The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

Yesterday, I was trying a gimmick Doubles sun team in the Battle Tree. It failed epically, but not as much as this.

One of the opponents I found was a Porygon2. I had Oricorio and Lilligant out.

In the first turn, Porygon2 uses Lock-On on Lilligant.
I don't switch either Pokemon out.
In the second turn, Porygon2 uses Zap Cannon on Oricorio. And misses, naturally.

(This gets counteracted by what happened today on a Singles battle. After finding out Cynthia's Garchomp happened to carry a Choice Scarf as it OHKOed my Tapu Koko without having the chance to move, I sent out Salamence to set up on its Earthquake. She immediately switched out Garchomp for Milotic, which proved to be my undoing)

Apparently the Battle Tree AI has no idea how Shields Down works, as I've had more than one opponent start spamming Yawn or Thunder Wave over and over in a futile attempt to make it work.

Yep, just let my Minior proceed to set-up. I'm in no rush.

There are probably more stupid AI moments out there: I remember the AI using Follow Me in singles when climbing the Battle Tower in Emerald. #Pro.

Also, I remember how retarded the AI was in low streak Battle Factory. One day, I decide to tackle the Battle Factory. I was in a tough spot. I won simply because the AI decided to select Sunny Day 3 times in a row. In any other scenario were the AI wasn't braindead and decided to use an attacking move, I would have lost.

Hau really screwed me over when having a double battle inside the Aether Foundation building. He lead with A-Raichu. I lead with Skarmory. The leading Pokes where Ledian and Slowbro. I was like: Cool, I can target Ledian with Fly and hope the AI targets Slowbro with T-Bolt. AI proceeds to target Ledian with Psychic. Me: Of course. I then KO Ledian with fly. AI targets Slowbro with Psychic. No comments. I was so pissed I wanted to kill Hau's team. (Not literally.)

Last edited:
In the Battle Tree, a Durant with Truant used Dig. I was laughing hysterically when it happened. Why did it even have Dig in the first place?

In the Battle Tree, a Durant with Truant used Dig. I was laughing hysterically when it happened. Why did it even have Dig in the first place?
At least I can understand this one a bit, as the pokemon movesets are pre-programmed but the abilities are randomized. The poor AI is programmed to use it expecting Hustle or Swarm, but got Truant.

I forgot to mention that during the 100 trainer challenge in Pokemon Colosseum, there is a trainer that uses a Slaking with Solarbeam.

A much more obscure idiocy done by the AI during the same challenge is a trainer that uses Latias with Frustration. But does literally zero with said attack. Happiness maxed out?

Also, anyone that has seen Chuggaconroy's Colosseum walk through, knows about the running gag where the AI constantly targets Emile's Misdreavus with normal moves. Hence, the "It doesn't affect Misdreavus" joke.

I dunno, that could actually be pretty clever - heal an opponent that is in the brink of elimination, then focus on attacking the one that is about to win :P
It used it on my Mudsdale that would've gone down to literally any attack it used. But nope, Heal Pulse.

I should probably mention that it did this twice in a row.

It used it on my Mudsdale that would've gone down to literally any attack it used. But nope, Heal Pulse.

I should probably mention that it did this twice in a row.
It was probably a situation where if your Mudsdale fainted the match would end and they'd get a KO point but some other player had more points so they'd lose the match overall. So they were healing you in an attempt to stall the match out longer to get more KO's.

At least, that's my best guess.

It was probably a situation where if your Mudsdale fainted the match would end and they'd get a KO point but some other player had more points so they'd lose the match overall. So they were healing you in an attempt to stall the match out longer to get more KO's.

At least, that's my best guess.
Nah, I started with Mudsdale, which is where it's just perplexing.

More efficient weather setting:
Aurorus's Snow Warning!
It began to hail!
The opposing Aurorus used Sandstorm!
Had you let it survive another time, that Aurorus would have used Hail.

At least, that's what it did when I faced that set the same time (because the Sandstorm helped it survive a Flash Cannon)

An Exeggutor in the Battle Tree activated its Z-Crystal and used Bloom Doom on my Tapu Koko. That was at 1 HP.
Meh, using a Z-Move on a Mimikyu (e.g. Corkscrew Crash from one of the early Toucannon) with an active Disguise is far worse.

Meh, using a Z-Move on a Mimikyu (e.g. Corkscrew Crash from one of the early Toucannon) with an active Disguise is far worse.
Me like 20 times during the mimikyu trial. I used Sinister Arrow Raid 4 times in a row on disguise. I had a complete brain fart about disguise,thinking it was a sturdy clone. I was planning to sucker punch it to death the next turn. Boosted mimikyu + allies ohko'd decidueye and proceeded to sweep my team easily. Finally, I figured to lead with greninja's water shuriken. Once decidueye came it, sucker punch was the knockout punch. This probably also could be my most face palm worthy moment.

So I'm essentially in hell right now because my AI multi-battle partner is a dipshit because apparently Limber doesn't exist to it and he keeps trying to paralyze Hawlucha when NOTHING is happening

EDIT: It's literally my partner's Magnezone (WITH AN ELECTRIC MOVE) vs the Hawlucha bounce stall set, only attacking move is bounce

Last edited:
I was playing Battle Tree and was battling a Swampert. My team was Blaziken, Kartana, and Gengar. Blaziken was sent out first. Swampert used Earthquake while Blaziken used Protect for that Speed Boost. Swampert had the really bad and dumb decision to use Roar. Roar sent out Kartana.
Swampert's only weakness is a 4x to Grass. Kartana is a Grass/Steel type with insane Attack...(Leaf Blade.)

Basically, it was suicide for the Swampert. XD

I was playing Battle Tree and was battling a Swampert. My team was Blaziken, Kartana, and Gengar. Blaziken was sent out first. Swampert used Earthquake while Blaziken used Protect for that Speed Boost. Swampert had the really bad and dumb decision to use Roar. Roar sent out Kartana.
Swampert's only weakness is a 4x to Grass. Kartana is a Grass/Steel type with insane Attack...(Leaf Blade.)

Basically, it was suicide for the Swampert. XD
To be fair, phazing moves select a random target, and the AI has difficulty switching even in Battle Tree.

A few days ago, I purchased Pokemon Blue on the 3DS Virtual Console. I just beat Blaine, and he wasted a turn healing a Rapidash, THAT WAS ALREADY AT FULL HEALTH. Like why would you do that?!

I assume, considering the very buggy nature of gen 1, that this is yet another programming error. Of course, I could be wrong. Either way its still very dumb.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
A few days ago, I purchased Pokemon Blue on the 3DS Virtual Console. I just beat Blaine, and he wasted a turn healing a Rapidash, THAT WAS ALREADY AT FULL HEALTH. Like why would you do that?!

I assume, considering the very buggy nature of gen 1, that this is yet another programming error. Of course, I could be wrong. Either way its still very dumb.
Who were you using? If Rapidash didn't have any non-resisted moves his AI may have decided it was better to heal (remember the AI takes the type of status moves into account, which is why you can beat Lance's Dragonite with a low level Tentacool since he'll keep on using Barrier).

So I remember a very distinct case of AI stupidity for my first playthrough. It was against Lusamine round 2, and her Clefable against my Kommo-o. I had forgotten to swap out of it to Magnezone, so I decided, "eh, fuck it. Might as well sac it so something can come in for free," and went with Work Up.

It used Moonlight, apparently figuring I was going to Poison Jab it or something.

I just took it, and kept buffing up, while it kept spamming Moonlight until I was at +5. Then I nuked Clefable with Poison Jab, and murdered the rest of her team, with only Mismagius landing a hit on me with Shadow Ball

Easiest boss fight ever :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)