Ultimate Frisbee-The Rise of the Ultimate Sport

Yes, I said it is the ultimate sport. Cause I like it.

Ultimate Frisbee is a new, quite underrated and mysterious sport. Yes, throwing a frisbee around is childish. But some guy (i don't know his name) created a sport around this beachy sport. I wanted to post a thread around it to know if other users knew that sport, and if not, well they could discover it!

Here are the basic rules:

-The Field -- A rectangular shape with endzones at each end. A regulation field is 70 yards by 40 yards, with endzones 25 yards deep.

-Initiate play -- Each point begins with both teams lining up on the front of their respective endzone line. The defense throws ("pulls") the disc to the offense. A regulation game has seven players per team.

-Scoring -- Each time the offense completes a pass in the defense's endzone, the offense scores a point. Play is initiated after each score.

-Movement of the Disc -- The disc may be advanced in any direction by completing a pass to a teammate. Players may not run with the disc. The person with the disc ("thrower") has ten seconds to throw the disc. The defender guarding the thrower ("marker") counts out the stall count.

-Change of possession -- When a pass in not completed (e.g. out of bounds, drop, block, interception), the defense immediately takes possession of the disc and becomes the offense.

-Substitutions -- Players not in the game may replace players in the game after a score and during an injury timeout.

-Non-contact -- No physical contact is allowed between players. Picks and screens are also prohibited. A foul occurs when contact is made.

-Fouls -- When a player initiates contact on another player a foul occurs. When a foul disrupts possession, the play resumes as if the possession was retained. If the player committing the foul disagrees with the foul call, the play is redone.

-Self-Refereeing -- Players are responsible for their own foul and line calls. Players resolve their own disputes.

-Spirit of the Game -- Ultimate stresses sportsmanship and fair play. Competitive play is encouraged, but never at the expense of respect between players, adherence to the rules, and the basic joy of play.

Well, for some it might look too smooth seeing the game is based around non-contact and Spirit. They think it is still easy to jog around will throwing and catching a piece of plastic... well look at that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAyEti-_lR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erRqDpMDFFo

Say those guys are lumps now.

So, yeah. Here's ultimate Frisbee! Of course, Highschools plays are less impressive, but, hey. You gotta start somewhere.

Discuss!

I saw people playing it a fair few times when I was at uni. I never played though. I suck at even throwing a frisbee.

The only thing I really noticed is how the way a frisbee flies affects the game. A pass that goes an inch above your catching hands goes sailing many metres back, in a way that doesn't happen in games with balls.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This isn't exactly a new sport but yeah it's really catching on. I actually really enjoy playing it, its really good exercise since all you do is run up and down a field. like a cross between football and basketball. The best part is, you don't even need anything to play, you just find an open field and a frisbee and go (which is why it's so popular with college kids, everyone has a frisbee and its cheap).

Honestly, Ultimate Frisbee is ridiculously fun to play

Think of it as football, but instead of tackling you are just a cover corner, and you need to not only be able to make good catches but you needa be able to send it once you catch it and have to freeze

one of 2 sports I actually play. (the other is badmitton, I pwn at badmitton, city middle school singles champ, second place in doubles [my partner was "accidently tripped by our opponets].) I actually took an ultimate frisbee class this year at school. It was awesome. Of course, the way me and my friends play, if you hit someone down while in midair, it isn't against the rules so it ets violent with us trying to catch and body slam each other at the same time.
But yeah, it's easy to pick up, cheap, and a lot of fun.
Oh, and frisbee's aren't childish. When you and your friend spend 6 hours doing frisbee until we can go 100 in a row from 100 feet away? not boring. forget football, this is the sport where you do insane jumps to catch something. I have caught it in my teeth before. I have strong teeth muscles.

Ultimate is awesome, and its awesome that a wide range of skill levels can play together. Makes it really easy to get a pick up game going

It's great to see that there are some people that believe Ultimate Frisbee is a sport! Ultimate is fun, easy to set up, and once you start playing it's hard to stop! My favorite part is that you don't need a referee, as the players manage the game themselves. As for those who don't watch the videos and say that you don't have to be athletic to be good at it...I'll tell you something: I'm on an Ultimate team, and we had our first practice recently. I'm pretty fit, but I was exhausted at the end of the practice, because we ran our butts off in the scrimmages during the practice. If you think that you can jog instead of running while playing Ultimate, I wish you good luck.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I must say Ultimate frisbee is best played in the dark.
Buy a light up frisbee. Head to the park at 10 pm with a bunch of friends and bring those flexible glow stick things. Put those around your neck, different colors to denote different teams. Then have a good ol' blasty blast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)