What if the Arceus (and I guess Silvally) formes all had different base stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Huh. I only just realized this is the second hypotheticals thread I've made in the past two or three days. These kinds of discussions have always been my favorite threads to partake in, but I understand that the moderation team has their rules about hypothetical and/or wishlisting content, which is perfectly reasonable. As such, I give the moderation team full permission to do whatever they'd like with either of these thread I made if they find it necessary.

With this disclaimer out of the way, hello again and welcome back to another discussion thread. Since when did I start sounding like a YouTuber while I'm typing these? This is getting out of hand. One thing that I tend to enjoy in video games is when the list of available character options in a game don't feel too similar to other characters within that same archetype. Instead of looking at replacements for similar Pokémon in this thread, however, I wanted to do something a little different. I was browsing through the Pokémon Showdown team builder at one point when I stumbled across a certain "God Pokémon" hanging out in the Ubers crowd:

:bw/arceus:

Arceus has been an iconic piece of Pokémon history ever since its full introduction during the fourth generation in 2009. Just last year, Arceus was also granted some extra time in the spotlight with the advent of its Pokémon Legends game. During its tenure in the franchise, there's always been something that's bothered me with Arceus. In the main series games, Arceus has a base stat value of 120 in all six categories, leading to a record setting 720 base stat total. As of Generations 8 and 9, this is tied with pre-nerf Zacian-Crowned and pre-nerf Zamazenta-Crowned for the highest base stat total any Pokémon was able to have upon immediately entering a battle, since all Pokémon with a base stat total above the 720 mark are currently locked behind some kind of form change that isn't immediately active, such as Mega Evolutions or Primal Reversions. Arceus having what I'll call the highest "natural" base stat total in the game isn't what I have a problem with. After all, this thing was more or less designed to be the final and overall strongest Pokémon in both the games and in official lore prior to the soft reboot Game Freak attempted with Generation 5. The real problem I have is that all 18 of Arceus's formes have the exact same 120 in all six base stat values, when several other Pokémon who can change their natural form in some way have their base stats adjusted in some way.

Something I feel like could give Arceus a bit more flavor in both casual and competitive play is if it was really allowed to flex the title of "I'm the strongest natural Pokémon of every Type in the game", especially if they ever add the Legend Plate to a game with multiplayer battles. Realistically I don't see Game Freak ever doing that for game balance purposes, but what I would find interesting is if all of the different Formes could keep the same 720 base stat total and have those base stats distributed differently for each Type. What this would do is help each Forme feel a bit more unique from one another when trying to decide what kind of Arceus you're trying to raise. For example, Types that want to run a Calm Mind set with STAB Judgment and Recover are rarely going to make use of that base 120 Attack stat. Similarly, Types that like to run Swords Dance or Dragon Dance variants may want some extra Attack or Speed to keep up with generational power creep, especially given how only Arceus-Normal can hold an item that isn't a Plate.

What I'm curious about from the rest of you is what kinds of base stat distributions you would come up with that could best fit various Types of Arceus. I'm particularly think about things like, say, how Steel-Types are known for their high physical Defense, or how Psychic-Types often have high Special stats but lower physical stats. Stuff like that. I'm very interested to see what you're able to come up with, and your reasons for why you chose them, whether that be something for battles, something that fits a theme, whatever it may be. Happy posting, everyone, and thanks again for your feedback.

I would imagine Arceus-Normal is most likely to be the one that keeps the base 120 in all six stats, but hey it's up to you.

Edit: For the sake of game balance, let's also try and set a limit on what the highest and lowest possible base stat value we can use for this thread is. Putting 255 points into two different stats would only leave you with 210 points left over for the other four stats, and that doesn't exactly sound like good game design to me.

Gonna get the obvious ones out of the way:
:bw/arceus-fighting:
120/160/120/80/120/120

:bw/arceus_psychic:
120/80/120/160/120/120

I kept from minmaxing their attacking stats too much because A) I figure 80 has become the new minimum ever since the Wolves, and B) 160 is plenty, especially with those defenses and Speed.

Arceus-Fighting would, at least on paper, struggle more since Judgement is special and its best physical STAB is… Brick Break. In practice tho it’ll probs be fine running a modified EKiller set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)