CAP 5 CAP 5 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concept: Slightly-Above-Average Joe
Description: A Pokémon with Stats that don't overwhelm in any particular area, but with a Move repertoire that possesses a few surprises and, perhaps, a strategic Ability.

One or two stat(s) could certainly be higher than the others by a decent margin, but nothing horribly extreme. The movepool would be nowhere near what some Pokémon have, but still enough to merit surprises. The Ability would just be the icing on the cake. More or less, I'm looking for a Pokémon that, at first glance, doesn't appear to be overwhelming, something with stats that automatically make it good. But, when used correctly, it would be a Pokémon capable of finding a nice niche in most teams.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Name: Offensive Status Absorber
Description: Is either immune to or able to use an opponent's inflicted permanent statuses to their advantage. Additionally, it should have powerful offensive attacks to take advantage of what would, to most pokemon, be a hindrance.

To differentiate this from say, Guts Heracross, this Pokemon would have its defining role as a status absorber with some teeth rather than a generally offensive pokemon that just happens not to fear burn. In other words, you would want to switch this pokemon into any status without (or with little) fear. I'm not quite sure which types/abilities would best facilitate this, but that is your job.

Name: Very fast mixer

Description: A very fast pokemon one of the fastest in the metagame, but not one that would just end up as another utility lead. It would have a shallow supporting movepool and similar atk and spatk stats, but not very high ones. A great revenge killer and a pokemon made for mixed sweeping. It would also be pretty frail but able to take 1 strong attack.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Name: Very fast mixer

Description: A very fast pokemon one of the fastest in the metagame, but not one that would just end up as another utility lead. It would have a shallow supporting movepool and similar atk and spatk stats, but not very high ones. A great revenge killer and a pokemon made for mixed sweeping. It would also be pretty frail but able to take 1 strong attack.
Syclant.

Deck Knight, you idea is similar to my idea except you're going at the problem from an offensive standpoint. I don't have a problem with it however as both are just varieties of the same concept. If mine doesn't make it, I'll gladly support your idea.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Deck Knight, you idea is similar to my idea except you're going at the problem from an offensive standpoint. I don't have a problem with it however as both are just varieties of the same concept. If mine doesn't make it, I'll gladly support your idea.
Hmm. I must have missed that one when I checked the OP. I can remove it and edit in another one if you would like.

Really, I was trying to think of a way to build a better Hariyama or Ursaring, both of which are similar to the concept but because of their stats/movepools and other traits, tend to do other things better.

Slow But Tough

An offensive Pokemon with low speed, compensated by high defences and unique typing.

Well, this is just my idea for it, a Special-based Ice or Fire and Dragon-type, a large break from the usual mold, as it is slow and not weak to Ice. The reason I picked Dragon is because all non-Uber Dragons (except Kingdra) have a significantly larger Attack then Special Attack. I want to break this mold and reduce the Ice weakness, all at the same time. This is my proposal on how to do it.

Hmm. I must have missed that one when I checked the OP. I can remove it and edit in another one if you would like.
Oh you don't have to delete, I'm okay with it. Now since both are ideas are similar, we could combine our ideas together and submit it as a single idea. I mean, an offensive status absorber is just an sub-class of status counter in my opinion.

Concept: Slightly-Above-Average Joe
Description: A Pokémon with Stats that don't overwhelm in any particular area, but with a Move repertoire that possesses a few surprises and, perhaps, a strategic Ability.
That would be Clefable...
I support the Accuracy Abuser mentioned by IceBug

Name: U-Turn User

Description: I had this idea a few days ago and I'd like to see it implemented. I'm not sure if it'd be effective in this metagame, but a large, bulky Pokemon that can effectively U-Turn after the opponent would basically be a Pokemon setting up a revenge kill without you having to lose a Pokemon.

Name: U-Turn User

Description: I had this idea a few days ago and I'd like to see it implemented. I'm not sure if it'd be effective in this metagame, but a large, bulky Pokemon that can effectively U-Turn after the opponent would basically be a Pokemon setting up a revenge kill without you having to lose a Pokemon.
I think this would be a good idea, but i see the problem of:
When people face [CAP5 winner], they will come to expect the U-Turn, and switch to the appropriate revenge-killer-for-the-revenge-killer

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Concept: Weather Cleaner.
Description: A pokemon who is capable of removing the permanent weather conditions that are pretty much omnipresent on our beloved OU tier.

I remember that before Fidgit we had some weather experiments. Our goals were to see if a Mini-kyogre and/or Mini-Groudon were viable and, eventually, create a rain inducer, a sun inducer AND a weather cleaner. It was pretty much proven that the former two were..well...too broken for OU, but I really don't remember anything being said about the last concept (If it was also considered broken or anything like this, please tell me). So, I've decided to bring it to the table again. Also, for that to happen, it should be able to take hits well from Ttar, Hippowdon and Abomasnow and be a decent threat to them.

EDIT: Note that I didn't say that it should necessarily have an ability that cleans weather. It can also be a good user of sunny day and rain dance, for example.

Also, I am all for Deck Knight's idea.

Concept: The Definate Hazer
Description: A Pokemon that can and will use Haze, and use it well.

It's kinda odd, on everything that has Haze, it's almost an afterthought. I saw it mentioned only thrice out of all the Pokemon that had it, and there was always somehing you could use in its stead.
So, my idea is a Pokemon that can and almost always will use Haze. In addition, it'd probably have phazing moves, as well as Taunt. Electric attacks would also be pretty handy, to stop Gyarados.
It'd probably need to be fairly bulky, to take Swords Dance boosted attacks, and maybe have some form of reliable self-healing, in case it needs to take repeated beatings. A decent attack stat would also be nice, so that if someone just decides to use a faster Taunt right off the bat, it can do something besides running away.

As an afterthought: I find it rather odd that although Haze is an Ice type move, no Ice types learn it. Go figure.

Name: Efficient Status
Description:
A Pokemon that relies on much status in order to fill a unique role in the metagame. I would also like to see a more viable user of infatuation and confusion. Confuse Ray and Attract are two status moves that can hit through substitutes, and would be incredibly useful if approached correctly. In fact, I feel they've been neglected in the metagame and deserve some much needed attention. Furthermore, this Pokemon could potentially be a substitute counter as well, being able to effectively use the status-inducing moves that hit through them.

Also, I wanted to do that physical Blissey idea, but since it's already out there, I support it, whoever posted it.

Name: Status spreader/abuser
Concept: Paralysis, Sleep, Freeze, Burn, and Poison are all game changing effects. A Pokemon that can do all of these with a good amount of unpredictability is something that would help to counter the aggressive metagame that currently exists. I would assume that in order to effectively use these, it would have to be reasonably bulky, as well as somewhat fast.

I support the idea of a mini-Kyogre and/or mini-Groudon, but don't know how to submit it without breaking the rules.

Houndoom, I'll edit my post.
I need to clarify that I want to emphasize the Confusion and Infatuation.
I think I'll combine two concepts suggested (substitute breaker and status user) together, because that seems where mine was heading anyway.

Name: Entry Hazard Stop
Description: A Pokemon that can put a stop to, or even end, the effects of entry hazards to help bring out other Pokemon and help remove their threat to a team. This doesn't have to be through Rapid Spin, but could be done in another way.

Explanation: I have noticed that Stealth Rock and the other entry hazards have been increasing in importance with the addition of Fidgit and the discovery of suicide leads, but Rapid Spin has effectively died out as a viable strategy. Because of the amount of Pokemon that are crippled by entry hazards, I think it would be helpful to have a Pokemon that can stop these effect.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I support the idea of a mini-Kyogre and/or mini-Groudon, but don't know how to submit it without breaking the rules.
I believe this was already tested, and still found to be far too powerful for the standard metagame.

Erm, idk if that's legal or not but if it's auto-weather its not.
I apologize for not replying to this earlier -- I didn't even notice it until now.

No, I did not mean Drought/Drizzle-esque abilities, 5-turn "nerfed" variants included. I meant that the Pokemon would be able to effectively use the actual moves Rain Dance/Sunny Day/Sandstorm/Hail.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Concept: The Definate Hazer
Description: A Pokemon that can and will use Haze, and use it well.

It's kinda odd, on everything that has Haze, it's almost an afterthought. I saw it mentioned only thrice out of all the Pokemon that had it, and there was always somehing you could use in its stead.
So, my idea is a Pokemon that can and almost always will use Haze. In addition, it'd probably have phazing moves, as well as Taunt. Electric attacks would also be pretty handy, to stop Gyarados.
It'd probably need to be fairly bulky, to take Swords Dance boosted attacks, and maybe have some form of reliable self-healing, in case it needs to take repeated beatings. A decent attack stat would also be nice, so that if someone just decides to use a faster Taunt right off the bat, it can do something besides running away.

As an afterthought: I find it rather odd that although Haze is an Ice type move, no Ice types learn it. Go figure.
Articuno does. I'd support this fully, since somehow Haze didn't make it into Fidgit's movepool =(

Name: Entry Hazard Stop
Description: A Pokemon that can put a stop to, or even end, the effects of entry hazards to help bring out other Pokemon and help remove their threat to a team. This doesn't have to be through Rapid Spin, but could be done in another way.

Explanation: I have noticed that Stealth Rock and the other entry hazards have been increasing in importance with the addition of Fidgit and the discovery of suicide leads, but Rapid Spin has effectively died out as a viable strategy. Because of the amount of Pokemon that are crippled by entry hazards, I think it would be helpful to have a Pokemon that can stop these effect.
You mean Taunt/Poison type? Been there, done that.

Ah yeah I can understand that. How'd they go about testing it?
Kyogre and Groudon at Level 78 were allowed, since mathmatically they'd be similar to the stats of a level 100 OU pokemon. Basically chopping 30 base points off thier stats at Level 100 is equivalant (roughly) to normal stats at level 78. Rain and Sun teams were very dominating, and there wasn't much to counter it.

Edit: Then that would be legal ParanoidDrone.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All right, I'll try my hand at a concept:
Name: Behold, the Power of Aura!
Description: This is a pokemon which specializes in reducing its own HP and gaining benefits from doing so.
Explanation:
There a several pokes that have gimmicky sets which involve reducing their own HP, but nothing is really great at it. This pokemon should pretty much need to cut its own HP in some way in order to make any of its sets effective. There are a huge number of existing moves and abilities which fit with this concept, and I think it would grant us more than enough options in the future polls.
(I couldn't resist the Lucario in Brawl reference in the name)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)