Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

So I am new to vgc and was looking at the 2017 rules and under case 4 in section 5.4 it says that Pokemon in safari balls and sports balls are considered illegal I was wondering why this is. For example you can catch gible and riolu in HG/SS in the safari zone and with the new way the balls are passed down if you catch a male of those and then transfer them up and breed with a female that you can catch in sun and moon wouldnt those be considered legal. The same can be said about sports balls you can catch a pinsir in the bug catching contest transfer it up and breed down.
I think that rule was changed recently

So what's with the surge in Togedemaru usage?
A team with the Togedemaru Gyarados duo won Colinsville Regionals, even though I don't think this is why it's risen in usage.

William Tansley got Top 8 at the Latin American International wit FAKEPG using Togedemaru as the "E" (Electric mon), paired with Specs Fini. I think this is when Togedemaru was used more often.

You may ask, why Togedemaru over Tapy koko? It's personal preference. Togedemaru supports the AFK by neutralizing Tapu koko, but it makes the FAKEPG team even weaker to Garchomp and Kartana.

Togedemaru has access to Fake out and Encore which make it a really good support. But as I said it comes down to personal preference. Assault vest Tapu koko is a really good support too, with Nature's madness and Sky drop.

Any tips on using Lurantis?

I've just hatched a shiny Magikarp and using the swap method am looking to get a Romantic (I adore the shiny colour scheme). It's going to have the HA if that's any help...

Well aware it's probably like C tier at best buy any tips would be appreciated!

how do you beat that gimmicky palossand set? smeargle uses shuriken on weakness policy palossand with water compaction, raises its stats by like four stages

how do you beat that gimmicky palossand set? smeargle uses shuriken on weakness policy palossand with water compaction, raises its stats by like four stages
Hit it was a super effective special attack? It's not fast so you could 2HKO it quite easily I expect. Grass, Water, Ice, Ghost or Dark attack should be easy enough

Palossand's typing is pretty bad when it comes to dealing with special attacks.

I'm out of touch with the VCG meta and attending a Regionals in a few weeks.
Does Magic Bounce Espeon reliably achieve anything right now, or will it be a waste of space on the team?

I'm out of touch with the VCG meta and attending a Regionals in a few weeks.
Does Magic Bounce Espeon reliably achieve anything right now, or will it be a waste of space on the team?
Baton passing Eevee's special z-move to stored power Espeon and ez sweeping

I want to try out Togedemaru and use a Fake Out / Nuzzle / Spiky Shield / Zing Zap style set, but I'm not sure what nature or how to EV train it

I've seen bulkier spreads with a defensive nature and a sitrus berry, and I've also seen full speed and attack invested sets with Sash or balloon

What is more effective?

I want to try out Togedemaru and use a Fake Out / Nuzzle / Spiky Shield / Zing Zap style set, but I'm not sure what nature or how to EV train it

I've seen bulkier spreads with a defensive nature and a sitrus berry, and I've also seen full speed and attack invested sets with Sash or balloon

What is more effective?
The full attack full speed focus sash set is generally the best--the common ways to KO togedemaru (Garchomp eq/tec rage, Arcanine flare blitz, Kartana sacred sword) will still OHKO through significant bulk investment. With max attack Zing Zap can do at least decent damage and keeps togedemaru from being dead weight after it uses fake out.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
How is that a helpful answer? You don't know what team I'm using which may benefit from Crobat (admittedly without move tutors it's subpar)
crobat doesn't have super fang or tailwind, the two moves that made it relevant last year. What niche does it even have left? It can't even KO koko with a STAB super-effective attack, for example, and its lost the only good moves it had as a supporter besides, like, quick guard. And quick guard isn't even useful this year considering how rare fake out and priority are, thanks to lele.

crobat doesn't have super fang or tailwind, the two moves that made it relevant last year. What niche does it even have left? It can't even KO koko with a STAB super-effective attack, for example, and its lost the only good moves it had as a supporter besides, like, quick guard. And quick guard isn't even useful this year considering how rare fake out and priority are, thanks to lele.
It was more for the fast Taunt. Life Orb max attack investment easily OHKO's Bulu and Lele. Fini is a 2HKO without being threatened back. Koko is a speed tie and Crobat has a 94-112% chance of OHKOing it and that's very shaky I agree. But with Fake Out support....

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
It was more for the fast Taunt. Life Orb max attack investment easily OHKO's Bulu and Lele. Fini is a 2HKO without being threatened back. Koko is a speed tie and Crobat has a 94-112% chance of OHKOing it and that's very shaky I agree. But with Fake Out support....
Lots of leles are EVd for physical defense these days, so that OHKO isn't guaranteed.

If you want a fast poison-type attacker, there are better options like nihilego, gengar, and salazzle. Two of those learn taunt as well.

How is that a helpful answer? You don't know what team I'm using which may benefit from Crobat (admittedly without move tutors it's subpar)
Probably Inner Focus, while Fake Out is rare in VGC17 running Sub is even rarer, plus when opponents Fake Out they will most likely target the Flying types since they are not protected by Psychic Terrain, but Inner Focus on Crobat prevents that.

Plus Inner Focus prevents flinches from Rockslides from Aerodactyl and Scarf Chomp or Chomp under Tailwind

Why does Showdown simulator tell me it's not legal for my Milotic to have Mirror Coat for VCG17 rules? It's an egg move from corsola or a couple of other mons.

Why does Showdown simulator tell me it's not legal for my Milotic to have Mirror Coat for VCG17 rules? It's an egg move from corsola or a couple of other mons.
Maybe you typed in Magic Coat accidently? That's a gen 6 exclusive tutor move.

There are no event Milotic that could forbid compatibility with egg moves, so I can't think of a circumstance in which Mirror Coat wouldn't be legal.

Ok, im relatively new to breeding, so i apologize in advance if this a obvious question. I have a friend who wants me to breed a male 31 iv atk, 31 iv speed shiny Pikachu with Volt tackle and wish. This wouldn't be a problem, but he wants it by Wednesday. Is that even possible? I thought breeding was primarily a luck based thing, what are the chances i could accomplish that with that deadline?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Ok, im relatively new to breeding, so i apologize in advance if this a obvious question. I have a friend who wants me to breed a male 31 iv atk, 31 iv speed shiny Pikachu with Volt tackle and wish. This wouldn't be a problem, but he wants it by Wednesday. Is that even possible? I thought breeding was primarily a luck based thing, what are the chances i could accomplish that with that deadline?
That's a better question for this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/orange-islands-sqsa-thread.3603112/

Pikachu is only barely viable in vgc17, and even then, it only runs very offensive sets (with fake out). It doesn't have the bulk to be using wish.

It's RNG/luck dependant yes but there are factors you the player can do to make the odds more favorable.

Such as using items like the Destiny Knot, Everstone and Power Weight items to make the IVs and Nature more coherent

As for shininess you can affect that using the Masuda Method.

However speaking as a veteran player what your friend is asking for cannot assuredly be done in a given timeframe.
Yeah you can probably get the natures and IVs done today even, but shininess even with the Masuda Method is completely RNG dependant, there is absolutely nothing you can do to get a shiny Pokemon definitely within so-and-so time, it's completely random, it could take you 10 minutes to hatch one, it could take you 6 years to hatch one.

It's like winning a lottery, the outcome cannot be predicted

That's a better question for this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/orange-islands-sqsa-thread.3603112/

Pikachu is only barely viable in vgc17, and even then, it only runs very offensive sets (with fake out). It doesn't have the bulk to be using wish.
Thank you for the direction, im new here, i wasn't sure where to post questions like this, i was referred here by a staff member lol. Im not entirely sure my friend is aware of what's viable in the metagame, it was just a request he made. :)
It's RNG/luck dependant yes but there are factors you the player can do to make the odds more favorable.

Such as using items like the Destiny Knot, Everstone and Power Weight items to make the IVs and Nature more coherent

As for shininess you can affect that using the Masuda Method.

However speaking as a veteran player what your friend is asking for cannot assuredly be done in a given timeframe.
Yeah you can probably get the natures and IVs done today even, but shininess even with the Masuda Method is completely RNG dependant, there is absolutely nothing you can do to get a shiny Pokemon definitely within so-and-so time, it's completely random, it could take you 10 minutes to hatch one, it could take you 6 years to hatch one.

It's like winning a lottery, the outcome cannot be predicted
That sounds about right, i was afraid of that. The shiny aspect is the only thing i was really worried about. He'll just have to make do with what i can accomplish; that or breed one himself. Thank you for your time, both of you. I really appreciate it :heart:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)