SM OU Z-Fight Thundy! (Peaked 1563 ELO) Needs help to improve :D

H E L L O T H E R E!

My name is Tanim man, and I am here today to share a team I've built and played to a decent ELO on ladder (1500s).
I have been testing this team for a while now and would want to hear suggestions and feedback on the team overall and how it could still improve.
So, with much haste, I present to you the squad!

Starting it off, I wanted to start my team with an uncommon mon in the ou scene. I wanted something that could pack a punch as I was going for an offensive team. I chose Banded Weavile as it is a speedy mon that packs a high attack stat at base 120 boosting it more with the banded set. It can function both as a breaker and a cleaner late game. To couple the weasel, I added in Mega-Medi as its breaking partner. The two complement each other well, hitting most of the meta for at least neutral damage.
-------

Then I chose 2 defensive mons that could pivot between my offensive mons. The first thing I noticed that I needed something to switch into Gren and steel type mons like Mega Sciz that would cause problems for my breakers. Defensive Celesteela covers these threats. I added the OU God Lando-T for some defog and sr utility as well as punishing u-turners with rocky helmet.
-------

Clefable was added for that nice fairy typing and in order to have another win condition especially against fast teams. The last member is also the not so common Thundurus-I. It wraps up the team for another electric and ground immunity as well as an option against rain and choice locked mons.
-------

The Squad In-depth
------------

Fanny (Weavile) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

The first breaker/cleaner of the team. Banded Weavile deals a ton of damage to non-resistant mons. Boasting base 120 attack coupled with base 125 speed, this mon is a force to be reckoned with. Band is chosen over life orb to preserve hp as SR+LO damage is basically 1/4 to 1/3 of health lost just by getting in. This is the mon you want to switchin after something faints, not into attacks. Knockoff is a no-drawback move which hits hard with CB. Pursuit is for trapping those pesky psychic types for Mega-cham. Ice Shard is for priority and Icicle crash for that high damage Ice stab move. Standard CB Weavile EVs.

Ribbons (Medicham-Mega) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Mega-cham is a beastly breaker having a ginormous attack stat thanks to pure power. Dual stab allows it to break past mons dealing at least neutral damage. Zen Headbutt also is taken to allow breaking past through mons like Pex. HJK is obligatory base 130 stab. Hate to miss tho lol. Ice punch is the coverage move of choice able to hit flying types better than thunder punch as it hits prevalent Ground types in the meta as well. BPunch over Fakeout in order to hit fairy types harder and since this mon will likely be switching into a vulnerable mon where clicking HJK is better everytime. BP also allows cleaning potential late game. EVs are for maximum speed and damage output.

Rocket (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Heavy Slam
- Protect
- Flamethrower

Steela is one of the defensive backbones of the team, being able to check threats like Kartana, non-stone edge Lando-T, non-DarkiniumZ Bisharp and the likes. Also soft checks all forms of Greninja, as well as walling non-FightZ Bulu and non-TBolt Lele. Leftovers is a staple for this set which in combination with LSeed and Protect recovers a lot of hp. Heavy Slam to hit fairies hard. Flamethrower is the must have coverage to heed fellow steel types super effectively. EVs were taken from smogon directly.

Fido (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Lando-T is the most splashable pokemon, being able to fit in almost any team like this one. Needs no introduction as it provides the ground/electric immunity as well as intimidate support to check Kartana, non-Dragon Claw Zard X and other physical attacking pokemon. He's the rocker for this team, as well as the defogger. Depending on the matchup, he usually only sets up rocks when needed as the other mon in the team are capable of 0HKOs by themselves without rockes. Defog is a must for those webs and hazard stack teams. U-turn is amazing, generating momentum for the team. EQ is the stab move, still hitting hard with lando-t's high attack stat. Rocky helmet to annoy u-turners that would be free supereffective damage to my breakers. EVs are for max defense and bulk since no leftovers, and are taken from smogon.

Bob (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind

CM Clef fits well on this team, acting as another win condition and SpDef checks to prevalent threats in the meta. Magic Guard allows it to ignore damage from status. Soft boiled is for that recovery combined with CM can make sure that clef gets those boosts. Moonblast is fairy stab, while flamethrower rounds out coverage hitting everything bar Heatran. EVs are max Spdef since I already have 2 phys def mons in the team and Clef dies to physical attacks anyways after boosting. Max Spdef assures minimal damage switching into Gren and Koko, allowing it to setup on special attackers.

Clint (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Agility

Ah, Thundurus. Most of my games I win just because this mon does work. Most people are unprepared for this mon because it is so uncommon in OU. Double Dance Thundy acts as the Special Breaker and Sweeper of the team. This mon is a beast with ginormous Spa stat even before boosting and a decent 331 movespeed. Thunderbolt is stab. Double dance has the Nasty Plot and Agility moves, being used depending on the situation as you most of the time only get a chance to boost once when your opponent switches. The last move is focus blast. And YES IT WORKS better than HP ICE. Having weavile removes the need to run a coverage ice move in this mon. +2 Allout pummeling destroys most mons, especially common switchins to this mon namely Gastro, Heatran. It even 2HKOs Chansey (about 18% left after Z). It deals 60%+ damage to MegaSwampert with +0 Z fighting which this outspeeds in rain. This is the surprise factor in team as it is not a common set (I have not come across anyone running it lately), and it beats mons that would normally wall this guy. With every team almost always having an electric resist mon, FightZ > ElectZ. EVs are for maximum speed to be able to make use of +2 with unboosted speed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

And there it is. This is the team.
I hope that you guys take the time to read and propose suggestions, criticisms, whatever you like.
But for the suggestions, I am hoping to keep my FightZ Thundy as it is as I love to run uncommon sets on uncommon mons.
Other mons are all yours. :) Thank you and play harder! :D

Tan out!

Last edited:
Nice Team. The only problem I can see is that you don’t have speed control, lack of a water resist, and that the Clefable and Lando sets are a little wonky.
Speed Control is pretty much mandatory for a bulky offensive team like this, since although the defensive backbone is strong, it’s not enough to cover every offensive threat.
Without a water resist, Ash-Greninja is going to give you a bad time, as well as rain.
First, I would change your Lando set to the Scarf set. This gives you the speed control you need and still allows you to defog. Defog + Rock Lando isn’t that good since it fails to check Zygarde and other similar Pokémon.
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 148 Atk / 84 Def / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog
Since you lost your rocker, I would change the Clefable set to this.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
Clefable works better as a physical Wall atm since Special defensive doesn’t check anything notable, while Physically defensive allows you to check mons like Hawlucha, Zygarde, and Mega Lopunny. Stealth Rock helps in the stall matchup because Clefable can get them up against Sableye. Wish allows Thundurus-T to consistently check Steel-types, which will be needed with the following change.
Finally, I would change Celesteela to Ferrothorn. Spikes also ease the stall matchup. Ferrothorn gives you a Water-resist as well as a good Tapu Koko check.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 208 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
Good luck in future building!

Hey Tanim man! A pretty solid team you have decided to share with us. Utilising Weavile, which has been on the rise lately, and Thundurus-Therian are both pretty smart and fun decisions to have made. However, the team does have some flaws that I will be going over as well as naimng you some additional threats and, lastly, I will be covering the problems and threats mentioned. So without further ado, let's get started!

Overview:
First off, I think the team is well composed and should, in theory, cover a lot of the threats in the tier. The offensive as well as the defensive synergy is given on the team. The team has almost every component it needs too (rocker, remover, sweeper, tank, etc.), which is needed. The only two important things that are lacking on the team are for one a speed control and for two a
type. Without the speed control you might be susceptible to Choice Specs Tapu Koko or Ash Greninja if you don't run one. And the
type is needed for a lot of the
types running around in the tier right now. I also have some individual set problems like the Clefable or the Landorus-Therian one, which I'm of the opinion could run other, way more useful sets than the ones that are being run right now. But overall I feel like you did a good job at building the team, it just needs some tweaks, in my opinion.
What is your team weak to?
:
This Pokémon is a massive threat to your team. What makes your team so susceptible to it is the fact that you have way too many Pokémon it can come in on and way too many Pokémon that don't appreciate taking a Magma Storm or even a Z-Move. Normally I would have said "Just run a
type", but it's not that easy. There are only a very few counters that would actually fit on the team, which I will be trying to include one of them.
: This Pokémon is actually a realistic threat to deal with as it just chips your team piece by piece. Obviously not every Zygarde set is a problem for you, but specifically the offensive sets are. You take a lot with Clefable, Choice Band Thousand Arrows even 2HKO's it. That comes from Clefable's spread which I personally would never run, even on Calm Mind sets. Also, the fact that Landrous-Therian doesn't run Hidden Power [Ice] for it, doesn't exactly help. I think Zygarde can be covered pretty easily, however, with only one or two tweaks/changes needed to be made.
How can you improve the team?
Major Changes:
>
:
I'm basically making this change for the skae of being able to check Heatran better while also being able to support other Pokémon, specifically the breakers and sweepers of the team, by wish-passing. Now, there are some unconventionalitites that come with this Alomomola set. Firstly, it runs Shed Shell to not be trapped by anything, let it be Heatran, Whirlpool Azumarill or any other trapper. Then it runs Knock Off to actually be able to cripple Heatran as well as a lot of other Pokémon on the switch. *Also, I would like to add that Clefable, let it be Calm Mind or any other set, should always run 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef Bold for checking stuff like Zygarde better. Not relevant in this specific case, but a general thing to consider in your future teams.
Minor Changes:
>
(
):
The main job of this change is to have a speed control of the team. The problem I have with the shared Landorus-Therian set is the combination of Stealth Rock and Defog in one set. Having both moves makes Landorus-Therian unreliable in both aspects, and wastes a moveslot at best. So what I have therefoore decided to do is to replace Defog with Hidden Power [Ice] since an additional Zygarde measure is for sure needed. Having Stealth Rock on a Choice Scarfer might not sound like the best thing in the world, but it was otherwise hard to fit in a solid Stealth Rocker and an additional speed control at the same time while keeping the team cohesive and not weak to too many Pokémon at the same time. The full set is therefore going ot be Earthquake|U-Turn|Stealth Rock|Hidden Power [Ice].
Fake Out > Bullet Punch (
):
This is kind of an optional change here, but I feel like Fake Out should be run over Bullet Punch here, since Fake Out guarantees you a mega-evolution, except for the secnarios of psychic-terrain of course. It also flinches your opponent the first turn it comes in, so that is a nice bonus, I suppose. Anyway, you can keep Bullet Punch or replace it for Fake Out, it's an opinion based decision. The set I would be going for is Fake Out|High Jump Kick|Zen Headbutt|Ice Punch.
Conclusion:
I don't think the team was bad at all. The Pokémon you used and decided to build around are meta conform and have a lot of potential in terms of walling and breaking respectively. As you can see, not a lot of changes were being made the Alomomola was sort of used as a glue and Landorus-Therian was made the speed control on the team that was needed.Weaknesses the team might have are Charizard-Y, Volcarona, and Mega-Mawile. If you have any questions or criticism concerning this rate, feel free to tell me! With that being said, I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and have fun with the team!

Resources:

Last edited:
Thanks dude! I will be sure to test your suggestions as both of you said i go for scarlando. I think alomomola wpuld be good as well

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)