Video game music discussion

Squawks Shaft, Windy well, and Kannon's Klaim.

But yeah, actually, one of my favourite DKC songs is 'Krook's March', the Castle theme from DKC2. Outside of DKC, well, Golden sun has an amazing soundtrack, and so does ALttP.

Fire Emblem series has some pretty cool music. Brawl as well, but that's a mix from several games.

The fire emblem music that was used as the hidden music at the Hyrule stage on SSBMelee should be noted. It's my favorite from the Fire Emblem franchise and one of my favorites from the smash brothers series.

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
oh yeah, gusty garden from mario galaxy was pretty fuckin awesome

and yeah, "kannons klaim" was what i was referring to with DKC2's mine music... definitely an underrated song

oh man the credits music from advance wars days of ruin is fucking incredible, probably the best video game music I've heard!

I love the Saturos music, although I've found a lot of people don't, it surprises me. You can listen to all the music from the games in Golden Sun: The Lost Age by talking to a person in the battle arena, holding Select I think.

Can't believe I forgot about those stages, slipped my mind after so long. Sorry about that. Krook's March and the Gangplank Galleon are also up there on my video game music favorites; in fact, I don't think a single Donkey Kong piece listed so far isn't.

I liked the music from the Golden Sun series, especially the battle with saturos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po13j_XNhTg&feature=related

I've reset a few of my games before just to play through them again for the music. Has anyone else done this?

It's been too long since I've played that game, and yes, I can agree with you! Listening to that with surround sound and a deep bass makes it all the better!

I like this tune from Golden Sun; it's the one that made it into SSBM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lep3BQxrg6o

Some DKC songs that haven't been mentioned:

DKC:
Ice Cave Chant
Main Theme B)

DKC2:
Disco Train
Haunted Chase
Flight of the Zinger
Lockjaw's Saga
Snakey Chantey
Jib Jig
Hot-Head Bop
so many DKC2 songs o.o

DKC3:
Hot Pursuit
Treetop Tumble
Water World (GBA version)
Stilt Village (GBA version)
Waterfall (GBA version)
Arich Boss (GBA version)

For anyone who doesn't know, the GBA version of DKC3 has a completely different soundtrack. For the most part, the SNES version of DKC3 has better music, but there are still a few tracks on the GBA version that are awesome.

Best game soundtrack IMO has to be Final Fantasy VIII. Some of the tracks on there are great on their own, but covers by the Black Mages made it a lot more interesting.

norulz

excellent
I believe no one has posted this:

The Castlevania Treasury Remixes

It has some awesome OSTs from several Castlevania games. Mostly oldschool.

Also is anyone here a huge "Clash On The Big Bridge" Black Mages cover fan? I know I am. Their stuff is pretty good.

oh man the credits music from advance wars days of ruin is fucking incredible, probably the best video game music I've heard!
Oh man, I agree. Well, I still prefer some DKC2 songs but Sunrise is so incredibly. It's a shame that main part doesn't loop somehow, and to hear it you need to restart the song.

DoR in general has some amazing music.

yeah, definitely. The start is amazing, but after that it peeters out :/
The CO power music is good, as well as Gage's theme and Will's theme (though I got tired of that one after playing as will in most of the late campaign missions.

I really enjoyed a lot of the songs that Crush 40 produced for the Sonic the Hedgehog series. They just seem to fit perfectly with Sonic's character and the flow of the games.

I also think I've been brainwashed by some of the Zelda themes. Anytime I hear one in day-to-day life (read: Brawl), I'm instantly in a sorta mini-trance and hundreds of Zelda memories just come flooding back alongside a giant urge to dig out the N64.

I think that a lot of the magic from video-game music comes from the memories and experiences from the game itself. It's difficult to explain, but as stand-alone songs they mean nothing to me, but as part and parcel of those fabulous childhood memories they really touch my heart. [/rambling]
Lee is my long lost psychic twin!

I agree that they're are some great tracks that Games have, but considering them the best I'd have to disagree.

I think the obligatory post worshipping Nobuo Uemastu is in order, aswell as the use of actual bands/singers in the FF games. (First song I ever attempted to learn on Bass was Otherworld, alas I failed as I never really played my Bass :P)

Alot of the early 90's games have some classic tracks in which most people have pointed out before so there's no use in going on about that.

Personal Favs from games that I can think of atm, that I don't think have been said. (Only doing one from each game although I like many more :P)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIfZhcdiLQY&feature=related
OoT - Bolero of Fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9zZus_1_ag
Sonic Adv. 2 - Live and Learn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDGBUp25i8U
FFVII - Boss Battle Music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLnZ5jcsRpc
FFX - To Zanarkand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPQFSKCt5oQ&feature=related
DKC - King K. Rool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVO410hEk4
TWEWY - It's so wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5ZzV5Tjobk
SSBB - OoT Melody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x96qQUde_PA
Mario Sunshine

and many more...

I love the Saturos music, although I've found a lot of people don't, it surprises me. You can listen to all the music from the games in Golden Sun: The Lost Age by talking to a person in the battle arena, holding Select I think.
It's the R button =]
Most of the Golden Sun music is wonderful, saturos battle and Briggs/Moapa battle themes are my favorites.

No mention of Mystic Quest Legend? Amazing music. Chrono Trigger of course trumps all, and these two RPG's together meant alot to me during me childhood and still do today. Highlights are the MysticQuest town themes, and on Chrono Trigger Secret of the Forest, Corridoors of Time and Epoch music.

Since this is a pokemon forum, a big shout to the Lake music in D/P. Often turn on the game to put the lake music on, shame it wasnt in SSBB.

I also really like the (few) songs on Savage 1.

PS: Sonic! of course. He turned out a prat, but at least the musics good (but not any of that american teenager nonsence in the 3d games).

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
where is Gerudo Valley theme from Ocarina of Time...best music ever.

paper mario had some great stuff too...the song in the forest and also crystal palace was spooky !!

pretty much any ocarina of time song though

or maybe im just a fanboy

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I guess I'll contribute my lits to this thread, since video game music is quite awesome. I'll edit more in as I can think of them.

Clash on the Big Bridge - FF5 (SNES)

This is an amazing song with some extremely epic moments in it. It was so good that Nobuo Uematsu's band, the Black Mages, decided to re-do it in a rock version at one of their concerts. I love this song.

The Entire Soundtrack to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (SNES)
This game is amazing, and one of the things that contributed to this is the awesome soundtrack. Honestly, listen to the music in this game and you will be impressed.

Dungeon Explorer Soundtrack (TG16)

Not many people know anything about this game, but the music in it is quite awesome. The music in the game sounded like it pushed the TG16 to its limit. I love it to death.

Cyber Core Soundtrack (TG16)

This soundtrack was another gem for the Turbo Grafx 16. Every single stage has some amazing music. If you can find the time to listen to some of the music from this game, you will not be disappointed. I'd recommend listening to stage 1 or stage 8's music, since those were definitely the best songs on the soundtrack.

Chrono Trigger Soundtrack (SNES)

This one has already been mentioned, but I feel the need to mention it again, because it's one of my favourite soundtracks of all time. I particularly like Boss Battle 2, with the extremely intense boss fights against important bosses, though I like the entire soundtrack on its own.

Katamari Damacy 1 & 2 (PS2)

I highly recommend listen to some of the songs in the soundtracks for both of these games. They're both quite cool, and the music fits extremely well with the game, and includes several different genres of music. I particularly like the "Katamari March Damacy" song (I think that's what it's called). "A Crimson Rose and a Gin Tonic", and "Cherry Blossom Color Season" are both completely awesome as well.

All Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice Soundtracks (DS)

Yeah, these don't even need justification for being here. I like all of the intense cross-examination songs, because they add to the tension of the game so much, and it makes an element of the game that can only be brought by good music. I'm going to leave it at that.

Psychic World Soundtrack (Game Gear)

Yeah, this was a shitty portable system (though it was good for its time), but this game in particular had some great music for each of the 5 stages. The music is quite intense, and goes very well with each of the stages. :D

Grandia II Soundtrack (DC/PS2)

This game is very underrated, especially the soundtrack. There was a ton of work put into it, and it has several genres of music. I'd recommend listening to "Cancao do Povo". That song is truly awesome, and if you can understand Portuguese, it's even better since that's the language the song is in.

The Circus/Gundorada Workshop - Dark Cloud 2 (PS2)

These are two songs I particularly like from the Dark Cloud 2 soundtrack. The first song is super-happy, and I am one that likes happy music (as long as it isn't too kooky), so that's how it fits onto my list. The second song has some awesome banjo/latin guitar (I'm not sure which one). This whole game had a pretty awesome soundtrack, but I didn't play the whole game, so I don't remember all the music, since I don't listen to the soundtrack a huge amount.

Earthbound Soundtrack (SNES)

This one doesn't need justification either. The soundtrack in this game made up for the graphics by a huge amount, and contributed very much to this game, making it one of the best games of all time IMO. I very much like the song "Battle against an easy opponent" (I think that's what it's called), and I also like "High on Coffee".

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm proud of my list. :D

I'm not too much into video game music but concurring with Bologo about the Teenage Mutant Turtles IV: Turtles In Time soundtrack - very awesome! I also enjoy the music present in Shadow of the Colossus as well as the Legend of Zelda pieces, particularly Song of Storms and Gerudo Valley from OoT. I liked the Goldeneye 007 music as well :x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)