CAP 4 CAP 4 - Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of low-ground lizards, those not liking the deathworm may enjoy the gila monster or the thorny devil - thorny devil is especially a good choice because its hide is full of spikes. They can also squirt blood from their eyes as an irritant to anything that tries to attack.

I will "move plot" (as in, list possible/feasible moves for) Catoblepas, the thorny devil and the burrowing wolf spider later on.

I have to say I do rather like X_Presumtuous's sketch and the @_@ eyes that scream, "I like to mess up your team." It'll be like Spinda, but with usable stats.

I was going to make a post, I have the design in my head, but I'm such a horrid artist that even after half an hour I can only really draw the head. Its also a komodo dragon, but with a more mystical and less Grumpig design.

As I told you 5 or 6 times on MSN Maniac, that concept is too badass for a "pure utility" pokemon in my opinion. Would've been great for that Electric/Dragon offensive pokemon I've been fantasizing about, but oh well. I really do need to get involved here.
I second this... not the MSN part but y'know

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Beautiful picture Maniac. Unfortunatly (for your drawing) Poison / Ground has won the secondary typing poll so posts from now on should reflect that.

I don't see the problem with some of these having tailwind, I mean, if it has a tail that it could, say, spin rapidly, it could create a - quite literal - tail wind... :happybrain:

For the purposes of this post I divide moves into three categories depending on their relevance to the design. The moves I deem make sense on a given Pokemon are marked Plausible. Such examples include Earthquake Whiscash, Petal Dance Roselia, Hi-Jump Kick Hitmonlee, Heal Bell Chimecho and so on. The moves that stretch the implications of the design are marked Possible. Calm Mind Corsola and Focus Punch Furret are two examples. The moves that make little sense on a given Pokemon are marked Unlikely. Examples would be Rapid Spin Hitmonchan and Explosion Corsola.

The idea behind this is that our Pokemon's movepool would "make sense" if we chose from the "plausible" and "possible" pools.

There are also conditional moves - moves that would make sense only if a certain body part is included in the design. Those will also be listed.

I am mainly choosing from the utility pool of Gravity, Rapid Spin, Wish, non Dark weak Trick Room, OU viable Heal Bell / Aromatherapy, Encore, Memento, Non Dark weak Perish Song, Psycho Shift, Safeguard, Magic Coat, Me First, Snatch, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Tailwind, Mean Look, Block and Haze, as was quoted in the opening post, but adding a few attacking and support options (Especially since we want this thing to be able to sufficiently scare off Garchomp), as well as some useful traits. Feel free to suggest additions to the "utility pool".

Mongolian Deathworm
Plausible: Thunder Wave (Some Electric moves in general), Magic Coat, Snatch, Haze, Knock Off, Block, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Crunch and elemental Fang moves, most notably Ice Fang. The last four require spiky teeth, radula or a similar equilavent.
Possible: Gravity, Me First, Reflect, Light Screen and Encore. Encore requires some stubby feet similar to those found in velvet worms. Perhaps we can also add their retractable claws for a rather nice look.
Unlikely: Wish, Heal Bell, Memento, Perish Song, Rapid Spin, Tailwind, any form of Sleep move, Ice Beam, Thick Fat trait, Levitate trait.

Catoblepas
Plausible: Hypnosis, Haze, Perish Song, Heal Block, Gravity, Haze, Block, Mean Look, Thick Fat trait, elemental Fangs, Head Smash (!!!) We probably don't want to give this thing both Block/Mean Look and Perish Song, keep that in mind. Chaosbreon + Substitute/Perish Song Catoblepas may see use, though, if it ends up being fast. Head Smash seems decent on this guy, considering he also gets a good Earthquake, and it makes sense as the Catoblepas has a head so heavy it can only stare down - it using that head as a bludgeon isn't that far off.
Possible: Ice Beam, Snatch, Memento, Thunder Wave, Magic Coat, Me First, Knock Off.
Unlikely: Wish, Heal Bell, Tailwind, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Rapid Spin, Levitate trait.

Thorny Devil
Plausible: Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Safeguard, Gravity, Block, Haze and elemental Fangs.
Possible: Me First, Snatch, Trick Room, Rapid Spin, Reflect, Tailwind, Knock Off and certain Dragon moves. Tailwind needs a particularly fitting design, as it is hard to design a Poison/Ground with it. Knock Off probably requires a large tail.
Unlikely: Wish, Heal Bell, Trick Room, Memento, Perish Song, Ice Beam, Sleep moves, Levitate, Thick Fat.

Keep in mind this list is rather subjective, and feel free to correct me. I currently hold the deathworm in high favor, as I really like Pokemon based on mythological creatures.

I like the idea of a scorpion, of course to look MUCH different than gliscor. He actually looks more like a flying crab, with a tail.

Plenty time for art submissions. Also, may I remind guys that poison/ground typing is actually an open ended one so if you really want to do something dragon-like you still can so long as it fits both the types. *thumbs up for Maniacalyrasist+*

There are already people going about spider designs so i'll leave that well alone though i'll research other burrowing insects to see if there's anything interesting. My main focus will be on hybrids so that I can get both types in comfortably and allow for plenty of moves so i'm looking into modifying chimeras and such.

Oh, but Wyverii, I'm a pretty bad artist xD
I just wanted to get some sketches out, so people wouldnt forget about it, but I dunno if I'll ever end up with something I like.

kekeke centipedes

Ah yes one more thing. Is it fine that I use MSpaint? I have no digital art program and no (working) scanner so it's currently the only way I can get work here. Some people would categorize that as sprites so I want to be clear.

I'm sure other guys will try it out as well Mr Escalator. ;p

Maniaclyrasist design is really good, i hope this goes into the proposed gallery i would like to see it used in the future for an offensive dragon.

I have a concept. This is based on a number of things;

1 - Typing. I figure its easier to go from the ground typing, and pick an animal that lives on the ground.

2 - Typing. Stunky and Skuntank are poison skunks, and they've nothing to show it aside from a suitable 'poisonous' colouring. Keep that in mind when viewing my design, I've tried to stick to proven pokemon conventions.

3. Stat distribution. Its looking to me that this thing is going to end up fast. Get in, set up, get out. It also needs to look like it can take a hit and keep on truckin'.

4. Movepool. This thing needs utility options, or the concept polls were for nothing. Moves I keep seeing coming up are Rapid Spin, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes. This thing needs to look like it can use the movepool we give it.

After taking these key points into consideration, I propose this, as the concept design for our pokemon

Ahahahaahahaha that was great yourdeadgrandad!

On topic, the best concept up until now is the giant killer earthworm. Although it would've been better bug/ground, I think poison/ground fits that concept well. Not sure how it'll get TR though.

Thanks for the nice comments guys, i'm kind of sorry that Dragon/Poison didn't win now but i'll still submit be submitting a concept for Poison/Ground.

I have the sketches finished already and all I have to do now is colour it so i'll hopefully upload it soon enough.

Giant killer earthworm? Now that doesn't sound like a mondo badass sweeper at all*sarcasm*
What about omgthatkid95's poison/ground spider design?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ah yes one more thing. Is it fine that I use MSpaint? I have no digital art program and no (working) scanner so it's currently the only way I can get work here. Some people would categorize that as sprites so I want to be clear.

I'm sure other guys will try it out as well Mr Escalator. ;p
Here's the rule from the OP regarding the "design vs. sprite" dilemma:

Any rendering medium can be used to present a design, as long as it is a full-sized design. Sprites are not allowed here. Spriting is a separate process that will occur later.
You can draw your design in MSPaint, that's just fine. But don't submit pixel-art, unless it is clearly "full-sized". If the winning design is already in small pixel form, that really doesn't leave any room for other spriters to come in and have a competition.

Giant killer earthworm? Now that doesn't sound like a mondo badass sweeper at all*sarcasm*
What about omgthatkid95's poison/ground spider design?
I was the one who originally suggest a spider, specifically a trap door spider ;-;

"killer" earthworm would make the best utility pokemon, being able to set up... a swords dance? I think that's a cool concept, but I don't think you could work that into a supporting pokemon. Earthworms just don't feel smart enough ;P

Now spiders....

I'll get to work on the spider concept, probably after I go to sleep. It's almost noon ;D

I was the one who originally suggest a spider, specifically a trap door spider ;-;

"killer" earthworm would make the best utility pokemon, being able to set up... a swords dance? I think that's a cool concept, but I don't think you could work that into a supporting pokemon. Earthworms just don't feel smart enough ;P

Now spiders....

I'll get to work on the spider concept, probably after I go to sleep. It's almost noon ;D
No, I didn't mean he was the one to come up with the idea, I meant he was the first to draw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)