdra. But well then it is a standard rain team haha.

At least switch the Toad for the Ferrothorn. Would be good for you to have rocks support for Zard-Y

This team has some major issues, most primarily, being heavily reliant on rain, with few mons to switch into threats.

To start, you don't need two rain setters. I recommend taking Politoad off, as it's the inferior of the two (no reliable recovery, no u-turn). I would suggest putting on a defensive Ferrothorn -- giving you access to hazards, and a mon that works very well on rain (being able to switch into opposing grass mons, and rain curbing his 4x fire weakness).

You also have two electric types, which is pretty redundant. I recommend taking off Xurkitree, as it doesn't add much to the team, and has poor defenses (unlike Magnezone). To be completely honest, with the addition of Ferrothorn, you may be best taking off both Xurkitree AND Magnezone, and using Koko as your electric type instead. Koko provides you with natural speed, which your team lacked, and a good pivot. In addition to Koko, I would recommend Latios. Latios gives you more natural speed outside of rain, and a really good hard hitter. (You can also add Goodra, instead, which works really nicely on rain, but it's slower and doesn't hit as hard).

Beyond that, take focus punch off Swampert asap -- Focus Punch has a negative priority and will always hit last regardless of your speed. Instead, use power up punch, or superpower. Also, switch Swampert to Jolly, so you actually outspeed common scarfers, such as Keldeo,

I'd also suggest putting aqua jet on Beartic, seeing as it's still outsped by pretty much all scarfers, and it can come in clutch a lot of times.

These sets are just some I threw together, so feel free to fiddle around with them a little more, but you get the idea.
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Waterfall

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

Beartic @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nature's Madness
- U-turn

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Couple of replays to showcase (only low to mid ladder bc this isn't my ladder account, but again, you get the idea):
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-589381108http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-589391559

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)