SPOILERS! "What Isn't A Pokemon Yet" Repository (+ Type Combinations & Super Forms)

In that case, we don't have a good Armadillo Pokemon, do we? I guess shellos / gastrodon is supposed to be a sea slug. Is there a garden snail 'mon that I don't remember?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
In that case, we don't have a good Armadillo Pokemon, do we? I guess shellos / gastrodon is supposed to be a sea slug. Is there a garden snail 'mon that I don't remember?
As Codraroll said, Sandshrew is essentially an armadillo (even is Sandslash isn't).

Same for Magcargo. It's a basic snails, even if its made of lava. Now that doesn't mean in the future we won't have something like a Grass-type Snail that has element of a garden in it design, what it means is that, for what this list is trying to do, Magcargo checks the "garden snails" box so it's already been done.

I guess I get Sandshrew; I just thought it was more mouse (shrew) than armadillo in the same way Whirlipede is more centipede than pill bug. Totally forgot about the slugma line, though.

Last edited:
Hmm, is there anything notable about them? I could point out a few animals on the list similar to them so unless they do something special I feel the animals similar to them would suffice.
Well, the guanaco can be easily grouped with the llama, as it is, in fact, the wild ancestor of that species. Lapwings are more distinctive for the sounds they make than their looks, so no need to include them either. The most unique would be the maras, especifically the Patagonian mara: they are the fourth largest rodents in the world and one of the fastest to boot, when running they are usually compared to antelopes or deer, and in fact they occupy a similar ecological niche.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I guess I get Sandshrew; I just thought it was more mouse (shrew) than armadillo in the same way Whirlipede is more centipede than pill bug. Totally forgot about the slugma line, though.
Sandshrew family seem to be a combination of several animals. Armadillos and pangolins seem to be the main basis, Sandslash's Japanese name being Sandpan with "pan" coming from "PANgolin" (BTW, Sandshrew's Japanese name? "Sand". Just "Sand". Which makes Alolan Sandshrew even funnier).

Well, the guanaco can be easily grouped with the llama, as it is, in fact, the wild ancestor of that species. Lapwings are more distinctive for the sounds they make than their looks, so no need to include them either. The most unique would be the maras, especifically the Patagonian mara: they are the fourth largest rodents in the world and one of the fastest to boot, when running they are usually compared to antelopes or deer, and in fact they occupy a similar ecological niche.
Large rodent, like the Capybara that's on the list?

If anything I would say out of all three the Southern Lapwing would be the most unique, so I'll add it to the list.

I just realized that there actually aren't that many Mega Evolutions, relative to the amount of Pokèmon there are.

Correct me if I'm wrong but:
Johto only has Ampharos, Steelix, Scizor, Heracross, and Houndoom.
Only 2 Pokèmon that don't evolve from a different region.
Sinnoh has Lopunny, Garchomp, Lucario, Abomasnow and Gallade.
I believe Unova just has Audino.
And I believe Kalos and Alola have none...

EDIT: I didn't do Kanto and Hoenn on account of how ORAS exists…and Kanto is…Kanto(i.e. Gen 1)

I just realized that there actually aren't that many Mega Evolutions, relative to the amount of Pokèmon there are.

EDIT: I didn't do Kanto and Hoenn on account of how ORAS exists…and Kanto is…Kanto(i.e. Gen 1)
Kalos has mega diancie.

I came up with an Alolan form for Lucario that's somewhat based off his shiny. He's electric/fighting (which hasn't been done yet) and the blue is replaced with a yellow and orange pattern, similar to Tapu Koko. This is because these particular Lucario serve Tapu Koko as sentries/soldiers.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I came up with an Alolan form for Lucario that's somewhat based off his shiny. He's electric/fighting (which hasn't been done yet) and the blue is replaced with a yellow and orange pattern, similar to Tapu Koko. This is because these particular Lucario serve Tapu Koko as sentries/soldiers.
This is not a thread to discuss your ideas for a Pokemon as that's against Smogon's rules. This thread's purpose is to list and discuss what animals, objects, concepts, myths, etc. could be a basis of a future/existing Pokemon.

Also I'm not even going to address regional variation. Mega Evolution is simple, its a super form of a final stage Pokemon. But regional variants do not have any restraints which you could structure rules around (at least not until they've been made, which at that point there's no point in discussing possibilities).

Do we have any Pokemon based on trolls ( the mythological sort) or giants? Came close with Garbodor, but it ended up being a big pile of garbage. Slaking is the closest thing I can think of ATM for troll and Regigigas for giant.

Also, going through the list, isn't there a Hydra-esque Pokemon in Hydreigon? Multiple heads, reptilian, fits the bill decently.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Do we have any Pokemon based on trolls ( the mythological sort) or giants? Came close with Garbodor, but it ended up being a big pile of garbage. Slaking is the closest thing I can think of ATM for troll and Regigigas for giant.

Also, going through the list, isn't there a Hydra-esque Pokemon in Hydreigon? Multiple heads, reptilian, fits the bill decently.
I feel Troll and Giant might be too general of a term, unless you mean a specific kind.

As for Hydreigon, its more based on the Japanese Orochi than the Greek's Hydra.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've always considered Electivire to be an electric troll, but it might be more closely affiliated with some wacky Japanese folklore monster.

Now, something based on large, Scandinavian trolls, on the other hand, that'd be awesome...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Some Updates:
With Sun & Moon having been out for several months now, I'm removing the spoiler warning.
2. I've changed the "FOSSIL" list to "EXTINCT/FOSSIL" and tidy up the list a bit (as well as changing/removing/adding to it).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Love this thread! What a great idea :) Just a quick post to say there hasn't been a sea mouse pokemon yet! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphrodita A crime if you ask me.

Also I would say that Garchomp is based on a hammerhead shark so we do have one of those.
Thanks!

"Sea Mouse"? Well we already have Marill... *clicks on link* ... that's not quite what I was expecting.

So it's a sea worm. Well we already have a few of those, is there anything interesting about these things that makes you want to add it to the list...

The name of the genus is taken from Aphrodite, the Ancient Greek goddess of love. This is because, when viewed ventrally, the animal resembles a human female's genitalia.
Oh... we already got one of those:

And it's officially acknowledged by GameFreak too (along with Onix looking like a male's genitalia)!

Wait...

The spines, or setae, on the scaled back of the sea mouse are one of its unique features. Normally, these have a deep red sheen, warning off predators, but when the light shines on them perpendicularly, they flush green and blue, a "remarkable example of photonic engineering by a living organism". This structural coloration is a defense mechanism, giving a warning signal to potential predators. The effect is produced by many hexagonal cylinders within the spines, which "perform much more efficiently than man-made optical fibres".
OH, well, yeah, that sounds interesting. Plus it looks interesting enough. Alright, I'll add it.

As for Garchomp being a hammerhead, eh, parts of its designs take from a hammerhead shark but it's not a hammerhead shark Pokemon. And the hammerhead part only re-enforces the jet aircraft aspect of Garchomp, looking more like a plane spoiler than the hammerhead's shark's elongated face.

BTW, just to let everyone know, I have been adding, removing, and changing the list. They're little changes so I don't really post about them, but I am keeping the list maintained. Just recently I fixed up the MAMMALS list, primarily making the "Rodents/Small Mammals" category into just "Rodents" as well as adding in a "Ungulates" category with a "Bovid" sub-category.

Why no Swordfish tho? (though I have an idea of it)
And why no Blobfish?

Love this thread! What a great idea :) Just a quick post to say there hasn't been a sea mouse pokemon yet! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphrodita A crime if you ask me.

Also I would say that Garchomp is based on a hammerhead shark so we do have one of those.
So you're telling me that Garchomp is a Dragon, a HammerHead Shark, and a Jet Plane all at the same time?
(Now I have to decide between this or Hydreigon(#Hydreigonforlifetho))

Last edited by a moderator:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Why no Swordfish tho? (though I have an idea of it)
And why no Blobfish?
For the Swordfish, I can think of two reasons:
1. Marketing! Remember how excited we were when they revealed Komola (a koala) this gen? Or the Tyrunt family (a T-Rex) in Gen VI? Or any buzz that's created when a Pokemon based on an animal that hasn't been made into a Pokemon is announced? They purposely hold back from doing certain animals they know people would like to see as a Pokemon because that Pokemon would then serve as an advertising point. You want the new Pokemon based on an animal you always wanted to see as a Pokemon? Well buy the new games!
2. By doing the above, this also frees them up to do Pokemon based on animals (or other things) they probably wouldn't be able to do if they were just focusing on the popular animals. Coconut crab/yeti crab, bee fly, diving bell spider, filefish/reef triggerfish, purple mangosteen, sand castle, anchor, fairy circle... would we have gotten Pokemon based on any of these if they focused on only the popular animals and objects (and that's just from Gen VII)? Possibly not, or at least not until the franchise would feel like its digging the bottom of the barrel to base Pokemon on.

As for the Blobfish, well it's probably one of those animals that falls into point 2. While I would say well known, there's many other animals people would want to see before the blobfish so it has to hope to be used as a "surprise! We made a Pokemon out of this"! Also it's another fish, we have a lot of fish Pokemon and there's a lot of interesting fish in the world so they probably don't want to create more than one or two fish Pokemon per gen.

Even better - Armaldo.
Armaldo, and its prevo Anorith, are based on anomalocaris with some dinosaur-like features. It's only relation to an armadillo is by name. Why is that? Well when you think about an armored animal, you immediately think armadillo. Since one aspect of Armaldo's design is its shell/scales becoming more armor-like, it was related to an animal which had armor-like shell/scales.

Tyranitar?

Kalos has Diancie

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Minor Change:
I changed the category "Concepts" to "Concepts/Phenomena" due to a lot of the things on the list being, well, phenomena. Maybe later I'll go through it and separate what are concepts and what are phenomena.

Should point out that Necrozma now has a "Ultra Burst", which is basically a Mega Evolution, Just like how Groundon/Kyogre has Primal Reversion. Also the new Pokémon needs to be added under the list of "Pokémon without Mega Evolution" too.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Should point out that Necrozma now has a "Ultra Burst", which is basically a Mega Evolution, Just like how Groundon/Kyogre has Primal Reversion. Also the new Pokémon needs to be added under the list of "Pokémon without Mega Evolution" too.
LIST UPDATES:
Changed "Mega Evolution List" to "Mega/Ultra/Super Form List" and updated the Thread Title to reflect this.
2. Removed Necrozma from "Mega/Ultra/Super Form List".
3. Added Naganadel, Stakataka, Blacephalon, & Zeraora to "Mega/Ultra/Super Form List".

I think we are still missing (Sorry if one already is a pokémon/already is on the list and I missed it):
- Degu
- Serval
- Caracal
- Ocelot
- Sand cat
- Andean mountain cat or Pampas cat (they're probably too similar to warrant two different 'mons)
- A bunch of domestic breeds, like:
-- Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest cat (Other long-haired breeds, like Ragamuffin or Turkish Angora, would probably again look to similar)
-- Japanese Bobtail
-- Sphynx cat (or in general, a hairless cat)
-- German rex (or another curly-haired cat)
-- A more colorful "generic" house cat (since we only have beige or grey Meowth - Maybe a calico or tortoiseshell, red tabby, etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)