Unpopular opinions

I don't really mind if they get remade. I care more about the game being playable on what is the current system at the time and remakes are a way to make this possible. It'd be better if they found a way to just directly port games, but remakes aren't always a bad thing. An example is HGSS, poor level curve aside, its probably one of the best Pokemon games in the main series right now and I'm thankful they made it.
But DPP cartridges are still playable on the 3DS; just not online, if that's what you're referring to. Also, I'm pretty sure no DS/3DS games are playable on the Nintendo Switch, so by going with the logic you presented, basically EVERY handheld Pokemon game will be needing a remake for the new console.

People love that shit though, myself included. You remember all the "Hoenn Confirmed" memes? GF makes easy cash by modernizing an existing game while pleasing millions of fans who have nostalgic attachment to said game. I agree that allocating resources to new and original ideas is probably better but I don't mind remakes at all.
I'm just worried that making DPP remakes will start a precedent with the series. BW remakes will most likely happen years later, followed by XY and SM. It's, to me, really lazy and unwarranted at this point. RB, GS, and RS remakes were necessary because, for starters, the gameboy games couldn't be connected to the GBA titles or play on the DS, while RSE were no longer playable on the 3DS.

But DPP cartridges are still playable on the 3DS; just not online, if that's what you're referring to. Also, I'm pretty sure no DS/3DS games are playable on the Nintendo Switch, so by going with the logic you presented, basically EVERY handheld Pokemon game will be needing a remake for the new console.
DPP won't be remade for the 3DS, but its much more likely to be a Switch title where, as you said, no (3)DS games are playable. Obviously everything won't be remade but when a game goes from playable to unplayable (DPP in this case with the Switch transition), a new remake will probably be made, just like the other three remakes.

I'm just worried that making DPP remakes will start a precedent with the series.
ORAS basically confirmed that remakes aren't going to die. I would not be surprised if BW remakes followed in Gen 9 or whenever.

I have a gut feeling that Pokemon USUM will be a financial flop. An acclaimed flop, maybe, but the nonexistent hype, awful marketing, as well as sharing its release date with the next Call of Duty game will probably combine to create a disaster for game freak.

Unless they're just trying to torch the generation and run, which is also likely.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Does it count if I said my favorite Pokémon is Charizard, and Mega Charizard X is my favorite Mega? I ask this because every time I see these kinds of threads, everyone's quick to bash Charizard, almost to the point where I think it's a popular idea to hate on it. I don't just see it here, but pretty much everywhere on the internet :/

We don't need DP remakes ffs. Why does everyone keep asking for them? We should be advocating for new and original stories, not constant rehashes of older games. If this keeps up, we'll be seeing SM remakes pretty soon.
No, cause my favorite Pokemon is also Charizard. :) Though I prefer Mega Charizard Y over X, mainly design wise but wouldn't mind to have a Mega Charizard Z that combined the design/stats/Ability of Y but gave it the typing/coloring of X.

Hm, DP remakes are interesting case. Aside from new types, Mega Evolution, and Z-Moves the games haven't much changed from how DP played. In addition, as the fandoms reaction to ORAS story is any indication, what people should be clamoring for would be a Platinum remake as that's the one with the "complete" story and the Distortion World.
But back to the question at hand. Are they needed? Of course not, after HGSS we technically didn't need any remakes as all the Pokemon we available (albeit after some hoops you had to jump through). However remakes do give GF a "second chance" to retell the story of those games, adding and change things they either wanted to do originally or think would help expand upon the world and story now that they have more experience (especially with storytelling) and better technology. Let's be honest here, we would all love to explore all the regions like how we did with Alola, in full 3D with nothing chibified. If Sinnoh is the first old region to get this treatment, alright, as long as they make it visually pleasing as well as expand upon the world, story, and characters (and maybe adding in a thing or two new things like Mega Evos or Z-Moves) then I'm all for it.

I'm lowkey probably the only one who doesn't love the Pokemon Adventures manga. I feel as if it's unnecessarily edgy or wild at times. (but A cutting arboks in half, zombie gastlies, everyone freezing to death, being directly named after the games!!, A LONER BOY WITH MEGA KANGASKHAN, dittos turning into humans, poliBO, EXBO, ZaPMoLCUnO, gym leaders being evil!!11!! are all amazing!)
I can understand that. While the Pokemon Special is closer to a depiction of the Pokemon World I'd like to see than the anime's (actually, Generations/Origins is the closeset since they actually follow the games closely), at the same time I do agree some decisions they've done is just plain odd. I'll grant them the changes they did for Gen I to III as there wasn't much story to go on though I have to wonder if they do regret some of these decisions with how the games have developed and the hoops they had to jump through to get the manga matching the games as close they can. However it also has done some things which confused me on why are they doing it aside just to be different from the games. Mainly this is for BW2 (while I like the idea one of the playable characters was a former member of Team Plasma, I don't like the way they handled the other be a super spy with eccentric behavior habit and outranks Looker. They also sideline Hugh harder than even the games, he's no longer a childhood friend so his impact is lessen) and XY (really? The main male character got so traumatized by a batch or reporters asking him questions he became a shut in? Also they tried making Team Flare look threatening, HA! Though I do give them creative points for forcing the characters to go on their journey: Xerneas and Yveltal destroying the hometown as they're battling each other).

The sales for Ultra Sun/Moon will probably be fine. I'm using the financial performance for Black 2/White 2 as a precedent. I don't think there was a solid marketing campaign for that game, either. In addition, Black/White Version left people with mixed views regarding the plot and the fact you don't access older gen Mons until you beat the game. And Pokemon wasn't as accepted by the masses since this was pre-Go. Despite that, it went on to become the 3rd best selling DS title (per Bulbapedia).
What USUM has going for it is that Sun/Moon are more widely accessible compared to Black/White, probably because the Alola forms reigned in nostalgic fans. In addition, Pokemon Go is still a popular app, which means people interested in the app may give USUM a "go". So the public is more open to Pokemania than B2W2 times.
And I don't really see a conflict sharing the same release as COD; I imagine you believe people will only choose one or the other because of $.
So yeah, I think the titles will still make an excellent profit.

Last edited:
It's a Pokemon game. The power of that one word alone will be enough for it to make a profit and fast forward its sales into the millions. It would be something spectacular to somehow make a main series Pokemon game that didn't make a profit - something that I think is literally impossible to happen unless they have multiple successive generations of abominations called a Video Game.

The similarities between USUM and BW2 are pretty apparent. From what I've seen, a lot of the marketing for both games featured the fusions between the mascot legendaries and the tertiary legendary, they both introduce their natures as sequels with a prefix/suffix (assuming you consider the number 2 a suffix) and they are both coming off of entries in the Pokémon series that were met with mixed reception. By that logic, the success of USUM might even surpass SM.

I suppose that I might just be grasping at straws, but I honestly haven't seen two Pokémon games from different Generations with this many similarities in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose that I might just be grasping at straws, but I honestly haven't seen two Pokémon games from different Generations with this many similarities in a while.
The fusion stuff aside in a limited way, they aren't meaningful similarities. There's no connection between those elements of BW2 and the things that made BW2 good, so there's no reason to think they imply USM will be good in similar ways. I'm certainly hoping for the best, but the simplest explanation at this point is that there isn't a whole lot of real new stuff to show.

I have to agree, Gallade in particular was a stellar example of the new evolutions to old mons.

I'm probably a little biased though. :P

MOD EDIT: Double posts merged. Please use the Edit button next time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I actually liked Team Flare. Credible villains? Of course not, but as a goofy gang of incompetents they were pretty fun. I get the feeling they weren't supposed to be enjoyable that way, but they are -- I think I have a soft spot for ridiculous, eccentric villains that just can't be taken seriously.
No, I'd say the enjoyable parts of Team Flare was suppose to be taken from their goofiness. It's why them having Lysandre and his culling genocide plan revealed to be their leader and goal was such a sharp turn that it caused story whiplash. As I said in the past, it felt like their was two ideas for the villain team: one that was a silly group akin to Team Rocket who's goal is simple (to gain wealth and power) and another who is serious and have a complex motive which dangers the entire world. However they couldn't decide which to do so they took the aspects of both they liked and smoosh them together (the wacky grunts and the complex, serious leader)... and it didn't work.

I don't understand why Team Flare was called Flare, and why they were in Red ... Especially with a lack of Fire type pokemon
I think it's a combination of a lot of things that makes more sense conceptual. Obviously their eccentric behavior more comes from the homonym "flair". Where the fire-related "flare" comes from may be from how they plan on doing their genocide: when the Ultimate Weapon fires it looks like a giant fireball. Though it is odd that they made the fire relation but did barely anything with it, only Lysandre has anything close with his signature Pokemon being male Pyroar but even than his Mega Pokemon is a WATER-type (what was wrong with Mega Houndoom?).

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Unpopular opinions... Well, I really can't stay for sure if they are unpopular but here I go!:

-Lillie is an overrated character
-I think S/M's story is even worse than X/Y's one, it's pretentious, slow, and the "best" moment are just manipulative emotion
-Z-Moves > Megaevolutions, by a wide margin
-Just by some specific cases, I dislike how megaevolution were executed, it a) bring the power creep to another level, b) ruined a Pokemon' last chance to be useful or c)... They're Mega Rayquaza or Primal forms

Last edited:
No, I'd say the enjoyable parts of Team Flare was suppose to be taken from their goofiness. It's why them having Lysandre and his culling genocide plan revealed to be their leader and goal was such a sharp turn that it caused story whiplash.
That kind of sharp turn can be done well, I think. Having Lysandre appear to be this wonderful person and Team Flare appear over-the-top on the surface only for both to be much more of a threat than previously imagined, while perhaps a tad cliche, can still be executed well.

XY, of course...didn't pull it off.

I actually liked that Gen 4 gave us lots of evolutions to old stuff. I like ways to breath new life into old stuff. Apart from Lickilicky that thing sucks.
It really was nice, especially since most of the Pokemon that got them were ruthlessly mediocre Johto mons that really needed them.

I wish they'd kept doing that instead of just sort of giving up on the concept entirely (except for Eevee that one time, because reasons), most of the mega evolutions for 1/2-stage Pokemon could have just been regular old evolutions, albeit toned down a little.

It really was nice, especially since most of the Pokemon that got them were ruthlessly mediocre Johto mons that really needed them.

I wish they'd kept doing that instead of just sort of giving up on the concept entirely (except for Eevee that one time, because reasons), most of the mega evolutions for 1/2-stage Pokemon could have just been regular old evolutions, albeit toned down a little.
Weavile, Togekiss, Mamoswine and most importantly, Gliscor... all amazing. Another reason I loved Gen 4, previously being a Johto fanatic.

I think the only additions to older gen lines in DPPt that I prefer to the original designs are Tangrowth and Mantyke. Tangrowth is a really fun design and it becomes ridiculously bulky on the physical side. In addition, it acquires Power Whip, which might be one of my favorite moves in the game. Mantyke is just adorable.
I am fine with Honchkrow, Leafeon, Mime Jr and Bonsly.
I can do without the rest.

Edit: Totally forgot about Froslass, Electivire and Dusknoir!

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
That kind of sharp turn can be done well, I think. Having Lysandre appear to be this wonderful person and Team Flare appear over-the-top on the surface only for both to be much more of a threat than previously imagined, while perhaps a tad cliche, can still be executed well.

XY, of course...didn't pull it off.
I think it was actually pulled off well in Pokemon Rangers: Guardian Signs. Throughout the game you're facing against the Pokemon Pinchers, a team who used to be smaller groups of thieves who lately formed together and started using technology that can control Pokemon (they also have what are essentially flying scooters). They're a threat but you're able to handle them and many of the grunts are as incompetent or silly as ones from main series teams. For a while things to be going as you'd expect, you travel around Oblivia stopping the Pinchers and meeting friendly NPCs along the way.

However things get serious when you meet the head admin of the Pinchers, Purple Eyes. His introduction was him violently attacking the senior Ranger in the region (he had an artifact that the Pinchers were stealing to awaken the Winged Mirages) but after defeating him you then meet the REAL leaders behind the Pinchers. Some of the NPCs you met while traveling around Oblivia was a four elderly people: Doctor Edward (a physician who you meet making a house call), Kasa (I think she was a fashion designer or something, I don't remember much about her), Arley (an lumberjack who in one mission you heard went to "stop" the Pinchers but never came back so you go and find him), and Hocus (a magician who entertains the kids of Oblivia). They're all kind and sometimes provide assistance with your mission... but it's all a masquerade. It's revealed that the four were actually a former group of expert Pokemon thieves known as "The Sociatea". Originally, after becoming too old to keep thieving, they did retire to the peaceful lives you saw them living and were happy... but they grew nostalgic for their younger days and they were reaching the end of their life. They heard about the legends of Oblivia, including steel armor that controlled Pokemon and a golden armor that made you immortal, so they formed "The Sociatea" again and united the Pinchers to get them the Golden Armor and using technology developed from the steel armor to control Pokemon so they could take over the world. It really gets dark as the The Societea then summons the Sky Fortress, an ancient floating fortress equipped with a cannon that they used to DESTROY AN ISLAND (the island was only inhabited by Pokemon, however it was not only the first island you started your journey in Oblivia on but was also the home island or your Pokemon partner, Pichu. And Pokemon were still living on it, though its a kids game so they were able to get off it in time thanks to a friendly boatmaker/carpenter having made boats for the Pokemon to use if they ever wanted to go to the other islands).

It was rather a surprising twist and I felt done well. You didn't expect it and their motivation felt believable (they didn't want to die and missed their youth, if anything taking over the world was a secondary goal and only did it because, eh, why not?). Course the game adds a second twist where Purple Eyes comes back (Purple Eyes has a sort of superiority complex and, before the rising of the Sky Fortress, Edward told him he was just a pawn that couldn't even do his job), steals the golden armor pieces (each member only wore one piece of the golden armor), and takes control of the Sky Fortress's Mewtwo (yeah, the Sky Fortress had a Mewtwo in it) and uses it to make the members of the Societea vanish (though after defeating it and bringing down the Sky Fortress the were all found floating in the middle of the sea and picked up (and arrested) by the Ranger Union). But still it was all done better and, more importantly, subtlety than XY because if you didn't think Lysandre was the leader of Team Flare after one look at him & your first meeting has him rambled about being better than everyone else than you should take that blindfold off (how are you even reading this?).

But still [Guardian Signs] was all done better and, more importantly, subtlety than XY because if you didn't think Lysandre was the leader of Team Flare after one look at him & your first meeting has him rambled about being better than everyone else than you should take that blindfold off (how are you even reading this?).
At worst, the conversation with Diantha where he tells her she should stay beautiful forever (or his idea thereof) should've been the moment. I'd say that scene should've been taken out, but that would also kill about 90% of Diantha's character (and it's an actual contrast, too, with her accepting her age gracefully).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Diantha barely has a character in the first place, so removing that scene wouldn't exactly be a huge loss.

Though Lysandre's character design is so blatantly tied to Team Flare that doing so wouldn't really fix anything.

Last edited:
My problem more than anything is that Lysandre's motive and Team Flare's Modus Operandi don't really have any discernable correlation. Team Flare just seems like they're generic show-offs concerned with image, attention, etc. Lysandre has a more nihilist "the world is doomed with humans" outlook and thus set about effectively trying to cull the population.

I don't see how these schools of thought correlate to even make some kind of weird warped version for the grunts. With Jessie/James/Meowth in the anime, they're certainly goofier than most of the other TR villains, certainly than Giovanni when he gets involved, but they have the same basic goal in mind: steal Pokemon and use them so Team Rocket can take over the world. It just happens that the main trio is played for laughs because they're a recurring threat and we're used to dealing with them, similar to random team grunts in the games. Lysandre feels like a sloppy twist because his motivation doesn't match how his team acts even in an abstract manner, and unlike someone like Ghetsis, that contrast isn't played as a betrayal.

To borrow from Plasma and grant some leniency with the repetition of this scenario, a better "swerve" with Lysandre would be if his team was some kind of Plasma style human or Pokemon extremist group. The grunts engage in the misdemeanors we deal with throughout the game, sabotaging reserves, "catch and release" from things like the daycare, etc., but Lysandre takes a more extreme solution than N's extreme-but-honorable approach of attaining power. Lysandre decides that Humans/Pokemon can never live well with the other, so he implements the plan to wipe out said other. Still extreme enough to stop them, and there's a connect in motive even if not in threat level or mood.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)