UU Zoroark

CrushinDefeat

Defeat me if you can... Survive if I let you!
QC'ers: [ Calloflochie ] [ Meru ] [ radianthero156 ]
GP'ers: [ GatoDelFuego ] [ Alphose_Elric ] [ fleurdyleurse ]

"This is no Illusion, what you see, is what you get!"

Overview
########

Not even a drop to RU can deter Zoroark from doing what it does best, causing mischief and tricking its opponents with its signature ability, Illusion. Illusion allows Zoroark to masquerade as teammates available in the party until it's directly damaged, which causes Zoroark to be revealed. This gives Zoroark a great niche for psyching opponents out and hit-and-run attacks. In addition to its ability, Zoroark comes with amazing Attack, Special Attack, and Speed. Zoroark's access to Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, as well as a fairly large variety of moves, give it another layer of unpredictability as opponents will be questioning whether it is a physical, special, or even mixed attacker. However, even with the access to several boosting moves, Zoroark is overshadowed by Mega Absol, which’s a physical attacker, and Mega Houndoom, which’s a special attacker. Zoroark also suffers from its low defenses which cause it to be hard to preserve in battle. Although Illusion can disguise Zoroark as its teammate, it can still be easily identified if entry hazards are set. The residual damage causes opponents to notice the difference in HP between Zoroark and the Pokemon it copies. This also makes it harder for Zoroark to remain effective mid- and late-game as its disguises can be figured out. Poor planning will result in Zoroark getting KOed as well. Zoroark also struggles against three common weaknesses; Bug-, Fighting-, and Fairy-types should all be avoided.

Mixed Attacker
########
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Flame Thrower
move 3: Grass Knot
move 4: Sucker Punch
ability: Illusion
item: Life Orb
evs: 196 Atk / 96 SpA / 216 Spe
nature: Naive

Moves
========

With investment in both Attack and Special Attack, Zoroark can utilize Knock Off for great damage against opponents as well as getting rid of Choice items, Berries, and Assault Vests. Flamethrower gives Zoroark coverage against Bug- and Steel-types such as Forretress and Aggron. Grass Knot can OHKO Mega Blastoise, Swampert, and 2HKO Suicune. Lastly, Sucker Punch is Zoroark's priority move which allows it to take out weaker Pokemon and also outspeed faster opponents.

Set Details
========

With a spread of 196 Atk / 96 SpA / 216 Spe, it is easy for Zoroark to KO specially defensive Swampert or Rhyperior with a simple Grass Knot. A Hasty nature maximizes Zoroark's Speed. Furthermore, Life Orb allows Zoroark to dish out more damage against foes but at the cost of some recoil.

Usage Tips
========

Zoroark works best as a hit-and-run mixed attacker. It can work well as a revenge killer or can come in on a weakened Pokemon and finish it off with a Sucker Punch. It's best to have Zoroark disguised as teammates that can use Flamethrower and Knock Off, as this ensures that Zoroark can trick its opponents with Illusion. It's recommended that you plan ahead and organize teammates during the team preview according to what you want to masquerade Zoroark as. Determining what Pokemon goes first and what Pokemon goes last makes a difference in the battle to trick opponents.

Team Options
========

Synergy is needed for Zoroark to be disguised well. Use moves that other teammates would use, such as disguising as a Fire-type such as Infernape that could use Fire Blast. Its also good to have Fighting-type teammates such as Mienshao and Infernape to be disguised as, because if the opponent attempts to attack them with Psychic-type moves, Zoroark can easily switch in for free. Having bulky teammates to take hits such as Florges are great to help Zoroark's longevity. Spinners are also necessary partners for Zoroark to prevent entry hazard damage. Mega Blastoise is a great partner for spinning away hazards, as are Forretress and Donphan.

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Dark Pulse / Night Daze
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Flamethrower
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Specs
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Dark Pulse gives Zoroark great neutral coverage and a 20% chance to flinch opponents, making it useful to prevent opponents from getting possible hits. It's also a great move to use while disguised as a Pokemon such as Lucario or Mega Blastoise. Alternatively, Night Daze can be used over Dark Pulse, sacrificing 5% accuracy for more power and a 40% chance to lower the opponent's accuracy. Bear in mind that while Night Daze is stronger, it is Zoroark's signature move, which might cause opponents to see through Illusion. Flamethrower gives Zoroark coverage against Bug- and Steel-types, taking Aggron and Heracross out quickly. Focus Blast is for coverage against Dark- and Steel-types such as Aggron and Houndoom. Additionally, Trick can be used to cripple walls such as Blissey and free Zoroark of its Choice Specs.

Set Details
========

Zoroark's Speed and Special Attack are boosted to allow it to revenge kill weaker opponents. A Timid nature boosts Zoroark's Speed to edge out any Choice Scarf users or fast Pokemon. Choice Specs allows Zoroark to demolish its competition with strong special attacks. U-turn can be considered in case Zoroark is dealing with bulky opponents such as Blissey or Florges that completely wall it. In addition to U-turn, Grass Knot can also be used to OHKO Rhyperior, Swampert, and deal significant damage to Mega Blastoise and Suicune.

Usage Tips
========

Zoroark can lead well, but might be harder to use later if it's damaged, giving away Illusion. Later, you can Trick the Choice Specs off to mess opponents up if you want Zoroark to utilize all its moves. It's best to not have Zoroark switch in on an attack as this will most likely KO it or damage it, severely ruining its deception. In regards to Trick, it is usually best used on an entry hazard setter or a sweeper as it leaves them stuck with one move. Tricking a Pokemon that is setting up will usually mess the opponent up. Make sure to plan ahead of time and lay out the team for Zoroark to determine which team members it becomes.

Team Options
========

Special walls such as Florges can tank hits and protect Zoroark from Fairy- and Fighting-types. Spinners such as Donphan and Forretress are also necessary to remove any entry hazards to prevent Zoroark from being exposed. Blastoise is a great team member for Zoroark because of its spinning capabilities and strong defenses. It's also best to have different Pokemon to masquerade as, having a variety of teammates allows Zoroark to blend in well. Zoroark can pretend to be an Infernape, as both of them can use Focus Blast. If the opponent switches, you can predict what they will use to counter the Illusion with another move. Chandelure is also a great partner to have; both Zoroark and it can use Flamethrower. Chandelure's typing means opponents will not likely use Fighting-type attacks against a Zoroark disguised as it.

Other Options
########

Zoroark can work as an anti-lead as well because of its access to Memento, Counter, and a Focus Sash. Zoroark can take a hit with Counter, and hang on with its Focus Sash. After this, Zoroark can either use Sucker Punch or go straight for Memento, which leaves the opponents Pokemon as set up bait. Zoroark can also Taunt entry hazard setters or Taunt users themselves, allowing Zoroark's team to set up. Zoroark can also use Choice Band for a physical set. Choice Band lets Zoroark hit like a truck, allowing it to break walls. In addition, Zoroark can also run a Choice Scarf to outspeed faster opponents such as Mienshao, Infernape, and Cobalion. Alternatively, it can also run Swords Dance as a physical sweeper with Knock Off, Return, Low Kick, and Sucker Punch. This Zoroark can take out special walls such as Blissey and can also take out other Pokemon with frail defenses as well however this set is outclassed by Mega Absol, so its worth taking into account. Zoroark can also run Nasty Plot, with Flamethrower, Focus Blast, and Dark Pulse as a special set up sweeper as well. However as with the Swords Dance set, it is also overshadowed by Mega Houndoom which is faster and has stronger stats with a Nasty Plot boost.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Florges and Aromatisse are deadly against Zoroark. Florges can essentially wall Zoroark, and Zoroark can't harm Florges because of Florges's resistance to Dark-type moves and its great bulk. Aromatisse can wall Zoroark to a lesser extent.

**Priority Moves**: Priority is Zoroark's worst nightmare, as getting hit causes Illusion to fail. Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, and Sucker Punch should all be avoided; Mach Punch is even more dangerous and should be avoided at all costs. Hitmonlee and Infernape can 2HKO a physically defensive Zoroark with Mach Punch.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Blastoise can take Zoroark on, thanks to its bulk. Blissey is also a huge problem because of its resilient Special Defense. Because Zoroark is a faster paced Pokemon, it has a hard time dealing with slower, bulkier opponents that can Toxic stall.

**Fighting-types**: Cobalion and Choice Scarf Mienshao have no problem taking out Zoroark as they outspeed it. Infernape can also take Zoroark out with relative ease. Machamp can tank a hit from Zoroark and OHKO with Dynamic Punch.

**Entry Hazards **: Entry hazards such as Stealth Rock will cause opponents to catch onto Illusion, as a Zoroark disguised as a Flying-type won't take double damage like it's supposed to. Forretress is a great entry hazard user, and Donphan can work as well. Toxic Spikes can give away a Zoroark completely; Illusion can't always trick people the way it's supposed to, so paying attention to the battle can give away Zoroark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure to add a Swords Dance set, as well as an all-out-attacker set (Probably could just make a slash with Nasty Plot on the second set.) Also not sure if Choice Scarf is viable or not but give it some consideration.

CrushinDefeat

Make sure to add a Swords Dance set, as well as an all-out-attacker set (Probably could just make a slash with Nasty Plot on the second set.) Also not sure if Choice Scarf is viable or not but give it some consideration.
I think I may have fixed this.

Use Sucker Punch instead of U-Turn on the SD Set.

Also you have no "Other Options" section.

You still have a lot of formatting errors. I'd recommend C/Ping the format from here under the tab that says "New Format Template" and filling in the blanks. Just add another set, since you have 3.

Just posting this for now since this is WIP.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Hey, just wondering, have you used Zoroark competitively before? I would recommend you try it out on a simulator like Pokemon Showdown!. Once you do, you can change up the overview so it's accurate and you might want to try out some of the sets you have there. Just some advice. :)

Sapphire.

Es gibt Licht, wo immer Sie sind
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, just wondering, have you used Zoroark competitively before? I would recommend you try it out on a simulator like Pokemon Showdown!. Once you do, you can change up the overview so it's accurate and you might want to try out some of the sets you have there. Just some advice. :)
This is CrushinDefeat's first time writing an analysis. We were all new at one point and he would appreciate help!

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Okay, I just need to say it: Zoroark does not copy pokemon stat by stat. Zoroark's stats don't change at all. The only thing it copies is how the last pokemon in your party looks like. For instance, if you chose Reuniclus last in your party, whenever Zoroark goes into play, it appears as if Reuniclus came into play.There is a variety of things you need to mention in the analysis. Teammates with about the same HP stat as Zoroark should be chosen to trick the opponent as well as possible (this wouldn't apply to PS! because it applies percentages). You shouldn't use moves on Zoroark that the pokemon you chose doesn't learn (like using U-turn when you look like Chandelure). Those are just a few tips. :)

Edit: I noticed several things. There is no reason to run a Naive nature on the physical attacker set if it doesn't have special attacking moves. The Specs set is stopped short by Hydreigon and Houndoom, 2 very prominent Dark-types, so you probably want to slash Focus Blast somewhere. The Swords Dance set should not run U-turn at all because, well, why would you use it? Also, your reasoning for it was if the opponent out speeds you. If you get outsped, then how do you expect to use U-turn?

Last edited:

CrushinDefeat

Okay, I just need to say it: Zoroark does not copy pokemon stat by stat. Zoroark's stats don't change at all. The only thing it copies is how the last pokemon in your party looks like. For instance, if you chose Reuniclus last in your party, whenever Zoroark goes into play, it appears as if Reuniclus came into play.There is a variety of things you need to mention in the analysis. Teammates with about the same HP stat as Zoroark should be chosen to trick the opponent as well as possible (this wouldn't apply to PS! because it applies percentages). You shouldn't use moves on Zoroark that the pokemon you chose doesn't learn (like using U-turn when you look like Chandelure). Those are just a few tips. :)
Thats not what I meant to say, It came out wrong when I was speaking about it, I meant something different, but none the less its fixed now. I think I may have deleted a section in regards to using moves that give away Zoroark completely, but I think I mentioned it in an Item section when I deleted it, I should have it fixed and updated. Also Thank you for the tips, appreciate it.

Okay there are a number of things that need to be addressed here.

Overview:
  • mention that Illusion is often shattered by entry hazards
  • saying that it's strongest with a timid or naive nature isn't really relevant to an overview
  • swords dance should get a mention if you have nasty plot there.
Specs Set:
  • The correct order for EVs is HP / Atk / Def / SpA / SpD / Spe
  • again, the "attack as a minus" part goes without saying, just mention the preferred nature
  • The usage tips are really lacking. There are a heap of tips you could mention, eg instead of saying that Trick can mess up opponents, describe good situations to use it (against defensive mons). An obvious tip is to avoid switching directly in because very frail and ruins Illusion. A tip about carefully choosing which Pokemon to place at the back of the party in the team preview would suit, too.
  • Team options also need beefing up. Talk about partners that can clear entry hazards. Same with good choices to have at the back of the party for Zoro to masquerade as.
Nasty Plot:
  • The name should be just "Nasty Plot"
  • "Spd" --> "Spe"
  • Usage tips again are way too bare. You need more than just one sentence. Talk about good times to set up Nasty Plot, how Illusion helps in gaining setup opportunities etc. The tips i mentioned above also are relevant here
  • Again, beef up the Team Options.

SD set:
  • Low Kick > Low Sweep imo. It hits Hydreigon, Rhyperior, Kyurem, Krookodile, and Mega Aggron (lol) much harder. The Speed drop generally doesn't matter too much as faster offensive Pokemon can be picked off with Sucker Punch while defensive mons are outsped anyway
  • Agreeing with the above post in removing U turn and Naive
  • In the usage tips you say it's best to lead with Zoro - this isn't really true as SD sets are designed to sweep late-game, so give good examples of when to set up etc.
Personally I'd list the SD set much higher, imo it's probably the best set but i'll leave that for QC.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
Okay there are a number of things that need to be addressed here.

Overview:
  • mention that Illusion is often shattered by entry hazards
  • saying that it's strongest with a timid or naive nature isn't really relevant to an overview
  • swords dance should get a mention if you have nasty plot there.
Specs Set:
  • The correct order for EVs is HP / Atk / Def / SpA / SpD / Spe
  • again, the "attack as a minus" part goes without saying, just mention the preferred nature
  • The usage tips are really lacking. There are a heap of tips you could mention, eg instead of saying that Trick can mess up opponents, describe good situations to use it (against defensive mons). An obvious tip is to avoid switching directly in because very frail and ruins Illusion. A tip about carefully choosing which Pokemon to place at the back of the party in the team preview would suit, too.
  • Team options also need beefing up. Talk about partners that can clear entry hazards. Same with good choices to have at the back of the party for Zoro to masquerade as.
Nasty Plot:
  • The name should be just "Nasty Plot"
  • "Spd" --> "Spe"
  • Usage tips again are way too bare. You need more than just one sentence. Talk about good times to set up Nasty Plot, how Illusion helps in gaining setup opportunities etc. The tips i mentioned above also are relevant here
  • Again, beef up the Team Options.

SD set:
  • Low Kick > Low Sweep imo. It hits Hydreigon, Rhyperior, Kyurem, Krookodile, and Mega Aggron (lol) much harder. The Speed drop generally doesn't matter too much as faster offensive Pokemon can be picked off with Sucker Punch while defensive mons are outsped anyway
  • Agreeing with the above post in removing U turn and Naive
  • In the usage tips you say it's best to lead with Zoro - this isn't really true as SD sets are designed to sweep late-game, so give good examples of when to set up etc.
Personally I'd list the SD set much higher, imo it's probably the best set but i'll leave that for QC.
Implement these changes CrushinDefeat

I've been seeing a lot of Scarf Zoro's with Knock Off lately, are they mixed attackers with it? It's pretty solid and it seems like a pretty good set. Honestly better than a special Scarf variant.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Right. I've made changes in the quote
Remove
Add
Move from
Move to
(Comment)
Change according to comment below
Overview
######## (removed gap between 'Overview' and '########')
  • Everyones favorite fox making mischief and tricking its opponent
  • Illusion, usage to trick opponents into using the wrongs moves, it masquerades another pokemon until it is directly damaged so because of this Zoroark has a nice niche because of its ability.
  • Access to Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, for both physical and special move sets
  • frail lacks great defenses, hard to conserve in a battle, because Illusion shatters due to hazards.
  • Great mixed attacking stats and decent speed
  • fairly large movepool to use
  • disguise easily decyphered in mid-late game
  • poor planning for entry hazzards can give Zoroark away
(While not a requirement, splitting this into pros and cons is helpful so that the QC team can get a gauge on what is missing)

Physical AttackerSwords Dance (more appropriate for the set)
##########
name: Swords Dance (part of the formatting)
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Low Kick (Added space between 'move 3' and Low Kick'
move 4: Sucker Punch/U-Turn (It has a setup move. U-turn is counterproductive)
Iitem: Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVev
s: 252 Atk / 4 SAtkSpD / 252 Spde (The abbreviation for speed is Spe - not Spd.
Naive Nnature: Jolly (+Spd, -SDef) (Changed nature to Jolly and sorted out ordering. Also, no need to list what the nature does.)
(Added spaces into 'move 1:', 'move 2:', 'move 3:' and 'move 4:'. Remember: you do not capitalize the pre-colon bits

Moves
########
  • Throw opponents off guard with a Physical variant of Zoroark instead. (irrelevant and out of place. Furthermore, physical isn't an uncommon set for it.)
  • Swords Dance for the 2x Boost on attacksto boost up. This is easily done due to the switches Zoroark forces. (no need to be so specific as to the multiplier)
  • With a Swords Dance, Knock Off gets a STAB Bonus and 1.5x multiplierKnock Off is a powerful STAB move on the first use. Knocks off target's item. (no need to be so specific about the multiplier)
  • Low Kick, able to get the edge by getting more attack power against heavier opponents
  • U-turn for quick escapes so Zoroark doesn't take too much damage. Alternatively using sucker punch may be better with the STAB and higher BP for STAB and use after Knock Off on the target.
  • Knock off with double attack and STAB hits hard and takes out the opponents items.
Set Details
========
  • Ev’s for Speed at 252 are a must as Zoroark needs to be quick for setting up and attacking at 252.
  • Life Orb for extra boosted damage moves on top of the Swords Dance, layers of damage! and a Naive Nature for the boost in Speed.
  • Alternatively Choice Band maybe added to Zoroark with the Naive Nature to get extra physical damage.(running Swords Dance, making point moot)

Usage Tips
========
Its best to either lead with Zoroark since it is relatively frail and Illusion can only work for so long and attempt to get a sweep going, Or use Zoroark as a sweeper midway or late into the games. Zoroark should be used to confuse the opponents to set up a swords dance followed by attacks. Switch out to avoid priority attacks like ( Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, and others) because they may not only harm Zoroark they may kill it as well. Its also best not to switch in a Zoroark since this kills Illusion and will most likely kill it.
Set up with Swords Dance and its best to switch out with U-turn if Zoroark is out sped.

(This needs to be in bullet-point form. If it is already, make that clearer.)

Team Options
=========
Having defensive bulky Pokemon can help support Zoroark if it switches our leaves, hazards are again a problem as to minimize all damage on it so spinners and defoggers are also needed. If there are faster pokemon than Zoroark switch into something that is bulkier to take the hit, but do not switch into the pokemon Zoroark just copied this will make Illusion not work if that pokemon is damaged while Zoroark isn't.

Special AttackerChoice Specs (once again a more appropriate set name)
########
name: Choice Specs (Once again C&C requirements)
move 1: Dark Pulse / Night Daze (added space between slash and text)
move 2: TrickFocus Blast
move 3: Flamethrower
move 4: ExtrasensoryTrick (Trick goes at in moveslot 4 of sets)
ability: Illusion
item: Choice Specs
evs: 252 Spe/ 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid (+Spe/ -Atk)

Moves
========
  • With Dark Pulse/ or Night Daze its easy to get a good hit on Ghosts and Psychic types, coupled with Specs and STAB powerful moves.Dark Pulse is reccomended for the Dark-type STAB as it gives you the oppertunity to keep bluffing when disguised as another user of the move, such as Lucario or Mega Blastoise.
  • Night Daze can be used if you want a little more power, sacreficing 5% accuracy and a 20% flinch rate in exchange for 5 more base power and a 40% chance to lower the opponent's accuracy.
  • Extrasensory for type coverage against pesky fighting types
  • Flamethrower for coverage against bug types and steel types as well, able to stop them with easey combined with specs.
  • Trick, always good to ruin the opponents set ups, team, strategies, and Pokemoncripple walls which will switch into Zoroark, such as Blissey.
  • In regards to Trick and Night Daze, its important to noteice that Illusion can be easily seen through if these moves are seen.
Set Details
========
  • 252 Spe, 252 SpA are going to be needed since Zoroark needs to hit hard and quickly. Attack as a minus since its going to use SpA moves.
  • Choice Specs is going to boost all Special Attacks, it’ll leave Zoroark locked in but that added damage makes up for it.
  • Timid Nature to get as fast as possible, its going to be a special attacker, but SpAtk and Speed are what count the most.

Usage Tips
========
Zoroark can lead off well, but might be harder to use later if pokemon are damaged it may give away Illusion, Trick the specs off to mess opponents up if you want to have Zoroark utilize all its moves. Its best to not have Zoroark switch in on an attack since this will most likely kill it or damage it severally ruining its illusionary techniques. In regards to tricking, Tricking is best usually on a hazard setter or a sweeper as it leaves them stuck with one move, tricking a Pokemon that is setting up usually will mess the opponent up( so long as its not speed).

Team Options
========
Bulky pokemon like Florges, Tentacruel, or even a Milotic to support Zoroark if it switches out to take a hit and leave Zoroark in the best condition as possible. Team members like Donphan, Forretress are also necessary to spin off any hazards to prevent Zoroark from being exposed. Blastoise is a great team member for Zoroark as well because of its spinning capabilities and strong defenses. Its also best to have different pokemon to masquerade as, having for example a multitude of different types will make it easier for Zoroark to masquerade in with because the moves it may use can be moves that pokemon uses.(For Example if Zoroark pretended to be a an Entei, it's believable that it can hit a flamethrower, or if the opponent switches you can predict what they will use to counter the illusion with another move.) Its best to lay out the team entirely in a order thats best for tricking the opponent for previews.

Nasty Plotter (unnecessary add on)
########
name: Nasty Plot (C&C policy)
move 1: Dark Pulse / Night DazeNasty Plot
move 2: Focus BlastDark Pulse / Night Daze
move 3: FlamethrowerFocus Blast
move 4: Nasty PlotFlamethrower (added spaces after the colons. Stat-boosting moves always goes in move 1 when applicable)
Iitem: Life Orb
Eevs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spde
Nnature: Timid (+Spd, - Atk)

Moves
========

• Nasty Plot boosts are very effective oneasy to set up with Zoroark. Tricking an opponent with an Illusion can cause them to switch out.due to the number of switches it forces
  • Dark Pulse very deadly. STAB damage+ Life Orb+ Nasty Plot is going to hit hard.is the STAB of choice for its
  • Night Daze is a great alternative to Dark Pulse, with a bit more Base Power.
  • Focus Blast to neutralizehit Steel types and other Dark Pokemon, with Nasty Plot its enough to KO many thingshard
  • Flame Tthrower for covering Bug-types hitting Steel-types more accuratelyas well. (there's no space in Flamethrower, no notable Bugs in UU)
Set Details
========
  • Its going to need a 252 Attack and Speed spread with a Timid nature to maximize speed, using a Life orb causes more damage to take out the opponents but also comes at a risk with hp lost. (no need to explain the mechanics of the item outside of situations like 'Choice [accessory] / Life Orb'. Also, you need to separate this so its more than one bullet point. You can get three out of this: EVs, Nature and Item.)

Usage Tips
========
If you’re going to use Night Daze be careful as Night Daze is only learned by the Zoroark family so its a dead give away to opponents. Don't allow Zoroark to fall into danger with hazards as again this will hinder Zoroarks ability and will most likely allow the opponent to catch on if they're paying attention to the game. Its best to use Nasty Plot when Zoroark takes the apperance of a pokemon that may be problamatic towards the opponent. This is an oppertunity to set up a nasty plot which will allow Zoroark to sweep. Do not attempt to set up on speedier Pokemon. It may be risky to use Nasty Plot during a status infliction on the opponent, but it can pay off if the opponent decides to switch. Being able to out predict the opponent is whats key when setting up.

Team Options
========
Carry a Defogger or a Rapid Spinner on the squad, getting hit with a hazard will cause little mistakes that clever opponents can catch to notice Zoroark(this is problematic as it gives away Illusion). Getting rid of Hazards also prevents HP chipping away. Like the other sets stated Zoroark needs bulky teammates to switch into in case it is either outsped by natural speed or by priority, teammates like a Cofagrigus and even Dusknoir can trip up opponents with its defenses. Carbink also has high defenses for Zoroark to escape to. Zoroarks weaknesses are Bug, Fairy, and Fighting, bulky ghosts like the ones mentioned are not only immune to Fighting but resists Bug types and is neutral against Fairies.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Dark Pulse / Night Daze
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Flamethrower / U-turn
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

(you can do this)

Set Details
========

(you can do this)
Usage Tips
========

(you can do this)
Team Options
========

(you can do this)

Other Options
########

Zoroark can be used as a counter lead, with a Sash and Counter it can return twice the damage, Sucker Punch for priority as well and Memento to leave the opponent in shambles, for team members to set up on.
Zoroark can also have a Choice Scarf or Choice Band for a Physical Spread to outspeed many Pokemon or to break physical walls with.

Checks & Counters
########
  • Priority moves, especially Mach Punch, are Zoroark's worst nightmare. Zoroark is frail and easily revenge killed, causing them to be a nuisance and a big issue for it., getting hit causes Illusion to fail, priority moves should be avoided to prevent loss of Illusion or damage.
  • Zoroark suffers from frailty, and lacks great defense/special defense. It can get OHKO’ed quickly by certain Pokemon. (not a check or a counter)
  • Bulky Pokemon : Milotic, Blastoise, can take it on and kill it because of its low defenses and special defenses. Florges can essentially wall Zoroark, Zoroark can’t harm Florges, because of Florges resistance to dark-type movesness and great Special Defensegreat bulk, it stops Zoroark dead in its tracks.
  • Faster Pokemon: Cobalion and Mienshao w/ Choice Scarf have no problem taking out Zoroark easily. Close Combat and High Jump Kicks away!
  • Hazards- certain hazards like Stealth Rocks or Toxic Spikes can give away a Zoroark completely. Illusion can’t always trick people the way its supposed to, paying attention to the battle can give away Zoroark. Zoroark may get the appearance of a poison type but can get poisoned by Toxic Spikes. (not a counter specifically, but rather a hint)
There were lots of issues here. I suggest that you read through a few other analyses to see what kinds of things you include in each section. Also, don't EVER state the obvious outside of stats - we don't want to hear about the mechanics of freaking Life Orb.

Last edited:
Grass Knot is an incredibly good move to remove Swampert, Rhyperior, Hippowdon and other bulky Water-types that wall many pokemon Zoroark can be paired with.
I'd stress that you should change your moves depending on what you want to disguise zoroark as. Also what does Extrasensory hit? Being locked into a non stab 80 bp psychic move seems really bad to me

CrushinDefeat

Grass Knot is an incredibly good move to remove Swampert, Rhyperior, Hippowdon and other bulky Water-types that wall many pokemon Zoroark can be paired with.
I'd stress that you should change your moves depending on what you want to disguise zoroark as. Also what does Extrasensory hit? Being locked into a non stab 80 bp psychic move seems really bad to me
Extrasensory is to counter Fighting types.

Extrasensory is to counter Fighting types.
What fighting types?
Heracross, Toxicroak, and Cobalion (even Virizion lol) are hit harder by flamethrower, mienshao is 2hkoed on the switch by any move (and you don't want to risk the tie anyway). Extrasensory only hits infernape who outspeeds you anyway

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Extrasensory is completely pointless on Zoroark. Remove it and replace it with Focus Blast. I have changed it in my last post too now.

MyNameIsVeryCreative

Banned deucer.
Like i said before in the OU variant, don't use night daze under any circumstance, If you use it then the opponent will instantly know it's a Zoroark in disguise.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I actually think U-turn can be a good move on the Swords Dance set just because Florges completely walls it. U-turn is a great way to give momentum, but it should be noted that it would be used before setting up.

Sapphire.

Es gibt Licht, wo immer Sie sind
is a Contributor Alumnus
I actually think U-turn can be a good move on the Swords Dance set just because Florges completely walls it. U-turn is a great way to give momentum, but it should be noted that it would be used before setting up.
U-turn and Swords Dance on the same set is not productive. U-turn is only good on other sets, just saying.

I am not qc, but I have tried Zoroark and i don't think it should act as a set up sweeper. It is too frail for that. There are too many scarf fighting types in the tier who resist sucker punch. Zoroark should be abusing illusion to lure and eliminate pokemon that threaten one of its teammates, so that it can sweep. An all out attacking set of knock off, flamethrower, focus blast / grass knot / low kick, sucker punch works really well.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I am not qc, but I have tried Zoroark and i don't think it should act as a set up sweeper. It is too frail for that. There are too many scarf fighting types in the tier who resist sucker punch. Zoroark should be abusing illusion to lure and eliminate pokemon that threaten one of its teammates, so that it can sweep. An all out attacking set of knock off, flamethrower, focus blast / grass knot / low kick, sucker punch works really well.
Set up moves on Zoroark work because of Illusion. A scarfed Fighting-type won't be switching into a Crobat, for instance.

Set up moves on Zoroark work because of Illusion. A scarfed Fighting-type won't be switching into a Crobat, for instance.
A zoroark will not take 25% damage from Stealth Rocks. :-P
But, seriously you don't use swords dance or nasty plot to take out one pokemon. You use them to sweep. Zoroark's illusion will come in handy only once in the game. So, you can't set up until late game when its c&c have either been removed or significantly weakened. But, in almost every game, you will have send out all of your other mons at least once until late game. So, your opponent will recognise that it is zoroark and illussion won't save your ass there.

Most Fighting types take A LOT of damage from +2 Sucker Punch and have a chance to die after rocks or 2 turns of Rocks
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mienshao: 221-261 (81.5 - 96.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Zoroark Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 194-229 (66.2 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Heracross takes 61-70% from Sucker Punch so it needs to be weakened and Hydreigon (49-57%)can take one confortably even after 3 Stealth Rock switch but almost anything else dies. Florges takes a lot from a Boosted Knock Off (and Return can OHKO after Rocks of you are into that)and reliable revenge Killers are few.

I wouldn't bother slashing U-Turn (but consider doing so slashing Return with Low Kick as Zoroark has better coverage and lets it beat Pink Core, not to mention you aren't breaking Mega Aggron with it anyway and stuff like Rhyoperior is hit hard enough with Knock Off) because getting Zoroark in is really hard and its moves are really hard to switch into (Knock Off is super effective on the premiere physical wall) and Zoroark prefers stripping items to gainin momentum in my experience.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
A zoroark will not take 25% damage from Stealth Rocks. :-P
But, seriously you don't use swords dance or nasty plot to take out one pokemon. You use them to sweep. Zoroark's illusion will come in handy only once in the game. So, you can't set up until late game when its c&c have either been removed or significantly weakened. But, in almost every game, you will have send out all of your other mons at least once until late game. So, your opponent will recognise that it is zoroark and illussion won't save your ass there.
I completely forgot about Stealth Rock, so that was a poor example. :P

Like i said before in the OU variant, don't use night daze under any circumstance, If you use it then the opponent will instantly know it's a Zoroark in disguise.
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Night Daze vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 374-441 (92.5 - 109.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 351-413 (86.8 - 102.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Night Daze vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blastoise: 302-356 (83.4 - 98.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blastoise: 285-335 (78.7 - 92.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Night Daze vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Shaymin: 341-402 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Shaymin: 320-378 (93.8 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

I wouldn't say never use it; it does have the drawback of the opponent knowing exactly what the Pokemon is after use, but the greater chance to OHKO Pokemon can be more important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)