SM OU Volcarona Overdrive

Since it was introduced in gen 5, Volcarona has been one of my favorite Pokemon in the entire series. Very cool typing, amazing design, and one of only a handful of Bug Types that is actually a huge threat. I've watched as it has gone between OU and BL, and with the introduction of Z-Crystals, it seems that Volcarona has come back at full force. Today I am bringing you an OU team that supports Volcarona, and as I've tested it, the team has tested pretty decently. I would love to hear some ways to improve it!

TEAM:

Volcarona (F) @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Volcarona has always been a decent special sweeper thanks to it's unique typing and access to one of the best set-up moves in the game, Quiver Dance. With Max EVs in Special Attack and Speed, Volcarona can hit hard while still moving fast and out-speeding anything will less than 100 Speed that isn't fully invested (Unboosted). Fire Blast not only provides Volcarona with a powerful STAB move, but it serves as the base of Inferno Overdrive, which can deal massive damage damage at plus 1, especially with Fire Blast as it's base. Unboosted, Inferno Overdrive OHKO's Defensive Landorus, Special Defensive Celesteela (Though that's not much of a surprise), 2HKO's Defensive Mew (OHKO's at plus 1)...yeah, it can do a lot of damage. Giga Drain provides Volcarona with a good way to hit Water types that want to threaten it out (Giga Drain 2HKOs Defensive Tapu Fini at Plus 1), while finally Hidden Power Ground gives Heatran a nice big middle finger. This is the main sweeper of the team, and the rest of the team is made to help support Volcarona for a mid-to-late game sweep.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Let's get the big issue out of the way; Rock Types are Volcarona's worst nightmare. That's where Ferrothorn comes in. This is the basic Defensive set meant to set up Rocks, stall with Leech Seed to keep it healthy, while using Power Whip and Gyro Ball to be able to hit some Pokemon back who may want to taunt it. As long as Stealth Rocks aren't up, Volcarona can lure in most Rock types, and some Water Types, where Ferro can come in and either force a switch, letting me set up Rocks or Seeds, or deal some damage. I know some people love running Rocky Helmet for extra pain for any Physical Attackers, but leftovers does keep Ferrothorn healthy, which is important. Power Whip hits Rock, Water, and Ground Types, while Gyro Ball deals with the plethora of Fairy Types that have come into the Meta, guaranteeing a 2HKO on Tapu Koko, which can't do anything meaningful in return unless it is running HP Fire, OHKO's Swords Dance Tapu Bulu, and has a very good chance of OHKOing the Banded variant (Again, Bulu can't do much in return), OHKOs all variants of Lele (Again, unless it is running HP Fire, doesn't do so well) And Fini is dealt with with Power Whip.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bonemerang
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Will-O-Wisp

Alolan Marowak is a good check for a variety of Pokemon. Volcarona is a popular target for Thunder Wave, and if it gets paralyzed, it's game over. Thanks to Marowak's access to the Lightning Rod Ability, it can switch in and take not only a Thunder Wave meant for Volcarona, but really any Volt Switch or Electric move in general. This bulky attacking set is great as it puts pressure on a lot of Pokemon, especially since it is packing Will-O-Wisp. Often times, Marowak lures in the ever present Landrous, which usually gets crippled by Will-O. On the EQ I can typically switch into another Teammate that I will discuss at a later date. Bonemerang is a nice Ground move that I prefer over Earthquake simply because of it being able to KO Sturdy and Sashed mons that would otherwise survive. Flare Blitz is the most power STAB option here, while Shadow Bone provides nice secondary STAB should the need arise.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick
- Draco Meteor

Originally, this was a Life Orb set that acted as an offensive Defogger. Defog is super important on this team due to Volcarona's weakness to Stealth Rocks. However, I was told that Scarfing it would be better, while keeping Defog on for when I trick away the Scarf. I'm not really sure how I feel about this new set, but here we go. Psyshock is nice Psychic STAB that hits for Physical Damage, perfect for annoying Walls like Chansey. Trick is, as stated previously, a way to screw over walls or those trying to set up on Latios. Draco Meteor is probably mandatory on any Latios Set as it does massive amounts of damage on anything unresisted. Latios is a good scarfer, but I'm not sure how well it works with Defog. So far, it hasn't been too bad but again, advice on this would be great.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

My secondary sweeper, Mega Pinsir hasn't lost any of its previous glory despite the nerf to Aerialate, mostly thanks to Mega Pokemon not having to wait a turn before getting their Mega-form speed. Swords Dance gives Pinsir a way to boost its already impressive attack stat while Return becomes a powerful Flying STAB move at max happiness. Quick Attack once again becomes Flying STAB as well as a decent priority move for Pinsir to use. It also gives Pinsir a way to pick off weakened, faster threats before Mega Evolving for a Moxie boost. Finally, Close Combat gives Pinsir a way to hit Steel types. I use it over EQ as it enables Pinsir to still hit Ferrothorn super effectively, among other things.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Acting as a fast Special Pivot, Tapu Koko gives the team some great speed and nice Electric STAB. Thunderbolt hits incredibly hard in Electric Terrain while Volt Switch gives Koko the chance to get out of a bad situation, as well as helping to keep momentum flowing. Hidden Power Ice is a great and nasty surprise for any Zygarde, garchomp or Lando that tries to switch into a predicted Thunderbolt or Volt Switch. Finally, Taunt allows Koko to stop any Stealth Rock, spikes or Set-up Shenanigans, and is particularly useful against Bulky Scizor as it stops it from setting up a SD, defog rocks or roost away damage while 2HKOing it with Thunderbolt, while Scizor cannot OHKO with Bullet Punch (Can't even 2HKO).

I would love to get some feedback on this team, as it has some promise and had tested well. If anyone is willing to help out I'd appreciate it!

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
This is a pretty good team. However, I have some concerns.
Scarf Latios -----> LO
Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Hidden Power Fire / Recover
- Draco Meteor
Scarf Latios is not a reliable defogger and 3 of your mons are rocks-weak. That just won't end well, really. The set I gave still is max/max but with HP Fire/Recover there - depending on whether you want to hit opposing Mega Scizor / Ferrothorn or be able to defog multiple times (without recover you might get at most 2 off).

Speaking of rocks-weak mons, I'd recommend a change from Alolan Marowak to Scarf Garchomp.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw / Filler
Your team needs this to fill the hole made by ditching Scarf Latios. Even with Scarf Latios your team was somewhat weak to Volcarona and this is a good way to stop that. This still discourages Thunder Wave - which, by the way, is not very common - and other Electric types - just beware HP Ice!

You might also want to change Volt Switch to U-Turn on Koko so you can pivot out of Ground-types that will likely switch in to capitalize on your Koko. I'd also go Magnet over LO to prevent it from getting worn down while still retaining good power.

Other than that, your team is good!

Here's the importable with the changes:
Volcarona (F) @ Firium Z
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Draco Meteor

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

This is a pretty good team. However, I have some concerns.
Scarf Latios -----> LO
Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
Scarf Latios is not a reliable defogger and 3 of your mons are rocks-weak. That just won't end well, really. The set I gave still is max/max but with HP Fire/Recover there - depending on whether you want to hit opposing Mega Scizor / Ferrothorn or be able to defog multiple times (without recover you might get at most 2 off).

Speaking of rocks-weak mons, I'd recommend a change from Alolan Marowak to Scarf Garchomp.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw / Filler
Your team needs this to fill the hole made by ditching Scarf Latios. Even with Scarf Latios your team was somewhat weak to Volcarona and this is a good way to stop that. This still discourages Thunder Wave - which, by the way, is not very common - and other Electric types - just beware HP Ice!

You might also want to change Volt Switch to U-Turn on Koko so you can pivot out of Ground-types that will likely switch in to capitalize on your Koko. I'd also go Magnet over LO to prevent it from getting worn down while still retaining good power.

Other than that, your team is good!

Here's the importable with the changes:
Volcarona (F) @ Firium Z
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Draco Meteor

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
Yeah, the Latios set you suggested was my original set. I thought it was wonky turning it into Scarf, so I'll be happy to switch it back. And I like the idea of Scarfchomp for the team, so i'll add that. Thanks a lot for the advice man!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)