Board Game Based Meta-Games

A: Alakazam (mega and not), amoonguss, Azumarill, (suicide leads: aerodactyl & archeops)
B:barbaracle (shell smash sweeper), beedrill-mega, blissey, blacephalon, breloom, buzzwole
E: Excadrill, Alolan Exeggutor (sorta in tr, probably not worth choosing very niche)
I: Infernape
O:Couple suicide leads sorta, dont use tho
Z:Zapdos
Y: none
X: Xatu, but esp xurkitree
W: weavile
U:umbreon & suicide lead uxie
T (best letter lol): All tapus, tangrowth, thundurus (therian and not), tornadus-t, toxapex, ttar, ttar mega
no
you didnt even finish all the letters
or build like normal in OU, hope that it spells a word, and fuck with it until it does if it doesn't.
no
Also, I propose a new scrabblemons format. 6v6, bring a team that fits by the regular rules, no fancy shit like random words.
no

Scrabblemons is a specific tier at the beginning of the tournament or challenge. The viability rankings would have to fall under each tier (AG, Ubers, OU, UU, RU, NU), since every mon would have a different "role". It also depends on what word you and your opponent have to build off of. It would take some time, for sure, to make a VR for Scrabblemons because of what mons can check/counter. For shits and giggles, let's say the only mon Mega Sharpedo could defend against in all of OU/UU/RU/NU was Gliscor. Now let's say Gliscor is the Lando-T of Scrabblemons. If the tier is UU, then the only mon Mega Sharpedo counters is banned. Now Mega Sharpedo has no use, and therefore could be a F rank in UU and B rank in OU.

that probably didnt make a lot of sense but whatever

Gen 8 Board Game-Based Metagames Update!

With Gen 8 come some slight changes to Chessmons and Scrabblemons. Mostly they are the same metagames you know and love from Gen 7, with some slight changes.

1. Chessmons will be played in the Gen 8 Ubers format. Dynamaxing is illegal in Chessmons.
2. Scrabblemons will be played in the Gen 8 Nat Dex OU format. This way we retain the largest number of Pokémon to be used for each letter!

Without any further ado, here are the official rulesets for each metagame:
Your team must consist of the following:

1. a King (a legal pseudo-legendary Pokémon, so either Tyranitar, Hydreigon, Goodra, Kommo-o, Dragapult, Salamence, Metagross, Dragonite, or Garchomp)

2. a Queen (a legal* Ubers (or below) mon. Calyrex-S is banned.)

3. a Rook (a legal* OU (or below) mon.)

4. a Bishop (a legal* UU (or below) mon.)

5. a Pawn (a legal* Little Cup mon, excluding LC Ubers.) The pawn may be level 100

6. a Knight (The final stage of your Pawn. For example, if Riolu is the Pawn, then Lucario is the Knight). Additionally, Knights have to be legal in the OU tier.

Your Pokemon is legal if its move set and ability is allowed in the respected tier. (eg Arena Trap is allowed on a Pawn, but not a Knight). The exception is that Pawns are allowed to be level 100.

Gameplay Rules:
1. The winner is the first person to knock out the opponent's King.
2. Only the Queen may be Ubers-tier.
3. Pokémon must have nicknames matching their roles (name your King "King", etc.).
4. Standard Smogon clauses minus certain exceptions for STAG on Uber Pokémon apply.

To challenge an opponent, select their username and challenge them using the "Gen 8 Uber" tier.

Point of Clarification: Wobbuffet cannot be used as a Knight if it has STAG, but Wynaut can be used with STAG as a Pawn because STAG is allowed in LC.
Scrabblemons Guide
In Scrabblemons, every Pokemon on your team must be ordered in a way such that it spells out a legal Scrabble word.; for example: If your word is SPOOKY, your team could contain Sableye, Pinsir, Octillery, and Omastar, Kyurem, and Yanmega. Scrabblemons battles should be played with OU tiering and standard OU rules unless otherwise specified.

Scrabblemon Formats:

1v1

In a 1v1 format, the rules are the same as standard. However, the letters of the word need only be 3 letters long (as 1v1 only lets the player use 3 Pokemon). The player spells the 3 letter word with their Pokemon and picks one of the Pokemon to battle.
Scrabblemons Roulette
In the Roulette format, you still use a 2-6 letter word. To spice things up a bit, you are also given random Pokemon for each letter, provided by the host of the tournament. You may not choose your own Pokemon in this variation of Scrabblemons, you must use the Pokemon given by the host. The host may also decide to give players another random set of Pokemon for each round but is not required to do so.

To challenge an opponent, select their username and challenge them using the "Gen 8 National Dex OU" tier.

Last edited:
We don't have ladders, so right now you can play Chessmons by challenging someone to Gen 8 Ubers or Scrabblemons by challenging to Gen 8 Nat Dex OU. There's no special team validation so please bring legal teams!

In the next couple days I'm hoping to have Scrabblemons and Chessmons tournaments in the Board Games room on Pokemon Showdown!

Decided to post my first Chessmons team.
:ss/tyranitar::ss/zacian::ss/corviknight::ss/gastrodon::ss/volcarona::ss/larvesta:
King (Tyranitar) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

Queen (Zacian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intrepid Sword
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Rook (Corviknight) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Clear Smog

Knight (Volcarona) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

Pawn (Larvesta) @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Toxic

This is a version of a team I made before with a Dreepy-Dragapult pawn-knight combo, but it didn't work since Dreepy is really bad, so I replaced it with Larvesta-Volcarona which is one of the best pawn-knight combos imo. QD Volcarona is everything you'd expect but Eviolite Larvesta can easily switch into Zacian and is a very sturdy Fairy resist, which provides a lot of support. Corviknight beats Sand, by virtue of its typing, and Body Press devastates Sand teams. It's also the main Fairy resist and can Defog for Larvesta. Tyranitar was chosen as the king because it was a Dark-type, and I had no Ghost resist at the time so I was weak to Dragapult. Zacian is the best queen hands down, because every king is weak to Fairy, so STAB Play Rough mows them down. Choice Scarf was chosen to beat other Choice Scarf users, and Dragapult. If the opponent is using Dragapult as their king, getting a surprise kill wins the game, so it's very important. The bishop slot was difficult to figure out, but I went with Gastrodon since it has Water Absorb for Dracovish, Clear Smog for setup, and Earth Power to 2HKO Toxapex. It was also a special wall, which I didn't have yet.

in the board games discord, there's been a little chessmons tour going on. i've built a bunch for it, and seeing as how it's crown tundra meta, i thought i'd dump all my old isle of armor teams. they all saw use in the tour, except for the team i posted above.

:tyranitar::zacian::corviknight::gastrodon::larvesta::volcarona:
King (Tyranitar) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

Queen (Zacian) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Rook (Corviknight) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Bishop (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Clear Smog

Bold Nature
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Toxic

Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
i already covered this so i'll be brief but yeah sand is really good. also zac isn't actually the best queen due to its inability to dyna, but its really good anyways cause it's just really strong and it has variety/unpredictability alongside it. probably top 5.

:dragapult::magearna::toxapex::palossand::porygon::porygon-z:
King (Dragapult) @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hex
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn

Queen (Magearna) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Trick
- Volt Switch

Rook (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Haze

Bishop (Palossand) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Compaction
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scorching Sands
- Shore Up
- Toxic

Pawn (Porygon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Teleport

Knight (Porygon-Z) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
so this is pretty standard balance, mostly about pivoting with porygon. magearna is actually the best queen because it's a super deadly offensive threat, seeing as how every king was weak to fairy at the time, being able to abuse all sorts of ridiculous sets basically for free since steel/fairy is also a busted defensive type that allows it to easily pivot on even queens. specs is a go-to breaker which hits as hard as it did in ou, or even harder, since teams are limited to only one ubers pokemon. it has a great synergy with toxapex, which takes on a lot of things that threaten magearna such as cinderace, and palossand rounds out the defensive coverage by beating rock- and ground-types like excadrill, and setting stealth rock. dragapult was added as a fast pivot to spread paralysis, clean with hex, and for overall speed control. tho in all honesty it should be kommo-o since this team gets razed by krookodile especially if it's scarf. finally porygon is a big special glue, tanking most neutral hits, and then teleporting out to the answer. it also spreads paralysis for pult and mag. well porygon-z also exists but its not super good, tho it does pull weight.

:dragapult::dracovish::pelipper::drednaw::mareanie::toxapex:
King (Dragapult) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Clear Body
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Queen (Dracovish) @ Choice Band
Ability: Strong Jaw
Adamant Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Outrage
- Low Kick
- Psychic Fangs

Rook (Pelipper) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Bishop (Drednaw) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Pawn (Mareanie) @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Knock Off

Knight (Toxapex) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes
vish is super threatening in this meta. usually i roll my eyes every time vish is viable and someone explains why fishious rend is good again, but in chessmons there isn't really room to fit counters to certain pokemon. this instead influences role compression and blanket checks, which is the perfect setting for vish. anything less than a counter will get screwed over by vish, and almost no teams will actually have a full-fledged counter since vish has a bunch of other flaws to exploit and isn't a top-tier mon, therefore flying under the radar. to show cb vish's power, fishious rend does an average of 140% to max hp goodra in the rain. then there's the rest of the team next. jk lol, ill explain them. drednaw seems like a weird choice, but drednaw was the last thing i added and at tde time i had no stealth rock or swift swim, and drednaw compresses those two traits well. mareanie + pex is prob the best pawn-knight core, and if it's not the best it's certainly the most common, seeing tons of use in tour. regen core and being able to have physdef and spdef is amazing. finally pult was for a pseudo-swift swim and also to beat other dracovish trying to mooch off of rain, and again general speed control. plus it's a grass and electric resist which helps when 5/6 of the team is water.
:dragapult::zacian::skarmory::torkoal::mareanie::toxapex:
King (Dragapult) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Phantom Force
- Substitute
- Dragon Darts

Queen (Zacian) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs
- Fire Fang

Rook (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Roost
- Spikes
- Taunt

Bishop (Torkoal) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Lava Plume
- Rest

Pawn (Mareanie) @ Eviolite
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Toxic Spikes

Knight (Toxapex) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic
yeah i know pult again. also its torkoal but not on a sun team, and it still has drought, because lava plume in sun does a lot. plus it has rocks and spin, and resets weather to stop rain and sand. no, hail is not real. skarmory is there because you get murdered by sand even though torkoal is there, mostly due to sand rush exca, and it sets spikes giving it the advantage over corviknight. as for the abusers, cb zac is ridiculously strong in hazard stack teams, since playing around cb is about making the right switch, and the right switch is punished by hazard stack. and yes i'm using pult again, but sub dd pult also takes advantage of hazard stack really well since going to something like urshifu is costly. mareanie-pex makes a return so we can add tspikes, and defend against tspikes.
:kommo-o::eternatus::ditto::rotom-wash::larvesta::volcarona:
King (Kommo-o) @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Body Press
- Rest

Queen (Eternatus) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dynamax Cannon
- Recover
- Flamethrower
- Toxic

Rook (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Transform

Bishop (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp

Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
ditto is the rook because it was ou at the time. anyways etern and larvesta have a good synergy since larvesta beats zac for etern, letting it be a physical blanket. rotom-wash and kommo-o are also handy teammates, with rotom-wash beating ndm and cinder, who larvesta can't touch, and kommo-o taking on darks most darks and setting rocks. if any queen does muscle past this core, ditto is ready to reverse sweep them. volcarona is a really useful qd sweeper to take advantage of things like pex and gastro that can trouble the defensive core. this team mostly struggles with goodra, since it hard stops volcarona and nothing really wants to switch in on a draco, but i've pulled wins against it before.
:dragapult::kyurem-black::volcarona::grimmsnarl::sandile::krookodile:
King (Dragapult) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Substitute

Queen (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Fusion Bolt
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Rook (Volcarona) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Psychic

Bishop (Grimmsnarl) (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Careful Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Pawn (Sandile) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Toxic

Knight (Krookodile) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
screens is always a free win. sandy-krook is underrated, sandile makes for a decent rocks setter with intim and krook is really good now that walls have been nerfed. grimmsnarl is a neat screens setter, and then it's just 3 setup sweepers. nothing that you haven't seen before, well except kyurem black who is just a really broken mon in screens. nothing much more to say.

and that's the dump, enjoy not using these cause it's crown tundra now

Hey all, a few updates to Chessmons since the last post:

1. Previously the post had said that "Only the Queen may Dynamax or Gigantamax, and only if it is not on the Ubers Dynamax Banlist." Dynamaxing/gigantamaxing is now banned outright in Chessmons.
2. The list of legal queens has been expanded to include pseudolegendaries added to the game since game release (Kommo-o, Metagross, Salamence, Dragonite, Garchomp). Hisuian Goodra is not legal (yet)!

That's all for now!

Update: Calyrex-Shadow is banned in Chessmons! It’s already shaky in Ubers, and when you can’t run an Yveltal on every team to counter it it gets silly.

Zacian-C was previously banned in chessmons, but since that is AG now the ban is redundant.

This ban will take effect before the start of the Scrabblemons and Chessmons tour series, held each Wednesday and Saturday in the Board Games room on PS at 3 PM EDT starting on July 20! For more information, see the Board Games discord server.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)