Walrus Walrus: The Movie

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
In 33rd: Xicor

Leader - Warrior Inside
50/100

This sounds almost exactly like a song you’ve sent me before, to the degree that I went back to see if you HAD sent it to me before (you haven’t). I think technically this counts as nu metal but it’s generic enough that it’s hard to make any real genre distinction. The strongest opinion I have on this song is that it definitely exists.

Ampharos

In 32nd: Myzozoa

Bjork - Mutual Core
55/100

I want Bjork’s vocals over an instrumental that doesn’t suck, because she’s always great but her backing tracks always kinda suck. This one is not an exception. Didn’t mind the early parts of the song, because I thought there was potential for it to go in a direction that I would like. And then it didn’t. Good effort, Bjork.

Ampharos

In 31st: KnightsofCydonia

Alan Silvestri - Safe House
58/100

Another movie score piece that runs into the same problem that Alette’s did from the last category, in that it’s very forgettable. Picks up a bit in the end, and is overall more exciting than that one was, but I have trouble appreciating this divorced from any sort of context.

Ampharos

In 29th: t om

Sturgill Simpson - All Around You
61/100

I worked very hard to give this song a fair shot despite my immediate and visceral negative reaction to the vocals. Tune those out and the backing to this song is actually pretty cool - cool enough to get it to score this highly, certainly. I just cannot deal with the stereotypically country vocals. Maybe it’s a natural predisposition to react negatively to anything that was forced upon me in great quantities during my upbringing. Shrug emoji.

Ampharos

In 28th: Isa

Mr. Bungle - Goodbye Sober Day
63/100

I don’t think I’m cool enough to get this - frankly I’m not 100% sure what I just listened to. There were definitely parts of it that I liked a fair bit but overall the constant shifting was a bit disorienting. Hard for me to really parse and not really the sort of thing I’m interested in pursuing any further, but pretty cool for the first few listens.

Ampharos

In 27th: RODAN

Justice - Genesis
65/100

Definitely a cool track. I’m just not 100% sure I’m super engaged by it. Kinda felt like it was dragging a bit in parts, which is never what you want in an electronic piece. Earns a few points back on the tail end, with the sick piano breakdown and the neat outro. Just took us a while to get there.

Ampharos

In 26th: Aladyyn

In Mourning - Colossus
67/100

Delete the vocalist from existence and this song is probably top 10. Unfortunately the vocalist exists and is making me regret doing so myself. I just sincerely do not understand the appeal of spending the a full 6.5 minutes growling unintelligibly, or listening to someone else do so. The backing track is still hella cool and I would listen to this song so much if it were an instrumental.

Ampharos

In 25th: Shad

Kinski - Waves of Second Guessing
69/100

Minute 6 onwards would score upwards of 80 on their own. The issue is that it takes so long to get there that it’s hard to justify giving it a score anywhere near that high. That’s not to say the first 6 minutes are unpleasant, but they definitely just sorta fade into the background. Still, the payoff, I’d say, was worth it.

Ampharos

In 24th: shubaka17

Tribe 8 - Wrong Bathroom
72/100

Lyrics drew me in a lot more than the song itself did, which is fairly unusual for me. Got a kick out of the whole thing, really; shame I’m not a crazy huge fan of the generic punk sound. I do really like the bass tone for some reason, so it does earn SOME points for sonic quality. For the most part, though, this one gets all its points from storytelling.
shubaka writes:
(I found that Lyrics https://genius.com/Tribe-8-wrong-bathroom-lyrics helped me with this song) Trying to use the bathroom is a struggle when you look like the other gender. The protagonist realizes just how much of a struggle it is when you look like NEITHER gender, and has to deal with the ridicule of their old friend and other women in the cleaner girls' room, or with the urine all over the place in the boys' room. Out of spite, they leave a bloody tampon on the sink in the boys' room, which is where they meet their new vandal friend, and the protagonist latches on like a shellder to a slowpoke.

Last edited:

Ampharos

In 22nd: Mischief

Sianvar - Substance Sequence
74/100

Not digging this as much as I typically dig prog metal tracks. Think there’s a bit of instability in a lot of the harmonies that’s putting me on edge. Not crazy about the vocals, either; he’s not terrible, but he’s also not someone that I want to listen to often. Still, there’s a lot of really cool guitar work, as is to be expected. Enough, in fact, to propel it fairly high despite its shortcomings.

Ampharos

In 21st: Martin

Pierce the Veil - May These Noises Startle You In Your Sleep + Hell Above
75/100

You already know what I’m going to say about the screaming. Getting too lazy to write it out. To your credit, though, it’s at least limited and doesn’t take up the entire song. The rest of the song is actually pretty interesting from a genre perspective - it sounds like a pop-punk vocalist decided to get together with a prog band and see what they could come up with, and I kinda dig it. A lot of the backing work is really cool, and though the vocalist is pretty generic emo, I have a fairly high tolerance for that style.

Ampharos

In 18th: SketchUp

Cardiacs - Dirty Boy
78/100

I really enjoyed this song while listening to it and then immediately forgot what the song sounded like when it ended. Literally every time I listened to it. I wasn’t quite sure what to do with it in scoring because of that, but somewhere around here seems about right. Good song, just refuses to stick in my brain for whatever reason.

Ampharos

I accidentally forgot to judge Lil Bean's song due to a bookkeeping error. Will be doing so live after the rest of the round is revealed.

In the meantime, to correct placement numbers, we'll be skipping #16.

Ampharos

In 14th: Thingyman

Leningrad - Kolshik
81/100

The music video for this was REALLY cool. The song itself is a bit repetitive but I really like the beat and the barely repressed chaos of it all. There’s a really cool slap bass part that adds on a few extra points. Overall just a fun and infectious song.

Ampharos

In 12th: Dave

Kasabian - Fire
83/100

Ayyyyy Dave escapes the walrus basement! I feel like I’ve probably heard this somewhere before just based on viewcount but I have no recollection of the name or the sound so it’s still gettting the bonus. Overall tone and atmosphere are dope. Whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Probably a one hit wonder but a good one.

Ampharos

In 11th: Granny Pie

Los Campesinos - You! Me! Dancing!
84/100

The vocals knock this down from scoring in the 90s but I’m a big fan of the backing on this one. Indie-ish alt-type guitars are a good way to my heart and this is pretty much just six minutes of that. Fun song, even if the singer fails to realize while lamenting about how he can’t dance that he can’t really sing, either. It’s not like he’s TERRIBLE, just super mediocre. And it’s not enough to drag down the rest of the song that much.

Ampharos

In 10th: Borath the Undulator

Ludo - Rotten Town
85/100

Sounds kinda piratey, I dig it. Ludo has been pretty hit-or-miss for me in the past but I think this one’s a hit - I like the overall tone of the song, his vocals stay in a range which I enjoy, and the backing track is pretty dope. Cool song. Also I accidentally clicked the pillar men link like 5 times while trying to judge this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)