Where do you see yourself in five years time?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's very easy to be pessimistic about the future--especially when schools and other similar things put so much pressure onto you to do well with the threat of not getting onto good university courses, and with the entire system making it feel like you need to get into a top university to get a job which puts you above the breadline (you don't, but it is still easy to fall into the trap of believing it even if you know that's not how it works), it can be incredibly stressful. Or, if you are out of education, I'm sure you have your own set of worries about the future, whether it be financial, emotional, or to do with relationships/family. Talking about the future is a good way to help tackle fears, and whether you are worried or not it makes for an interesting topic of discussion regardless.

In this thread, I want people to post two things:
  1. Where you want to be in five years (an optimistic expectation), and
  2. Where you think you will be in five years (a realistic expectation).
It's pretty simple. I don't want to see people posting pessimistic stuff for the sake of posting pessimistic stuff unless you actually think that is where you are going to be; there is way too much depression-type stuff in Cong already, and posts constructed on forced pessimism are all identical anyway--so there isn't any point.

==========

I have a few goals for my life in five years both on and off of Smogon. My ambitions for Smogon basically consist of boring "climbing the site ladder" type stuff, including where I want positions of power on the site and the level of authority I want to attain by certain years, so I won't go into detail with that, but irl my ideal situation is to have a reasonably paying job and to be in a financial position where I don't feel particularly constrained with my spending. My biggest fear in life is that I will be fighting against bills, educational fees, and the need to eat and have no freedom with regards to how I am able to spend my money, which in turn would mean that I am unable to fund my reasonably expensive set of interests. Fortunately, I'm pretty good at saving--I don't spend money much outside of standing orders for subscription services, and as such I am generally able to afford reasonably expensive stuff whenever I have cash flow into my account, and I hope that in five years time my life situation will still be in a position where I am living like I am now. If I look particularly optimistically I will have experienced life in another culture all together 'cause living in the UK in at least 2017-2022 is very clearly going to be extremely unpredictable if this country's politics don't perform a significantly bigger U-turn than Theresa May did on dementia tax.

Realistically speaking, I'm kinda unsure about the way I want to achieve my goals. I have a load of hypothetical projects that I keep telling myself I'm going to pursue after my exams are over, but of these I don't feel like I'm going to pursue them like I keep saying I will. I get delusions of grandeur all the time, and I feel like this clouds my vision with regards to what I can realistically achieve with my personality type or forces me into a pessimistic mindset that my biggest fear will be the only reality I know. If I push aside this fog of delusions and pessimism, I think that I will most likely either be somewhat constrained with regards to my spending or still living with my parents. The best way for me to maintain my interests is to minimise my outward cash flow while having a steady inflow (which will likely be close to minimum wage for as long as I'm a student, so around £50-80 per 10 hours), and this likely means being a slimy bastard who mooches off of his parents for food+shelter+electricity until I no longer have the option to do so. IDK if I will have a degree in five years or not, but if I don't I hopefully won't be far off of having one and, as such, will hopefully be approaching a position where I can break away from minimum wage--and I think I'm more than capable of reaching such a point by then despite how I've convinced myself that life can only go downhill from here.

dead and among the stars :>

just kidding. I'm guessing out of school, still with my friends, traveling states, and with a cat and my dog Carnitas. I hope to be earning 60k each year with my job.

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Probably Graduated from College, in a new home on a different neighborhood, making plans to make my own company. Maybe in a higher position in the Company I currently work for...having my own car. Meh can't think of much at the moment anyways.

in 5 years I want to be studying and working abroad. I would probably have finished my Master degree in Journalism, probably studying soccer's elitization through media analysis or something like that and will be taking classes related to Sports Management and such, and will be working at a soccer team somewhere in the world. During that time, I would be planning my return to Brazil to try to use this knowledge to improve the game. :]

on a more realistic thought, I will be just stuck to the first job that pays me relatively well lol. I hope that is the recording studio where I work now. It would be cool being there for some 5-7 years to learn and then be able to start my own business and shit.

In 5 years I want to be fully self-employed, just working on my own IT-related projects at my own pace, and for those to provide me with the income I need to get by. Either that, or I'm involved with esports in some way, probably as someone who helps to run tournaments. Also I'd no longer be depressed, potentially I return to rep basketball or I develop some secondary sport that allows me to compete (tennis???), with the additional condition being that my knees don't fall apart again. Also having moved out is a big deal, having a grilfriend would be nice but tbh idk how that'll go, as much as it'd be nice to have a relationship with someone, I have no interest in putting in the work required to reach that point so it'll probably go nowhere

Realistically I'll still be working on my projects but they won't provide enough income, so I'll have to supplement with a mix of part-time IT development work and casual lifeguarding. I'm probably never going back to rep bball, as my offensive skills and general fitness have atrophied and I'm not really doing anything to remedy that. No longer being depressed I think is pretty realistic, 5 years is a long time and that's something that's already starting to improve

I'll be college-age in five years time, so I assume I'll just be working/living with parents for the summer, haha. Or trying to survive college itself with how much of a procrastinator I am at the moment. I also want to become more extroverted and confident in public, with my stutter remedied. :D

Erry

Banned deucer.
Working as a dental assistant hopefully! But I kind of still want to keep doing ballet considering it's a passion of mine.

Possibly back in Grad School trying to complete my masters into a PhD. Possibly continuing my job in research. Definitely continuing to learn poker/go/mtg/vgc and improving competitively. Definitely pursuing creative pursuits like game design, speed running, and writing.

Optimistically I'd be a well respected pure mathematician. Realistically I'd be doing work that gets me by and helps people but will ultimately be forgotten. Optimistically I'll have bumbled into someone that shares similar passions or is at least interesting and cares about mine. Realistically I'll be forced to move from shithole to shithole never talking to people smart enough or interested enough to hold a conversation for more than 5 minutes outside of work.

But I'm an optimistic and ambitious guy. The future's gonna be great and no matter how far away they are I'm gonna have people to share it with.

Lionyx

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I'd like to graduate from college (which I have 4 years left unless there's one I don't pass) and become a Spanish teacher, or a French teacher in a foreigner country. I would like to teach in Sweden, or maybe in Spain, the United States or Germany.
From a more realistic overview and taking my general lazyness in account, I do still think I'll graduate, but stay in France as moving countries need a lot of dedication and I lack this a lot. Who knows, I might change in five years!

Either way in five years I'll still be spending my days shitposting on PS!~

Career: My music will have progressed enough to a point where I can start making some serious money from doing jobs for people (such as composing Video Game soundtracks, Film soundtracks, etc), and that my main project will get more recognition. Also, I think I might want to go into the medical field for a stable full time job.

Life: Work on finding someone to start a family with, it's been nearly three years since I split with my ex-fiance, it's time for me to hop back into the dating pool.

Everything Else: Idk, I'll probably go to the gym and eat healthier overall.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Still without any children I hope

Also I want to have:

1. Travelled extensively.
2. Be working in or towards a passion OR if I'm not working full time in something I'm passionate about, have started (or am about to start) a business on the side.
3. Kicking the ass of whatever fitness and sports goals I have at the time. My current challenge is American football, but the future could hold fitness modelling or powerlifting for me, who knows!
4. Financially secure.
5. Deposit on my own home

1. Having obtained my Professional Engineering licensure
2. Being at my physical/fitness prime approaching 30
3. Having expanded my travels to not only the western US, but to other countries
4. Having become proficient in at least 3 languages
5. Becoming a fantasy sports god and winning copious amounts of cash (just kidding I already do this)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)