SM UU The Goonies

Introduction
Hi, i'm DraconicLepus, a casual UUer, and I wanted to come share this team which I think is one of the best teams I have built since starting to play. I didn't start with this tier when I first joined Showdown. I started playing Monotype, getting into the tier before being invited to a league. That's where my journey began, and now I'm here playing UU today, meeting tons of new people. I thank a lot of them for helping me get to the point I'm at today, because they constantly support me, and remind me of what I can be if I continue to try. Onto the RMT!

Teambuilding Process

The team didn't start by being built around any of these Pokemon. It started by me wanting to try Icium Z Suicune, which can lure Pokemon such as Latias and Hydreigon for the other team members while still being a wincon. The first partner I thought of was Kommo-o, due to it being able to enjoy those two being lured by Suicune. At the same time, Suicune could take Ice-type attacks, and appreciate the breaking power of Kommo-o (Clanger to most) which could be a setup mon alongside it a Stealth Rock setter, or so many other options due to its versatility. These two made up the start of the team, and I tried to continue on with the thought of all mons enjoying the dragons and potentially grasses being lured.

Next off, I felt like I needed some sort of solid defense to add to this, and a Grass-type was the first thing that came to mind as a to compement all this. That ended up being Amoonguss, a check to multiple types and a great pivot due to its ability Regenerator. This addition worked well with everything so far, as the team struggled vs. Primarina and other fairy types (bar Togekiss) that Kommo-o doesn't like, and it could take Electric- and Grass-type moves that Suicune doesn't like to deal with. Overall, Amoonguss fit perfectly into the balance/bulky offense that I usually build and supported the rest of the team great due to its typing and pivot capabilities.

Next was a choice that I went between, either Bisharp or Krookodile: One had priority with Sucker Punch nd a Steel typing that allowed me to check Latias, while the other gave me speed control and a Volt Switch immunity from thinking of what the team needed at the time, Krookodile was chosen as the speed control of the team for the role compression of being a Choice Scarf user and a Ground-type as well. It's spot was very clear once thought about and it added more roles that needed to be filled than Bisharp did.

I was missing Defog, potentially another form of speed control, a Flying resist, and a Ground immunity, which are all important and nice to have on a team, which leads to the last two Pokemon of the team: Scizor and Rotom-Heat. Scizor continues to prove its dominance and splashability, making a Volt-Turn core with Rotom, along with having priority, my second form of speed control. Rotom provided the much needed hazard removal, and its resistance to Flying was useful due to how many Pokemon would have been threatened by Moltres and the other Flying types such as it. They formed the last part of the team, which completed the team, or so I thought.

The last change of the team was switching Suicune for Primarina, as my weakness to Hydreigon and dragons of the like was too much to ignore. It still provided the Fire and Ice resist that was wanted in the team, and its Fairy typing let me much more easily check some of the top-tier dragons in UU. This was the last change that fully completed the team to the point it is today.

The Team

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Primarina is one of, if not the best Fairy-type in UU with its terrifying potential as a breaker with Choice Specs, or its more recent defensive set to reliably check multiple Dragon- and Fire-types in the tier. It's Water/Fairy typing only leaves it completely resisted by a few Pokemon, and with its coverage move in Psychic [On specs mainly can let it beat some of these checks. The defensive set was chosen over its Specs set because I wanted more insurance and safely to cover top threats such as Hydreigon, Infernape, and Kommo-o. It also allows me to easily pivot in on moves such as Scald and Toxic without fearing status due to Rest. Primarina was the mon that went through the most thinking of what set would be chosen, due to the reason that one downside of the team in its current point is the lack of breaking power. A Specs set could fix this, though I would lose the defensive synergy it has currently with the team. This currently is the mon that would be most prone to a set change out of anything if I were to change the team right now.

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Clanging Scales
- Taunt
Kommo-o is my breaker and rocker of choice. For a while this mon has been gaining a lot of steam in the UU meta and in my opinion is the best offensive stealth rocker in the tier. With its mixed STAB in Clanging Scales and Close Combat, it is able to break a lot of defensive cores (except Fairy Types) that believe they would be able to switch in. In conjunction with Taunt, Kommo-o is able to stop opposing Stealth Rock, Defog, and much more, which makes it very scary to face if there is no Fairy on an opposing team. Here is a potential change, and that would be is putting Dragonium Z instead of Life Orb. Dragonium Z lets Clanging Scales become a one time nuke that can hit a physical wall very hard and potentially kill it due to hitting on the special side (rip broken Kommonium Z). Though, from my testing the Z-Crystal is better put on another Pokemon, which will be brought up later. All in all, Kommo-o is a very scary breaker that the team needed to be able to get past defensive cores it may not have been able to before.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Clear Smog
Amoonguss is the next choice on the team, and he is a great part of the defensive core. Amoonguss in conjunction with Rocky Helmet is one of the best countermeasures to VoltTurn that I believe is in the tier; not only does it resist Volt Switch, it deals damage to the Pokemon clicking U-turn while being able to easily gain back its HP due to Regenerator. Not only that, but being able to scare so much with the potential of being put to sleep due to Spore, gives it some offensive presence that a Pokemon like this wouldn't normally have. Another reason Amoonguss was chosen was due to its Grass/Poison typing, it gives me a check to Water-, Fairy-, and Fighting-types. Clear Smog was chosen as the last move to give me a way to deter setup sweepers and breakers that could threaten the team otherwise. This was the first time I genuinely tried Amoonguss, and this mushroom/PokeBall hybrid has not disappointed me thus far.

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Crunch
Krookodile is one of if not the best scarfer in the tier. Itss access to Pursuit and Knock Off makes it one of the most reliable Pursuit trappers, and lets it cripple foes as well depending on how the Pursuit 50/50 goes. Krookodile gave me much needed speed control, which I did not have yet, along with an Electric immunity, which gave me a second out against Volt-Turn. Pursuit and its Dark typing was also useful due to the inherent weakness I currently had to Psychic-type Pokemon such as Latias and Celebi. The reason Crunch is chosen over Stone Edge is because I feel Psychic-type Pokemon were much more threatening, and if said Psychic-type had a Z-Crystal and Knock Off couldn't KO, Crunch gave me a second option to do the slight bit more damage needed. Though it is up to players choice, since both Stone Edge and Crunch are viable options.

Scizor @ Buginium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Atk / 148 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
Scizor is one of the most dominant forces, and its arguably the best Pokemon in the tier for good reason. It has so many different options from Swords Dance, to pivot with U-turn, to even Defog. Its amazing typing lets it check Pokemon like Latias and Celebi (previously stated as threats), and things such Mamoswine and Mega Aerodactyl due to its access to priority in Bullet Punch. I opted for a more bulky set due to the reason that I wanted something that could reliably switch into Dragon- and Psychic-type attacks, and in combination with Roost it allows Scizor to do that multiple times. This spread was taken from the Scizor Analysis Revamp, and I feel fits well because it allows me to check everything I want it to. As an added bonus, it gave this team a wincon with SD + priority Bullet Punch. The last move in U-turn may seem counterproductive as a wincon, but this is why I put the Z-Crystaal on Scizor over Kommo-o. Buginium Z allows me to have a one time nuke from U-turn at +2, or however much I set up, to a Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Alomomola, or Suicune that otherwise would be able to come in and easily check Scizor. Apart from being able to use U-turn like this, before setting up for late-game or potentially breaking, I can also use U-turn to pivot and weaken threats I might not have otherwise been able to KO. Scizor also forms a nice VoltTurn core with the last mon of the team.

Rotom-Heat @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Toxic
Rotom-Heat has been continuously rising in viability due to the insane role compression it provides. Its Electric typing provides a Flying resistance to many of the viable Flying-types like Togekiss and Moltres. In addition, Levitate lets it act as a Ground immunity and check Ground-types like Mamoswine. Most importantly, its combine typing gives it a 4x resistance to Steel, making it a great check to Scizor and easily OHKOing it with Overheat. Defog allows me to remove hazards off the field. While I don't have any inherently hazard-weak pokemon, SpikeStack can easily wear down a lot of Pokemon on my team, and it is greatly appreciated to have that ability. Volt Switch allows me, along with Scizor, to pivot to other Pokemon on the team to help get others in safely. This Pokemon gave the last important point that had me say the team is finished, and I was very happy with the result.

Threats

Starmie is honestly a huge threat to this team, specifically its offensive set. It's combination of moves that it can have, especially if it has Electric coverage means nothing on my team can safely switch in. If it had Yhunderbolt, Primarina can't check it anymore, kinda similar to Psyshock but not as bad. Hydro Pump hits Scizor and Rotom while Psyshock/Ice Beam can hit the rest of my team super effectively. If I don't play around this well it can easily KO my entire team without many problems. The only way to reliably deal Starmie is to hope it doesn't have Thunderbolt or Pursuit trap it with Krookodile. This is easily the biggest threat to my team.

Another pokemon I technically have zero checks to. Lucario is another terrifying breaker than can run through my team if I let it set up, especially if it is Nasty Plot. The main thing with this is not much lets it easily set up unless Krook is choice-locked into a Dark type move. So Lucario + a Psychic- or Ghost-type could be very problematic. Just a note to Calm Mind Cobalion as a threat: it's not nearly as common as Lucario, but its threatening for the same reasons.

Another Nasty Plot Pokemon that can break through my team, with my one check being Primarina. Infernape in general can threaten my team depending on the set and coverage, but as long as Primarina is kept healthy it should be fine. Amoonguss freely lets Infernape in, which can give it a chance to set up, but besides that it can be managed.

Suicune, specifically Vincune, can be very annoying if it gets behind a sub and begins to set up. Amoonguss is not the most reliable check because it can't Clear Smog its boosts behind a sub. It also can't break the sub with Giga Drain after Suicune gets to +1. It's mainly making sure to Taunt with Kommo-o and not let it set up, or surprise with the Savage Spin-Out on Scizor to get a KO. Either way, it's still an annoying mon to deal with.

I just wanted to give a shout out to Frosslass more as an annoyance over a threat. Due to its typing, Speed tier, and moves, it can annoy a lot of the team and either chip them or get up spikes freely. The best way to play this lead is to go Rotom-Heat and Volt Switch into Scizor to get the Bullet Punch off, at max allowing only one layer of Spikes to get up. This could also be done with Krookodile but it fears Icy Wind.

Conclusion
This team has worked great for me. It's very consistent in battle, has multiple ways around common threats, and shows the current meta trends well (such as Primarina and Kommo-o). I hope you enjoyed reading through this and enjoy the team if you decide to use it!

A Cake Wearing A Hat
He gets first shoutout because he made the banner and all that. So thanks for that Cake. Anyways Cake, you are a meme, and a great friend. We have been talking for not sure how long but it's always a joy to be around you, and just kinda chill. Keep running all your projects and be the silly cake that you are. I'm glad we got to meet you big nerd

vivalospride
You're one of the first people I met in the UU community and I can't thank you enough for all you've done for me. I'm probably gonna repeat this you are an awesome friend (and a great Theo) and I really need to talk to you more often. Sorry if i've been kinda quiet cuz I love talking to you, but honestly thank you for putting up with me. You've helped me meet so many new people and get out of my comfort zone, and honestly, again just thank you.

'sei.
Another of the first people I met in UU [probably through viv tbh] but you are cool af. You make good rates and I enjoy our conversations from time to time. I'm glad you're back on smogon and being active cool user Sei.

Nuked
You are awesome. You are good. You are a nerd. I know we need to talk more, and I really want to, but that one day I randomly messaged you I don't think i'll regret. You've quickly become a great friend of mine and i hope we can continue being that way. I'll always be here to help if you need it bud.

eht
uwu

Sage
Another person I met through viv, and ladies and gentlemen, this gal is goat. Super nice and fun to talk to, makes heat teams, and taught me a lot when it comes to teambuilding. Hope things are going well for you in life and good luck in whatever you do in the future. Be the best person you can be.

Decem
One of the people I still know and talk to from the Monotype days. Congratz on Monotype room owner. That is a huge accomplishment and you should be proud of it. I'm glad I still know you and am able to talk to you. If you ever need help in UU you know who to ask :)

Accelgor
I first started talking to you when I was trying to apply for Teambuilding Lab when you still ran it. Now we continue to talk today. I know things have been rough for you but whatever happens, I know you got this. I'm glad we got to meet and I wish you the best of luck in life friend.

Euphonos
You are first person who gave me a big role in a project. Iron Chef was a joy to participate in and I was surprised to get the offer to become a judge from you. You raised my confidence when it comes to teambuilding and some of my abilities, and I thank you for that. Keep coming up with those wacky teams of yours.

To the MSPL group
You guys are awesome, to anyone I didn't specifically mention above. While I may not talk much, its a group of people I love to be around and its always fun to be there. Thanks to all of you who welcomed me into the group and that I got to know as friends because of it.

And to anyone else I may have forgotten, just know I still love all of you guys as my friends. You helped support me when it comes to Pokemon and even beyond that, and its been a joy to be in this community. So thank you to anyone I have met and have talked to through my journey on Pokemon Showdown. Its awesome to be a part of this

Last edited:
Hey DraconicLepus sorry for the late reply. I was excited to see your RMT for this squad and I was not disappointed. It looks really solid and something I would use myself tbh. When I rated this team the main things I considered were the threats you listed, as well as Terrakion which I think can be threatening if it is SD. As you pointed out this squad also lacks some breaking power as it is primarily reliant on Kommo-o as Scizor needs a turn to set-up, so I will be looking to address that too. As far as this rate goes, I am going to make two changes and the rest will just be minor set adjustments which I think can go a long way.

Major Changes:

>
: The reason I am suggesting this change is because it still acts as the set-up wincon you wanted while giving you a better counter to Terrakion which isn't easy to switch into if it is SD, as you are reliant on pivoting into Amoong to scout. It is your check to Mega-Aero which I felt you also struggle switching into depending on the coverage. Also, with some of my suggestions it becomes harder to handle. As for the threats you listed, it stops Lucario in its tracks + can't be revenged by Starmie at +2. I opted for Shadow Claw here as it punishes Scizor and Suicune better (You have a decent match-up vs Bisharp already too), but Sacred Sword works nicely here as well.

>
: This change is to help with Infernape while still giving you a check to things like Primarina and other fairy types. It also helps against Physical Ape sets (Mainly CB), especially with a later change I am making to Prima. This acts as your new hazard remover which opens the slot up for Rotom-H to run something else. It still can phaze set-up sweepers like Amoong did. In the last slot I chose Sludge Wave as pressuring Prima and Malt is nicer + it isn't stopped by Bulletproof from Kommo-o unlike Sludge Bomb. As far as the EV spread goes I went with a bulky variant, but if you prefer being faster than Rotom-H use the recommended set.

Minor Changes:

EV Spread Adjustment : I took 4 Spe off to lose the speed tie with other Rotom-H as you can get momentum + you don't switch into it that well aside from Kommo-o or your own Rotom-H. With the slot opened I recommend using Pain Split to keep it healthy. You can also opt to run Rocky Helmet on this if you want to keep chipping at U-turn users like Scizor now that it has some form of recovery.

>
: You already addressed about using Specs or Bulky Prima. I think Specs is a lot nicer on this squad to have more breaking power. It also appreciates Rotom-H giving it a free switch in against Kommo-o and Hydra. I gave it enough Spe for Crawdaunt. Just to let you know Sparkling could have some counter-productivity with Tenta Scald burns, though I doubt it will prove to be a deciding factor. If you are bothered by that, use Scald or even Surf.

>
: With Scizor being replaced and the Z-move freed up, I shifted Dragonium-Z onto Kommo-o to help it break through bulky walls better. It is very nice for punishing a lot of common hazard removers like Tentacruel and Gligar. Overall, more breaking potential for the team.

<Click Sprites for Importable>
That is about all I could think of to try improve the team. The threats you listed should be a lot more manageable. Suicune is still annoying, but Tenta has Haze + Kommo-o has Taunt for it. But now that Prima is Specs it can break through decently well. The Latias match-up becomes a bit harder with your bulky Scizor set being replaced, but Krook + Doublade handles it pretty well. I hope you like the suggestions and have fun with it, if you give it a try. If you have any questions just let me know and I look forward to seeing more heat you come up with dude ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)