SM OU The Triple S Threat

Hello, I'm showcasing a team that Ske, Srn, and myself built in the OU room. Iirc, it was Srn who didn't really have any Mega Diancie squads, so Ske, Srn, and I started working on it. It was mostly them 2, but I helped a little and they both let me do this RMT, so here I am. Anyways, here's the team:

(click sprites for importable)

Introduction and teambuilding process:

Basically, Srn wanted to build Diancie spikes. So we started out with:

This was the team's original form. We paired Diancie with Magnezone to deal with things Diancie hates with spike support from scarf spikes protean Greninja. We then added SpDef Tran to handle Lele a little better as well as deal with grasses. Next was Tangrowth as part of our defensive backbone and a check to Gren/Lando/Chomp. Finally, we rounded off the team with Gliscor, as it checked Heatran, Landorus, and provided the crucial defog support we needed. However, after talking about it, we decided it was way too weak to Reuniclus and started from scratch. This is where the current team formed.

We once again started with Diancie. One of our premier wall breakers and originally what Srn wanted to build around, Diancie provides a reliable way to deal with Mega Sableye, as well as pressuring common OU staples such as Heatran, Volcarona, and Tornadus Therian.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Diamond Storm threatens Volcarona, Tornadus, Zapdos, and many other OU flying and fire types. Moonblast is our secondary STAB attack that threatens Dark and Dragon types such as Kyurem Black, Tyranitar, Mega Sableye, Garchomp, etc. Protect lets us scout out possible choice scarfed Landorus, catch a failed prediction, or rack up Toxic turns on the opposing 'mon. Finally, Hidden Power Fire lets us pressure Kartana, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor by nailing them on the switch.

Next, we wanted spike support from the likes of Ash-Greninja.

As previously mentioned, Ash Greninja provides spikes support for the team. It also threatens a plethora of pokemon Diancie cannot deal with, such as Jirachi or Excadrill. Greninja is also part of our speed control of the team, as it is one of the fastest pokemon in the tier and has priority just in case. In return, Diancie can pressure Tangrowth to an extent, leaving room for Greninja to click hydro pump freely.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Hydro Pump is Greninja's strongest viable STAB attack it can dish out, and when coupled with choice specs, can do massive loads of damage to anything that doesn't resist it as long as it isn't named Assault Vest Magearna. Dark Pulse is Greninja's secondary STAB attack, smacking the likes of Tangrowth, Rotom Wash, Toxapex, and other water resistant or dark weak pokemon. Water Shuriken is a multi-hit priority move that allows Ash-Greninja to function as a solid revenge killer. Spikes helps it's teammates wear down the opponent's team throughout the match.

After our main offensive core, we need a way to handle Grasses and a way to deal with Hazards. So we put Tornadus-Therian in this spot.

Tornadus is our Defogger of choice, also acting as another key part of our speed control and one of our pivots, outpacing threats like Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Landorus Therian. It also acts as a check to these pokemon, bar watching out for a stray stone edge from Bulu/Lando. It is also the team's premier stallbreaker, matching up very well vs threats such as Quagsire, Chansey, and Clefable.

Tornadus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Taunt

U-turn allows us to scout while also activating Tornadus' Regenerator, giving us back more HP. Hurricane is our STAB attack, which can be powered into a hard-hitting Supersonic Skystrike, denting anything that isnt weak to it/not assault vest. Defog removes hazards from the field, overall increasing the team's longevity. Taunt allows us to shutdown other defog attempts, healing, wishpassing, or status, and helps us improve the stall matchup. Our next pick is older, but is still pretty solid.

Gastrodon is one of the electric answers and our main Ash-Greninja answer on the team, forming a nice defensive core with Tornadus. Storm Drain allows us to be water immune, which is really handy on this squad considering our other only water resists is a Greninja. Gastro also lets us drain momentum from the opponents, as it blocks volt switch.

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover

The speed allows us to creep Reuniclus and anything else trying to creep Toxapex. Toxic allows us to cripple sweepers such as Zard X, Landorus, Garchomp, Mega Latias, etc. Scald allows us to potentially burn toxic immune pokemon such as Kartana, Mawile, etc. Earthquake allows us to smite Heatran if need be and lets us deal good damage to Ash Greninja. Finally, Recover lets us consistently come in on what we need to and keeps us healthy during the match. Next, we needed a Lele check, a secondary Grass answer, and Stealth Rocks.

Specially Defensive Heatran provided these qualities quite well. It also checks Mega Mawile, Charizard Y and Non-Earthquake Charizard X, etc. Heatran also gave us a well needed Alakzam answer, as well as providing the needed Stealth Rocks as mentioned above. It also gave us a well needed Flying resist.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

This spread is a little different from standard Spdef Heatran. The speed lets us creep Mega Mawile Creeper Creepers. Petty, I know. The rest of the EVs are in Spdef and HP. Toxic lets us pressure things on the switch, such as Zard X, Gyarados, Landorus, Rotom Wash, etc. Lava Plume is a spammable STAB with 30% burn chance, which can cripple physical attackers. Stealth rocks are the prime entry hazard, causing anything to take chip damage. Protect allows Heatran to obtain more leftovers recovery and scout for coverage. The last pick on this team is a little unorthodox, but it fits quite well and was added thanks to Ske and Srn. I had no part in adding it to the team.

Mamoswine also provides more speed control with Ice Shard, and also functions as a Electric immunity and Wallbreaker. Ice/Ground is very scary type combination to fatter builds, as most teams do not prepare for Mamoswine. It also just softens the opposing team in the end for Diancie and Greninja and also scares out Grasses and can Ice Shard through Landorus and Garchomp.

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Icicle Crash hits like a truck coupled with Choice Band, hitting everything that doesn't resist it (i've said that so many times but it's true) for solid amounts of damage. It even has a 74% chance to 2HKO Celetsteela without rocks and Straight 2HKOs it with Rocks on the field. Earthquake complements Icicle Crash very nicely, hitting everything else that Icicle Crash doesn't, such as Heatran and Ferrothorn for solid damage. Ice Shard allows Mamoswine to somewhat act as a revenge killer, picking off weakened threats such as Landorus Therian, Gliscor, Dragonite (may not be worth mentioning but who cares), and Garchomp. Knock Off hits Rotom Wash and other item-dependent pokemon for considerable damage while also removing their items, which really screws over mons like Celesteela and Rotom Wash. Other than what I've said, I don't really know what else this thing does for the team, so ask Ske and or Srn about this pick.

Threatlist:
Azumarill: This isn't common enough to be listed but I legit keep running into it so its on here. If it belly-drums turn 1, its over. There is no real way to fix this imo and you lose to it no matter what.

Mega Lopunny: This one is a little bit more manageable if you play your cards right with Protect+Priority. It is still very annoying however.

Toxic Spikes: If you aren't able to defog them away before they force something like Gastro in, Tspikes will be a real pain to deal with. However, they are preventable with Torn taunting/defogging and Diancie's Magic Bounce.

Replays:

These replays are collected by Me and Srn, and I will add a few from Ske when I get some:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-860579133
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-860208896
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-860203998

Yes I know these are more low ladder, When I get Ske's replays, those will probably be more high ladder.

Final Thoughts:

In summary, this was a little fun team that the 3 of us built in like 10 minutes. Feel free to make changes as long as they aren't telling us our team is weak to Thunder Analytic Starmie or something like that. Hope you all enjoy!

Special thanks to TPP and Curiosity for helping me with sprite hunting

Last edited:
Man I love using mamo. Great team! Personally I would switch out choice band on mami for life orb but that's just my personal preference

Man I love using mamo. Great team! Personally I would switch out choice band on mami for life orb but that's just my personal preference
Choice Band is better here imo simply because LO wears mamo down to fast for me at least. Thanks for your feedback, and as far as mamo's item is concerned, its honestly up to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)