What're Your New's Year's Resolutions?

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Share and discuss I suppose.
Personally, I'm going to work on getting more social with others. I've always had a good amount of friends, but I rarely do safe with said friends outside of hanging out at school. I also wanna try to get myself to be more welcoming to new people.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Same as it is every year: new year's eve is a social construct, and I'm already perfect, so don't change anything :blobuwu:

But I do find people's resolutions interesting

kilometerman

Banned deucer.
im going to destroy subjectivity, marxism, and postmodernism once and for all

i have a lot of votes to get first tho

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
  • I want to get a job so that I have some sense of consistent income rolling in.
  • I want to start and grow a YT channel so that I can use it to strengthen my résumé and to help increase my confidence.
  • Just generally get my life in order so that I feel that there is some sense of upward progression rather than just continued stagnation.

• losing weight! ive lost 30 pounds in 4 months without really resorting to diets, so this year im gonna start working out in a daily basis/reducing the amount of food that i eat.
  • studying like crazy so i can get more experienced in the things that i do so i can get a much better in terms of income.
  • not getting threatened by some things that close friends of mine do, things that i consider to be some sort of ascension into adulthood (getting married, having kids, etc) and not beat myself up.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nice, I always look forward to this thread each year.

As usual, I'm really interested in how people's resolutions from last year went; I'd love to see if y'all would like to post again about that.

For me, some things went well and others didn't go as well. And there were other things that I didn't think I was going to do at the beginning of the year, but I ended up doing.

The whole starting a band thing actually happened officially. We're now up to 3 dedicated members and have started on material. Still on that desperate search for a good drummer; anyone else who has ever tried to start a band can feel me on that one. But at least now I can officially tell girls I'm in a band.

I ended up learning bass guitar this year, rather than Trumpet. But I do still have that trumpet so I'm gonna take another go at learning it this time around. Similarly, my Vietnamese didn't phenomenally improve this year, but when my aunt and uncle visited in December, they pointed out a lot of good online resources for me, so I'm gonna try that again.

There were two things I did this year that I didn't plan at the start, and those were to start working out and learning how to cook. Ended up doing both toward the latter end of the year and I was pretty pleased about it. They say it's hard to stick to an exercise routine past a month or so, but I'm glad to say I'm at the point where not doing it feels weird. Which is a nice feeling to have. I lost a pretty significant amount of weight and put on some decent muscle which my family gratefully noticed. Unfortunately I got a lot of it back with all the holiday partying so I need to get rid of it again. :mad:But hey, I already did it once so it should be easier the second time.

My new years resolutions/goals:
  • Continue the progress I've started with my band, my Vietnamese, cooking, exercising, etc.
  • Finally get my driver's license. I'm at the weird realization that I'll have my college degree before my license. Never needed to drive before, but once I go to work, I will (and for #4).
  • Get work and get into grad school. Fortunately, meeting with one of my past professors/mentors last month has given me a lot of direction in this regard.
  • The big thing for me though is to start dating this year. I won't bore anyone with the details, and the people here closest to me already know. But basically dating has always been a somewhat weird situation for me, being a pretty traditional Asian from a moderately traditional family. I'm already a quite social person, but I'm gonna put myself out there more in that specific sense this year.
  • EDIT: I also wanna start my book because I've been putting that off way too long.
Same as it is every year: new year's eve is a social construct, and I'm already perfect, so don't change anything :blobuwu:

But I do find people's resolutions interesting
I hate to be negative but this is really dumb. Definitely the dumbest thing I've read all year. I'll be more than happy to PM you a big list of problems you need to fix. :pirate::pirate:

Since I don't want to end on a negative note, I'll just wish everyone strong will and hard work, and yeah, a little bit of good luck, in achieving their goals this year.

Exercise consistently. I started in December 2 years ago and never broke my regimen until May last year (when I went to Arizona). Being away broke my routine and I didn't get back on it.
Be more attractive. I want to whiten my teeth, use moisturizers to keep my face acne/blackheads free, always have neat hair, etc. This should boost my confidence and, coupled with the first resolution, improve my chances with the ladies.
Develop a fashion sense. This is something I never really tried hard on before, and I'd like to explore the possibilities.
Get a part time job with my old work, in addition to my full time job. It's remote work, so it'd be nice to get extra money on the side. It'd be even better if I could do QC work (I was next in line for that position before I gave my 2 weeks notice).
Save up a LOT of money. I'm paying off my student loans in June, so that'll be a relief. This is so I can either a) move out to an apartment in 6ish months at earliest, or b) save up for 20% on a house, which is a few years away. While that decision is still far away, saving up for either possibility is smart.
Quit playing For Glory mode in Smash. The lag is really annoying, especially since my main suffers heavily due to time based inputs (Ryu). I can either stop playing the game altogether, or resolve to attend locals regularly.
Go to the ocean more. The sea is my happy place, and visiting it more often will make me a happier person.
That's all I have for now.
Edit: Go on my theme park vacation this year. I made a plan to travel out of state for a 3-amusement park blitz last year, but ended up not going.
Take the PE test for Civil Engineering by October. If I pass, I can earn my license by February of next year.

Last edited:
I don't really have resolutions, since I never stick with them. All, I can ever hope for is that I pass my classes with A's, and just to keep grinding away with having better quality time with my friends, studying, working, and to just work on some other things that have come to my attention.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I don't really stick with resolutions but I'm planning for this year:

- Get my masters degree by February and thus finishing my masters dissertation by January 15th (I already got enrolled in a PhD program lol so I need to finish this ASAP).
- Binge Community, Evangelion, Nathan for You, and DiU.
- Forget my ex. It's been 19 months since she broke up with me and I still feel like crap. I'm so done with this, I just want her out of my mind. Heck, I don't even need to date someone (though that'd prob help), just get rid of any thought related to her.
- If I have money, get a driver's license.
- Grow a beard.
- Learn german properly.
- Read the whole Bible (Jerusalem version), starting today till December 31st.
- Create academic ties with foreign researchers, especially since I'm probably going to Europe in 2019.
- Get into a gym. I'm 105kg and have awful physical conditioning, and this bothers me a lot.
- Face my social anxiety and Imposter's syndrome with something that isn't alcohol.
- Get a Smogon badge, preferably TC.

I don't have much faith but I hope I succeed.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
pass my classes again so i can become a senior in august

thats the only thing i rly care about atm

My new years resolution(s)
-Find a part time job
-Do well at school
-Get into the course I want
-Do a drunk karaoke party
I'm being very pragmatic this year

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
New years resolutions are garbage in my opinion. That being said mine is to maintain my weight at 152 lbs. for wrestling

I need to do a lot of stuff, so hopefully I can accomplish-

-Practice my Flute and Piano more, as
I’m second chair rn and am extremely pissed.
-Get a Smogon badge (Team Rater TC or media contributor) /Be more known in my communities (Monotype and WiFi)
-Possibly do VGC18
-Get my service hours for NJHS
-Actually have a social life lol
-Spend less time Jerking off
-Make all City and Region band with TMEA
-Spend time with my fam.

they aren't new year's resolutions because i have been putting effort into them over time, but
-consume less soda
-continue to get good grades
-be more financially responsible
-get a big win/top 32 regionals in the pokemon tcg
-lastly, make something meaningful out of my love life, preferably becoming more comfortable single

Nothing because everytime i say something like ´´I want to do this´´i end up doing everything but what i wanted to do.

Akai

Indeed akai is either a mom or 50
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Nothing special, just the 'normal' resolution like to do some sport and stop to procrastinate my laundry .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)