Monotype The Deadly Sins

Final (1).png

ezgif.com-resize.png

Hey all, Zap here back again with another RMT. This time I'd like to showcase a steel team that has given myself and a lot of others great success in monotype tours. It's a different approach to the typical balance steel teams and really capitalizes on the plethora of priority it has. This team has proved itself to be very useful in many matchups and I wanted to share with all of you what I have come up with. The team is called the deadly sins as a tribute to one of my favorite anime's The Seven Deadly Sins.​

To start off, I knew I wanted a team with Lucario so that was my go-to pick. I really wanted to capitalize on the sweeping potential with access to Extreme Speed, so I went with the physical life orb set.

Now that I had one set-up priority, I wanted to add another. Bisharp was my pick as it can tear balance apart and deals with psychic types well.

My mega of choice was scizor as it added even more set-up + priority. The bulk was also appreciated at the first two mons are quite frail.

Since electric types are hard for steel teams to deal with, excadrill was the obvious choice. Considering my team is priority spam, I didn't feel the need to make this thing scarf so I decided on the sash lead set.

The team was looking ground weak so celesteela was the answer. This mon is extremely annoying with it's leech seed set, and gives almost all ground types huge trouble.

Another must have on all steel teams, heatran. Flash fire giving an immunity to fire spam and trapping threats is it's main role.

ezgif.com-resize (1).png

Ban (Lucario)
@ Life Orb

Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch / Earthquake

The mon I wanted to build the team around and the one that gave me inspiration for the rest of the team. Lucario is a huge threat to teams if it is allowed to set-up. Extreme Speed hits decently hard and if backed by +2 is able to sweep through teams late game. Close Combat is great fighting stab that steel teams really appreciate by hitting walls like ferrothorn and porygon-2 for great damage. Ice Punch is the last move as it hits Gliscor, which is otherwise able to completely wall this team with its stall breaker set. Earthquake can be used to hit toxapex but Ice Punch is usually preferred. Max attack and speed EV's with an adamant nature to maximize damage output, and max speed allows Lucario to outspeed max speed Heatran by 1 point, which is crucial in the steel match-up. Ban for fox sin.

Merlin (Bisharp)
@ Darkinium Z

Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Bisharp was my next set-up priority mon as it is able to sweep through teams after a Swords Dance. It does an extremely good job at breaking balanced teams paired with a Darkinium-Z Crystal. Its ability is also terrifying as it can easily punish defog on teams that hate rocks on their side. A +2 Z-Sucker Punch also KO's max defense toxapex after rocks, which is really crucial as toxapex usually walls steel types. Knock off for good damage on slower targets, sucker punch for priority, and iron head for general stab. EV's are max attack and speed with an adamant nature, so bisharp can hit as hard as possible and outspeed bulkier mons. Merlin for the dark aestheticc.

King (Scizor-Mega)
@ Scizorite

Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Atk / 112 Def / 16 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn

The mega of choice was Scizor, providing the team with much necessary bulk and another SD priority user. The set is pretty standard, opted for U-turn over Bug Bite as it allows me to pivot into my breakers. The EVs are standard physically defensive Scizor, with a little extra speed. The speed EV's are mainly to outspeed adamant azumrill and slightly speed invested Mega Venusaur. That is crucial as it allows Scizor to get up a SD and U-turn out on a potential HP Fire and get good damage.King for form change.

Meliodas (Excadrill)
@ Focus Sash

Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head / Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin / Toxic

Since electric and fire types give this team a problem, I needed Excadrill. Steel teams usually run this as scarf, but since I already had so much priority, I decided to make this my lead sash mon. It works really well as a scarf bluff, and having rocks on it really pressure teams early game to defog, which is great set-up for bisharp. Rocks and Earthquake for the obvious, which is needed to hit for good stab damage and for fire and electric types. Iron Head is used so I can hit earthquake resists, and last move is rapid spin as hazards limit the breaker's potential to set-up. Toxic is slashed on Iron Head as it can be used to hit mega sableye because it tends to give the team trouble. EV's are standard max attack and speed with a jolly nature. Scarf can be used on this and the rocks role can go to heatran as an alternative option. Meliodas for leader.​

Diane (Celesteela)
@ Leftovers

Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic / Flamethrower

Next comes the bane of everyone's existence, Celesteela! Leech + Protect stall is extremely effective at not only annoying the opponent but slowly wearing down the opposing team to setup for a sweep. Protect also scouts whether choice locked mons like victini are going for an electric or fire move, giving you the advantage of being able to switch out to the proper immunity. Heavy Slam is used for great stab damage, as it hits like a truck against most threats. And last move is toxic to wear down the opponent even further and catch walls that dont care about leech seed off guard. Flamethrower is another option as it can hit mons like ferrothorn, magnezone, and opposing celesteela.The EV's are standard taken from OU, maximizing bulk on both sides. Diane for giant.

Gowther (Heatran)
@ Air Balloon

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Rock Tomb

Lastly is the quintessential steel pokemon, Heatran. Flash fire is absolutely needed on every steel team, and Heatran provides great utility in trapping threats and passing off great damage. Magma Storm for good stab damage and trapping capabilities. Taunt to stop opposing mons from recovering or defogging away hazards, Earth Power to hit opposing heatran and other fire types. The last move slot is conventionally stone edge or rock tomb to hit Charizard Y and Volcarona, but I figured with rocks up and the plethora of priority, that shouldnt be much of a problem. Instead, I chose HP Ice as it hits gliscor and garchomp which give the team a lot of trouble. Gowther because of the armor.

ezgif.com-resize (2).png

Anyways that concludes the explanation of the team. I hope you find success in using this team too, as I had a lot of fun building it and I enjoyed the unconventional approach to the often bulky steel teams that are around. This team does really well in tournaments, and if played aggressively can win almost any match-up. This team has been used by many others to great success as well, and it's not too hard a team to get the hang of. Good luck!​

ezgif.com-resize (3).png

Ban (Lucario) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Merlin (Bisharp) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

King (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Atk / 124 Def / 16 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn

Meliodas (Excadrill) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Diane (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic

Gowther (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

ezgif.com-resize (5).png

Shoutout delta for being the most toxic community I know
Shoutout woa peeps for good conversations - 1
Shoutout arbiter for the shit memes
Shoutout Mac
Huge shoutout to TheAveng92R for helping me with all the RMT art, thanks a bunch!
Shoutout everyone else you know who you are, not gonna write paragraphs on y'all just know ur appreciated

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)