The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

I think what is generally happening with Pain Split is that AI sees it as a damaging move. When you are at low health, I believe the AI is programmed to use a weaker attack to KO a pokemon to preserve PP for the stronger attacks that are needed to KO the next thing coming in. What attack is weaker than a 0 BP attack to finish off a weakened opponent?
I kind of noticed this in the second battle against Lusamine. Her Mismagius, who was a pain to take out in the first battle thanks to Mystical Fire not letting my special attackers do their part (and my physical attackers being all weak to Ghost), did nothing but spam Pain Split.

Of course, as best I can tell, AI uses Z Crystals completely randomly, which is why it can use Z moves to try to finish off a weakened opponent like Codra's example.
Or use it on a Mimikyu that still had its Disguise up like in my example.

Of course, as best I can tell, AI uses Z Crystals completely randomly, which is why it can use Z moves to try to finish off a weakened opponent like Codra's example.
Or use it on a Mimikyu that still had its Disguise up like in my example.
I more meant this part as the exception to the part where i mentioned lowest BP attacks to finish off opponents. The Mimikyu part comes from AI not taking ability based immunities into account until it actually throws an attack into the immunity.

Haxorus in the Battle Maison kept spamming Outrage against my Togekiss for 3 turns until it got wise and switched out. Got in a paralysis and a free Nasty Plot boost while it was doing so, being free to sweep the trainer's entire team.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think his Raichu only knows Psychic.
Nope, at all times his Alolan Raichu has Psychic (which Alolan Raichu learns upon evolving), an Electric move, and Quick Attack. In Aether Paradise he had Thunderbolt, there's no excuse unless the AI for some reason decided to test which was the better Psychic-type Pokemon.

Would anyone know what level Hau's AI is? I'd normally think on the level of Ace Trainers but maybe they made it lower to represent he's more lax than other trainers?

Ok, so this team I just faced in the Battle Tree in general is dumb. I think the Pokemon are like randomly generated or something, so this is an AI thing.

My team: Snorlax/Honchkrow/Arcanine/Kommo-O
Opponent's Team: Bronzong/Ludicolo/Toxicroak/Tentacruel

My opponent's Bronzong had Rain Dance on it, which seems logical, as the other three teammates benefit from Rain. He also had Trick Room WHEN THE REST OF HIS TEAM IS FULL OF STUFF THAT'S FAST (if the Ludicolo had Swift Swim this would be even worse). My Snorlax benefited more from this than my opponent's team (helps that his Bronzong didn't have Levitate either), even if the Bronzong could've just slept everything as it also had Hypnosis. Naturally, this dumb strategy caused me to easily win the match. Fix your RNG GameFreak.

For whatever reason, Hala's Crabrawler in the first trial seems to be coded to use Leer on the first turn when you switch something new in. So instead of a +3 Power-Up Punch OHKOing my Alolan Grimer, it used Leer instead, buying me a turn to use Acid Spray and win. It did the same thing when I switched in my Yungoos as death fodder to heal Grimer.

I think there's a flaw in Hau's AI - I just had a similar case of him using Psychic on Hypno and Bruxish during a multi battle in my 2nd playthrough. He was happy to use an electric move on Ledian though.

Doing Multi Battles in the Battle Tree. I have Tapu Lele out, my partner (Ace Trainer Sylvia) has Ninetales-K out, the opponent has Glalie out. Glalie uses Shadow Ball. On Ninetales.

Battle Tree had a Durant with the ability Truant and the move Dig. He digs underground turn one, then fails to follow through on the attack because of his ability. He did this at least twice, for some odd reason.
The Battle Tree has some odd movesets, yes. I've encountered quite a few Loppunies holding Toxic Orbs too, yet none of them seemed to have Switcheroo on their movesets, or Klutz as abilities.

One thing some people who've done a lot of research into the battle maison observed was that the four sets each Pokémon had increased in competency, going from gimmicky with the low set to highly tuned with the final, fourth set. suspect that's true of the battle tree as well, and what you're seeing. Lopunny1 does similar stuff in the maison since fake out overrides the AI's priorities, even though a human wouldn't run fling+toxic orb alongside fake out without klutz.

Also, while I'm aware wild pokemon don't usually count here due to their almost completely random move choice, I think the pelippers at the start of Poni Island deserve a mention- Swallow/Spit Up/Stockpile/Roost leads to a lot of wasted turns. I know there moveset is that way due to how wild Pokémon's movesets are determined, and not any conscious choice on the part of the developers, but still. The sheer incompetence of those pelippers is kind of hilarious.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Also, while I'm aware wild pokemon don't usually count here due to their almost completely random move choice, I think the pelippers at the start of Poni Island deserve a mention- Swallow/Spit Up/Stockpile/Roost leads to a lot of wasted turns. I know there moveset is that way due to how wild Pokémon's movesets are determined, and not any conscious choice on the part of the developers, but still. The sheer incompetence of those pelippers is kind of hilarious.
As if we needed any more reasons to question what the heck the developers were thinking with those Pelipper...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
That reminds me of something when I was trying to get a Riolu.

(Uses Hold Back to knock Riolu's HP down to 1)
Riolu called for back-up!
A second Riolu appeared!
(Switched in Magnezone to Thunder Wave weakened Riolu)
Both Riolu used Final Gambit!

... What was the point of calling in back-up?

Last edited:
That reminds me of something when I was trying to get a Riolu.

(Uses Hold Back to knock Riolu's HP down to 1)
Riolu called for back-up!
A second Riolu appeared!
(Switched in Magnezone to Thunder Wave weakened Riolu)
Both Riolu used Memento!

... What was the point of calling in back-up?
Wouldn't it have been Final Gambit (which thankfully fails against Ghost-types else they'd be almost impossible to chain)?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Wouldn't it have been Final Gambit (which thankfully fails against Ghost-types else they'd be almost impossible to chain)?
Oh, yeah, guess it was. Eitherway both uses a self knockout move which made it lovely trying to catch one. Catch Rate 75 isn't too bad, but it was a rare encounter so spent a bit of time trying to get one.

One time in Pokemon Emerald's Battle Pike, I was against Lucy. My other 2 Pokemon are dead and Lucy just has Gyarados. Thunderbolt failed to KO Gyarados and Starmie is one Return away from death. You know what Lucy does? Rest. And she kept using Rest just allowing me to kill Gyarados.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)