The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

Against Totem Wishiwashi, I used my Psyduck, because it resisted Water and had HP Electric. Psyduck had Cloud Nine. Totem Wishiwashi used Rain Dance every single turn for several turns while I slowly killed it. I guess this is because the AI acted like there was no weather (which makes sense unless it's deciding whether to use a weather-causing move).
I'd love to see what happens if you fight Totem Wishiwashi with Primal Groudon. Too bad the Red Orb hasn't been released yet. Probably continue to use Rain Dance while Groudon sharpens his knives for the kill.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'd love to see what happens if you fight Totem Wishiwashi with Primal Groudon. Too bad the Red Orb hasn't been released yet. Probably continue to use Rain Dance while Groudon sharpens his knives for the kill.
You can get the Red Orb in Hau'oli City's Mall. It's from the antique store that's at the upper right corner if I recall. They sell it, the Blue Orb, Adamant Orb, Lustrous Orb, and Griseous Orb for 10k each. They also sell some of the Plates.

Wouldn't matter anyway because it's only attacking move is Water Gun, which Desolate Land renders useless anyway, though Groudon probably won't obey because it's too high level for just the one Grand Trial you would have faced so far at that point in the game.

just caught tapu lele. as you can see its legendary status and psychic typing meant that it was only logical that it used the right moves...right?

"hey guys check out my cool signature move"
It kind of happened to me when I tried to catch Tapu Koko. It almost KOed my MAROWAK with Nature's Madness due to how reluctant it was to let me catch it.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Route 11 in B2/W2 has a breeder you can fight over and over again as an alternative to audino grinding. In my 30+ battles with her she would always turn one encore with her emolga- despite always outspeeding, and therefore the move failed. I grinded up a jellicent against that thing and it always started with encore, despite having electro ball.

While doing the Battle Arena in Emerald, on the Gold Symbol fight, Greta's Breloom tried to Focus Punch my Swampert turn 2 instead of Giga Draining for the kill. Would have lost the fight if she hadn't done that, as we were both on our last pokemon.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
You have no idea how many times the AI has used a Z-Move on my Pokemon when it's in the red in the Battle Tree.

...when it's not even my last Pokémon.
I've probably posted this before, but I had an AI blow its Z-move at my Vaporeon when it was at 7 HP. The Z-move was Hydro Vortex. Barring exceptional circumstances, Vaporeon all have Water Absorb as their ability.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
In the Battle Tree, sometimes it feels like the AI gives up or just doesn't care. When I KOed someone's first Pokemon with Thunderbolt from Xurkitree, they sent out a Pelipper and let it be killed by another Thunderbolt. I thought they sent it out because they had nothing that resisted Thunderbolt... until they sent out their Ground Type Marowak. It's at least forgivable when they hold back their Steel Types against my Moxie Salamence because they know I have a Mega-Blaziken that's still alive. This was just pure stupidity.

Overall the AI seems to have no idea whatsoever of when to use a Z-Move. They pretty much use it at the first opportunity.

Hence why you see things like Z-Moves on almost KOed Pokemon, Z-Moves on a Mimikyu that still has its Disguise intact (I'll never forget this one), or Z-Moves that are nullified by abilities (is it that hard to check first with the regular move?). Or Hau using Oceanic Operetta on you.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Overall the AI seems to have no idea whatsoever of when to use a Z-Move. They pretty much use it at the first opportunity.

Hence why you see things like Z-Moves on almost KOed Pokemon, Z-Moves on a Mimikyu that still has its Disguise intact (I'll never forget this one), or Z-Moves that are nullified by abilities (is it that hard to check first with the regular move?). Or Hau using Oceanic Operetta on you.
^ times like 1000000x
Really though, the AI isn't bad, it's just not a chance for mindless, sheer brute force or item stall (revives and hyper potions). I beat the notorious Totem Lurantis with a Brionne, which just comes to show how easy it can be. Items imo can be pretty broken.

The AI has always been bad at this sort of thing, it just is more obvious due to Z-Move mechanics.

So in my Silver playthrough it was Whitney's Miltank versus my female Geodude. You'd think it would use Stomp for flinches. What does it use? Rollout.

Conni

katharsis
I keep on running into AIs that attack initially at full HP, but once they reach low HP then they start to set up, I mean its too late for that because they're already at so less health and that the set up boosts aren't really that significant anymore at that point of health. It's pretty baffling, at no point in time have I've seen setting up at around 15% HP work in the long run in-game, yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)