Other OU Teambuilding Competition Round 5 [Entries OPEN See Post #294]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Manaphy has two sets, one far more anti-meta than the other, and dnite has a ton of sets to work with from band to special... However, I think I've got an idea. Unfortunately, it isn't stall :(

Making stall with random cores seems interesting, but this core is so inviting otherwise I can't run stall on it. I'm guessing the core needs some electric counters (or wacan berry manaphy), as well as probably needing a good defensive steel pivot. Ice/Elec is kind of an odd resist pattern having only a few dedicated pokes that resist the legendary boltbeam attack combo. Grass 4x resist Dnite and Ice 2x resist manaphy is probably the main focus of their own individual interactions. Manaphy wallbreaking/early game sweeping for Dnite late game could work, as manaphy's coverage takes a ton of pokemon, including garchomp/lando-t leads that could mess with Dnite late game.
Of course you end up going stall, when my first thought is hyper-offense

You definitely need something to clear rocks so Dnite can be relevant as anything with multiscale. Issue is, 90% of defog-ers are weak to ice/electric, both of which you want to avoid as the core gives those weaknesses initially.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Defog

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 224 Atk / 32 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

Seeing as I took the choice of having both Dragonite and Manaphy be set-up sweepers, the rest of the team was chosen to weaken things that would potentially shut either of them down.

Garchomp lures in Pokemon who are checks to Physical threats, and then use a surprise Draco Meteor or Super Effective Fire Blast to take the check down. Hippowdon, Gliscor, Landorus-T all fall if they've taken a hit before Draco Meteor, or are severely weakened if it was the first hit. Heatran tends to draw switch-ins from bulky Water-types, who take small amounts of damage from his Lava Plume, but become very limited in their ability to wall Manaphy later on if Burn or Poison damage racks up. Thundurus is a threat of its own with powerful Thunderbolts or Focus Blasts, but the rest of the team greatly appreciates the Thunder Wave support, being mostly slow Pokemon. Manaphy only hits 328 with its max+ Speed, so if Thundurus manages to Paralyze 1 or more speedy Pokemon, it greatly improves Manaphy's ability to contribute in the early-game. The three of them (Garchomp, Heatran, Thundurus) form a core whose individual weaknesses are covered by at least one of the other two. Mandibuzz is an all-around decent check to Physical threats, while at the same time has access to the nifty Defog.

Garchomp or Heatran usually lead depending on who would have a favorable match-up against potential enemy leads, but situationally Thundurus or Manaphy can as well.

Edit: Whoops, I'm not sure how to make spoiler tags on this site. Sorry it doesn't look like it should.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edit: Whoops, I'm not sure how to make spoiler tags on this site. Sorry it doesn't look like it should.
Word of warning: This team is incredibly landorus-i weak, with thundurus serving only as a check.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 629-749 (162.9 - 194%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Manaphy: 227-269 (66.5 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 77-90 (23.5 - 27.5%) -- 76.8% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Landorus Hidden Power Ice vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 317-374 (96.9 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Mandibuzz: 211-248 (49.7 - 58.4%) -- 68.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Landorus Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Garchomp: 328-390 (91.6 - 108.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 4 HP / 4 SpD Thundurus: 183-216 (61 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Landorus Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 4 SpD Thundurus: 190-224 (63.3 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The only check, but can only come in and force out landorus-i once.

On that note, its very thundurus-i weak as well, as it can 2HKO anything on your team with ease, again with your own thundurus serving as your only shaky check. If they have both... well gg.

Lcs865

I heard Stuntank does a mean defog...

No, stall with these two would probably mean something along the lines of a rain setter manaphy with a Parashuffling dragonite, and it simply isn't practical to have manphy's frankly average stats (and no crucial pokemon that it resists)... which is why you don't see it on stall to begin with.

Also brings up an interesting point... this is the first week a mega has NOT been in the core. Meaning that the team orientation can be easily determined by that choice.

I heard Stuntank does a mean defog...
I took this as a challenge since it's not like I'm winning anyway. Just here to have fun :D

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Toxic

Manaphy @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Tail Glow

EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Serious Nature
- Earthquake
- Hurricane
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Serious Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Rain Dance

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Politoed was an obvious choice to get Rain up. I've already got some powerful offensive Pokes in the core, so a Stallitoed is best for my team.

Manaphy is a powerful wallbreaker or lategame cleaner. Psychic lets it hit MVenusaur, who troubles my team, the other moves are self-explanatory.

Dragonite is my primary sweeper. Max SpA and Speed to abuse Hurricane in the Rain, and Dragon Dance brings his subpar Speed up to snuff and brings his Attack up to a respectable level so he can hit with Dragon Claw and Earthquake for Special Walls and Steels/Rocks. Weakness Policy brings his Attack and Sp Attack both up two stages, making him a terrifying mixed sweeper if it procs.

My team is now very BoltBeam weak so let's throw Magnezone on there to resist the whole combo. Specs Thunder in the Rain is stupid good, Volt Switch helps me build momentum, Flash Cannon for STAB and doinking Fairies and Ices (half of BoltBeam down) and HP Ground hits Electrics (there's the other half down) as well as letting it fulfill it's usual role of Steel trapping.

WeakNite needs Multiscale to be effective, so I need a Defogger or Rapid Spinner. Almost all Defoggers are weak to BoltBeam in one form or another, MBlastoise and Starmie share too many weaknesses with Politoed and Manaphy, Donphan is a joke, Exca doesn't like Rain-boosted Water attacks flying around. So instead of doing the logical thing and grabbing a MScizor, I chose Skuntank because #YOLOSWAG. Max HP/Sp Def gives it some durability, Aftermath punishes physical attackers who try to take it out, Defog removes hazards, Rain Dance in case Politoed bites the dust, Poison Jab to hit Grasses that threaten my Waters.

And then because 2 of my team has SE STAB on Grass and another resists Grass, I didn't see the harm in slapping Scarf Rotom-W on there to abuse Rain with Thunder and Hydro Pump and maybe screw with a wall or two. Also gives a second Ground immunity if you want to try abusing the shares weakness of Magnezone and Skuntank.

And here's a replay of Skuntank putting in work since replays seem to be trendy right now: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92406622

Last edited:

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
I took this as a challenge since it's not like I'm winning anyway. Just here to have fun :D

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Toxic

Manaphy @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Tail Glow

Serious Nature
- Earthquake
- Hurricane
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
Serious Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Rain Dance

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Politoed was an obvious choice to get Rain up. I've already got some powerful offensive Pokes in the core, so a Stallitoed is best for my team.

Manaphy is a powerful wallbreaker or lategame cleaner. Psychic lets it hit MVenusaur, who troubles my team, the other moves are self-explanatory.

Dragonite is my primary sweeper. Max SpA and Speed to abuse Hurricane in the Rain, and Dragon Dance brings his subpar Speed up to snuff and brings his Attack up to a respectable level so he can hit with Dragon Claw and Earthquake for Special Walls and Steels/Rocks. Weakness Policy brings his Attack and Sp Attack both up two stages, making him a terrifying mixed sweeper if it procs.

My team is now very BoltBeam weak so let's throw Magnezone on there to resist the whole combo. Specs Thunder in the Rain is stupid good, Volt Switch helps me build momentum, Flash Cannon for STAB and doinking Fairies and Ices (half of BoltBeam down) and HP Ground hits Electrics (there's the other half down) as well as letting it fulfill it's usual role of Steel trapping.

WeakNite needs Multiscale to be effective, so I need a Defogger or Rapid Spinner. Almost all Defoggers are weak to BoltBeam in one form or another, MBlastoise and Starmie share too many weaknesses with Politoed and Manaphy, Donphan is a joke, Exca doesn't like Rain-boosted Water attacks flying around. So instead of doing the logical thing and grabbing a MScizor, I chose Skuntank because #YOLOSWAG. Max HP/Sp Def gives it some durability, Aftermath punishes physical attackers who try to take it out, Defog removes hazards, Rain Dance in case Politoed bites the dust, Poison Jab to hit Grasses that threaten my Waters.

And then because 2 of my team has SE STAB on Grass and another resists Grass, I didn't see the harm in slapping Scarf Rotom-W on there to abuse Rain with Thunder and Hydro Pump and maybe screw with a wall or two. Also gives a second Ground immunity if you want to try abusing the shares weakness of Magnezone and Skuntank.

And here's a replay of Skuntank putting in work since replays seem to be trendy right now: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92406622
We have 4 pokemon in common between our teams, so I can't help to say but this is very good. Lol, and we're both doing rain dance teams (Not sure if you sampled from me :p) . Can't help to say though that I think Mandibuzz would do better than Skuntank in terms of defog.

Well the two were required, Politoed is duh, and Magnezone is the only OU mon that resists BoltBeam iirc. Also I didn't want to use Mandibuzz b/c it's BoltBeam weak, reducing my options to MScizor (logical) and Skuntank (#SWAG). Also I have to say I haven't even looked at any of the other teams xD Looking at your team, our Politoeds are similar, but my Zone is Specs and HP Ground to your Scarf HP Fight, my Manaphy doesn't use Sub, and my Dragonite is pretty much entirely different than yours.

My turn. No rain, just a ton of offense

Importable
Manaphy @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Surf
- Tail Glow
- Ice Beam

EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Return

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Reasoning
Obviously this was a mandatory part of the core, so I used him. I decided on a Weakness Policy set, because that item was made for it. Anything that isn't a Mega Abomasnow Blizzard or Specs Ice Beam won't kill it before it can receive the boosts, so I felt it was the best set to use.

Once again, obviously mandatory. The set is pretty standard, but I decided Energy Ball was most important coverage wise, especially since I won't be staying in on all too many Mega-Venusaurs unless I have to.
Talonflame was really a given for me as it gave me much needed priority and, more importantly, a reliable way to kill Mega-Venusaur. Banded because it's the only decent set imo (Return is 100% filler, couldn't think of anything else)

Mega Gardevoir was just chosen over Mega-Mawile, as I wanted another Special Attacker. This set pretty much 2HKOes anything I've faced, and the CM boosts make it near unstoppable

Excadrill was a tough choice over Skuntank, but I decided that Exca fit the playstyle I go for better, as well as offering Rapid Spin which clears hazards without making Bisharp insta-win.

AV Goodra is Blissey with offensive presence. Literally the only issue is it can't recover, but it usually doesn't matter if it's against a Special Attacker. Gooey enables it to slow down any physical set-up sweepers for something else to revenge kill if necessary.

Honorable Mentions
I decided overall that Goodra was a better alternative to Blissey as it fit my playstyle better. Whether or not which one is "better" is irrelevant on this one

Similar to the Blissey argument, only this time is was more because of the move Defog vs. Rapid Spin. Bisharp is far too common to me to use Defog over Rapid Spin. Call me old fashioned.

Manaphy @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Giga Drain

Mandibuzz (F) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Toxic

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Rock Slide

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 200 Spd / 252 SAtk / 56 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Roost

I was very narrowminded while making this. I first built up the contest core, and the pokemon I felt worked best with each of them to defend them. Then did it again with pokemon that didnt have the same weaknesses.

First half:

Manaphy - I don't like manaphy, personally, as I prefer Keldeo as a water type sweeper. So I stuck with the more obvious tail glow set, and gave it a expert belt so that I don't die to LO recoil

Dragonite - Choice Band Dragonite makes a great lead, and great priority. I bulked it out because I didn't want a + speed nature, and 252 ev's in base 80 is very lacklustre.

ferrothorn - specially defensive. sponges all the ice, electric, grass, dragon, and even possible rock and fairy types that assaults the above duo. While only equipped with a weak giga drain to attack, I feel like thats useful against will-o-wisping Rotoms. Gave it rocks, thunderwave to slow down attackers dragonite and manaphy would appreciate taking out, and seeds to increase longevity. I gave it lefties because it will mostly be facing special attackers.

Second half:

Mega Mawile - mawiles intimidate boosts its team playing capabilties, and as a mega, its sucker punch is welcome priority. I gave it rock slide to hit lured talonflames, which happens oddly more often then not

kyurem b - I gave up fusion bolt for roost, but in exchange, I dont fear life orb recoil. I dont need him to carry fusion bolt anyway, because his job to take out rotom who is a very annoying pokemon.

mandibuzz - physically defensive, defogs, toxic and roost. Rocky helmet and roost spam is surprisingly effective, and while it doesn't resist a lot of the things that mawile and kyurem are weak to, its bulk is more than enough often enough.

aegislash and venusaur were going to be the defensive and special walls respectively, but I found too many compounding weaknesses on this build.

Keldeo was around for a while, but provided redundant coverage with manaphy, who, out of the two, unfortunately, had to stay.

Manaphy @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Giga Drain

Mandibuzz (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Toxic

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Rock Slide

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 200 Spd / 252 SAtk / 56 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Roost

I was very narrowminded while making this. I first built up the contest core, and the pokemon I felt worked best with each of them to defend them. Then did it again with pokemon that didnt have the same weaknesses.

First half:

Manaphy - I don't like manaphy, personally, as I prefer Keldeo as a water type sweeper. So I stuck with the more obvious tail glow set, and gave it a expert belt so that I don't die to LO recoil

Dragonite - Choice Band Dragonite makes a great lead, and great priority. I bulked it out because I didn't want a + speed nature, and 252 ev's in base 80 is very lacklustre.

ferrothorn - specially defensive. sponges all the ice, electric, grass, dragon, and even possible rock and fairy types that assaults the above duo. While only equipped with a weak giga drain to attack, I feel like thats useful against will-o-wisping Rotoms. Gave it rocks, thunderwave to slow down attackers dragonite and manaphy would appreciate taking out, and seeds to increase longevity. I gave it lefties because it will mostly be facing special attackers.

Second half:

Mega Mawile - mawiles intimidate boosts its team playing capabilties, and as a mega, its sucker punch is welcome priority. I gave it rock slide to hit lured talonflames, which happens oddly more often then not

kyurem b - I gave up fusion bolt for roost, but in exchange, I dont fear life orb recoil. I dont need him to carry fusion bolt anyway, because his job to take out rotom who is a very annoying pokemon.

mandibuzz - physically defensive, defogs, toxic and roost. Rocky helmet and roost spam is surprisingly effective, and while it doesn't resist a lot of the things that mawile and kyurem are weak to, its bulk is more than enough often enough.

aegislash and venusaur were going to be the defensive and special walls respectively, but I found too many compounding weaknesses on this build.

Keldeo was around for a while, but provided redundant coverage with manaphy, who, out of the two, unfortunately, had to stay.
Just use Power Whip on Ferrothorn:
4 Atk burned Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 84-100 (27.6 - 32.8%)
4 SpA Ferrothorn Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 96-114 (31.5 - 37.5%)

The tiny extra damage isn't worth it given that Power Whip is way more powerful in every other situation.

Manaphy @ Assault Vest
EVs: 60 Def / 252 HP / 196 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- U-turn
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stun Spore

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 168 SDef / 108 Atk
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Earthquake

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Pokemon:
No Defensive Manaphy? Smh, it has respectable bulk, along with the ability to force switches a lot due to many people suspecting a Tail Glow, in which Manaphy can cripple them with Scald or Knock Off. It is a bit slower with the U-Turn, which I LOVE to switch out of the Grass-type switchins to bring in Charizard safely. Knock Off is just too good, like wow. The EVs on Manaphy allow it to avoid the 2HKO from MC-Y's Solar Beam and also only have a 0.2% of being 3HKOed by CRUMBLER's Shadow Ball w/ Life Orb. This Manaphy is great really, so bulky, plus I have Sylveon to Wish pass. Manaphy is a part of the WFG core that I usually run, and this time I decided on Amoonguss. Amoonguss is a great Pokemon in OU, being a great tank and possessing Spore, which aids in the ultimate goal: MC-X DD Sweep. MC-X was basically just an excuse to run, because my background on my computer has been it for like a few months idk why, and now I get to use it so yay. Manaphy + MC-X + Amoonguss have great symergy, only really having an issue with MC-X. Then, I had Dragonite on, as it was part of the core. It is a really unconventional set, yes. But, I'm absolutely in love with it. It provides TW support for my team and can phase away so many things, it has such great bulk and constant recovery. Excadrill is a staple on almost all my teams, honestly. Its RS + SR support is almost always crucial, and fuck Donphan. Sylveon is the last Pokemon, keeping my team healthy throughout the match.

Synergy:
WFG Core - These three together form a very powerful core, and I love what Amoonguss brings to the table. I'll admit, this certain core is odd, it is stopped by CB Talonflame, along with Landorus-Therian that are played correctly. I also lack a reliable stop to Garchomp, however these all are pretty much stopped by Dragonite, bar Garchomp, but see Sylveon.

Sylveon - Sylveon just synergizes with my team, as it passes Wishes and keeps my team healthy, a true star of the team.

/lazy post (I'm tired, will fix up tomorrow :x)

Ok third times the charm this time I built a balanced team utilizing Wacan Berry Tail Glow Manaphy and Banded D-Nite. Escavalier was added because of his defensive synergy and incredible bulk along with threatening power with an assault vest. Then Latias for defog and more special walling especially fire types. Rotom-W just is Rotom-W and checks a lot of defensive threats and punishes defensives switch-ins with volt switches into sweeper. SD Mega-Mawile is a massive threat and the real counter to his Fire Fang set: Heatran is easily taken care of by Manaphy and D-Nite.

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Drill Run
- Pursuit
- Iron Head

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Recover

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

Mawile (M) @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang

I'm going to have to keep this one brief as I'm really busy right now :(. This team was based the offensive core of Mega-Mawile and Manaphy both can be incredibly dangerous if either is allowed to set-up and each has different Pokemon who are "set-up fodder". Psychic Manaphy is great as it eliminates Mega-Venasaur as a counter to Manaphy. This means that Manaphy at +3 can only be blocked by the pink blobs and checked by the lati@s who are complete set-up fodder for Mega Mawile. Manaphy fears in Grass and Electric are well covered by Latias while Mawile's weaknesses to Fire and Ground are covered by Rotom-W and Latias. Vestcavalier is an underrated threat that checks/counters a lot of strong special attackers in the tier such as Latios. Vestcavalier hard counters powder with overcoat and wrecks shop with STAB Megahorn. Pursuit eliminates Latis who run away expecting a megahorn. Banded D-Nite is a great late game cleaner after my opponents team has been washed and smashed by Manaphy and Mawile and can also be a powerful wall-breaker that unlike Talonflame is not suicidal. I chose Outrage over Dragon Claw as most defensive pokemon are not used to choice banded Outrage spam and if I'm gonna be locked in to a move anyways I might as well use Outrage. I used to ran speed instead of bulk on D-Nite but there isn't really anything significant I outsped so I switched to a bulkier spread.

Edit: I think I got some good replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92600623 - This replay demonstrates the offensive and defensive pressure this core puts on the opponent with Band Dragonite pulling off some BA late game cleaning also lotsa parahax XD
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92963314 - This demonstrates the complementary nature of Manaphy-Mawile in sweeping

Last edited:
That is my team for that week:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Klefki @ Light Clay
EVs: 152 Def / 252 HP / 104 SDef
Bold Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 92 HP / 164 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Slack Off

The aim of my team is to spupport and promotes the threataning setting up ability of both pokemon of the core :
  • Manaphy hits on the special side, after a tail grow, few pokemon are able to deal with it. It can sxitch into pokemon such skarmory, heatran which will have no other choice than switching or phazing it out ( taking the risk to take huge damage btw ). It also able to severly weaken rotom-W. Energy ball is prefered over psychic for the coverage because latios can use its own stab to hit threat like Venusaur or Conkeldurr
  • Dragonite is a monstreous late game cleaner, by the support of klefki and multiscale, the weakness policy may be activated even by kyurem-b ice beam !!! After a dance only few scarfed, priority attackers or deoxys are able to deal with it. Skarmory wall it and need to be weaken before.
  • Klefki, as already mentionned, will support the core and obviously the whole team by putting walls during 8 turns, paralysing fast threat, killing threats, which set up with impunity on it, by using foulplay. Its type give a good coverage with dragonite and manapy, only the electric weakness is not cover.
  • Latios is a key of that team as it's the only one able to manage landorus-i or keldeo for example. It will also use defog to let the field clean for dragonite thanks to defog. Moreover it's ability to hit both special and physical ( psyschok ) allow to struggle a bit stall team or defensive core.
  • Bisharp comes here in the aim to take some special hit and trap ghost/psychic type as aegislash which can take profit of latios. It is able to revenge kill with sucker punch and weaken some stallers to leave the way open for manaphy/dragonite
  • Hippowdon is here to stop most of physical threats, rock slide has been chosen to manage Pinsir/Talonflame/volcarona which could be a problem for the team otherway.

Here are all the difficulties i met and i'm trying to solve, if you see how to deal with them or find new team's weakness, please tell me.

• The first difficulty i have, it's against stall team, especially those using Chansey/Skarmory core. I have no volturn to weaken them, and no pokemons able to deals with both. Manaphy is walled by chansey, even at +6 !!! In the other hand skarmory wall dragonite and is able to phaze it away. I'm currently trying to use fire punch in dragonite for seeing how this could work. But the thing is stall teams are quite rare nowaydays.
  • Azumarill is a threat i can have trouble to manage when it come in bisharp/hippowndon/latios. Indeed, i have no safe switch and i can have trouble to revenge kill it even if dnite/manaphy are not particulary azumarill weak.

Importable
Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Dragonite @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 96 Spd / 160 Atk
Mild Nature
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Perish Song

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Rash Nature
- Hurricane
- Rain Dance
- Tailwind
- Superpower

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- U-turn
- Rain Dance

Explanation
So starting with the core of Manaphy and Dragonite, I decided to make a rain team, so Politoed was an automatic addition. I opted for a Wacan Berry set for Manaphy as a partial solution to the electric weakness on the team, a mixed Dragonite to abuse rain, and a physically defensive, RestTalk Damp Rock Politoed. I then wanted to include a Swift Swim abuser, and I opted for Ludicolo, because of its Grass/Water typing, and a good special movepool. After that, I decided I needed some Rain Dance users, and although it might not be the optimal choice, I decide to run Tornadus, as after hundreds of OU battles, I still haven't faced it. It can set up Rain Dance or Tailwind, abuse Hurricane, and Superpower helps deal with Tyranitar. The last pokemon was problematic, as I wanted a defog user that didn't compound the Electric weakness of the team, but because of Defog's lack of distribution amongst 5th and 6th generation pokemon, I had to make a suboptimal choice, and opted for a support Mew.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.

Usatoday (Deoxys-Speed) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Atk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Fire Punch

Willie Nelson (Garchomp) @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Rock Slide

Silent Reaper (Scizor) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Atk / 148 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Saph (Excadrill) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

The DragonKnight (Dragonite) @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Fairy Witch (Manaphy) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 90 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 162 Spd
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Deoxys-Speed is an incredibly great anti-lead in the current meta, with it's blazing speed, access to Taunt & two forms of entry hazards in Stealth Rock & Spikes, it's no surprise that he is one of the main key points to my teams success. I run Fire Punch as a filler move in order to get some good damage on those pesky Steel types.

Mega Garchomp is an absolutely amazing wallbreaker for my team, due to his 170 / 120 Attacking stats & fantastic coverage. This guy helps tear down Pokémon that may wall my main sweepers, Manaphy & Dragonite.

Scizor is my Offensive Pivot & Trapper. Scizor does a very impressive job at trapping some troublesome Pokémon that can threaten my sweepers heavily, those Pokémon included are Latios & Latias, & other Dragon Pokémon such as opposing Dragonite, Mega-Garchomp, & the lot. He is also the bulkiest member of my team, being able to switch into Draco Meteor & other powerful moves time & again with the usage of Roost.

Excadrill is a pivotal member of my team, clearing the field of hazards, while also being my Fairy check. It provides Rapid Spin support for my Dragonite, to keep his Multiscale intact, so he can come in safely & sweep more easily. Excadrill can also take out Aegislash & Gengar with Earthquake, the latter one due to Mold Breaker. Iron Head is solid coverage against Fairies that trouble my team.

Dragonite is one of my two main sweepers on this team, using his high Attack stat in combination with Multiscale & good typing in order to tear through the opposition. Weakness Policy in conjunction with Multiscale is really amazing, because first I'll use Dragon Dance, & if they hit me with a Super-Effective attack, his Attack is raised by two stages & nobody would like to face a +3 / +1 Dragonite, & if they switch out, I could get off another Dragon Dance in order to sweep through the opposition.

Manaphy is the last member of my team & my Special Sweeper / Late Game Cleaner. I went with the bulky EV spread for it to survive some attacks while still boosting his Special Attack to sky-high level, then tearing through the opposition. When at +3, Manaphy's Special Attack hits a stat of well over 900, which will absolutely flatten anything that doesn't resist its attacks.

Last edited:
Well this was a little stranger than I thought.... But I'm quite proud of this little gimmick team. I always wanted a gravity team in 5th gen, but could never make one good enough for competitive play (then again, I also was trying the hazard gravity stall).

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Tail Glow
- Scald

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Mild Nature
- Thunder
- ExtremeSpeed
- Blizzard
- Earthquake

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Gravity
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Gravity
- Thunder
- Blizzard
- Recover

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Gravity
- Dark Void
- Encore
- Sticky Web

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Setup is pretty obvious: Lead/GravityEarlySweeper/GravitySetter/SecondGravitySweeper/Non-GravityLateGameSweeper/Cleaner

This is, very obviously, a gravity team. Smeargle, my lead, tries to get a free sleep (both replays show him getting ferrothorn (No spore)) before setting down sticky web and gravity. He actually generally survives this process and so I can fodder him in the future. The issue is, he doesn't always get off the field cleanly and dark void seems to get me 2 free turns max. After that, it's my choice of who I can run into. Vs ferrothorn, my best option is Landorus-i with focus blast.

Lando-I carries his own gravity if need be, and it's nice to force flying types to get sticky webbed so I can outspeed just about everything. Focus Blast/EarthPower appeared redundant at first, but my two main targets are Ferrothorn and Blissey here, and hitting every time with focus blast really helps take down the blob, or at least disabling it.

Porygon2, of all the setters I tried, is by far the most reliable. He takes all kinds of damage with no issue, fires back incredible amounts of bolt beam spam (And this isn't the standard boltbeam, it's Blizzard Thunder, packing a major denting power) and can get me some interesting abilities to use. He's my standard pivot, so finding WHEN he comes out is difficult. He comes out multiple times, in between multiple parts of my strategy, and sets gravity. With his bulk, as long as he isn't facing a boltbeam resist, I can expect him to at least get one pokemon broken beyond repair or killed, and then expect another gravity set before he goes down.

Dragonite's set is a special boltbeam coverage that works best after Porygon2 sets. While I didn't bother to mess with rocks, he doesn't seem to mind as long as gravity is putting up some minus speed on the opponent. And with EQ, this thing has coverage to almost every pokemon in the game, taking heatran+Magnezone, both who don't care about boltbeam anyways.

Manaphy is actually a late game sweeper with that set, coming in only after most of my gravity setters are gone and outspeeding things that would normally win (Aka Manectric-mega). With Wacan berry, Manaphy can get a free turn to set up and easily take an electric hit. Generally, manaphy's best switches come after Dragonite dies.

Lastly, my mega and cleaner. Often enough, gravity ends a bit early and I can't manage to get another one set. I'll try and lure a pokemon out that scizor can set up on by foddering off a weaker poke. Scizor, with one SD, is a monster that teams just can't take. If I've got their fliers down, it probably is GG unless I haven't done a good job weakening them previously. The opponent is generally slow enough through sticky web that nothing stops him, and Scizor isn't weak to any priority. It's pretty mindless, really. The top replay kind of shows that.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92705773
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92704300

Plot Twist: I'm entering a team for this round too. Just because I felt like it and I want to push people to have to step it up.

Explanation:

Once Gary and I decided on the core, I had a pretty good idea of how to approach this core. When I built the team I knew that I wanted to utilize Dragonite and Manaphy wallbreaking capabilities to set up a sweep for another Pokemon. This is where Zard X came in. With the core of Zard X / Dragonite / Manaphy I knew I had most of my bases covered offensively because not many teams, if any can handle that much firepower.

I chose to use a Mixed Dragonite, because I knew I would be able to catch my opponents off-guard expect me to to be Dragon Dance. This allows me to lure in most of its normal checks in and take them out for Zard X.

Manaphy's set is very straight forward and nothing surprising bar Psychic over Energy Ball for Mega Venusaur.

Excadrill was added as a great offensive spinner that had great synergy with the rest of the team and helped apply more pressure on teams, while also keeping me from getting swept by the likes of Clefable.

Due to Excadrill not being the most bulky steel type around, Aegislash was added as well. I went with a Pursuit set to switch in and trap Lati@s to ease Manaphy's wallbreaking or sweeps.

Lastly, Deoxys-Speed fit here as a both a revenge killer for Dragon Dance users like Gyarados, Dragonite or Zard X. This was originally a Dual Screens set, but I didn't really need the screens since only two members of this are setup sweepers. Screens is still a cool option if I change Dragonite's set to a Dragon Dance set but until that happens the offensive SR set is better.

Kevin Durant (Deoxys-Speed) @ Life Orb
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

ban dancin (Dragonite) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 52 Atk / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Mild Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed

Mole (Excadrill) (M) @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Kendrick Perkins (Aegislash) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 HP / 240 Atk / 252 SAtk / 12 Spd
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Pursuit
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

ban tail glow (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Tail Glow

Rhaegal (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

I might add replays later.

Last edited:

Managed to get one vote last time, hopefully I can get two this round.

Explanation:

This core is lovely, both dragonite and manaphy cover each others weaknesses well. To bolster the original cores synergy I added aegislash, who resists rock, ice, dragon, and fairy typed attacks. I was leaning towards creating a balanced team after adding aegislash but I couldn't let this cores offensive pressure go to waste, so I added suicide lead Deoxys-s. At this point Rotom-W, Azumarill, Clefable, & others became problems.

• 216+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Rotom-W: 135-159 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • +2 252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 216 Def Rotom-W: 229-270 (75.3 - 88.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 118-139 (29.9 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Clefable screws them with cosmic power & softboiled

• 216+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 121-144 (30.7 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 159-188 (40.3 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • +3 252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 159-187 (40.3 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Could've added more pokemon but didn't want to make this to long.

Never worry because Breloom can effectively deal with all of these pokemon and more. And nine out of ten times makes it a 5 vs 6 game through the use of spore. That's when Mega Venusaur became a problem because it can effectively wall everyone but it's nothing Talonflame can't handle. Talonflame serves as the teams late game cleaner and venusaur counter so please keep it as healthy as possible. If you've played well and kept stealth rocks off your side of the field, keeping Talonflame healthy is an easy task.
You must keeps rocks off your side of the field and rocks on your opponents side of the field, even if it's at the expense of less hazards. So if deoxys-s managed to get stealth rocks up taunt everything.

Deoxys-D, and Mega-Venusaur tend to create problems but if you play around well enough,they are manageable. For instance if I see a Deoxys-d on the opposing team I'll lead with Breloom and spore it. Mega-Venusaur is easily lured by Manaphy and Breloom and both create easy switch ins for Talonflame.

Importable:
Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Psycho Boost

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore

Swagonite (Dragonite) (M) @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Aegislash (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 216 SAtk / 16 Spd
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword

Talonflame (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Me First
- U-turn

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
EVs: 200 SAtk / 52 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Surf
- Tail Glow

Just use Power Whip on Ferrothorn:
4 Atk burned Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 84-100 (27.6 - 32.8%)
4 SpA Ferrothorn Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 96-114 (31.5 - 37.5%)

The tiny extra damage isn't worth it given that Power Whip is way more powerful in every other situation.
But Giga Drain gives recovery, which is always nice on Ferro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)