SM OU Volt-Turn + Balance (Peaked @ 1570 [Rank 355])

Hey guys, Seis McTossin here with the best team I've created so far in the current Sun and Moon meta. Balance has always been one of my favourite playstyles because I like mindlessly clicking a check to any pokemon that comes in having counters to most of the meta and being able to play around them accordingly.

I recently discovered a pretty decent core, being Tapu Bulu + Toxapex + Alolan-Marowak. A solid FWG core that can switch into most things. Tapu Bulu provides extra recovery for Alolan-Marowak and Toxapex, as well as reducing the damage from ground type moves for 5 turns. This is helpful as it allows Toxapex to better check physical mons such as Mamoswine, Buzzwole etc.

I needed a pokemon that could reliably switch in to Garchomp, as well as a better check to Tapu Lele and Mamoswine as Toxapex still takes a lot from an Earthquake under Grassy Terrain. Mega Scizor seemed to fit the bill, also giving me much needed priority and a potential win-con when set up. However, I haven't really used swords dance all that much, so perhaps a utility set may be better for the team.

At the moment, Celesteela really destroyed the team, as the Marowak set I'm running doesn't threaten it enough. I didn't want to run Magnezone as I felt like Mag is too easily countered currently, but I may be wrong and just too stubborn to not want to run Tapu Koko. But at times when Celesteela gets really annoying, I wish I could just trap that thing.

I wanted another fast, hard hitting mon that could have the potential for a late game sweep/clean up. Scarf Adamant Pheromosa was the first thing that came to mind, as it can also spin away hazards because nothing on the team really appreciates being worn down by rocks and spikes. However there isn't many oppurtunities Pheromosa gets to spin, as it would much rather be clicking another move instead. Anyway, that's as far as I've gotten, but the team can definitely be improved.

Climbed a little bit more, 1602, ranked 244 at the moment.

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Nature's Madness
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

First up is AV Tapu Bulu. I decided on AV Tapu Bulu as a good check to Tapu Koko, Garchomp and any other similar mons. Max Attack and Adamant nature ensures that Tapu Bulu is hitting as hard as it can, whilst still being bulky to be able to take plenty of hits. Grassy Terrain gives Tapu Bulu leftovers recovery as well as boosting his Horn Leech and allowing him to take half from ground type moves, which is helpful for the rest of the team as half of my team is weak to ground types. The 88 Speed ev's are to outspeed max speed jolly Marowak in order to deal at least 63% to them with Rock Slide, as there have been many times Alolan-Marowak have thought they were the counter to Bulu, but they are not. The speed ev's also give Bulu the edge against non-scarfed Magnezone, who when they see that Bulu is AV think they'll outspeed and be able to 2HKO with Flash Cannon, however Bulu OHKO's with Superpower. Nature's Madness is just to deal 50% to targets that check Bulu, however if the opponent has a Celesteela, you're better off doubling to Tapu Koko to try and catch it, as there are no switch in's to Celesteela on the team.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze

Toxapex is a solid mon in the current OU meta, being able to check Tapu Fini, Tapu Bulu, Pheromosa, Kartana, Buzzwole, Azumarill, Primarina, Decidueye, Incineroar... I'm sure you get the picture. Since Aegislash is banned, a good counter Pheromosa isn't mandatory, but it definitely is helpful. Toxapex can eat pretty much any physical hit, and any special hit it doesn't want to take is handled by the rest of the team. I find Toxic more reliable than Toxic Spikes, as there are some targets I would rather be burned than poisoned. Scald because it's the best move in the game it's reliable STAB with the chance to burn. Recover for longevity and coupled with Regenerator, this thing becomes incredibly tough to deal with as it has amazing defenses. Finally, Haze to remove any stat boosts the opponent is trying to gain, whether it's SD Mimikyu, DD Gyarados, CM Tapu Fini etc.

Marowak-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Flare Blitz

Alolan-Marowak is an amazing checks to electric types such as Tapu Koko, Magnezone and Xurkitree, as well as being a soft check to Pheromosa and Celesteela. This particular Marowak doesn't hit very hard as it is a specially defensive set with leftovers. There have been many times where I rather this thing have Thick Club, but I feel like the Leftovers provides it with the longevity it so desperately needs. Fairly standard specially defensive set with Will-O-Wisp for physical attackers (as it isn't really used for chip damage any more, rip 12% burn), Shadow Bone for reliable Ghost type STAB with the chance to lower defenses. Bonemerang for ground coverage and I believe it is the same damage output as Earthquake, just spread across two hits so it can bust subs and possibly sashes, but this thing is very weak without Thick Club. And of course, Flare Blitz for Fire STAB.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 232 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Mega Scizor has always been an amazing pokemon and definitely has it's place on every team it is on. This guy is my second check to Tapu Lele and Garchomp, as well as any other Ground type mon after Tapu Bulu has set up the Grassy Terrain. Very standard bulky Swords Dance + U-Turn set, however I'm not sure if this set should be something else as I don't set too many Swords Dances up during games. This mon was sort of just thrown on the team to give it some switch initiative and priority, as well as a potential win con of sorts, however it could be tweaked to fit the team better, or perhaps a different mon in it's place.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Really standard Life Orb Tapu Koko. This used to be a Psychium Z Xurkitree that would sweep through teams, however I felt that Tapu Koko was more reliable, and fit the team better as a hit and run type of pokemon that threatens Toxapex and Celesteela (which otherwise the team can't deal with) as well as a revenge killer with a very solid speed tier. Thunderbolt is mandatory Electric STAB, so is Volt Switch to be able to gain initiative on any switches. Dazzling Gleam is amazing Fairy STAB, a real shame this didn't get Moonblast, I don't know why only two of the Tapu's did but this thing didn't but oh well. I pray for the day that this gets Moonblast in an event, then this mon will truly be a force to be reckoned with. And Hidden Power Ground to hit Alolan-Marowak on the switch, as well as getting the OHKO on Scarf and Specs Zone, and dealing a considerable chunk to AV Zone that has been running around lately.

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Lunge
- Rapid Spin

Probably one of my favourite mons this gen, Choice Scarf Adamant Pheromosa. Choice Scarf still retains Pheromosa's ridiculous speed tier, as well as still outspeeding every other scarf mon (and other speed boosted pokemon such as +1 Mega Gyarados and Mega Sharpedo and Slush Rush Sandslash) in the game, hitting an impressive 601, however, the use of Adamant means every time Pheromosa gets a kill, it gains an attack boost, making it more powerful and hopefully, getting a late game sweep. U-turn is for the obvious switch initiative, High Jump Kick as it's most powerful Fighting type STAB and being able to sweep late game. Lunge is the secondary Bug type STAB, but is used for picking things off late game, as it appreciates the attack boosts it gains when it kills something. Rapid Spin was just a filler move in order to remove hazards, however Poison Jab may be more viable for a late game sweeping tool if they have a fairy in the back, say Tapu Fini or Primarina or Clefable.

All in all, this is my most successful team yet, however it does have many flaws, such as hazards, and Celesteela being a real issue as Tapu Koko gets worn down very quickly. Thank you all for reading, and any criticism would be much appreciated.

Hazards are definitely a problem for this team, especially when they're paired with Celesteela as Tapu Koko gets worn down by switching in so many times to deal with it, and the Life Orb just kills Tapu Koko.
I have no switch-ins to this beast, but I can play around with it by switching to Bulu on the EQ to set up the Grassy Terrain, and then switching to Toxapex or Scizor on the Icicle Crash, and then they can threaten it out with their STABs respectively

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Nature's Madness
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze

Marowak-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Flare Blitz

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 232 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Lunge
- Rapid Spin

I've accidentally put Sun and Moon OU on here not realising the tag I should have put on here was Non-Pokebank OU. The actual tiers on the Showdown website is OU and Pokebank OU, so I misunderstood and put the wrong tag on. I hope you all will forgive me :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)