VGC 17 Tapu lele + Pheremosa Hyperoffense

This is a team based around the core of Tapu lele and Pheremosa, The two together have great offensive synergy as Pheremosa can break past steels for lele whilst lele provides psyhchic terrarin for Pheremosa making it immune to priority moves.

Firstly I started off with Tapu lele, Tapu lele serves as my revenge killer and a potential late game cleaner, with the addition of choice Scarf Lele outspeeds some of VGC's fastest pokemon from Pheremosa, Tapu koko and Kartana. As well as being very fast Tapu lele also hits very hard and provides psyhchic terrarin to nulify priority moves.

Edit:
Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 28 HP / 60 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power Fire

Relevant Calculations:
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 204-240 (111.4-131.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 28 HP / 60 Def Tapu Lele: 108-128 (72.4 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 28 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele in Electric Terrain: 109-130 (73.1 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Next I added Pheremosa to complete the Lele Pheremosa core, Pheremosa is the fastest mon in Vgc outside of choice Scarf mons, It also hits ridiculously hard with it's stabs.

Pheremosa also supports Tapu lele by being able to break past steels types and it appreciates Lele's psyhchic terrarin as it is very fraill

Edit:
Pheromosa @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U/turn
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Relevant Calculations:
252+ Atk Pheromosa All-Out Pummeling (195 BP) vs. 244 HP / 92 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 252-296 (131.9-154.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

With these two being very fast I concluded that trick room teams may become a problem so I decided to add Snorlax!

Snorlax appreciates all the damage coming from Pheremosa and Lele as late game it becomes easy for it wall mons and dish out huge damage after a belly drum.

Edit:
Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 100 HP / 28 Atk / 244 Def / 132 SpD
Brave Nature
- Curse
- Return
- Protect

- Recycle

Relevant Calculations:
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 68 HP / 108 SpD Snorlax in Psychic Terrain: 108-127 (44.2-52%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Gluttony Figy Berry recovery

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 68 HP / 108 SpD Snorlax in Psychic Terrain: 205-243 (84-99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Gluttony Figy Berry recovery

+1 116+ Atk Snorlax High Horsepower vs. 228 HP / 52 Def Gigalith: 110-130 (58.2-68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 116+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Tapu Fini: 93-111 (52.5-62.7%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Now I Decided to add Arcanine.

Arcanine provides intimidate and great utility in Will-O-Wisp and Snarl making it eaiser for Snorlax to sweep late game and provide a switchin for steel types for Lele
Edit:

Arcanine @ Mago Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 188 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful
Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Snarl
- Protect

Relevant Calculations:

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 244 HP / 188+ SpD Arcanine in Electric Terrain: 109-129 (55.6 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kartana appreciates the weakening of Steel types from Pheremosa and Lele, and with the addition of assault vest it has more longevity whilst being a good offensive threat.

Edit:
Kartana @ Scope lens
EVs: 116 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 132 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Substitute
- Detect

Relevant calculations:
4 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 90-106 (49.1-57.9%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO

4 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Araquanid: 91-108 (52-61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Garchomp Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 116 HP / 4 Def Kartana: 121-144 (81.2-96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 116 HP / 4 Def Kartana: 120-144 (80.5-96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 116 HP / 4 Def Kartana: 42-50

Lastly I decided to add Gyarados.

Gyarados provides me with another intimidate user and the chance of another late game sweeper it's utility in taunt is also nice.

Edit:
Gyarados @ Groundium Z
EVs: 52 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Protect

Relevant Calculations:
-1 252+ Atk Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 52 HP / 76 Def Gyarados: 148-176 (83.6-99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

196+ Atk Gyarados Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Muk-Alola: 264-312 (124.5 - 147.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

In conclusion, I think this is a pretty good team, but I think it needs some fine tweaking and some one else's view on the team, as I'm somewhat new to VGC and may of not taken cerain things into consideration.

Thanks in advance ^_^

Attachments

Last edited:
Pretty good start.

Tapu Lele's moveset and item seem pretty good for the rest of the team; however, you may want to look at reworking its EV spread to be a little bit bulkier. I don't think you need to go max Speed with Choice Scarf (enough to outspeed neutral max speed Pheromosa) so you can put the rest of the EVs into its bulk.

Pheromosa @ Fightinium Z
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Lunge/U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Lunge is a nice STAB option but I'm not sure what you're trying to hit with it that you don't already hit with Pheromosa/other members of the team. Ice Beam was something I thought of but with a Choice Scarfed Tapu Lele I don't feel a big need for it. I tabbed U-turn on this slot because I think it may provide to be useful for managing your board position.

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Belly Drum/Curse
- Return/Facade
- High Horsepower/Protect
- Recycle

Don't forget you should probably have 0 Speed IVs under Snorlax so it can function under Trick Room as well as possible. Some people have added a few IVs into Speed to outspeed other Snorlax, but that's up to you. Your team is fairly frail and offensive overall so consider running a tankier Curse variant on Snorlax instead of Belly Drum (though Belly Drum is still very good). I'm not a big fan of Facade myself because it offers less damage, but with Belly Drum it's something that I think can be viable. If you decide to Curse, then you should run Return as the power you lose from choosing Facade is fairly significant without the Belly Drum boost. Protect is an option of Belly Drum variants of Snorlax because they pretty much do all the damage they need to with their Normal move. You won't be able to hit Ghost types but I feel that the trade off is worth it.

Arcanine @ Mago Berry
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Snarl
- Protect

Flamethrower on Arcanine doesn't deal very much damage as opposed to Flare Blitz. You may think that you need Flamethrower because your only Special Attacker now is Tapu Lele but Arcanine's Flamethrower is pretty pitiful. Mago Berry offers a lot more longevity than Sitrus Berry so I opted for it. You're running Timid for some reason with no Speed EVs which boggles my mind and you also have Attack EVs on a Special variant. I'm not sure what you're trying to do here with your EV spread. I gave you an EV spread that I used a few months ago. It's basically a very tanky Arcanine on the SpD side. The SpD and HP EVs are to live a Choice Specs Tapu Lele most of the time (6.3% of the time it does not) with the least amount of HP EVs needed for maximum HP from the Mago Berry. With two Intimidate users I don't think you need tons of Def investment either. I'm not sure what you were trying to outspeed with Timid but I don't see much you need to outspeed so there's basically some EVs for Speed creep.

Kartana @ Focus Sash/Scope Lens
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike/Substitute
- Sacred Sword
- Detect

I don't really like Assault Vest because it allow basically every single Fire attack to one shot Kartana with no way of protecting itself. I'd recommend either Focus Sash or Scope Lens on Kartana. Scope Lens on Kartana brings Leaf Blade's chance to crit to 50%. You should run Substitute on a Scope Lens variant for longevity. Substitute destroys Focus Sashes, so keeping Smart Strike is what you should do if you use Focus Sash. Detect over Night Slash because Night Slash isn't really hitting anything other than I think Marowak which your team can hit fairly hard already.

Gyarados @ Waterium Z/Groundium Z
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Flamethrower/Earthquake
- Protect

Flamethrower seems rather odd but it's a strong counter to Kartana that even won the Oceania International tournament. Earthquake is an option as you don't have any other Ground moves on the team. Earthquake would be very useful against Muk. Groundium Z would be very useful with Earthquake to get around hitting yourself. It should also one shot Muk.

I didn't really go in depth into your EV spreads unless it was blatantly obvious that it needed fixing. In the future when you're sharing your team with others you need to show people what the EV spreads do to better help people understand what you're trying to achieve with your team in order to help others help you more.

Pretty good start.

Tapu Lele's moveset and item seem pretty good for the rest of the team; however, you may want to look at reworking its EV spread to be a little bit bulkier. I don't think you need to go max Speed with Choice Scarf (enough to outspeed neutral max speed Pheromosa) so you can put the rest of the EVs into its bulk.

Pheromosa @ Fightinium Z
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Lunge/U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Lunge is a nice STAB option but I'm not sure what you're trying to hit with it that you don't already hit with Pheromosa/other members of the team. Ice Beam was something I thought of but with a Choice Scarfed Tapu Lele I don't feel a big need for it. I tabbed U-turn on this slot because I think it may provide to be useful for managing your board position.

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Belly Drum/Curse
- Return/Facade
- High Horsepower/Protect
- Recycle

Don't forget you should probably have 0 Speed IVs under Snorlax so it can function under Trick Room as well as possible. Some people have added a few IVs into Speed to outspeed other Snorlax, but that's up to you. Your team is fairly frail and offensive overall so consider running a tankier Curse variant on Snorlax instead of Belly Drum (though Belly Drum is still very good). I'm not a big fan of Facade myself because it offers less damage, but with Belly Drum it's something that I think can be viable. If you decide to Curse, then you should run Return as the power you lose from choosing Facade is fairly significant without the Belly Drum boost. Protect is an option of Belly Drum variants of Snorlax because they pretty much do all the damage they need to with their Normal move. You won't be able to hit Ghost types but I feel that the trade off is worth it.

Arcanine @ Mago Berry
Careful
Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Snarl
- Protect

Flamethrower on Arcanine doesn't deal very much damage as opposed to Flare Blitz. You may think that you need Flamethrower because your only Special Attacker now is Tapu Lele but Arcanine's Flamethrower is pretty pitiful. Mago Berry offers a lot more longevity than Sitrus Berry so I opted for it. You're running Timid for some reason with no Speed EVs which boggles my mind and you also have Attack EVs on a Special variant. I'm not sure what you're trying to do here with your EV spread. I gave you an EV spread that I used a few months ago. It's basically a very tanky Arcanine on the SpD side. The SpD and HP EVs are to live a Choice Specs Tapu Lele most of the time (6.3% of the time it does not) with the least amount of HP EVs needed for maximum HP from the Mago Berry. With two Intimidate users I don't think you need tons of Def investment either. I'm not sure what you were trying to outspeed with Timid but I don't see much you need to outspeed so there's basically some EVs for Speed creep.

Kartana @ Focus Sash/Scope Lens
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike/Substitute
- Sacred Sword
- Detect

I don't really like Assault Vest because it allow basically every single Fire attack to one shot Kartana with no way of protecting itself. I'd recommend either Focus Sash or Scope Lens on Kartana. Scope Lens on Kartana brings Leaf Blade's chance to crit to 50%. You should run Substitute on a Scope Lens variant for longevity. Substitute destroys Focus Sashes, so keeping Smart Strike is what you should do if you use Focus Sash. Detect over Night Slash because Night Slash isn't really hitting anything other than I think Marowak which your team can hit fairly hard already.

Gyarados @ Waterium Z/Groundium Z
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Flamethrower/Earthquake
- Protect

Flamethrower seems rather odd but it's a strong counter to Kartana that even won the Oceania International tournament. Earthquake is an option as you don't have any other Ground moves on the team. Earthquake would be very useful against Muk. Groundium Z would be very useful with Earthquake to get around hitting yourself. It should also one shot Muk.

I didn't really go in depth into your EV spreads unless it was blatantly obvious that it needed fixing. In the future when you're sharing your team with others you need to show people what the EV spreads do to better help people understand what you're trying to achieve with your team in order to help others help you more.
Regarding the Arcanine spread it must off messed up during teambuilder, What I was using is this spread: (But I'll use yours)

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 148 HP / 4 Def / 164 SpA / 28 SpD / 164 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Snarl
- Protect

And I think Earthquake is a good option an Gyarados even though taunt is nice utility hitting Muk is really nice.

Finally I'll experiment with Kartana as I personally really like Assault Vest but I'll give the other two options and try, I'll also give snorlax 0 Speed IVs and Lele the added bulk.

Thanks for the rate, also I get all my spreads from here http://www.trainertower.com/vgc-17-ev-spread-compendium/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)