SM OU Unintentionally Steel-less (M-Diancie+Bulky Volcarona)

First RMT but here we go:

(
)

Overview:

The day I saw Mega Diancie drop, I had to find out why and figure out how to make it work in OU to bring it back to its former glory. So I threw this bulky offense team together over the past month or so to show the world the Gem of the OU tier. There are two importables (One for the Slowbro varient and one for the Alomomola varient). Now for the team:

Miner's Lady (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock

First member of the team is Mega Diancie. Mega Diancie is my rocker and one of my ways to breaking Heatran, The Charizards, Tornadus, and Mega Sableye all in one slot. Stealth rock support from Diancie allows opposing pokemon to be put in range of Diancie's teammates' attacks. Moonblast allows Mega Diancie to either deal huge amounts of damage to or outright KO Dark, Fighting, and Dragon Types such as Tyranitar, Mega Medicham, and Zygarde. Diamond Storm hits alot of pokemon in the tier such as Tornadus, Volcarona, Victini, the Charizards and Zapdos. To round off the moveset, Earth Power OHKOs Heatran and chunks Kartana and other ground weak steels such as Magearna. Diancite obviously lets Diancie mega evolve.

Coca-Cola™ (Volcarona) @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz

The next member of the team is Volcarona. Volcarona acts as a Kartana, Scizor, Tapu Bulu, and Serperior check (although Volcarona doesn't quite like being paralyzed). Quiver Dance boosts Volcarona's Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed, allowing it to outspeed non-scarfed pokemon such as Mega Alakazam and Tapu Koko. Roost provides recovery and lets Volcarona check what it's supposed to check better and gives it more longevity throughout the match. Flamethrower is chosen over Fire Blast because it has more PP and cannot miss, therefore being more consistent in hitting pokemon like Scizor and Ferrothorn 100% of the time. Bug Buzz is Volcarona's secondary STAB that hits alot of what Flamethrower cant, notably hitting Tyranitar and Latios. Bugium Z turns Bug Buzz into a nuke to hit Volcarona's checks pretty hard such as Zygarde.

hMM (Tornadus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Defog

Tornadus is in the team to secondarily check Kartana and Defog support for Volcarona. Taunt stops other defoggers and stealth rockers from clearing or adding hazards, which benefits Volcarona and itself. U-turn allows Tornadus to Pivot into an answer depending on what it u-turns on. Hurricane hits everything that doesnt resist it for decent damage, and deals with Fighting and Grasses such as Lopunny, Tapu Bulu, and Medicham. Rocky Helmet punishes pokemon like Landorus from U-turning on it and Physical Attackers with Contact moves such as Kartana.

send n00ds (Tangrowth) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Payback
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tangrowth is the Zygarde and Ash Greninja check on the team. Assault Vest allows Tangrowth to actually eat special hits from the likes of Ash-Greninja and Keldeo (although secret sword isnt fun to switch into.) Giga drain hits waters for good damage, allowing Tangrowth to 1v1 most common waters in the tier such as Greninja, Tapu Fini, Keldeo, Rotom Wash, Mega Swampert, and Slowbro. Earthquake allows Tangrowth to not let Heatran in for free as it hits Heatran for the 2HKO. Hidden Power Ice is to damage what Tangrowth is supposed to check, mainly Landorus, Zygarde, and Gliscor. Payback hits Alakazam for the OHKO after Stealth Rock support from Mega Diancie. (Thanks to Finchinator for the idea <3)

dub defog not bad (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 Atk / 68 Def / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Defog/ Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I needed some speed control and an electric immunity to prevent everything from volt switching around on my team, so I chose Scarf Landorus. Earthquake hits everything for decent damage as long as the target doesnt resists it or is straight immune it. The next slot is continually wavering between Stone Edge and Defog depending if Volcarona and Charizard Y are popular at that time. U-turn gains momentum in allowing me to get in a check or counter to the opposing pokemon. Hidden Power Ice hits other Landorus, Zygarde, Garchomp, and the oh-so-occasional Dragonite.

Luvdisk 2 (Alomomola) @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

To wrap up the team, I needed a decent Heatran switch-in and some wish support. Alomomola fit this slot decently well. Scald so Taunt pokemon such as Tapu Fini and Heatran don't completely shut down Alomomola. Wish allows Alomomola to heal itself or heal its teammates. Protect allows Alomomola to get a free turn to receive its own wish or scout for coverage moves. Toxic allows Alomomola to status walls like Tangrowth, Hippowdon, Chansey, etc. which helps my other teammates break them easier.

However, In the past week or so, I've been seeing more and more Mega Medichams and Fat Zygarde, So I made an adjustment in the last slot from Alomomola to Slowbro:

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave/Toxic

Slowbro does most everything that Alomomola does (Par Wishpassing) but better checks Medicham and Zard X. Leftovers for passive recovery so I survive hits better. Scald for main damage so taunt doesnt wreck Bro. Slack off for reliable recovery, Ice beam hits Landorus T and Zygarde harder then scald, opening holes for teammates to sweep. Finally Thunder Wave slows down threats and Toxic can cripples walls to help my teammates sweep.

If you have any questions, leave a comment. Any constructive criticism is welcome with open arms. Good day to you all :)

Last edited:

Hey there, i'm Mawilove!
I am the Sweet Mawile, and I like to make Decorated and Structured Rates to help other players and share my knowledge :)
You have a great team, I really enjoyed using it, and I saw few flaws in it, but those few flaws were a bit difficult to solve.
Its offensive core has a great synergy, but it lacks a bit more beans in it. You do not really have a Wallbreaker on the team, and so matchup against stall is bad (Chansey 6-0s), and lack of Protect in Mega Diancie hurts your team as you need Protect to mega evolve as soon as possible, and ensure that Magic Bounce prevents Stealth Rock from entering your field.
Without further ado, here are my suggestions.

Major Rate
1541953466220.png
Landorus-Therian
|
1541953499498.png
Choice Scarf >
1541953730599.png
Earth Plate

Swords Dance + Gravity Landorus-T is a monster with virtually no counters, and will greatly improve your matchup against Stall. The set is a bit strange, but i guarantee it works, Earth Plate was chosen because you already have a Z-Move user on the team.
Stealth Rock opens the moveslot for Mega Diancie to use Protect, and I think he's a better user than her overall.

1541953753032.png
Mega Diancie
| Stealth Rock > Protect

As already said, you need Protect to Mega Evolve as soon as possible, and be able to guarantee that Stealth Rock will not enter your field.

1541953771726.png
Tornadus-Therian
>
1541953782860.png
Kartana

Since you lost your Choice Scarf user, I decided to put Kartana. She guarantees Landorus-Therian Revenge Kill powers, and the utility of having a quick Defog on the team, without losing its offensive power, ensuring its matchup against offensive teams, and acting as a second win condition, thanks to Beast Boost.

1541955674009.png
Volcarona | Flamethrower > Fiery Dance
I understand the reason for using Flamethrower, but I think in the normal ladder the games will not be long enough that you need to use Flamethrower instead of Fiery Dance, which is much more useful considering that you are using a Bulkarona.

1541953792884.png
Tangrowth
| Earthquake > Rock Slide |
Payback > Knock Off
Lures in and OHKO Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y, that your team is very weak against.
I did not understand that Payback, Finchinator suggested this to your team or was this a general idea he had? You need Knock Off to remove important items like Eviolite of Chansey.
If you can explain me better about this Payback later, it would be good.

Other Options
Giga Impact is an option in Kartana, for OHKO Kartana.
Tapu Bulu is a good option in place of Tangrowth, as it has a greater offensive presence, and helps your Kartana's sweep, but it is a setup bait for Volcarona, so you could only use it if you choose Giga Impact in Kartana.
Stone Edge is an option in Landorus-Therian, but I believe that without Rockium Z, Gravity helps you better in breaking down flying pokémon like Celesteela.
Ferrothorn is an option in place of Tangrowth, releasing the Stealth Rock moves from Landorus-T to U-Turn or Rock Polish, if you choose, Thunder Wave is required to break Volcarona by trying to set up in your face. However, Ferrothorn is not as secure against Zygarde as Tangrowth.

Final Considerations
Your team was very good, the only major flaw i saw was the lack of a real Wallbreaker and the lack of Protect in Mega Diancie, and to solve those minor flaws, I needed a Wallbreaker on your team, and a Stealth Rock Setter (Hence the Landorus-T set), but by changing the Landorus-T set, I would now need a Scarf user.
You do not have to follow ALL the modifications, but this is extremely recommended, so do not disrupt your team.
I'm sure you'll like the changes when testing, and I hope you'll respond to my rate with your opinions.
Feel free to PM me on Showdown whenever you want ;)
Here's your new team! Feel free to change shinies and nicknames!
Princess (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Queen (Volcarona) (F) @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

Servant (Tangrowth) (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Payback
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mascot (Slowbro) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

Duke (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

King (Landorus-Therian) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gravity
Also, here are two replays that show how I played with your new team, and especially: The importance of the changes in your team, Protect in Mega Diancie let me keep Stealth Rock out of the field easily, and in the first replay I made a sweep with Kartana , in the second, with Volcarona. Important detail: In the first replay I played against semi-stall, and in the second, with a Chansey again.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-833468156
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-833472574

Last edited:
Alright, thank you for your improvements. Its ironic how I hate stall with everything yet the one decent team I build is weak to it :( anyways Payback was something that was in general for Finch's idea.

Hey, this is a pretty cool build and bulky Volcarona is a really interesting pick at the moment. My first biggest issue with this build is the lack of a Toxapex abuser, which is almost essential for any Bulky Volcarona build. In addition to this, this team is overall pretty weak to Toxapex as a whole, as nothing can really punish it, nor does anything want to switch into it. In addition to this, your stall matchup is generally pretty lackluster overall, considering that you've got no dedicated stallbreaker. Additionally, this team's defensive matchup versus Tapu Lele, Alakazam and Dark-Types such as Ash Greninja and Hydreigon are incredibly difficult, considering that your counterplay is pretty inconsistent versus these mons, while the latter can easily set spikes up on the switch and just break past it. Finally, you've already addressed the lack of steels, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway, because of the general lackluster matchup versus the aforementioned Psychics, Tornadus and Reuniclus.

>
/
While both Alomomola and Slowbro provide interesting niches to this team, neither Alomomola nor Slowbro addresses many of this team's issues regarding the weak stall and Ash Greninja matchups, so I believe that running Tapu Fini here is the better option. This change provides this team with a consistent method of breaking past stall, whilst also providing the team with an additional answer versus Ash Greninja, Heatran, and Hydreigon and even providing this team with an excellent form of hazard removal. Additionally, it provides invaluable Misty Terrain support for Volcarona, allowing it to set up on the likes of Zapdos and when Toxic Spikes are up. The spread I'll be recommending allows Fini to outspeed Modest Heatran and Magearna, while allowing you to 2hko Heatran with Surf.

>
As I mentioned earlier, you generally want to have a Toxapex abuser and this team desperately needs the presence of a Steel-Type. Unfortunately, Tornadus does not address this issue, so I believe that replacing Tornadus with a Magearna. This change not only provides the team an answer to problematic Psychic-Types, but it also provides the team with an additional Tornadus answer and improves the team's overall stall matchup. Additionally, it also serves as a [pseudo] Toxapex abuser, being able to Calm Mind on it and force it out after several turns. Admittedly, it's not a fantastic abuser, nor can it be actually classified as such, but due to the need for role compression between a steel type and a pex abuser, this was the best option I could accommodate due to the nature of this team.

Optional Change, but I like Grass Knot + Hidden Power Fire with a mixed defensive spread here, as it helps the Kartana matchup, which may be annoying if rocks are up. This change also means that you don't check Ash Greninja as consistently, but you do have several forms of incredibly reliable counterplay versus it, so this tradeoff may be beneficial.

There's honestly no need to run 68 defense evs if you're not running explosion, nor do you exactly need HP Ice in this scenario, so removing HP Ice in order to fit stone edge and running a fully offensive set is more optimal here.

Hope the rate was useful, good luck with the team!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)