Other Metagames The Nuclear Army - BH team by Balanced Freakmons

Artwork by me

Introduction:
Hello, it's Balanced Freakmons with another RMT post. This time I bring you a Balanced Hackmons team, named "The Nuclear Army", the first one I post after the Innards Out ban. After playing a lot with my other teams I found I wanted to build a team around two of the best wallbreakers we have in all metagames and take advantage of all of its offensive potential: Mega Rayquaza and Primal Groudon. Now add to Ray a Choice Specs and Aerilate Boomburst and you have the definition of Nuclear Weapon in Pokémon. The same happens on the physical side with Banded Stakeout Primal Don! These two alongside with a Mega Mewtwo Y make a fearsome Nuclear Army capable of destroying many teams out there.
As a curiosity, what made me think about making a team around these wallbreakers was, by playing Anything Goes, watching the amazing power that Choice Band Mega Rayquaza has with his Dragon Ascent+V-create set. For those who play AG know that a team unprepared for this set is a bad team for sure. I wanted to bring a bit of this power to BH, but i figured that the meta is too physically bulky with Zygardes, Giratinas, and a lot of other Fur Coat users and I already had Primal Don to hit physically hard. So i thought "Why not bring Ray's power with a special sided set? Like the Gen 6 specs Ray." This way, Rayquaza acts like an excellent special sided wallbreaker, breaking lots of more than common walls in the metagame like Audino (usually Unaware or FC), Giratina, Zygarde, Xerneas, etc. Now with all 252 EV allowed the wallbreaking task is a lot difficult, but still very underrated, and if very well supported with a team that can bring the proper pokemon against the proper victim with U-turn, can really work amazingly!
Without further ado, let's take a look around the team, shall we?

Team Preview:

Team Analysis:

A Quazary Ray (Rayquaza-Mega) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Fusion Flare
- Sunsteel Strike
- Ice Beam

"A Quazary Ray", "A Murdery Ray", "A Nuclear Ray"...well whatever. All these nicknames fit preety well this set. One of the 2 wallbreakers of the team, and the main reason this team was built. Behold the true power under the form of a Pokémon. Choice Specs Mega Ray was, and still is, one of the most threatning sets in Balanced Hackmons. 180 base of Special Attack alongside a Modest nature, Choice Specs and STAB Boomburst is all what you need to start destroying with brutal force. This thing hits amazing 756 Special Attack! It is able to KO a lot of Pokemon in the game while 2KOing the other half. Its STAB Boomburst boosted by Specs OHKO's walls like Mega Audino, Ferrothorn, Mega Slowbro (pokemons that can wall my Groudon), OHKO's sweeping threats like Primal Groudon and Xerneas (OHKO on both) and hits really hard, 2KOing, pokemons like Imposter Chansey and Primal Kyogre, Giratina (a problem to Don as well).
Boomburst is the main STAB and the usual click choice 90% of the time. Fusion Flare is the Steel-type coverage in order to beat them in a OHKO or 2 KO them (depends on their life on the during the game and rocks) and is chosen instead of Blue Flare or Searing Shot due to Accuracy and Burn problems caused by imposters, respectively. However they can be options for the set. Sunsteel Strike is here to help to keep Shedinjas out of my sight, since they can be a common switch in front of Ray (specially if the oponnent realizes it is specs) and, with a bit of predict, we can surprise and deal with them easilly. Ice beam is here to random coverage and to make sure (Soundproof) Zygarde doesn't mess up with your destuctive plans, hitting Giratina hard as well.
Here are some Destructive calcs, that should serve to ban this set that show the wallbreaking capabilities of Rayquaza:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Audino-Mega: 388-457 (94.6 - 111.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Groudon-Primal: 445-525 (110.1 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Xerneas: 462-544 (101.3 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 375-442 (106.5 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Giratina: 402-474 (79.7 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 156-183 (48.1 - 56.4%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Yveltal: 421-496 (92.3 - 108.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Rayquaza-Mega Fusion Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 248-292 (68.1 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Rayquaza-Mega Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde-Complete: 616-728 (96.8 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde-Complete: 430-507 (67.6 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Omega The Primal (Groudon-Primal) @ Choice Band
Ability: Stakeout
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Earthquake
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
or:

Omega The Primal (Groudon-Primal) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Earthquake
- Bonemerang
- U-turn

Here it is the second nuclear weapon of the team, on the physical side, in order to deal with walls that Ray can't, like Ray does to walls that Don can't beat. The main role of the set is to abuse the power of V-create+Stakeout, an ability that should be banned and the power of this set shows this. The set that is used on the team depends if you want full destructive power with Choice Band and Bolt Strike for coverage or if you want to surprise and outspeed fast threats like MMY, MMX, Mega Gengar, other Rayquazas, Diancies, Kyurems etc, and then we use the second set with Choice Scarf. Personally I use the Choice Scarf set more because it makes me more confident by having more speed.
V-create is your choice 80% of the times (if you aren't predicting a Zygarde switch, then you use U-turn to bring Ray and pressure the opponent) due to its amazing power boosted by STAB and with Scarf you can kill those mentioned faster threats with this overpowered move and damage hard other pokémon like Kyogre, Giratina, Slowbro or Zygarde on switch due to Stakeout. Earthquake is a pretty reliable move with STAB, 100 power and accuracy and can be used on Giratinas/Zygardes switch predicts or when you don't want to lose defenses because of V-create use. Bonemerang is a choice to break some Focus Sash users like MMY. U-turn is for pivoting, besides attacking MMY strongly, usually used when you face anything that Don can't kill because the opponent swicthed and you predicted it (Tina, Zygarde, Slowbro) and bring Ray to deal with it or force a switch.
Here are some nice calcs that show how broken powerful this Groudon can be:
Please see that making calcs with Stakeout is the same as +2 Attack on the damage calculator.

-Calcs with Stakeout not activated, means regular damage/usage. Even without Band or Desolate Land, is still a very powerful pokémon:
252+ Atk Choice Band Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino-Mega: 379-447 (92.4 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO (non Stakeout)
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mewtwo-Mega-Y: 408-480 (98 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO (non Stakeout, thats why you can catch many MMY offguard with the Scarf set)
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 25 HP / 252 Def Xerneas: 337-397 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-Stakeout Calcs:
+2 252+ Atk Choice Band Groudon-Primal Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 436-514 (86.5 - 101.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (Banded Stakeout!)
+2 252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino-Mega: 504-594 (122.9 - 144.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Scarf Stakeout, not even Band!)
+2 252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Audino-Mega: 253-298 (61.7 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 349-412 (69.2 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Scarf Stakeout, vs a classic Poison Heal Tina)
+2 252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde: 288-340 (68.5 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Choice Band Groudon-Primal Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Zygarde-Complete: 217-256 (34.1 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (this shows how good is our Zygarde to imposterproof this monster, since the opponent is not band, so even less damage)

Regi The Iron (Registeel) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Defog
- U-turn
- Shore Up
- Haze

The third member of the team, Registeel. Well, the gif itself shows part of the Registeel Role on the team. With its Flash Fire ability it completely imposterproofs my Rayquaza, forcing imposter switches and acting like an excellent pivot to bring my other Pokémon to the field. It can be a good check against Contrary users like MMY, Kyurem-W that like to abuse Psycho Boost+Overheat and then it can pivot to bring Scarf Groudon to face them. With its great typing, Steel, and able to resist Psychic, an excellent offensive type actually, Registeel acts as a safe Hazard Removal, by resisting Stealth Rock and being imune to Toxic Spikes and as a set up cleaner with Haze against some sweepers that rely on STAB Fairy or Flying+Fire move, like Diancie and Rayquaza. This Deffoger role is extremely important, since the base synergy of this team relies on U-turning as much as possible to bring Ray, Don or MMY to beat the appropriate opponent pokémon.
U-turn is for pivoting, with no EV on speed and a decreasing nature which causes Regi to be as slow as possible to almost always bring a safe switch. Shore Up is for recovery and has the particular niche to heal more on Sandstorm, a common weather when facing some Tyranitars.

Omega The Primal (Groudon-Primal) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Desolate Land
Sassy Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Slack Off
- U-turn
- Diamond Storm/Stealth Rock

The second Groudon of the team, with a more discreet set from the first one, but not less useful. This is a more defensive Groudon that is on this team mainly to stop its rival, Primal Kyogre, from obliterating the opposing teams. This groudon stops any Poison Heal Kyogre that doesn't carry Earth Power (which is rare) since they usually run the fearsome Spore+Water+Fairy combo thanks to Googles+Fire+Desolate Land. Secondly it acts like a good non Ground coverage Diancie check (alongside with Registeel) forcing many switches (which allows pivoting with U-turn), and acts like a second Steel type cleaner, since this Groudon enjoys a lot to distribute Desolate Land boosted Sacred Fires, always expecting for a good damage and burns.
Sacred Fire is a move that hits hard under the Sun, even this is not a 100% offensive Don, Slack Off ensures its durability on the match, U-turn to be used on the right moments for pivoting and damaging Kyogres, Gyarados or MMY, and Diamond Storm is my option to face random Ho-Ohs and other flying/ice types that can appear, however Stealth Rock can be used if your style is more hazard play. For extreme Flash Fire Celesteela coverage you can even run Bolt Strike. If you notice, the Flash Fire Registeel can't be touched by this Don, so if any imposter copies it you can Defog/U-turn safely.

Zyga The Complete (Zygarde-Complete) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Fur Coat
Sassy Nature
- Core Enforcer
- Spectral Thief
- U-turn
- Shore Up

Zyga, The Complete, the fifth member of the team. With its ridiculously high HP and insane bulk this Fur Coat Zygarde is the answer to any Physical threat to the team, be it called Mega Mewtwo X, Poison Heal Regigigas, Pheromosa, Primal Groudon (including both of our Dons, because this Zygarde imposterproofs them) Contrary Physical Ray, Power Trip Shell Smash Yveltal/Gyarados, etc. And, as important as all of this, Fur Coat makes MMY's Psychic Surge Psystrike act like tickles to Zygarde, however it fears MMY Ice Beam.
Core Enforcer helps dealing with Poison Healers, like Regigigas, Zygarde or non Ice Beam Kyogre, by crippling their ability and it is always a base 100 STAB move which makes always any good damage. Spectral Thief is to deal with those set up sweeprs or Contrary Rays/Groudons/MMX with Dragon Ascent+Superpower+Vcreate, as well as Shell Smashers, since they're everywhere on this generation. U-turn brings momentum/pivoting and Shore Up is the obvious recovery move.

Y so serious? (Mewtwo-Mega-Y) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Moongeist Beam
- U-turn
- Switcheroo

Mega Mewtwo Y, the little genius. The last, but not the lest, member of the Nuclear Army. A less Nuclear than Rayquaza or Groudon, but still Nuclear enough to its Psystrike boosted by Psychic Surge hit like a truck. With Choice Scarf this MMY reaches 624 Speed and oustpeeds the entire metagame including Deoxys-S, Deoxys-A, Pheromosa Aerodactyls, other MMYs, and common Scarf users like Groudon and Diancie, which is awesome, in order to beat these pokémon when they're weakned. Almost no one expect a Scarf MMY (due to its high speed) and this can act as a great cirurgic killer. Psystrike is its main STAB, boosted by Psychic Terrain to deal amounts of damage on the opponents, making MMY have some wallbreaking capabilities as well. Moongiest Beam is for coverage, hitting other psychic types supereffectively and ignoring other's abilities what is nice to deal with Shedinjas. U-turn is for pivoting and is always a good option VS Deoxys-S leads, that will try to spore you and you switch to Zygarde. Last move and probably one of the more useful, is Switcheroo, that can cripple anything you find threatning, like a Poison Healer, a non boosted Spooky Plate Mega Gengar (try to predict an Entrainemnt, like I did on my replay VS jrm115) or even a wall, turning them harmelss.
Nice calcs:
252 SpA Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre in Psychic Terrain: 282-333 (69.8 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino-Mega in Psychic Terrain: 204-240 (49.7 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Rayquaza in Psychic Terrain: 282-333 (68.4 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mewtwo-Mega-Y Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina in Psychic Terrain: 211-249 (41.8 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Known/Possible Threats:
Well, in this Generation with all kinds of OP stuff it brought (Dazzling/QM, Psychic Surge, Core Enforcer/ Power Trip, Stakeout, etc) is near impossible to cover all threats in one team. This team is no exception. Despite all the offensive power provided by Ray, Don and MMY and a good defensive core this team struggles against Zygarde sometimes, and has a little difficulty to deal with Hyper Offense spam like 6 MMY, Shell Smash coverage Don/Diancie or something. Hazards can be quite dangerous, specially Stealth Rock, if not removed from the field, because Don and, specially, Ray suffer from it. The worst loss this team had was against a Shell Smash Groudon with Thousand Arrows+Ice Beam (whats not too much common, I only saw that time), that surprisingly hits all my team supereffectively.

Some Nice Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-552317178 a 6-0 vs Lance, simply one of best BH players ever

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-600826241 5-1 vs jrm115, a good player, in a tour match

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-600225288 vs Duckymomo Senior (usually on top 10 ladder with many accounts)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmonssuspecttest-601096276 vs ScarfWynaut (a mod and a good BH player)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmonssuspecttest-601095374 vs Watatata

Importable:

Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Fusion Flare
- Sunsteel Strike
- Ice Beam

Omega The Primal (Groudon-Primal) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Earthquake
- Bonemerang
- U-turn

Regi The Iron (Registeel) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
Sassy Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Shore Up
- Haze

Sassy Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Slack Off
- U-turn
- Diamond Storm

Sassy Nature
- Core Enforcer
- Spectral Thief
- U-turn
- Shore Up

Y so serious? (Mewtwo-Mega-Y) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Moongeist Beam
- U-turn
- Switcheroo

Conclusion:
I hope everyone enjoyed reading this RMT, I think I could make a quite enjoyable and strong team to use, respecting what I wanted to bring since the beginning, with an amazing offensive potential that makes the wallbreaking ability great again on these days of Gen 7 full 252 bulky meta (or at least it tries :P).
I really hope to see this team on the ladder and any doubts and suggestions to make it better, just reply, they are always welcomed :)

Everyone, thanks for reading ^-^

Last edited:
The team is totally trashed by SS Don with ice beam. But on a more realistic note, it's a really good team. However, I can see it having issues with setup mons in general. If you're a good player, you can keep the pressure and ensure setups don't happen that often, but in case it does happen, your team is done for ( need I remind you of Ransei's don). You could change zygod to an unaware set or swap out reg don for a prankster poke, the mon depends on what you want. You could have an offensive prankster gar or just troll around with double registeel. TBH Sodass and I had already built a counter team for this for the tourney. Unfortunately couldn't use it xP.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
One. by. One.

Modest Nature
- Boomburst
-
Fusion Flare Blue Flare
-
Sunsteel Strike Moongeist Beam
-
Ice Beam Techno Blast

Modest Nature makes rolls a lot different when facing walls, and I get that. But I don't see the reason you are running Ice Beam, when both Giratina and Zygarde-C are hurt a lot by Boomburst. Perhaps you want Imposter to die so bad? Well, I will just assume you are preparing for Soundproof walls, and in that case, I will suggest you to replace Ice Beam to Techno Blast. Trust me, carrying both isn't always bad. Also, I understand how you decided to pack Sunsteel Strike to check Sturdy Shedinja while letting your Flare Fire Registeel reliably wall your own Mega Rayquaza, but you can carry Moongeist Beam which still lets Registeel wall Rayquaza reliably:

252+ SpA Rayquaza-Mega Moongeist Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 83-98 (22.8 - 26.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

... while it grants equivalent chance to remove AV Solgaleo:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Rayquaza-Mega Moongeist Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Solgaleo: 238-282 (49.8 - 59.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

Also, I will say running Blue Flare grants significantly better power that is capable of doing this:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Rayquaza-Mega Blue Flare vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Solgaleo: 340-400 (71.2 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Rayquaza-Mega Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 322-380 (88.4 - 104.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO (68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock)
I know you are similar to me to some extent; you always said "May the RNG be with you!" in BHUL you hosted. Yes, Blue Flare misses sometimes, but higher chance to kill Solgaleo and burn chance is so sweet, and higher chance to kill opposing Registeel means there is no chance for Registeel to use that pesky Prankster Destiny Bond or whatsoever, if it took a high roll damage on switch. Lastly, your Mega Ray set is very prediction-reliant; although Boomburst is spammable, you won't want Steel-types to switch in every time and take away your momentum.

Omega The Primal (Groudon-Primal) @ Choice Scarf Chill Drive
Adamant Naughty/ Naive Nature
- V-create
-
Earthquake Thousand Arrows / Precipice Blades
-
Bonemerang Techno Blast
- U-turn / Bolt Strike

When will this shit get banned Sadly, your current set will have to pivot against Fur Coat Giratina all the time, in the meta almost every competitive team prepares V-create spam from this mole. Therefore, I have the set fixed above into my own Stakeout set, which you can Imposterproof quite simply. If you are running Bolt Strike on this, feel free to ditch Thousand Arrows and run Precipice Blades because it will deal with Primordial Sea Celetsteela or other stuff anyway. Here is a wall of calcs that demonstrate the power of this set:

+2 252 SpA Groudon-Primal Techno Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Giratina: 406-478 (80.5 - 94.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Groudon-Primal Techno Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 952-1120 (149.6 - 176.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Kyogre-Primal: 306-362 (75.7 - 89.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados-Mega: 540-636 (137 - 161.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I am not going to mention what happens to those poor souls who take +2 V-create neutrally.

As mentioned, since this is the improofing wall for your own Mega Rayquaza, I won't comment on it. Good luck dealing with PH Kyogre, however. I will talk more about that below.

Sassy Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Slack Off
- U-turn
-
Diamond Storm / Core Enforcer / Spectral Thief / Stealth Rock (The Giratina set I mentioned below has it)

I am not sure what is your purpose of having this Pdon in your team; Pixilate Diancie's most popular coverage move is V-create because of the high roll that KO's Solgaleo after Pixie Plate Boomburst, but your Flash Fire Registeel will handle it very easily, even the Magic Guard variants. I guess this is your check for PH mostly (as you mentioned), so I would say run something like Core Enforcer or Spectral Thief, so opposing Kyogre won't boost to +6 and manage to break your Groudon with +6 Ice Beam or whatever the other move it has. Nothing harasses Giratina and Zygarde-C more than Core Enforcer, and Spectral Thief keeps Pdon from letting stuff like MMY setting up. Good thing this guy can force out Magic Bounce Audino or Magic Bounce Registeel to set up hazards, at least.

->

Sassy Nature
- Core Enforcer
- Spectral Thief
- U-turn
- Shore Up

To

Giratina @ Darkinium Z
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Parting Shot
- Core Enforcer
- Stealth Rock
- Shore Up / Strength Sap

If you are going to change your Stakeout Primal Groudon set to what I suggested (which I strongly recommend you to do), you will have to switch to Giratina which is immune to regular Techno Blast which Imposter will fire after transforming into your own Groudon. Also, Giratina doesn't have x4 weakness so it won't struggle to opposing Primal Groudon's Choice Band Stakeout Ice Hammer which your Zygarde-C struggles with after taking prior damage. Also, blocking Rapid Spin is really a nice niche. If you are wondering why Safety Goggles is gone, and why has it been replaced with Darkinium Z, it is in order to:

1) Take minimal damage from PH Regigigas' Knock Off which will remove your goggles and put you to sleep anyway,
2) Healing your Mega Rayquaza or other Groudon if any of them are important wincon and are dangerously low health,
3) Block Trick or Switcheroo which will otherwise make Giratina useless for the rest of the match.

Core Enforcer lets Giratina check PH Regigigas lacking Avalanche and PH Kyogre in emergency. Strength Sap lets it shut down Belly Drum Pdon because it lives +6 Sunsteel Strike and you can just spam Strength Sap until its Attack is lowered to the degree where your Giratina can handle it. Hoewever, considering the prevalence of Magic Bounce Audino these days, I would say regular recovery is much better.

Nice surprise factor... carry Psycho Boost so you can actually OHKO opposing Primal Groudon.

Conclusion

I have to point out couple systemic errors in your team. First of all, your team will have VERY hard time dealing with setup. Meaning, you will need at least a bulky AV regenvest pivot (Solgaleo, Gyarados, etc) or Prankster Registeel to deal with them. At this point, I will suggest you to remove Desolate Land Pdon and replace it with Prankster user which can deal with Shell Smash + Power Trip spams, or a reliable Unaware user such as Mega Gyarados or Yveltal.

Anyways, I will stop bothering you for now. It looks like a decent team, and I believe that you can utilize your skill to keep improving with any teams. Good luck!​

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
hi! got a couple suggestions for you

if there's anything wrong with this team, it's the fact that the breakers are overly standard. like your choice band pdon set fails to break fur coat giratina, which is seen on many teams because it is needed to check the common cb lens pdon. additionally, most teams will have a steel type or soundproof user to switch in on specs ray.

my first suggested change is to change a couple moves on ray, specifically fusion flare to searing shot/blue flare and ice beam to u-turn. you said that you decided to use fusion flare so that imposters are unable to burn your mons, but your imposter proofing is ff registeel, which can't be burned (or even touched, for that matter) by other fire type moves.

on to u-turn. ray risks mispredicting steel type switchins and giving your opponent free momentum. u-turn is a much safer option than blue flare in the event that you think the opponent might switch to a steel type, but you're not sure, i say "safe" because it keeps ray out of danger if say your opponent's giratina decides to stay in and go for core enforcer. additionally, u-turn is very nice for maintaining momentum: if your opponent switches to a steel type, u-turn allows you to bring in pdon for free. baton pass is another option to consider; in fact i think it would work better than u-turn. this is because with baton pass, imposter is unable to actually wear down your registeel so you can freely switch it in.

on to pdon. band stakeout is a cool idea, but unfortunately this set doesn't accomplish anything that band lens sets fail to do (bar breaking through random fur coat users like arceus). anyway i think rng's got you covered, but if you want, here's a different approach:

slug (Groudon-Primal) @ Choice Band
Lonely Nature
- V-Create
- Diamond Storm
- Fleur Cannon
- Horn Leech

looks kinda dumb so let me explain. this set aims to abuse the power of banded pdon combined with the preventing of switches associated with stakeout. you know what v create does. diamond storm tears apart celesteela on the switch, the ff steela + stakeout pdon core is getting more common on the ladder and it's nice to have a way to smack it. it might look like a weird choice of moves but we'll get to that later. cb fleur cannon is dumb but it's necessary to deal as much damage as possible to fc fat dragons. horn leech is also dumb but it provides much needed recovery as well as a way around fc ogre.

+2 252+ Atk Choice Band Groudon-Primal Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Kyogre-Primal: 266-314 (65.8 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Groudon-Primal Fleur Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Giratina: 440-518 (87.3 - 102.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
if regen vest: +2 252+ Atk Choice Band Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Giratina: 430-507 (85.3 - 100.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Choice Band Groudon-Primal Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Celesteela: 355-418 (89.1 - 105%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

so what does this set do for your team? basically it is imposter proofed by your ff registeel (which was also the reason it couldn't run bolt strike for steela instead btw).

+2 252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Registeel: 90-107 (24.7 - 29.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock

this allows you to replace zyg with something else if you want. my suggestion is to change haze on registeel to entrainment/skill swap and replace zygarde with imposter chansey. imposter grants you a switchin to many threats, such as mmx and opposing pdon, and also improves your team's matchup against contrary users like mega sceptile. entrainment/skill swap on regi gives the team a way around poison heal users (particularly fairy types). however, zyg fits the team well so keeping it might work as well.

next up: change slack off on the defensive pdon to synthesis. this one shouldn't need much explanation, synthesis simply grants more recovery.

although i'm not 100% certain, i think that defensive pdon might not be the best fit for this team. the ground weakness it stacks with regi can be detrimental at times.

scarf mmy is a cool idea, outspeeding pdon after drum is a very nice trait. a good set for sure

anyway that's all i got. hope the suggestions were helpful o/

Anyways, I will stop bothering you for now. It looks like a decent team, and I believe that you can utilize your skill to keep improving with any teams. Good luck!​
Thank you RNGIsFatal for smashing my team one by one and making me see that i really lost my ability to teambuild (just kidding, i rly liked your analysis) for spending your time on making a one by one analysis of every pokemon of the team, really appreciated it ^-^
I'll consider some of your suggestions, like the Ray's moveset (tho i'll not use Blue Flare), the Giratina inclusion and I'll adapt that Groudon set with the Chill Drive, i liked the idea :)

you always said "May the RNG be with you!" in BHUL you hosted​
Yeah, let's say that RNG is fatal to me -.-
And for that reason I still prefer to use Fusion Flare/Searing Shot. 100 power, 100 accuracy. Simple as that. Powerful, no miss, no hax. Just the way I like it.
Nice to know that someone reads all the post in its extension :)

I believe that you can utilize your skill to keep improving with any teams. Good luck!​
I have believed more in my skill tbh -.- Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Silver_Lucario42 thank you for your review on my team :)
and I will take some of your ideas as well xD

my first suggested change is to change a couple moves on ray, specifically fusion flare to searing shot/blue flare and ice beam to u-turn.
I might change to Searing shot. Blue flare NO, god please no! It has 85% chance of hitting missing!

slug (Groudon-Primal) @ Choice Band
Lonely Nature
- V-Create
- Diamond Storm
- Fleur Cannon
- Horn Leech

looks kinda dumb so let me explain.
Looks kinda dumb but looks nice too. Well, I'll make a variation of the team with this set to test it xD Hard to imposterproof tho.

next up: change slack off on the defensive pdon to synthesis. this one shouldn't need much explanation, synthesis simply grants more recovery.
Good point. I'm really dumb, since I forgot this move :P

scarf mmy is a cool idea, outspeeding pdon after drum is a very nice trait. a good set for sure
Indeed it is :) no one expects it. Acts like a nice lead sometimes as well.

I had other team in mind to face sodass tho :P

you don't, because I mentioned it on my post xD

Lol, maybe. However, your issues with set up still remains. Seeing as your deso-don is a bit redundant why not switch it to prank regi and FF Aegi? Prankster Regi beats all those stored power/ power trip mons that potentially destroy this team. Aegi deals with contrary mons too, since they are ususally packing superpower also and this actually validates your use of Sunsteel Strike over Moongeist Beam as your answer to shed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)