SM UU Yesterday

(Click Sprites for Importable)

Hello everyone! Sickist here, back with another RMT for you all. This time, with a UU RMT. This team is probably one of my most consistent teams I have used in this generation. Hat's off to faded love for making improvements to the team to get it to the point where it is now. I posted this team in the Sample Teams thread as well, but I thought I'd make a more detailed post about this, as well as being able to use some fancy formatting. Anyways, this RMT will be divided into 5 sections: Team-building Process, an In-Depth look, Threat-list, Replays, and Final thoughts. Anyways, Let's get into the team, shall we?

I. Teambuilding Process

I started off with a simple, interesting core of Mega Aerodactyl+Hippowdon. I had seen this core used on many successful teams, whether during Major Tours like SPL or UUPL, or just on casual ladder play. The basis of the core is Hippowdon's Sand benefit's Mega Aerodactyl, due to Mega Aerodactyl being a rock type, and rock types gaining a 1.5x boost to their special defense from Sand. Hippowdon also switches in on Electric and Rock type attacks aimed at Mega Aerodactyl, as well as sets up Stealth Rocks for it. In return, Mega Aerodactyl pressures Flying Types such as Togekiss or Levitators, such as Taunt Hydreigon, that can either avoid toxic, or just simply heal it away, and obviously use it for fodder, due to avoiding Earthquake. However, both Mega Aerodactyl and Hippowdon struggle vs Swords Dance variants of Scizor, as well as obvious Water types. That's where the next member of the team comes in.

Tentacruel offers an answer to said water types, bar things like Starmie and Swampert, as well as a way to help ease the match-up vs Swords Dance variants of Scizor, due to Haze and resisting Bullet Punch and U-turn. Tentacruel offers a nice speed tier, outpacing things like Rocks Krookidile, Gligar, Nidoking, and Rotom Heat, which is beneficial to Hippowdon. Tentacruel also offers Rapid Spin support, which clears hazards from the field on my side, keeping the whole team healthier due to not being worn down by entry hazards, such as Stealth Rocks or Spikes. Tentacruel handles weaker fighting types to an extent as well, such as Cobalion and Lucario. However, Tentacruel should be weary of switching into every fighting type in the tier, as it can be 3HKO'd by most of the stronger fighting types, such as Terrakion and Infernape. That being said, the trio was looking quite nice so far, but Tentacruel got worn down quite fast, and the team as a whole didn't like Hydreigon or dark types in general.

Sylveon handles Dark types, especially the pesky Hydreigon, as well as provides much-needed Wish support. Sylveon's bulk allows it to handle fighting types as well, easing the Fighting Type matchup for Tentacruel. Sylveon's typing as well makes Terrakion think before clicking Close Combat on the team, easing that Matchup as well. Sylveon also switches into powerful dragon type attacks, such as Latias' and Hydreigon's Draco Meteor or Haxorus' Outrage/Dragon Claw. Sylveon also provides Heal Bell support, which helps things like Hippowdon stay healthy, getting rid of status like Toxic. What makes Sylveon better than Florges in this slot is Sylveon's better Physical bulk, like previously mentioned, helps in checking more powerful fighting types like Infernape, Terrakion, and Mienshao. So far, the team was pretty soild, but still kinda weak to Scizor, as well as didn't have a Stall Matchup at all, as well as lacked a wincon.

At this point, the team, like previously mentioned, had 0 stall MU, but it also lacked a real switch into things like Krookidile and Crawdaunt, which can nail Sylveon with their powerful secondary STAB Attacks, such as Crabhammer. Hydreigon helps greatly with the Stall Matchup, as well as switching into said Krookidile and Crawdaunt, while also offering a wallbreaker due to holding a Life Orb. Hydreigon and Sylveon work quite well together, as well as Hydreigon switching into Psychic attacks for free for the team. Hydreigon appreciates Hippowdon and Sylveon handling Physical Fighting types, and appreciates Tentacruel taking on most Fairies. However, that steel type was still needed, as well as a wincon, and another way to annoy stall.

The final member of the team is CM Cobalion. Cobalion pressures bulky Steel types for Mega Aerodactyl, Hydreigon, and Sylveon, as well as acts as a general wincon. Cobalion also greatly eases the Scizor Match-up in general. Cobalion offers another general pivot into Dragons and Rock types, like Nihilego, Latias, or Diancie. The cool tech of CM Cobalion lets it smash through teams reliant on Quagsire as their unaware user, as unboosted Fightinium Z Focus Blast decimates Quagsire. Cobalion's Speed tier is nice in general, letting it outspeed things like Celebi and speed tie with other base 108's, such as Infernape or Terrakion.

II. In-Depth look

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Pursuit

EV's are standard Max Attack, Max speed to outpace everything slower than it, while hitting as hard as possible. Stone Edge is Aerodactyl's STAB, hitting flying, fire, and bug types for super effective damage, depending on secondary types anyways. Earthquake hits Steel Types, while also hitting Electrics like Magneton or Mega Manectric for super effective damage as well. Pursuit traps things like Celebi, Latias, and Reuniclus, among other things not weak to it, producing openings for Cobalion or Hydreigon. Crunch is a neat tech that punishes said Latias, Celebi, or Reuniclus for predicting pursuit and staying in. The reason Crunch is chosen over something like Ice Fang is the accuracy, as well as hitting Reuniclus for super effective damage.

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature

- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off

- Toxic

Rocky Helmet punishes U-turn users, such as Scizor and Hydreigon, by chipping at 16-17% of their max HP. This EV spread is alot more physically bulky, allowing Hippo to take on things like Scizor a little bit better, as well as things like Band/Scarf Infernape, Terrakion, etc. The speed allows you to outrun Relaxed Swampert, allowing you to either get up rocks or Toxic it before it can Scald/Toxic you. Stealth Rock is a standard on every team, pressuring the opponent with chip on everything. Earthquake allows you to not be taunt-food, and nails things like Nihilego for super effective damage. Slack Off allows Hippo to stay healthy and check what it needs to in a game. Toxic allows you to pressure Latias, Hydreigon, Togekiss, and other things Earthquake cannot hit.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Black Sludge gives Tentacruel passive recovery, due to it's lack of recovery. Black Sludge is here over Leftovers due to trick, which would hurt the holder of it, but not poison types. EV spread is enough speed to outrun Rotom Heat, while still maintaining good physical bulk. Scald is a very spammable STAB attack that has a 30% chance to burn things, which can turn the tide of a game quite fast. Rapid Spin allows Tentacruel to clear hazards from it's side of the field, as well as freeing it from Leech Seed/Infestation. Haze clears all stat changes, allowing it to take on SD Scizor/DDance Mega Altaria more efficiently. Toxic Spikes pressures fatter things like Hippowdon or Sylveon, wearing them down for Cobalion and the other teammates.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Heal Bell

- Protect

Leftovers give Sylveon passive recovery. EVs are standard max hp, max defense to take physical hits alot better. Hyper Voice is a STAB attack, due to Sylveon's ability, Pixelate, which turns Normal moves into Fairy type. Wish is a form of recovery, and can be passed to other teammates, keeping them healthy. Heal Bell cures status, keeping things like Hippowdon free from Toxic, and Aero free from paralysis and burns. Protect is used to scout, and to keep Sylveon safe the extra turn it takes for Wish to activate. It should be noted that Hyper Voice is blocked by the ability Soundproof, but no viable pokemon in the tier has access to it atm.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Roost

- Taunt

Life Orb allows Hydreigon to fire off powerful attacks, at the lost of 10% of it's HP every attack it uses. Max Speed and Max Special Attack EVs let Hydreigon be as fast and hit as hard as possible. Draco Meteor hits everything but fairies and steel types really hard, but it drops Hydreigon's special attack by 2 stages from every use. Dark Pulse is a spammable attack, that has a small chance to flinch. Roost allows Hydreigon to stay healthy and check things like Crawdaunt and Mega Manectric. Taunt stops things from Toxic'ing Hydreigon, as well as stoping Hazards, Recovery, and other forms of Status. This allows Hydreigon to stallbreak efficiently.

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Calm Mind

- Hidden Power [Ice]

Max speed and Max Special Attack allows Cobalion to, once more, hit as hard and as fast as possible. Focus Blast is one of Cobalion's STAB attacks, nailing things like Mega Aggron or Rhyperior. Flash Cannon is Cobalion's other STAB, noteably hitting Fairy types, such as Mega Altaria or Sylveon. Calm Mind boosts Cobalion's Special Attack and Special Defense by 1 Stage. Hidden Power Ice hits Gligar for 4x effective damage, removing it from the scene. HP Ice also hits ground types like Nidoking, but generally, a Boosted Flash Cannon will do more. Fightinium Z alongside Focus Blast gives Cobalion a powerful nuke to break through threats such as Quagsire, Hippowdon, Volcanion, etc.

III. Threatlist

Swampert is a major thorn in my side, and offensive Band variants are actual threats. Water/Ice/Ground has insane coverage, and nothing on my team really likes it. The way to generally get around any variant of Swampert is to try and lure it with Cobalion's Z Focus Blast, which severely dents or removes it from the scene.

Nasty Plot Celebi is scary for this build, but only when trying to switch into it. It's amazing coverage nails literally everything for fatal damage. My general only way to pick it off is with Mega Aerodactyl or through weakening it to the point of Cobalion being able to Flash Cannon it.

IV. Replays

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-903290475
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-903287157
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-903284612
(Will add more soon, I promise)

V. Final Thoughts

Although the team has it's issues, it's overall really solid in my time using it. Thanks again to Faded for the help and for gathering some replays, and thank you to all of you players that constantly make me a better player and member in the community every day. I hope to keep improving and making all of you proud. With that out of the way, hope you enjoy the team, and have a good day all!

Last edited:

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think you missed very important points in your threatlist, here is what I think to be a more accurate threat list :

- Mega-Altaria : If it's refresh, Tenta and Hippo can't do anything to so you have to switch on Sylveon which still takes one million.

- Latias : Sylveon doesn't stop it from spamming CM and Hippo dies after a boost so unless you hard predict you'll have to sacrifice a mon to bring in Aero, which has to win a 50/50 (though most people usually stay in since they don't expect crunch).

- Blissey : you have no reliable way of beating blissey, since you have no mon that is able to 2HKO it and it can Toxic Hippo Aero and make Sylveon run out of pps on heal bell.

So I would suggest these changes :

- Sludge Bomb > Toxic Spikes on Tenta, as a lots of teams run poison types nowadays so it won't be effective most of the time and Sludge Bomb helps versus Primarina and mostly Altaria.

- Return > Hyper Voice on Sylveon. It may seem crazy but it actually 2HKOs Latias and still does okay damage against the rest.

- Physical Cobalion > Special Cobalion. Pretty necessary here if you want to beat Blissey and with Taunt you still have a pretty cool stallbreaker. Then, if you want a tech to break Gligar you can run Ice Fang on Aero and it still hits Celebi and Latias pretty hard.

- Leftovers > Rocky Helmet since otherwise it's pretty tricky to switch into Manectric, Band Terrakion and Band Scizor and overall not having to click slack off too often is really appreciated.

So here is a paste with all the changes :
https://pokepast.es/3a62f2a769678f5bYou can also run Flash Cannon on Hydreigon, that way you have no fodder for Altaria because it's still very threatening to this team, especially the Facade set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)