Your Favourite Songs

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
[youtube]cXSOD1N5lR4[/youtube]

And this BGM too from the same cartoon...
[youtube]YHej-cvjso4[/youtube]
EDIT: Not much of a song, just music :3

Yes's (more specifically, Steve Howe's) Mood for a Day has recently become one of my favorite tracks. Prog-rock guitarists can be pretty hit-or-miss in terms of talent, but I think Howe is probably one of the best (certainly one of my personal top three). The range of styles he's capable of playing, and, in this case, the range of emotions conveyed in a single, three-minute acoustic song absolutely blow me away.

I spend a ton of time listening to Pokemon music remixes on Youtube; some of the best, I'd say, are those of the Abandoned Ship, Violet/Olivine City, and Route 120 (RSE versions). Good stuff. As for stuff with lyrics:

100 Years - Five for Fighting
Love the piano bit, and the instantly epic feel of the song. Also like the guy's voice, even though I can see why some don't.

Stereo Hearts - come on, everyone knows this song
Corny as hell, but catchy as hell too, with a very nice melody behind it. If only it wasn't Adam Levine quacking out the chorus, but I guess you can't have everything, eh?

Vienna Teng's entire catalog
Jesus Christ, how is she not a hosuehold name by now? Go listen to Harbour, Antebellum, In Another Life, Stray Italian Greyhound, The Tower, Lullaby for a Stormy Night, etc. and you'll know what I mean.

Safe and Sound, Ours, most of her Speak Now album - Taylor Swift
Yeah, I like her stuff. Bite me.

I Will Follow you into the Dark - DCfC
I swear, one day I'll sit down for eight or so hours and listen to their entire fucking catalog. Even if I don't, at least I've heard this song.

Haven't Met you Yet, Everything, blah blah blah Michael Buble
Coolest fucking guy alive. That's all.

White Houses - Vanessa Carlton
Should've charted a ton better than her debut single. Just realized I'm a sucker for songs with strong piano sequences, and this is actually a pretty bloody little gem if you get past the fact it's Vanessa Carlton singing it.

So yeah, I mostly listen to just mainstream, poppy stuff. Indie stuff gets a little too self-indulgent for me, and rock stuff, unless it has strong pop elements to it too (hellooooo Maroon 5), isn't quite my cup of tea.

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus
i think over time my taste in music is becoming more specialized
which makes me feel close-minded
but i think im just obsessed
with this particular sound
this is me lately

INDIAN SUMMER - ANGRY SON (WOOLWORM)
a band from oakland, california in the early 90's
nice gritty texture, dc hardcore scene influence and great loud/soft dynamics
[youtube]LE0B-LNl6sA[/youtube]

ALLURE - LITTLE ENGINE
hard to find band with only one demo album with only untitled tracks
this song was on a compilation with bands like indian summer and current
[youtube]9kYnTL_KBrM[/youtube]

RAINER MARIA - TINFOIL
a band from the 90's that lasted into the 2000's now on polyvinyl records
i like the vocals a lot in this band, and the earlier you go the grungier they get
[youtube]ntUFNYKr0oU[/youtube]

MY BRIGHTEST DIAMOND - HYME A L'AMOUR
new york based shara worden played with groups like the decemberists and sufjan stevens
sounds beautiful and fragile and strange, this is an edith pilaf cover but very reminiscent of her general sound
[youtube]onmFapHhgeY[/youtube]

WILLIAM FITZSIMMONS - WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG
a midwestern guy who grew up with two blind parents
nice delicate and honest tone, sounds a little like iron & wine
[youtube]7oEl-E3ZlMs[/youtube]

SWITZERLAND - GREAT OAK
a really nice melodic sort of math-rocky twinkle daddy band from derby, in eastern uk
they're dead but were active in the early 2000s and their myspace is still up
[youtube]In5FWiLw5FU[/youtube]

UMBRELLAS - CROOKED
another 2000's -ish band from oklahoma
i just started listening to them again, nice mellow and echoing quality with some electronic influence
[youtube]FLdZxJmjzc4[/youtube]

TEARIST - CIVILIZATION
ive been into some of those spooky witch house-y noise bands lately too, very 80's sounding and nostalgic
these guys are from l.a. and the girl is in a movie called all american orgy that featured at slamdance
[youtube]GevJO5Gx5zw[/youtube]

sorry i posted a lot
i got carried away

My favorite song really depends on my mood. Like my opinions on the weather, I usually have different favorites depending on what I'm doing, what I'm thinking about, or what is on my mind. Don't know if anyone else is like this, but I guess it's not too hard a concept to grasp.

For example, if I'm in a chill and relaxed mood, I could go with some Brandon Flowers and the Killers, Miike Snow, Temper Trap or The Shins. When I'm going to a tournament or working out or something, I usually go with some Living Legends (The Grouch, Eligh, Murs, ect.), some Passion Pit, or Modest Mouse. When I get into my love-sick, romantic phase I can't get enough of bands like Cheap Trick, Oasis, James Blunt. It all has to do with my mood.

Also, that feeling when you discover an artist or song for the first time in an unexpected place is amazing. Love that feeling...

Favorite Songs (in no particular order)
Dog Days - Florence and the Machine
Rolling in the Deep - ADELE
Born this Way - Lady Gaga
Don't Stop Believing - Journey
Clocks - Coldplay
Viva la Vida - Coldplay
Every Queen song EVER (I have and know almost all of them)
It's the End of the World as we know it - R.E.M.
Logical Song - Supertramp
Take the Long Way Home - Supertramp
Seperate Ways - Journey
Lights -Journey

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Favorites atm
She Will Be Loved- Maroon 5
Take Me Away- Fortune Family
The One that Got Away- Katy Perry
It Will Rain- Bruo Mars
Holla At Me- Chris Brown ft Tyga

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
At the moment it's R Kelly - When a Woman Loves. It's a really old fashioned love song (I think it might be about his mother actually), nothing like the stuff he's known for. It's a really beautiful vocal. I'm a sucker for this sound, which is why I really like a lot of Cee Lo Green tracks, especially Old Fashioned. I don't think you can beat a soulful track with some really beautiful, powerful and heartfelt vocals. Which brings me on to the man with the most powerful voice in pop, Tom Jones - Till. God, what a voice. Tom Jones - I (Who Have Nothing). That is a man, why hasn't this been a Bond theme yet?

Alan was asking me for some punk bands earlier, so I'll share some of my favourite punk songs.

Bad Brains - I Against I: Brilliant track, raw and full of energy. Timeless.

Toy Dolls - Dig That Groove, Baby: Toy Dolls. Funny band, good music.

NoFX - The Separation of Church and Skate: The song that got me into punk. I wasn't too interested in the politics, I just thought it sounded sick, and it still does.

Sublime - Seed: My favourite song from one of the best punk bands of the 90s.

Death - Voice of the Soul

The most utterly sublime and melodic piece of music ever recorded by mankind. One man pouring out his heart into three guitars. Says more without even speaking than any poet ever could.

Metallica - Orion

Another instrumental. The midsection features the greatest riff of all time on the bass, and some truly beautiful guitar work.

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

The guitar solo. There have been hundreds of truly spectacular solos played by many different guitarists throughout the years, but this one just has its own place in the pantheon. There are shred solos, and soft solos, and melodic solos, and emotional solos, and uplifting solos. But there is only one Comfortably Numb solo.

1. Beirut - Postcards From Italy

Everything about this song is perfect and the second section of the song is so beautiful and emotional. I saw them live in Atlanta and cried when they played this.

2. Beirut - Nantes

The upbeat, syncopated-ish rhythm is so catchy and the sections in between verses are equally catchy. Anyone who knows Beirut but doesn't really listen them (Should listen to them) probably has heard this song.

3. Beirut - Gulag Orkestar

Everything about this song is so beautiful and sad. When the drums come in I almost cry. Every. Time.

4. Beirut - Transatlantique

Another blissful beirut song. Alliteration up in this bitch.

Oops did I just post only Beirut songs? Oh well.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
3. Poet and the Pendulum- Nightwish
-Probably the most epic and heartfelt song of all time? You can tell the lyricist was in some dark places when he wrote this. Symphonic metal and Nightwish at their best.
I'm not trying to rag on this choice, but I'm honestly curious for a discussion here -- have you heard any of the stuff from Century Child?

I ask this because I absolutely could not get into Poet and the Pendulum. I'm one of the biggest fans of "epics" that you could imagine but I really do not like that song. It has a good part one, but the parts after that fall flat in a really bad way.

Strange because my favorite epic is Beauty of the Beast -- same group, album before that.

edit: Okay time for some of MY FAVORITES. I'm noob and have no idea how Glen embedded all those youtube links (can we use html here now?!) so I'll just put a normal link.

Nightwish - Beauty of the Beast
I just mentioned this one and it's rather fantastic. It's the last song on the concept album Century Child, which is basically about lost innocence. Actually reminds me a bit of William Blake if he was dark and depressed all the time. As the album's "epic" it is a summary of the theme, which is a lament of lost innocence. Hard to describe, better off listening to it.

Kamelot - Memento Mori
While we're on the discussion of epics this one is also a large favorite of mine. This is at the very end of their two-album series which is a (superior) retelling of Goethe's Faust. I personally thought Goethe was a shitty storyteller and Faust was mired too much in the religion of the day, and believe this to be a superior and very introspective version of that. As this is the last song, this is the moment of the main character's death and is perhaps the most introspective song of the series. Oh snap, spoilers?

Kamelot - The Mourning After
This one is also from the series of concept albums. It's not as good as Memento Mori but this is the song I use as an example for how instrumentals can set the mood. When it comes to that this song is perfect.

Sonata Arctica - My Selene
I think this is actually the only good song this band has managed to write. It's a shame because the band has a lot of potential, the lead singer just needs to put down the songwriting pen. This song is what happened when the guitarist got a chance to write, and it turns out it's fucking awesome and he should write all of their songs.

Let's move away from metal for a second.

Shawn Colvin - Sunny Came Home
Most people here probably don't give a shit about adult alternative, which is understandable but sad because the genre has some real gems. Like this one. Song is about a distraught woman who is dissatisfied with her life and decides to burn everything (literally) and start anew. Surprisingly deep subject matter from a genre that is often as not plagued with shallow songwriting. Her composition skills are perfect for this.

Garth Brooks - The Thunder Rolls (full version)
A country song? Hell yes. A lot of people my age seriously underestimate country, and to be honest it's not really that surprising. Ever since Nashville realized what a moneymaker it was the genre has been plagued with feelgood bullshit and extremely tight control. Garth Brooks, from what I understand, was something of a controversial country singer and songwriter. This song is about a woman who is fed up with her philandering and adulterous husband -- as well as there being a very strong subtext of spousal abuse -- and decides one night to finally end it. This is one of the best country songs ever written. Just be sure you listen to the full version (I couldn't find it right now), or you'll miss part of the story. In the video, Brooks insisted on playing the husband himself because he didn't think anyone else could properly show just what an utter bastard the guy was.

Crystal Castles - Untrust Us - When I first heard Crystal Castles I simply ignored them but thanks to that weird hipster girl Caroline I was able to find them again. The summer before my freshman year of college I got into them real hard. I say that because my first semester was awful. I didn't make many friends and my weekends usually consisted of me chain smoking and chugging energy drinks out infront of our creepy-ass library. Well, one Saturday there are two kids smoking tobacco out of a pipe (real fucking classy), they invited me to their friend's 21st birthday party (where no one was dancing!). While at the party a Crystal Castles song came on prompting me to have a conversation with the birthday boy which ultimately led to one of the best frienships I have ever had.

Los Campesinos - We Throw Parties, You Throw Knives is another favorite. Like many, this was the first time I ever heard and fell in love with them. I think I just love all British music because I have such a fucking boner for The Smiths, Bloc Party, and especially Aphex Twin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)