SM UU Wanna take a ride on the Regenerator?

Introduction

If you've read one of my other RMTs then you know that I am not trying to get high up on the ladder, but to have fun playing sets, that not everyone else is playing - while still trying to not get stuck in lower ladder. Winning is fun, you know the deal.
So the basic idea behind this build was to use a defensive core by Moutemoute feature three (!) Regenerator users. Then I looked for some decent synergy to patch up the weaknesses and to give the team at least some offensive power - not being stall, but not behind that offensive in the end. While trying out some Zydog for the Teambuilding Competition Week 72 I was absolutely astonished how good banded 1k arrows was, so I slapped it on there. Still needing Defog and SR the other members followed and completed Dragon, Fairy, Steel typing for the rest of the team.

The Team

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psyshock
The first third of the Regenerator Core is fully defensive, checks Aero, Infernape and Mamoswine and is our dedicated fighting check. Honestly this only mega evolves, when it needs the extra bulk to not die to the next hit and revenge kill - giving it up in the process. Or it actually is the sweeper of the team, which only happened once and is stopped by toxic pretty badly. But talking about it, its basically the only check for a set-up Reuniclus - learned this the hard way...

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Continuing on the Regenerator-Ride we have our check for the likes of Scizor, Zeraora, Altaria-Mega, Beedrill and Tsareena. Puts something to sleep on the switch or toxics to start the chipping. There are games where Amoongus is so important, it can hardly take hits to stay decently healthy - no recovery option sucks hard for this mon...

Mienshao @ Assault Vest
EVs: 100 HP / 156 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
To put the last Regenerator Mon, we have Mienshao: Checking Hydreigon, HJK'ing through ice- and steeltypes and pressuring celebi, who otherwise has an easy time versus us. Fake Out can also serve as a revenge kill option, but basically only vs sashed mons. Speaking of which suicide leads really don't like Mienshao it seems... U-Turn also gives our hitters an easier time to get in relatively safely.

Zygarde -10% @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic
Starting of the part of the team which actually puts pressure on: Here's the dog. I fell in love with it. Once given a free switch-in of a fainted mon or of the Volt-Turn combo we have going on, dog basically presses 1k Arrows and watches something drop or take severe damage. Toxic is a move I might have not clicked once on this though... but this might be the result of 1k Arrows being too good. E-Speed cleans up lategame or revenges a scarfer. Outrage is our way of outspeeding and threatening set-up Latias, who otherwise Z-move breaks through our defensive core easily. Speaking of set-up dragons: DD Haxorus is another mon that takes this team apart...

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Encore
- Defog
Honestly: I am not happy with Whimsicott in this slot. I wanted a fairy and help on the specially defensive side, I still needed a defogger... I played a lot of different mons in this slot, but when I faced some dude on low ladder, running this set (minus defog, plus moonblast) and basically 1v1'ing half my team, I gave it a try. It's alright, but not too good. Prankster gives it a free defog, sub and leech seed. Therefore you can scout for choice locks and only lose the sub hp, you can encore opponents into the wrong move thanks to prankster etc. Leech, encore, sub, as they switch leech again - it's annoying once it gets an opportunity.

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch
I was looking for a steel and a SR-user, so Cobalion came in handy. On an earlier iteration I was using Rotom-Maw and Diancie instead of Whimsi and Coba and really liked the additional Volt Switching from rotom - so I went with a specially based Cobalion. No calm mind, but SR and having a special Z-Nuke. For some reason I catch a lot of opponents switching to there physical wall on this.

Conclusion

Here is the team in action:
Replay: Struggling vs LO Nidoking
Replay: Zydog breaking and Slowbro mini-sweep
Replay: Whimsicott doing work - terrible endgame

It is actually performing quite well, I peaked close to 1450 Elo. While it does not "break" too well and probably can't break through stall (which I dont really mind too much), it is annoying, hard to kill, and giving the switch and chance hits hard of Dog and Coba. In the hand of a better player this can probably go higher. Where I struggle is giving up one of my two "hitters" too early and then falling in a chip and retreat position, which breaks once a single regen-user falls.
Speaking about threats: Primarina. If it has attack investment, I basically have no switch in. I can only try to stall it out with leech seed or toxic. Same goes with some sleep talking variants. I remember a Regice set, which caught me offguard, as I was stalling it out with whimsi and it just rests up on me...
Other problems: Speed control. While we have speedy mons, we have no scarfer and once someone gets an agility, DD or other set up of, we are screwed.
Maybe you can come up with a solution to make this team even better. To be honest, I am really liking this team and it might be the best I have built, given that I dont use the mainstream stuff. I would like to keep all three of the regen-core in the rebuild though, please keep this in mind. If doggy has to go, so be it - I would be very sad though. Very.
Thanks for your help!

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psyshock

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mienshao @ Assault Vest
EVs: 100 HP / 156 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Zygarde -10% @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Encore
- Defog

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Hey again DarwYyn I'm really loving the teams you come up with dude and it is always cool to see Mienshao being given some love. It works extremely well with the likes of Amoonguss and Slowbro forming the regen core with it. Just as you asked I intend to keep this core, however I will be removing the doggy in this rate (Even if I love using that Mon). This is for several reasons which you'll see in the threat list I've provided. As for the issue of speed control, I think that is something that is rather difficult to patch up, especially with wanting to keep the regenerator core imo. Instead I plan to take a more Balanced route with this team instead:

- So Latias is very scary for this team. Even with having AV Shao which I believe eats a +1 Draco it can still rip through most of these other members pretty easily, only really fearing anything from the Dog. Both CM variants can put in work with their respective Z-moves.

- Celebi is pretty much similar to Latias where it beats everything bar one member which is Mienshao, which doesn't OHKO back with U-turn. It is not as threatening as Lati imo, but still scary.

- Only reason I am mentioning Hydreigon is because Whimsicott can't touch it, it also just loses to any Taunt set. Again, you do have means of soft-checking it with Mienshao and I guess Coba, but solely relying on that isn't all that optimal.

Major Changes:

- Okay so this is my first major change, adding MegaLix. I'm still keeping the regen core but simply removing the mega stone from Bro. MegaLix to an extent compresses the roles of Zydog + Cobalion, while giving you an actual answer to Latias. MegaLix acts as your stealth rock user and electric immunity. I was originally going to use a Curse set, but I opted for Fire Fang because Scizor is threatening.

- Okay so with removing your two heavy hitters, I wanted to add something else that can either sweep or break through Balance and Stall. I decided to go with Togekiss for this reason. In general, Whimsicott isn't all that amazing and with it not packing Moonblast it can't check what it's supposed to. Togekiss on the other hand still provides you with an answer to Krookodile, Hydreigon and Kommo-o. This set is utilizing Heal Bell which is nice for this team as most of these members hate Toxic or being Burned. Also gives you a ground immunity.

- My final change was adding Hydreigon mainly because it alleviates the Celebi match-up if it isn't carrying Dazzling Gleam (Scout for this before using it as your counter) and acts as your new Defog user. Also helps vs Gengar, but again be careful of Fight-Z sets. I considered making this your Scarfer, but the team honestly appreciates its breaking potential with the Z-move more and not locking yourself into Defog stops you losing momentum. Dragonium-Z to break Amoonguss, Gligar etc. Darkinium-Z is also something that is worth considering. It doesn't hit as hard but can punish bulky steel types like Aggron and will still hit fairy types for some damage even if small.

Minor Changes:

- Gave Slowbro Lefties with the Mega Stone being used on Lix. Gives it nice passive recovery to keep checking things like Terrakion and Cobalion better.

- Changed your Amoong set slightly. I gave it enough SpD to not get 2OHKO'd by Specs Hydro after SR dmg and also eats a Psychic from full from Prima. Also eats an Overheat from Manec after SR, while still creeping other uninvested base 30s. I gave it Clear Smog over Toxic to better handle set-up sweepers like Scizor and Cobalion.

<Click Sprites for Importable>
I hope you like the changes to your regen squad. This should solve a lot of issues you previously had, bar the speed control ofc but the team is bulky enough to stop most set-up sweepers via a few members on this squad. I really love the ideas you come up with, keep up the good work. If you have any questions, just let me know ^_^

Last edited:
What's good @DarwYyn, took a lil break from editing teams but I'm back and there's no better place to start with another one of yours! I like your builds dude, you're open-minded and got the right mindset when it comes to playing the game. As always I'm gonna start off with a few words and transition into the changes I made to your build.
Tips

Zygarde-10%: Using this 'mon can be a bit tricky, but rewarding when effective. Thanks to its measly 100 base attack it needs a little more support to truly showcase its abilities, so I'd definitely recommend only using this one on a hazard-stacking offense or a heavily momentum based offense.​
Whimsicott: Pretty simple here, no matter how desperate you are for removal do not use this poke.​
Amoonguss: Here I have to advise against using non-Poison STAB Amoonguss, as it goes from being a formidable M-Altaria stop to a less-formidable M-Altaria stop. In addition, since the original build was quite weak to Slowbro itself, you opted to run some creep which was a pretty nice touch in itself.​
Changes

When I started thinking of options I could take, I knew that either one of the Fighting-types or one of the "expendable" regen 'mons (Mienshao / Amoonguss) had to go. My motive for this change is relatively simple, you have enough Hydreigon counterplay thanks to Regenerator being busted and your typings coming together pretty naturally. Here I opted for a CB set on Scizor because I feel this build needs a pivot and some output all-in-one, and there's no better 'mon at that role than the tier's big chief. The spread is to ensure you live a +1 Electrium without any prior chip, and while that is a more unlikely scenario it may very well come in handy.

Now that we have Banded Scizor there's no true use for Zydog on this build, so I opted to replace it for some more Standard glue --- no shame in running standard sets when they work. Scarf Krook is good here because it's pretty much always good, it's one of the tier's most effective trappers and does its job really well versus threats like Latias and Celebi, all while helping improve the team's MU versus some physical attackers thanks to its speed tier and great ability in Intimidate.

Rotom-Heat fits here mainly because its a nice soft check to popular picks like Scizor, Togekiss, and Moltres. It's not necessarily great at Defogging in some people's eyes, but it can fill the role if given the option to, and it does relatively well in the sense that it doesn't let Spikes stay up versus most of the tier's popular Spikers. Once again, pretty straightforward and standard in a similar sense but effective.

A weird-ish set on Amoonguss here, but I do feel the need to address it. So a few weeks back, I made a similar team based around a double-Regen core with Amoonguss and Mega-Bro. Never was satisfied with how the team played or turned out, and after a friendly with Sub Gengar I pretty much trashed the team entirely because it couldn't hold versus Geng. With that being said, Foul Play on Amoonguss specifically for Gengar, but its still handy for Scizor just not so much for Cobalion. Since we have Mega-Bro I don't think Cobalion will be too much of an issue, so that's how I ended up justifying this move. I would tell you what the EVs are for but man... I forgot them shits. I played around in calc for like 10 minutes and then started making this post so that's my bad.

I know how this set looks, it looks weird. Not my set, but a very interesting set from a friend of mine who was testing for an important game that caught my interest. Basically maintains a good VinCune MU while doing relatively well versus fatter builds like Stall in the sense that it doesn't care about being statused and can do a fine job of preserving PP. Slack Off is a necessity on this set because you still need to adequately check Terrakion and Physical attackers. The spread is to guarantee you live a +2 CONT CRUSH after rocks in Mega Form, some Sp.Def, and no creep because it's not like you could do anything versus opposing Slowbro / Amoonguss anyways with Mono-Scald.

Opted for an SD Cobalion set because it does a good job of pressuring common hazard cores or whatnot. Another nice Scizor check and soft breaker if you need it to be. You can opt for Steelium over Fightinium for Amoonguss, Primarina, and Gligar as Fightinium is only for Quagsire and Alomomola.

--------------------​

Another good RMT Darwynn, I like what you put together man and how sometimes it challenges me to think differently about builds that I might have prior experience with. I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out, you can play around with a couple of sets and change them around if need be, but if you do end up using it I hope you enjoy it as much as you did using your original build. GL and keep up the good work, dude.

Last edited:
Hey again DarwYyn I'm really loving the teams you come up with dude and it is always cool to see Mienshao being given some love. [...]

Major Changes:

- Okay so this is my first major change, adding MegaLix. I'm still keeping the regen core but simply removing the mega stone from Bro. MegaLix to an extent compresses the roles of Zydog + Cobalion, while giving you an actual answer to Latias. MegaLix acts as your stealth rock user and electric immunity. I was originally going to use a Curse set, but I opted for Fire Fang because Scizor is threatening.
Hey Twilight , thanks for the kind words.
The rebuild looks good. Breaks my heart though...
First look I would prefer Curse+Gyro on Lix. Should also ease the Scizor Matchup if it's not given a free SD + Superpower (and even if Amoonguss still sponges it too some extend). What was your thinking in going Fire Fang? Can you elaborate some more on that? From my point Scizor is not even that much of a threat...

Hydreigon without choice item looks odd to me. I will have to think about that.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Scizor is a pretty big threat, mainly the SD variant. CB isn't a problem for this squad. Anyways, if it is SD and as you mentioned does have Superpower it really isn't going to help setting up a Curse alongside it. Instead you can drop a bulky SD set to about 30% then Amoonguss or Mienshao can pick it off as Scizor eats a HP Fire from Amoong with enough bulk. Less bulky variants have a chance to just fall over to Fire Fang after rocks. Feel free to test out what you want though, and explore what you pref. As for the Hydra item, Z-move is a lot better imo for this squad than running Scarf. As I said the speed control shouldn't be a problem with the nature of the team and stops you losing momentum in general. Hope this answers your queries ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)