Uxie QC [0/3]

[Overview]
  • Though it may not be your first choice as a lead Pokemon, Uxie's movepool and great defense stats can make it viable for RU, setting itself apart from other Stealth Rock users.
  • It has access to many utility moves, allowing it to be an effective, yet underutilized pivot and stealth rock setter.
  • Uxie has access to Thunder Wave and Yawn, which cripples the opponent more while switching out against Pokemon with typing advantages with U-Turn or sacrifice itself with Memento.
  • The pivot/utility Pokemon also has a niche in setting fields/weather like Rain Dance. Unlike other Rain Dance setters, it has the great bulk to set it.
  • Uxie also has immunity to ground type Pokemon thanks to Levitate, which is nice facing the many other SR users that are ground types.
  • However, Uxie's offensive presence means that it can't be relied on as a decent attacker.
  • Also, it has no reliable recovery whatsoever, which can cause more issues towards its role as a utility.
  • It can also be susceptible to Taunt, shutting down its utility roles. Even with Mental Herb, it might get suspected to getting taunted twice, which can shut down another one of its utility roles. Finally, it can become setup bait for many Pokemon in the tier.

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Yawn/Thunder Wave
move 4: U-Turn
item: Leftovers
ability: Levitate
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Stealth Rock is a good move for Uxie, since it has the bulk to carry it out against the opponent's field.
  • Psychic is Uxie's main damaging move, allowing Uxie to damage Kommo-o and Chesnaught more easily.
  • Thunder Wave can be utilized to cripple faster Pokemon that can threaten Uxie, like Zoroark or Sharpedo, or any other fast Pokemon, like Swellow and Feraligatr.
  • Yawn can be used to make opposing Pokemon like entry hazard removers and Pokemon like entry hazard removers and Pokemon with SE like Heracross and Pangoro have tendencies to switch out, giving Uxie a chance to use U-Turn to grab momentum to switch to Pokemon of your advantages.
  • U-Turn can be used to switch out from threats like dark types while dealing some damage to them at the same time, but be aware of slower Pursuit users still being able to damage to it.

Set Details
========
  • 148 speed EVs are used to outspeed max speed Hoopa and Cloyster, either crippling them with Thunder Wave or threatening them with Yawn.
  • Max HP and 108 defense EVs, alongside a Bold nature, could be set to take on the many physical attackers in the tier.
  • Leftovers is recommended for Uxie, as it is the only form of recovery it has.
  • Levitate, the only ability of Uxie, is useful, as it can attempt to pivot through or cripple Pokemon without having to take damage or get slowed down from entry hazards other than Stealth Rock.
Usage Tips
========
  • Uxie's great bulk allows it to be able to switch in against the many other leads that can't do much to Uxie, being able to either cripple them with Thunder Wave or threaten them with Yawn, giving it more chances to use Stealth Rock.
  • If Uxie has Yawn, it is a good idea to attempt to use it against Rapin Spinners from the likes of Donphan and Dhelmise or Defoggers from the likes of Mantine and Gligar.
  • Keep in mind that since Uxie has no reliable recovery, you should think twice before constantly switching it in mindlessly.
Team Options
========
  • When planning to use Uxie as a mid game pivot/utility, you can have fighting types like Chesnaught, Heracross, and Kommo-o attempt to filter out dark types from the likes of Umbreon and Sharpedo.
  • Other offensive orientated Pokemon like Swellow and Glalie-M can appreciate a free switch from a slow U-Turn.
  • Uxie can look forward to Escavalier to filter out Magic Bounce Espeon and trap it with Pursuit.
  • If a Rain Dance moveset is chosen, water types like Kabutops and Omastar appreciate the support from Rain Dance.
  • If Uxie has Memento, setup sweepers like Linoone and Flygon may appreciate the lowering of their opponent's attack and special attack stats.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Uxie can use Psyshock instead of Psychic, to damage Pokemon like Dragalge and Roserade more easily.
  • The lead Pokemon can have Memento to sacrifice itself after setting up Stealth Rock and helping setup sweepers to endure hits from the opponent. Darkinium Z can be paired with Memento to sacrifice itself to lower the opponent's attack stats while healing a switched in teammate.
  • Uxie may have a dual screens role along with packing Light Clay, but Bronzong's better suited at that job.
  • It can also serve as a field setter, having a role for setting up Trick Room. Mental Herb is recommended for this set, almost guaranteeing that it'll set up Trick Room due to its decent natural bulk. However, Mental Herb takes away Uxie's only form of recovery, significantly taking away its bulk. Running minimum speed for the set is preferred.
  • Toxic gives Uxie the ability to attempt to either wear down bulkier opponents or set sweepers on a timer.
  • Colbur Berry can be equipped to negate damage from dark type moves like Pursuit, but it'll remove its only form of recovery.
  • Knock Off is an option for Uxie, removing items that other Pokemon might need, such as Torkoal's Heat Rock, Gligar's Eviolite, or Registeel's Leftovers, but it's not easy trying to fit that into movesets.
  • Heal Bell gives Uxie a role to heal its Pokemon while then U-Turning.
  • Dazzling Gleam can be used to damage dark types, including Pangoro, which Uxie can OHKO. However, the lack of STAB, along with the mediocre special attack stat, can't help Uxie do much against some other dark types.

Checks and Counters
===================
  • Dark Types: Pangoro, Zoroark, Sharpedo, and Honchkrow threaten to 2HKO Uxie with their dark type STAB moves, plus are immune to psychic type moves, but note that they can be crippled by Thunder Wave or be threatened to be put to sleep by Yawn. However, Sharpedo and Zoroark, being pretty frail, may not appreciate U-Turn that much. Umbreon can wall Uxie, even if it has Signal Beam or Dazzling Gleam, as Uxie does little to it whatsoever.
  • Ghost Types: Hoopa, Doublade, and Dhelmise can give trouble to Uxie, as Uxie can't do much damage to them, plus the first two can attempt to set up on it. However, Uxie can attempt to cripple them with Thunder Wave or threaten them with Yawn.
  • Bug Types: Escavalier can threaten to OHKO Uxie with Megahorn, even without Choice Band. A +1 Durant can rip through Uxie with X-Scissor almost all the time.
  • Taunt Users: Though uncommon, fast Taunt leads like Froslass, Archeops, and Aerodactyl can shut down Uxie's non-damaging moves and proceed to set up entry hazards while Uxie either attempts to do damage or switch out. Other Taunt users like Comfey can Taunt it at ease and set up on it.

Last edited:
Not a QC but, there's just a lot of illiteracy as well as small errors

[Overview]
  • "While Uxie may not be your first choice as a Stealth Rock Pokemon" the phrasing of this is slightly off, Uxie isn't a 'Stealth Rock Pokemon', it's a Pokemon that utilises Stealth Rock.
  • "which makes it viable for RU." say, "which can make it viable in RU".
  • "Momento." it's memento lol
  • "Also, it has no reliable recovery whatsoever, which sets more problems to its jobs." this is pretty vague, try something like "which can cause more issues towards serving its role as a _______".
  • If I were you I would mention Rain Dance at least somewhere in here, one of Uxies main niche over other Rain Setters is its natural and sustainable bulk.

[Set Comments]
  • To be more concise, I would rephrase: "Thunder Wave can be used against Pokemon that can threaten it like Honchkrow and Zoroark" to "Thunder Wave can be utilised to cripple faster Pokemon which can threaten Uxie, namely _______"
  • The segment about U-Turn needs some work, mention how it gain momentum and pivot out against opposing Dark-types that want to switch in against Uxie.
  • I'm not going to go into to much detail with the rest, but a lot of these need to be more concise and better explained I guess.
[Usage Tips & Team Options]
  • This segment is really short, too short. Mention how it's great bulk allow it to switch in against a lot of common mons and take advantage of their lack of ability to really do anything to Uxie and take advantage of that to set up rocks or cripple them with T-Wave or Yawn.
  • For TO, comment on how Kingdra really appreciates the support of Rain Dance.

[Strategy Comments]
Other Options

• First striking thing that I see is how you've used "Uxie" a lot. Try and avoid that by using different words to substitute "Uxie".
  • "Uxie may have a dual screens role along with packing Light Clay, but Bronzong and Registeel are better suited at that job, and screens aren't that great in the RU metagame." Registeel literally never runs Dual Screens, and the last part about how screens aren't good in the 'RU metgame' is fruitless, I'd just remove it.
  • I would honestly acknowledge Toxic as a somewhat viable option, being able to take on much bulkier opponents and how its able to put sweepers on a timer.
Checks and Counters

• Mention Taunt here, Pokemon like Comfey can switch in at ease and shut down Uxie all while proceeding to set up.

lol i hoped this helped

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
ThatRandomPerson42

"Colbur Berry is an item Uxie can carry in order to heal instantly when 25% or less HP, but that will remove its only form of recovery."

Is this for real? Seeing this lack of attention worries me. Do you not know what this berry does?

Remove the check. Some stuff hasnt been fixed yet after reading quite a bit. Here is the check I stamped for reference: https://pastebin.com/iRQefM5f

Take your time, avoid copypasting since this should be on your own words, look for proper information about berries cause that Colbur point is incorrect, and some grammatical mistakes here and there (some sentences are hard to follow). I will have a closer look on this.

Please don't implement unless qc has given it the go. Just doing it for the heck of it

[Overview]
  • Though it may not be your first choice as a lead Pokemon, Uxie's movepool and great defense stats can make it viable for RU, setting itself apart from other Stealth Rock users.
  • It has access to many utility moves, allowing it to be an effective, yet underutilized pivot and stealth rock setter.
  • Uxie has access to Thunder Wave and Yawn, which cripples the opponent more while switching out against Pokemon with typing advantages with U-Turn or sacrifice itself with Memento.
  • The pivot/utility Pokemon also has a niche in setting fields/weather like Rain Dance. Unlike other Rain Dance setters, it has the great bulk to set it.
  • Uxie also has immunity to ground type Pokemon thanks to Levitate, which is nice facing the many other SR users that are ground types.
  • However, Uxie's offensive presence means that it can't be relied on as a decent attacker.
  • Also, it has no reliable recovery whatsoever, which can cause more issues towards its role as a utility.
  • It can also be susceptible to Taunt, shutting down its utility roles. Even with Mental Herb, it might get suspected to getting taunted twice, which can shut down another one of its utility roles.
I would also discuss about Uxie's Speed stat because I would say the combination of Uxie's overall solid bulk coupled with its 95 Speed stat separates itself from the rest. Either the others are bulky and slow, or fast and frail.
Okay, you mentioned this in the Overview but where is the discussion about it further down in the analysis? I really don't see any point of mentioning Uxie taking on the role of a weather setter if it's not discussed anywhere (likely in OO). The idea is if it's something important that is mentioned, it needs to be included in OO if it's not in the main set.
You should also discuss about Uxie's Psychic typing being pretty bad defensively because it is threatened by those that it's weak to.
I think just saying how susceptible to Taunt is fine. The opponent will likely go for another Taunt anyway to shut down Uxie.

Moves:
- Switch Thunder Wave and Yawn comments. If Yawn is slashed before Thunder Wave, it should be mentioned first.
Yawn can be used to make opposing Pokemon like entry hazard removers and Pokemon like entry hazard removers and Pokemon with SE like Heracross and Pangoro have tendencies to switch out, giving Uxie a chance to use U-Turn to grab momentum to switch to Pokemon of your advantages.
- This sentence reads oddly since you repeated yourself and I have no idea what you mean by "Pokemon with SE."

Usage Tips:
Uxie's great bulk allows it to be able to switch in against the many other leads that can't do much to Uxie, being able to either cripple them with Thunder Wave or threaten them with Yawn, giving it more chances to use Stealth Rock.
- You should also talk about how Uxie's bulk and decent Speed stat allow it to function as a lead. Also, you would want to set up Stealth Rock early-game immediately to start dealing some residual damage. However, Uxie should be wary of those it's at a disadvantage against. Things such as Pangoro or Heracross for example.
If Uxie has Yawn, it is a good idea to attempt to use it against Rapin Spinners from the likes of Donphan and Dhelmise or Defoggers from the likes of Mantine and Gligar.
- Honestly, I would say it can be okay to use Yawn again since the move pretty much force switches. Opposing Pokemon doesn't want to usually stay in and deal with sleeping turns. This is a good way to rack up entry hazard damage if Stealth Rock is on the field if you tend to predict the opponent on switching out. But also say here if you choosing not to, Uxie can U-turn.
- Uxie should also want to avoid Knock Off, takes a lot of damage and loses its Leftovers recovery.
Keep in mind that since Uxie has no reliable recovery, you should think twice before constantly switching it in mindlessly.
- Uxie is utilized as a defensive pivot so switching into resisted attacks (such as Fighting moves) or weak attacks should be fine.

Team Options:
If a Rain Dance moveset is chosen, water types like Kingdra appreciate the support from Rain Dance.
- Kingdra is banned from RU. Use a different example. Something like Seismitoad. Then again, not sure if this should really be needed anyway and doubt it should be in Team Options.
Uxie can look forward to Escavalier to filter out Magic Bounce Espeon and trap it with Pursuit.
- I'm going to assume you mean if Espeon were to switch in from one of Uxie's support moves you can switch into Escavalier out of Uxie to Pursuit trap it?
- You should mention some wallbreakers (even slow ones are fine too) and any set up sweeper that appreciate the Thunder Wave support that Uxie provides along with Speed control.
- Fairy-types are also another thing that can check Dark-types for Uxie.
- Fire-types to remove Durant and Escavalier off the field.
- Pangoro and Sharpedo and take on Doublade for Uxie.

Other Options:
The lead Pokemon can have Memento to sacrifice itself after setting up Stealth Rock and helping setup sweepers to endure hits from the opponent. Darkium Z can be paired with Memento to sacrifice itself to lower the opponent's attack stats while healing a switched in teammate.
- It would be helpful to mention an example or two of any relevant sweepers that can make use of Uxie's Memento to set up.
Uxie may have a dual screens role along with packing Light Clay, but Bronzong's better suited at that job.
- I'm pretty sure that Bronzong doesn't usually run dual screens since it's more of a Stealth Rock setter.
Colbur Berry can be equipped to negate damage from dark type moves like Pursuit, but it'll remove its only form of recovery.
- Colbur Berry doesn't negate damage, it lessens the damage dealt to it.
Dazzling Gleam can be used to damage dark types, including Pangoro, which Uxie can OHKO. However, the lack of STAB, along with the mediocre special attack stat, can't help Uxie do much against some other dark types.
- Dazzling Gleam doesn't OHKO Pangoro (I don't think I need to use a damage calculator for this I'm sure). Like you mentioned in the sentence after it, Uxie lacks Fairy STAB and its passive Special Attack stat hinders it from even OHKOing a threat that's 4x weak to it. At best Pangoro is 2HKOed by Dazzling Gleam.

C&C
- I would be careful mentioning Pangoro, with that EV spread it has a good chance to OHKO Uxie with Knock Off given that it's running Choice Band set.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)