SM Ubers Ultra Sun Hyper Offense

untitled.png

Introduction

Hello everyone, I'm Ray713 and I’m currently employed full-time. It's been like 2 years since I joined Smogon but currently a casual visitor. Until now I haven't post anything in the forum so I guess this is the right time to do a RMT and I'm feeling nervous. Right here I have a elegant but simple team based on Ultra Necrozma. Here's some soothing music that you won't be able to take your mind of the RMT. So let's begin...

Team building process

>

I believe Ultra Necrozma was the most anticipated Pokémon to grace upon the USUM uber tier. It got me excited to build around one. So I decided to build around Swords Dance Ultra Necrozma and at the same time being my 1st uber team of USUM. I’ve selected Dusk Mane as its parent form due to superior defensive typing and being able to use Sunsteel Strike which can come in handy.

>

Choosing a Stealth Rock setter is a good next step to take. Suicide leads aren’t that effective in the current meta due to the move Defog is learnable by several mons nowadays. I option with Primal Groudon which can act a check to Xerneas and helps the team with Primal Kyogre.

>

The current 2 mons is checked by Yveltal while Necrozma is threatened by Dark types. Xerneas is the ideal partner in an offensive team as it helps exert additional pressure to the opposing team.

>

I noticed the current structure is weak to Primal Groudon. I decided to use Mega Salamence because it doubles as a status sponge and serves as a blanket checks to physical attackers such as Ho-Oh.

>

I need an anti-offense tool to keep dangerous sweepers on the line and Choice Scarf users from outmanoeuvring the members. E-Killer was the best option due to its bulk and robust priority move: Extreme Speed. E-Killer is also immune to Ghosts which Necrozma greatly appreciates.

>

Lastly I need an offensive Psychic check mainly since Necrozma is one of the dominant forces in USUM uber. With Marshadow to finish the roster, also provides the team with a 2nd priority user plus checks to Swords Dance Arceus forms and compliments Necrozma’s ability to tear through defensive teams.

Team in-depth

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Ultranecrozium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Swords Dance
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake
Main role
Ultra Necrozma combines its role as a revenge killer, sweeper and wall-breaker. Activating Ultra Burst isn’t always useful when meeting threats that the team is reliant on Necrozma in Dusk Mane form to check, so the purpose of Sunsteel Strike is to act as a 2nd STAB move. Earthquake is to be more solid vs notorious beasts like Primal Groudon and Dusk Mane Necrozma as the team can struggle against both of them.

EV details
There are no other options but to use the standard EVs spread for this set; Jolly nature and 252 EVs in Spe is required for outspeeding Marshadow, not only for the role of soft checking it, or otherwise will OHKO and steal boosts via Spectral Thief. The rest of the EVs are slotted in Atk to make full use of Necrozma’s offensive proficiencies.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 12 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Toxic
- Overheat
Main role
Primal Groudon generally checks Xerneas and Primal Kyogre for the team. The defensive set is chosen because rather than making the team offensively indulging vs fat teams. The set is established to help fend off attackers on offensive teams that would put the team in peril such as Marshadow, Primal Kyogre, Xerneas and Dusk Mane Necrozma and is better at keeping rocks up in the long run. Toxic is primarily against Giratina-O, support Arceus forms and Lugia. Overheat deals tremendous damage vital for punishing common switch-ins. It is used to smash Steel types that are immune to Ground such as Celesteela.

EV details
The EVs spread is the standard USUM set. But most importantly, a Relaxed nature ensures Primal Groudon is slow as possible in order to move after defoggers like Giratina-Origin to always get rocks up once Primal Groudon succumb to Toxic.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 164 Def / 224 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]​

Main role
Xerneas fulfils its offensive and defensive role as checking Dark and Dragon types. Running Geomancy plus 3 coverage attacks is needed to get past many threats as possible in order not to lower the team’s offensive fluidity. For example, Thunder is needed for Ho-Oh and Hidden Power Fire is needed for Ferrothorn as those Pokémon can tank a +2 Moonblast thanks to their high natural special bulk

EV details
120 EVs in Spe are used so that at +1, Xerneas is faster than Mega Gengar that is used on Web teams. 164 EVs in Def gives Xerneas a better chance of surviving attacks from priority users that is intended to check Xerneas and also 2 Life Orb Spectral Thief at full HP. The rest distributed in SpA EVs with Modest nature ensures that Xerneas hits as hard as possible once boosted so that it can effectively sweep.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Roost
- Facade​

Main role
Mega Salamence provides Ground immunity for the team and soft checks powerful physical attackers mainly Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh. The set is standard but with Facade, it allows Mega Salamence to eat status for the team particularly Burn that would intend to cripple Necrozma or other physical attackers on this team.

EV details
Although in random scenario, the extra 4 EV in Spe is used to outpace the opposing Salamence if it happens to come in with Intimidate and proceed to set Dragon Dance; Salamence can set its own Dragon Dance nullifying its attack drop and damage it with Double-Edge which should put in KO range for Shadow Sneak and Extreme Speed or self-KO from the opposing Mega Salamence’s Double-Edge. 252 EVs in Atk to maximise its damage output and the rest in HP in increase its all-around bulk slightly.

Arceus @ Chople Berry
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Recover​

Main role
E-Killer serves as a priority user to deal with Scarfers and dangerous sweepers that would outspeed the entire team. Its Ghost immunity allows it to switch into predicted Ghost types attacks. Chople Berry is needed to minimise the super-effective damage Close Combat from Marahadow and can also benefit against E-Killer’s check that carries Fighting coverage. Recover to match well with its natural bulk helps preserves E-Killer’s longevity to avoid getting into a Close Combat KO range from Marshadow and find an easier opportunity to set up Swords Dance.

EV details
Adamant nature and 252 Atk EVs gives Arceus the greatest damage output, something it needs due to not having any boosting item behind its attacks. 20 Spe EVs let it outspeed standard Lugia spread in order to pressure it with +2 Shadow Claw preventing it from Roosting back up to full HP. The rest shoved towards HP to make excellent use of Arceus's natural bulk to be more difficult to take down in conjunction with Recover.

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Shadow Sneak
- Hidden Power [Ice]​

Main role
A classic Life Orb Marshadow but has with Hidden Power Ice to deal with opposing Mega Salamence and Zygarde as the latter is hard for this team to break. Marshadow assumes the role as a 2nd fast-mon and mainly check Swords Dance Arceus forms, Mega Gengar and offensive Psychic threats. With its ultimate offensive typing it can fairly pressure threats found in defensive teams such as Blissey, Ferrothorn, Lugia and Giratina-A.

EV details
The EVs distribution is just as standard. A Naive nature along with 252 Spe is needed for taking control of Swords Dance Arceus forms. 252 Atk EVs is essential to give Marshadow most of the power needed to abuse its STAB moves.

Threat list

The team is pretty straight forward, nothing fancy and easy to use. But it does have medium-high to high weaknesses to a particular Pokémon or match-up which I’ll be explaining with each Pokémon individually or sets by sets below.

>

Trick Room + Swords Dance
Being the bulkier Dusk Mane set, will have easier time setting its status move in front of targets that can’t soften it enough. Even worse Trick Room robs the team's momentum and forces the team to make switches to stall out Trick Room consequently receiving serious damage in exchange. The team will have to find a chance to limit its set up opportunities or at very least weaken it to Marshadow’s Shadow Sneak range.

Ultra Necrozma
The unison of Necrozma Dusk Mane and Ultra is able to claim one or more party if you fail to scout for the probability of its Ultra form sooner or lose the 50/50 mind game. But after transforming to Ultra Necrozma, it is more prone to being revenge killed which this team has tools for it within the 2 priority users.

Choice Scarf
This copycat is a nuisance to any offensive team as it can exploit set-ups attackers with Imposter. Knowing whether or not to set-up if the opposing Ditto is waiting at the back; you must be acquainted with the amount of damage taken to necessarily live your own boosted attacks and in return trade damage to the “transformed” target to put it in range of Extreme Speed from E-Killer or Shadow Sneak from Marshadow.

Dragon Dance w/ Glare
It can plow the team after a few Dragon Dances if not dealt with sooner. Set with Glare and Substitute can be more bothersome if it manages to set up a Sub while fishing for paralysis. Being a semi-sweeper, it is dependent on prior damage; some of the bulkier mons in the team such as Mega Salamence who can take boosted Thousand Arrows then set up and dispatch or deal massive damage to Zygarde although Mega Salamence will be clapped by the Z-Outrage variant.

Defensive w/ Coil
This set is a pain to bring down let alone the physical breakers in the team. Glare variant utterly cripples the team’s momentum making the task even harder. The method for handling Zygarde is reliant on brute force to break Zygarde to the point where it is force to Rest and they don’t tend to run Sleep Talk which leads to openings for Xerneas and Marshadow to force it out. A well calculated offensive pressure prior to Power Construct can complete the job too.

Wall
The combination of Roost and Whirlwind and being relatively fast makes it hard to break as it forces mind games to whether the team should set-up or simply wear Lugia down with an attacking move. The team has to rely on keeping rocks up whereas Primal Groudon can break its Multiscale with Toxic and Necrozma as Dusk Mane is immune to Toxic and can use Lugia as a set-up fodder and Marshadow deals super-effective damage although it must be wary of Psychic.

Dragon Dance
After an Intimidate, it can set Dragon Dance on an un-boosted Necrozma, E-Killer and Primal Groudon leading to a potential sack of teammates to revenge it with the team’s priority attacks so make sure you are not too passive to let Salamence set-up comfortably. Moreover this team’s very own Salamence can keep the opposing one at bay with Intimidate.

Z-Geomancy
Although not that common anymore, Z-Geomancy with Sleep Talk is harder to beat as Primal Groudon loses to it 1 on 1. This obliges the team to make even more offensive plays to KO Xerneas before it has completed Z-Geomancy or put it in range of Extreme Speed or Shadow Sneak after it has finished setting up although the last is questionable due to its sheer bulk.

All sets
Primal Groudon can utilise arrays of viable sets to eliminate whatever it desires that would circumvent its checks making it dangerously unpredictable. Salamence must be wary of mixed sets with HP-Ice but then they are usually Mild nature who’s worse at taking physical hits as 5 of the 6 mons are physical attackers. The team can handle any offensive set decently as they are capable of punishing Primal Groudon from setting up, and have a way to take it down if it does so.

Web teams
Sticky Web teams are a classic anti-offense tool and at most puts the team in hot water as the team lacks any form of hazard remover. To beat this playstyle is to concentrate the plays around Mega Salamence thanks to being immune to Sticky Web. If necessary, priority users are able to bypass webs and pick off weakened foes. Also a +1 Spe Xerneas will usually outpace an entire threat you would expect to find on web teams.

Brief summary

Necrozma forms a great offensive synergy with Xerneas and Mega Salamence to pave a way for another Pokemon to sweep. E-Killer and Marshadow are the primary revenge killers and cleaners while Primal Groudon is the team’s Stealth Rock setter and checks other threats if needed.

Dusk Mane can be use over Ultra in exchange for being weaker to Primals, Ho-Oh and certain support Arceus form for better at handling Xerneas, Yveltal, checking a larger portion of threats and superior user of Z-Move.

But in the end it’s up to the player’s preference to decide; whether is it catching the opponent by surprise or even choosing to play with both sets as the opponent would not know what to expect obliging them to play carefully around the possibility of both Necrozma forms.

Team importable

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Ultranecrozium Z
Jolly Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Swords Dance
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Toxic
- Overheat

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Roost
- Facade

Arceus @ Chople Berry
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Recover

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Shadow Sneak
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Solganium Z
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Toxic
- Overheat

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Roost
- Facade

Arceus @ Chople Berry
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Recover

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Shadow Sneak
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Conclusion
It took a lot of effort to write this RMT but in the end I'm glad to worked hard to make the RMT look as professional as it can be and hoping to get some acknowledgment. I'll gladly take any feedback and suggestions to heart as long if they are open-minded and happily answer your questions regarding this team in further details. I may think about submitting this team to USUM sample teams thread if I feel it's been optimized to a required extent.

Credits

RMT written by: Ray713
Team created by: Ray713
Banner made by: Ray713

THANKS FOR READING

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is a common and strong team structure, so this rate is just going to focus on detailing options. Just to throw this out there you may utilize Primal Kyogre instead of Marshadow, which helps to cover several of the Pokmeon in your threatlist.

I understand this team is built around Ultra Necrozma, but I'd consider utilizing double dance Necrozma-DM. This provides a way for you to boost Speed without losing your ability to check opposing offensive threats, which you discuss in the RMT. Ultra Necrozma is better at breaking Ho-Oh and bulky Waters, but Necrozma-DM is better at mostly everything else. Marshadow and Ultra Necrozma are also in a very similar Speed tier, so it's not really diversifying your assets in that regard either.

I think you should also consider a more offensive Primal Groudon EV spread for this application - one that gives you a bit better chance at messing with Pokemon employed by BOs and Balances. I want to clarify that the one you are currently using is perfectly fine for setting SR + soft checking a variety of offensive threats, just that you may consider a more proactive spread. If you're worried about Xerneas, I don't really think you should be as this team has Necrozma-DM + Primal Groudon + 2 revenge killers, especially so if you chose to use double dance Necrozma-DM. An EV spread along the lines of 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe may be appropriate, or one that utilizes 156 Spe with SpA and SpD investment and a Mild or Lonely Nature. You may also consider using a move that has better proactive utility than Toxic such as Rock Tomb.

If you have some problems with Yveltal, I'd suggest using an Xerneas EV spread of 72 HP / 252 SpA / 100 SpD / 84 Spe with a Modest nature. Otherwise, you're probably best off using a spread of 172 Def / 252 SpA / 84 Spe with a Modest nature as this creates better physical bulk which is important as many of the revenge killing and other moves targeted against Xerneas are physical. If you have issues with Sticky Web, I would suggest utilizing Defog Mega Salamence with 252 Speed and a Jolly nature. I also think Arceus benefits more from using a move such as Earthquake (especially because of Necrozma-DM) or Substitute instead of Recover.

I think that's just about all there is to say. Good luck with the team.

In my experience the team kinda struggle against Ho-Oh especially the defensive set on most well balance and stall build teams. Double Dance Dusk Mane is a force to be reckoned with and definitely will build around it as my next team. Primal Kyogre is a fantastic asset on offensive build teams to function as a wall-breaker but I think is more ideal in bulky offense teams like yours as it compensate for the lower speed stats with the bulk. Marshadow does helps me against Ghosts and Psychics and possessing Fighting STAB is a valuable offensive coverage for me to dismiss.

I'll definitely run Earthquake over Recover for E-Killer and adjust Xerneas' EVs spread for handling Yveltal better. I never had any problems with Xerneas, I just put it in the threat list as its known for creating massive team building impediments to any archetype to deal with all of its sets and for the sake of being humble haha.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Ray713

Last edited:
Nice team. Like Minority said Dusk Mane would make the team more terrifying but Ultra Necro is good too as it makes the team less weak to Ho-Oh and Pogre.

Well I’m gonna build around Dusk Mane in a similar team structure like yours. Any advice?

Nice team. Like Minority said Dusk Mane would make the team more terrifying but Ultra Necro is good too as it makes the team less weak to Ho-Oh and Pogre.

Well I’m gonna build around Dusk Mane in a similar team structure like yours. Any advice?
I would use SD Arceus Ground with Substitute which helps against Celesteela and Zygarde: something Dusk Mane have issues with. And replace HP-Ice with Rock Tomb to bop Ho-Oh. The rest I would keep the set unchanged especially PDon which you needed for POgre. I was gonna build around Dusk Mane but it ended up looking similar to most people's team. I decided to steal Minority's Dusk Mane team instead lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)