SM OU Winter Special (Aurora Veil team)

Make no mistake, this is not some gimmick team. Amazingly this team manages to have a holiday theme while still being very viable. Though however, this team has not gotten me high enough as I liked...

Jackass frost 2.0 (Ninetales-Alola) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Encore
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast

Ninetales-alola is everything has everything for a winterish team- Making it snow(or rather hail), Aurora veil softening all forms of direct damage in one turn, harassing weather dependent pokemon, giving this team that winterish vibe. I chose light clay over icy rock because I prefer the prolonged aurora veil over the prolonged hail because honestly the only pokemon that actually benefits from hail is kyurem-b getting 100% accurate blizzards, while aurora veil helps the entire team, whether it allowing volcarona to set up or softening blows for landorus-t. Encore is great to stop calm mind and other forms of bulky set up. Freeze-dry is awesome, as it OHKOs pelipper, giving me an advantage over rain and sometimes the opponent does not suspect of such a move. Moonblast on the other hand is used for killing mega sableye and also is useful for the sp attack drop. Max speed to outrun as much as possible, as it speed creeps base 108s like terrakion and keldeo and KOs them with moonblast, and to also revenge kill weather-dependant pokemon like swift swimmers. Max attack over max hp to hit as hard as possible.

-->

Red Grinch (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Mega scizor is a reliable defogger and brings priority to the table. Its steel typing allows it to be an effective pivot which is further excelled under aurora veil, while almost giving it an immunity to toxic and toxic spikes, thus also allowing it switch into a toxic and pivoting to the appropriate teammate, making this team less susceptible to toxic stall. Roost and bullet punch are as always mandatory for any mega scizor.

Moles in Holes (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 20 HP
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Memento

Dugtrio is just such a great fit in this team. While hail may break its sash, the sheer number of pokemon that it can trap that would be troublesome is just absurd. First it traps pretty much every opposing weather inducer that ninetales is weak to, as it has a super effective earthquake that can maul sand setters like tyranitar and the very rare gigalith, in addition to sun setters like ninetales and torkoal. It also traps fire types, which otherwise can be troublesome as nothing in this team resists fire. Due to the fact mega scizor lures in fire types, scizor can pivot with u-turn on the switch to dugtrio to dispose of the threat. Finally, provided that hail and stealth rock are off the field, dugtrio can act as an emergency revenge killer to set up sweepers to cripple them with memento or kill it with earthquake or reversal. Screech harasses the blobs.

Storm warning (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

Kyurem-black is the star of the team and can be played a multiple of ways. Under aurora veil, kyurem-black's is fairly tanky, as under aurora veil it is usually not 2HKOed by pretty much any neutral attack, and can live many super effective attacks at full health and KO back if necessary, such as draco meteor from Lati@s, Keldeo's secret sword, tapu lele's moonblast, etc. However, the primary purpose of kyurem-black is as a wallbreaker, as its sheer offenses and mixed movepool make it so that only few can take the brunt of kyurem-b's attacks. Blizzard > ice beam because of ninetales-alola's hail, making it 100% accurate and generally the best move to spam, especially under hail. It also comes with the nice benefit of 2HKOing 252HP/84 SpD clefable 100% of the time, something ice beam fails to do. Earth power and fusion bolt provide great coverage, allowing it to hit many threats such as alola-marowak, celesteela, tapu fini, and many more. Roost provides longlivity and puts kyurem-b's natural bulk to better use, allowing it to offset life orb, stealth rock, and micellaneous damage that wear kyurem-b down.

Furnace (Volcarona) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Bug Buzz

Volcarona is one this team's main win conditions for this team as it easily sets up quiver dances on the steel types that threaten alola ninetales. Under aurora veil, volcarona finds many opportunities to setup, sometimes even in the face of bulky waters! Roost over additional coverage to prevent volcarona from getting worn down and allows volcarona to set up multiple quiver dances on special attackers, and almost allows volcarona to take more hits to fire off powerful attacks. Fire blast > fiery dance for immediate power, bug buzz for a reliable STAB that also happens to bypass subs, which is nice. Lum berry allow volcarona to set up on thunder wave users, like jirachi.

Flying Dawg (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Landorus-t glues the team together by being a reliable switch in to physical attackers and a stop to many physical set up sweepers, especially under aurora veil. I chose leftovers over rocky helmet because hail damage wear it down without leftovers, and leftovers compliments aurora veil better than rocky helmet. Stealth rocks is a handy to chip at the opposing team. U-turn allows landorus-t to pivot for a teammate, especially against a physical attacker. Earthquake is the obligatory STAB that does decent damage and stone edge nails flying types.

Threatlist

Charizards:
Due to the base form being a flying, dugtrio cannot trap the charizard and dispose of them before they get the chance to set up or fire off a powerful attack. Due to this they are one of the biggest threats to this team as no team member resists fire. Due to the fact that nothing in my team can address both forms at once, mispredicting the charizard form often results in a dead mon and many tears. Due to this I must make sure aurora veil and stealth rock is up when charizard comes in to mitigate whatever damage it can do. Once the form is revealed, there are a few options to deal with charizard. Mega charizard X is definitely the less scarier one, as landorus-t can check it with intimidate and dugtrio and take a hit and KO back provided that focus sash is intact. Kyurem-black can tank a +1 dragon claw under aurora veil at full health and OHKO back with earth power. Mega charizard Y is definitely the scarier one, as nothing in my team can comfortably take a fire blast and my team isn't that fast too. My only hope is to make sure aurora veil is up, so mons like lando and kyurem-b can tank a hit and OHKO back. Basically, if charizard Y can come in when aurora veil is not up then something is going to die.

Celesteela:
If stealth rock is up on my side, this thing is a great hassle to deal with, as my two checks to this thing are weak to stealth rock, letting it chip at my team with leech seed. To make matters worse, it often carries flamethrower, so I can't use scizor to defog on this thing. So basically I'm forced to switch in kyurem-b or volcarona to deal with this. Thankfully, both of them have reliable recovery to heal off stealth rock and leech seed damage and can dish major damage back with fusion bolt and fire blast, and alola ninetales can lock this thing into a leech seed. If stealth rock isn't up, then celesteela is manageable.

Hax: Obviously

Any constructive criticism is appreciated.

Last edited:
Huh i might actually try this team. I love dragons and seeing B-Kyurem with Aurora Veil seemed to be a strategy i was scared to try. However, i can see it working well, more so in doubles.

Fire /flying could be a problem though. I know you have two ground types but stone edge's accuracy IS a bit dodgy haha.

and finally... Celesteela is a MASSIVE problem to this team. B-Kyurem cannot take it on alone as Heavy Slam from Celesteela will ruin it, especially with the recoil off Life Orb

I mean Stealth Rock is a problem, but you have got M-Scizor for that. Also... Volcarona is an interesting choice. It actually complements the weaknesses of the first two ice types very well. I might try a similar team ! (Replacing Scizor, Dugtrio and Landorus as i don't have them.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)