Project What's Their Last - Week 3 Nominations

The main thing i notice about this team is that it lacks any reliable answer to both Vullaby and fighting types. For this reason im going to nom the following:

Shushup @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
Level: 5
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Protect

I don't think this team needs more win conditions. Spritzee forms quite a decent defensive core with Grimer-A and can provide valuable wish support to give the team's win conditions a second chance. It poses a nice switch-in against most Fighting types and checks most Vullaby pretty well. It also can serve as an emergency check against Earth Power Omanyte who would otherwise sweep through this team after a turn of setup. Aromatherapy is used over Calm Mind to keep the team healthy since it lacks a real status absorber since Timburr isn't running Guts. In this case it seems better to provide team support than add another potential win condition, which doesnt even gain much from speed boosts because it won't even outspeed much even after being passed boosts.

Last edited:

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Fender (Mudbray) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat

Mudbray fits very well into the last slot to this team. There are a variety of physical attackers which wear down this team in its current form, and Mudbray acts as a soft check to these Pokemon, while acting as a good potential recipient for Torchic. The team has ways to deal with Mudbray's biggest issues- Snivy checks Water-types, and Agrimes (especially with Sleep Talk for Foongus) deals well with opposing Grass-types. Bray is just obnoxiously hard to deal with with boosted Speed as well, and it wears down Pokemon for something like LO Torchic or Snivy to deal with in the later game.

In terms of other nominations, I think most other Pokemon in the spot either leave us too Fighting-weak, lose large amounts of momentum, or turn Torchic into dead weight. I don't absolutely love Mudbray in this slot, but I think it is the best of what I can think of.

Last edited:
ItzViper482 Is a Bully and Smells
Any staryu set works on this Team. But I am not a fan of bulky star so we'll do this

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 76 Def / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic
- Recover

Gives us speed. Gives us hazards removal for torchic. While I don't like recover star it works on the team. Rest is self explanatory. FWG core and chou+phish were taken. Next week I'll be sure to stick a heat edition on a team. MAGBY

not sure one of the four mons is a real solution, corphish and staryu don't provide reliable fighting (ie you're still rekt by scarf foo or scraggy if the player isn't dumb, or by any dual fighting core) as pointed by gummysaur, mudbray isn't a reliable check and this set is ohko'd by +1 scraggy hjk with srs, and spritzee breaks all the team dynamic (maybe snubbull was a better choice)
voting for mudbray

This team needs a ghost type spinblocker tbh. I had stufful wrote up because that's super fun but looking at the team all these sweepers need the rocks to stay up so a ghost type is definitely the main need. There are a few options we can work with, LO Gastly, Scarf Gastly, Fairium Z Gastly, Evio Pump, Ghostium Z Pump, or Scarf Frillish. In this teams case I think Scarf Frillish will be the most useful as it gives an immediate offensive presence as Water Spout 2hkos almost the entire meta. Unfortunately Frillish and every other option for a spinblocker fail to deal with Doduo and Rufflet who both threaten this team immensely as WA onix will get worn down after forcing them out a couple of times or getting hit with superpower or jump kick on the switch. Frillish (and any other ghost) do help deter that however so it's more advantageous than running another flying resist.

Frillish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 236 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball

Gummy

...three, smiles go for miles!
This team needs a ghost type spinblocker tbh. I had stufful wrote up because that's super fun but looking at the team all these sweepers need the rocks to stay up so a ghost type is definitely the main need. There are a few options we can work with, LO Gastly, Scarf Gastly, Fairium Z Gastly, Evio Pump, Ghostium Z Pump, or Scarf Frillish. In this teams case I think Scarf Frillish will be the most useful as it gives an immediate offensive presence as Water Spout 2hkos almost the entire meta. Unfortunately Frillish and every other option for a spinblocker fail to deal with Doduo and Rufflet who both threaten this team immensely as WA onix will get worn down after forcing them out a couple of times or getting hit with superpower or jump kick on the switch. Frillish (and any other ghost) do help deter that however so it's more advantageous than running another flying resist.

Frillish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 236 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
bro ur a little late

And the winner is Nozzle with their spritzee! The actual last was Snubble which was pointed out by majas, thanks Shrug for the team! Week 3 will be up later today or tommorow.

ponyta.gif
rufflet.gif
mienfoo.gif
ferroseed.gif
mareanie.gif
c6e6cf70-af6-4377-9c4a-dc2c4d7bc02f27.png

Ponyta @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 156 Def / 156 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Flamethrower
- Flame Charge
- Solar Beam

Rufflet @ Eviolite
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 116 HP / 12 Atk / 116 Def / 196 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Aerial Ace
- Superpower
- Roost

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 76 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Ferroseed @ Berry Juice
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 188 Def / 148 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Bullet Seed
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave

Mareanie @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 36 HP / 180 Def / 12 SpA / 180 SpD / 76 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Psychic]
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover

This team is based around ponyta luring pokemon such as onix/chinchou and wall breaking for rufflet to sweep later. Mienfoo is used as a pivot and a switchin to many common pokemon in the tier while ferro and mareanie form a deffensive backbone in the team. Ferro and marenaie both set hazards to apply pressure for an easier sweep as well.

Now it is your turn to figure out what you believe to be the last pokemon to make this team complete. Good luck!

Submissions close on 6/1/17

Altariel von Sweep

They Who Laugh Last
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Abra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 76 HP / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Counter
- Energy Ball

Abra can take out its counters, such as Grimer-Alola, Pawniard and Munchlax, sweeps efficiently well in late-game and appreciates the hazards that Ferroseed and Mareanie put on foe's field.

Last edited:

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader

Baltoy @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 196 Atk / 156 Def / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Zen Headbutt
- Explosion
- Trick

A balance team with a lack of a spinner, two mons weak to rocks, and two passive mons needs something to turn the tides and momentum back to your favor. Tricky Baltoy gives you the option to cripple a pokemon, perhaps a spinner like Staryu, or clear rocks with relative ease. The dashingly powerful baby owl utilizes Zen Headbutt punishes any Gastly that's ballsy enough to switch into the legend himself, while the other spinblockers are massively crippled by Trick. Explosion is a last resort option and allows you to quickly get Baltoy off the field. It also does not add another weakness to Diglett, instead giving you an immunity to the mole's ground type attacks.

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 76 SDef / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Sandstorm

Classic spinner and a ground type to stop volt switches and annoying poison types
Ferroseed has rocks already, so you have a free slot. Put in Sandstorm because 1. it's fun 2. it gives you another win con 3. it's less susceptible to fast mons
idek tbh

Gummy

...three, smiles go for miles!
Snivy @ Normalium Z
Ability: Contrary
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Wring Out
- Substitute
- Knock Off

This team currently has no ground resist (Rufflet doesn't count because it just gets Rock Blasted), and it has no reliable way of beating Grimer-A and Vullaby. The team is also really passive imo, and needs a strong wallbreaker. Z-Wring Out Snivy does all of the above as well as just being a really fun mon to play with!

Fille

Afk
is a Pre-Contributor
LCPL Champion
Assuming this is dead, but felt like posting.

Personally the Rocks weakness is huge, so a spinner is needed. Drilbur is already mentioned, and doubt anyone uses Sandshrew anymore so

Patrick (Staryu) @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 156 Def / 116 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

spinner, switches in on onix/mudbrays and kills them / heals / spins etc etc. Thunderbolt beats Frillish, so figured that'd be the best option. Would personally try like a Sandshrew with this tho (Or Defog Snivy now but eh).

ItzViper482

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)