Unpopular opinions

Are you taking single-stage lines into account, stage7_4?
Yes, a single stage line is essentially a family of one.

In terms of efficiency, they technically count for more since they add to the total amount of families with the least amount of members (compare a 3-stage line where each member is like 1/3 of a family, or Eevee where each member is 1/8).

I know we've confused the point, but the purpose was to reduce the overall count to the pokemon people actually use the most (the final evolutions). It's not a perfect system though, as branched evolutions, evolite, and just plain personal favorites among the pre-evolutions mean our 417 number isn't entirely accurate.

It's only meant to try to weed out our 802 pokemon, to better grasp how many pokemon there truly are.

It may seem cruel to say that Dewott or Braixen or even Pikachu don't count because they're not "adults" yet, but it's more to weed out stuff like Silcoon/Cascoon for example.

Although now that I've got my 417 answer, I don't know how much more we can say on the matter. New topic?

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Where's my Conquest sequel?!
still waiting on a pokemon snap sequel or another ranger game myself
Colosseum game would be nice too. But addressing the three brought up:

Conquest: There is one problem with Conquest that may prevent another being made, at least for a while: it was a crossover game. Pokemon with Nobunaga's Ambition. While it did well it's still a niche game plus it was only released in Japan and North America which kind of tells me GF/Nintendo doesn't have much confidence it'll have a wide audience (it being released in North America was probably considered a gamble). I'd also imagine Koei are busy with making other games at the moment, infact they're working on porting the latest Nobunaga's Ambition to the Switch. But who knows, maybe when the next major Nobunaga's Ambition installment is made they could do another Pokemon Conquest to coincide and advertise it.

Snap:

Bzzt! Hey, what am, day old malasada? You're saying the Poke Finder didn't fill you photography needs?

Okay, being serious, it is a wonder why they haven't done another Pokemon Snap considering the 3DS and Wii U's gamepad can be used as cameras. As joked above, Pokemon Sun & Moon shows us what they could do with a modern day Pokemon Snap, so why not do one? Instead of locking us to an island we can take Pokemon pictures in all the regions. With so many new Legendary Pokemon they could be made into "bosses" for each location and snapping them would could unlock new locations/Legendaries.

Ranger: I'm wondering if they're hesitant to do another ranger game due to how the circling of the stylus reportedly ruined touch screens. They were okay releasing more on the DS but when they moved to the 3DS they may not have wanted to repeat the mistake. Would like another one.

Ranger: I'm wondering if they're hesitant to do another ranger game due to how the circling of the stylus reportedly ruined touch screens. They were okay releasing more on the DS but when they moved to the 3DS they may not have wanted to repeat the mistake. Would like another one.
"reportedly", though, I haven't seen any proof of this. I played those games a shitton and my screens were fine!

"reportedly", though, I haven't seen any proof of this. I played those games a shitton and my screens were fine!
Can't speak for Ranger, but Elite Beat Agents really scratched up my DS lite. And I still can't beat those dang spinners on Jumping Jack Flash.

Worth noting that the entire Ranger series was released on the Wii U's virtual console, so the "scratch the screen" theory is a bit murky. I honestly think that Nintendo is just over their stylus games gimmick, similar to how 3D effects have toned down CONSIDERABLY after the 2DS came out.

Only semi-recent game that really used the stylus as a core feature was Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, and that was over 2 years ago.

The only Pokémon spinoffs I've ever played are the original pinball and trading card games on Gameboy. Weirdly, I lost them years ago but still have the original boxes they came in, as well as the original boxes for all of the Gameboy games.

Anyways, not sure how controversial this is, but I hate how they changed the structure of the campaign in Sun/Moon. With all of the previous games, I always had an idea of how I was progressing and how much I have left. In Sun/Moon, I have almost no idea how much farther I have left and it kills my interest in going on. I just got the rideable Machamp but don't know how much I have left. It doesn't help that this is the least satisfied I've ever been with my team. It also hurts that I have no idea where I can evolve my Magneton.

The only Pokémon spinoffs I've ever played are the original pinball and trading card games on Gameboy. Weirdly, I lost them years ago but still have the original boxes they came in, as well as the original boxes for all of the Gameboy games.

Anyways, not sure how controversial this is, but I hate how they changed the structure of the campaign in Sun/Moon. With all of the previous games, I always had an idea of how I was progressing and how much I have left. In Sun/Moon, I have almost no idea how much farther I have left and it kills my interest in going on. I just got the rideable Machamp but don't know how much I have left. It doesn't help that this is the least satisfied I've ever been with my team. It also hurts that I have no idea where I can evolve my Magneton.
Well, the islands serve as a rough estimate, so if you're halfway through Akala you'll be halfway through the game, as an example (EDIT: As Poni is a pretty short Island but it is probably closer to the end of Akala where you reach halfway). I think I'm the opposite to this though, I don't like to know how much of a game is left, I prefer to not know, because the thought of a fun game ending actually saddens me as it did when SuMo ended. When I'm near the end I'll be thinking about how the game is ending and I kind of actually don't like that.

Vast Poni Canyon which is ahead of where you are, it's on Poni island, you only get to evolve it when most of the story is done, sadly.

Last edited:
Colosseum game would be nice too. But addressing the three brought up:

Conquest: There is one problem with Conquest that may prevent another being made, at least for a while: it was a crossover game. Pokemon with Nobunaga's Ambition. While it did well it's still a niche game plus it was only released in Japan and North America which kind of tells me GF/Nintendo doesn't have much confidence it'll have a wide audience (it being released in North America was probably considered a gamble). I'd also imagine Koei are busy with making other games at the moment, infact they're working on porting the latest Nobunaga's Ambition to the Switch. But who knows, maybe when the next major Nobunaga's Ambition installment is made they could do another Pokemon Conquest to coincide and advertise it.
I never understood why they called it a crossover with Nobunaga's Ambition when every major character in that game was straight-up using their Samurai Warriors character design.

(also a bunch of Pokemon in that game had moves were straight garbage, which sucks when they only have one apiece).

To be completely, absolutely honest? Ditch Nobunaga and make a Fire Emblem x Pokemon crossover. Two of the strongest IPs Nintendo have rn in a single game would be i n c r e d i b l e.

And uh... Oh! I really, really, really don't understand why people think Gladion is 'edgy'. He doesn't sound edgy at all to me, he doesn't exaggerate or make things seem bigger than they actually are. I think it's just that he's too realistic in a world where Hau exists. His 'sword hand' thing is something I don't have an excuse for, though.

To be completely, absolutely honest? Ditch Nobunaga and make a Fire Emblem x Pokemon crossover. Two of the strongest IPs Nintendo have rn in a single game would be i n c r e d i b l e.

And uh... Oh! I really, really, really don't understand why people think Gladion is 'edgy'. He doesn't sound edgy at all to me, he doesn't exaggerate or make things seem bigger than they actually are. I think it's just that he's too realistic in a world where Hau exists. His 'sword hand' thing is something I don't have an excuse for, though.
It's weird to think that Fire Emblem was on the brink of being terminated prior to Awakening. What a difference a game makes, doesn't it?

Despite opinions, it's actually canon that they were trying to make Gladion edgy, but in a "middle schooler trying way too hard to be taken seriously" type vibe. See the design notes on this concept art:

Might be hard to see, but it's point #3 on the bottom.

Truthfully I don't see too many posts about a truly edgy Gladion, more that his design and dour attitude come across more as postulating. He's trying to be edgy, instead of being inherently edgy.

Basically he's my weird anime phase in middle school. At least if I could pull off skinny jeans (stupid rowing quads).

It's hard to put this type of faux-edgy attitude into words, so here's some pictures of Isaac from Paranatural to illustrate my point.

Hey, life's hard when your hair is made of lasagna noodles

(also your mother is crazy and a wormhole ate your dad and spit out a space emoji).

Last edited:
Let's be honest, there's just not enough you can do with Pokemon Snap to make a full game in 2017. You can complete the original Pokemon Snap in about an hour. It might make a $0.99 phone game I guess.. but we have Pokemon Go already, which basically does the same thing only infinitely more successfully.

I don't really see many of the spin-off series lasting too much longer to be honest. Many were one-offs in the first place. If there's one sub-series that has several more retail-price games in it, it's Pokken Tournament - just shuffle the roster, tweak the mechanics and it's good as new. Well, it requires a bit more work than that, but I'm hopeful of seeing PT2, or some other Pokemon fighter, on the Switch.

Let's be honest, there's just not enough you can do with Pokemon Snap to make a full game in 2017. You can complete the original Pokemon Snap in about an hour.
Eh, I wouldn't expect that it would be as big as "regular" Pokémon games, by any means. I was thinking more like a cheap ($10 maybe) downloadable title for 3DS or Switch.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Let's be honest, there's just not enough you can do with Pokemon Snap to make a full game in 2017. You can complete the original Pokemon Snap in about an hour. It might make a $0.99 phone game I guess.. but we have Pokemon Go already, which basically does the same thing only infinitely more successfully.

I don't really see many of the spin-off series lasting too much longer to be honest. Many were one-offs in the first place. If there's one sub-series that has several more retail-price games in it, it's Pokken Tournament - just shuffle the roster, tweak the mechanics and it's good as new. Well, it requires a bit more work than that, but I'm hopeful of seeing PT2, or some other Pokemon fighter, on the Switch.
Sorry if I sound rude, but I think you lack imagination if you can't see anyway they can improve on Pokemon Snap to make it a longer game with indepth (but not too complex) mechanics. Also it would probably be a $40 title at most, being a spin off and probably not as long as a full budget (that said, the main series Pokemon games aren't really full budget either). At the risk of wishlisting, here are some ideas they could do to improve/extend gameplay:

1. Instead of an island let us explore various locations around all the regions, both in the main games and original ones.
2. There are different routes you can take for each location, all with their own unique set of Pokemon meaning you'll need to play that location several times to not only get better pictures but also those Pokemon that can only be found going down certain routes.
3. Include a lot more camera and tool upgrades that'll help you take pictures, maybe even unlock unique Pokemon poses or new routes you couldn't access before.
4. Now that we have so many Legendary Pokemon you can have them be "boss battles"; chasing after them and trying to get around their obscuring gimmick to snap a picture of them. You could even have completing a "boss battle" unlock more locations or give access to another more challenging boss battle.
5. Include social aspects. Able to share photos you've taken, have leader boards, maybe even hold global missions where every week or so a course if picked and you compete with others to try and get the highest score (the missions may even have certain gimmicks you need to follow).
6. Main Game connectivity. If you do a good job why not have maybe a Pokemon you took a picture of having followed you and you can send it to your main game. Or maybe you'll find items you can send to your main game. They could even be prizes for the above mentioned global missions.

Last edited:
When stripped of context, Pokemon Snap is really just a rated-G rail shooter. You are on one track, have to shoot moving targets, limited ammo film, alternate ammo types (food/pester balls).

Give it some triple-A love and you could make a pretty decent game out of it. Or the least scary Fatal Frame game ever. But I can easily see a $40 game coming out of it.

Considering half of things I do to get a perfect shot of monsters in Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I can assuredly say the market hasn't moved past a new Pokemon Snap game.

Not pictured: me immediately dying in one hit.

Sorry if I sound rude, but I think you lack imagination if you can't see anyway they can improve on Pokemon Snap to make it a longer game with indepth (but not too complex) mechanics. Also it would probably be a $40 title at most, being a spin off and probably not as long as a full budget (that said, the main series Pokemon games aren't really full budget either). At the risk of wishlisting, here are some ideas they could do to improve/extend gameplay:

1. Instead of an island let us explore various locations around all the regions, both in the main games and original ones.
2. There are different routes you can take for each location, all with their own unique set of Pokemon meaning you'll need to play that location several times to not only get better pictures but also those Pokemon that can only be found going down certain routes.
3. Include a lot more camera and tool upgrades that'll help you take pictures, maybe even unlock unique Pokemon poses or new routes you couldn't access before.
4. Now that we have so many Legendary Pokemon you can have them be "boss battles"; chasing after them and trying to get around their obscuring gimmick to snap a picture of them. You could even have completing a "boss battle" unlock more locations or give access to another more challenging boss battle.
5. Include social aspects. Able to share photos you've taken, have leader boards, maybe even hold global missions where every week or so a course if picked and you compete with others to try and get the highest score (the missions may even have certain gimmicks you need to follow).
6. Main Game connectivity. If you do a good job why not have maybe a Pokemon you took a picture of having followed you and you can send it to your main game. Or maybe you'll find items you can send to your main game. They could even be prizes for the above mentioned global missions.
not to mention the mere act of putting in more than 63 mons would extend gameplay lmao

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I hope that Game Freak starts giving old Pokemon not named Eevee new evolutions again. And I hope they buff Zen-Mode for Darmanitan or Forecast for Castform.
Or at the very least stop giving Eevee any new evolutions. All but three are terrible, design or competitive-wise.

Zen Mode seriously needs a buff, and while Castform too needs a good buff... it's a gimmick - a buff is too unlikely to happen.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I hope that Game Freak starts giving old Pokemon not named Eevee new evolutions again. And I hope they buff Zen-Mode for Darmanitan or Forecast for Castform.
I agree 100%. A lot of old Pokemon could really use an evolution, such as Dunsparse. New evolutions are a great way to make certain lines more useful. As for Zen Mode and Forecast, I can't see a buff anytime soon because they're mostly gimmicks that appear to be left in the dust. A real shame if you ask me, but I think this isn't as unpopular as it may seem, I know a lot of people who would love the same.

Yeah, that's not an unpopular opinion at all. Many people are vocal about how much they'd like to see older pokemon get new evolutions, myself included. Who didn't totally expect or hoped for Alomomola and Luvdisc to be connected somehow only to be disappointed?

Anyway, so I'm not completely off-topic: I think Fearow is the better early bird pokemon. Damn Pidgey doesn't learn any half decent flying-type moves till midgame. I blame the anime for this.

I was thinking of new evolutions of old Pokemon as possibly no longer a popular opinion because I feel Gen 4 really put way to many for my taste and Mega Evolutions or Alola Forms were design-wise a lot more appealing than just a new evolution. But the advantage of new evolutions is obviously not to need to buff their stats massively and the previous forms can still abuse Eviolith.

As for the gimmicky abilities I mentioned, Darmanitan is already a good or decent Pokemon so buffing that one ability that nobody uses doesn't seem like a big deal. I personally think increasing its activation condition at 75 % or lower health would be a good start, since you could just abuse opposing Steath Rocks. Though I doubt that alone would be enough to make it viable. But with a lot of new abilities in Generation 7 such as Schooling and Power Construct showed that Game Freak has a lot more options now than they used to in previous gens and I can see a lot of potencial even buffing something like Unown with a single new ability in the upcoming future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)