Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Def
Calm Nature
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Encore
- Mirror Coat

First, when seeing Charizard-X, I immediately thought D-Dance. Some like the bulky attacking set, but I feel D-dance is its best set, and so DDance is an obvious move. I chose Flare Blitz, which has 160 base power and recoil over Fire Punch, which has 100 base power, mainly due to the damage output. Now, the one major pokemon in OU immune to Flare Blitz is Heatran. So, EQ is an amazing third move. The fourth move I chose is not very standard, but I feel is exactly what I needed. Most battlers think their Azumarill will wall Charizard-X, and they do, if they have the typical Fire, Dragon, Ground Coverage. However, with losing dragon STAB, this Charizard is able to slam bunn-bunn with a 100 BP super effective move, while also being able to hit Gyarados super hard.

Then, when seeing Clefable, I immediately thought of Bulky Calm Mind. Charizard-X loses out on coverage on Dragon Types, so physically defensive Clefable is a great addition; it takes hits, and hits dragons super effectively with Moonblast. Calm Mind allows it to set up against special attackers + support Pokemon, Moon Blast hits HARD when boosted, Fire Blast is for roasting Steel types likely to switch in, and softboiled allows for it not to get worn down. It serves as a nice sponge for status moves, dragon moves, fighting moves, bug moves, and dark moves, and after some set up is hard to break down.

After examining my team, I realized I needed a bulky Pokemon that could stop setup sweepers and generally annoy the opponent. Thus, Quagsire seemed perfect. It can easily dispose of Scizor and Bisharp, who demolish Clefable. Scald is a great move that burns a physical attacker, who is who Quagsire should be walling. EQ is for STAB and for coverage against Charizard-X and Aegislash, and Toxic allows Quaggles to win against other defensive pokemon. Finally, recover allows Quagsire not to get worn down. Its weakness to toxic is covered by Clefable, and grass moves barely dent charizard.

Next, I decided I needed a specially strong grass type faster than Rotom-W. So, Roserade seemed like a great choice. It has decent speed and great special attack. It has hard hitting STAB's, sludge bomb and Energy Ball, and nice coverage in Dazzling Gleam and Hidden Power. The part I love about Roserade is its Hidden Power, as it has a base power of 90 and can be 16 different types. As long as you don't use Dark, Ghost, Poison, or Grass, you have a great coverage move here. I chose Hidden Power Ground, aka Earth Power, so that Heatran doesn't wall me. However, I may end up changing it to a different type, possibly "Ice Beam" or an improved "Aura Sphere."

Whenever using a grass type, a necessity to a team is a Talonflame counter. So, I went with physically defensive
Garchomp, who has great synergy with the team. With each Brave Bird, CB talonflame does 44% damage to itself, while doing 45% maximum to garchomp. Pair that with SR and stone edge, and Garchomp makes Roserade's life a lot easier. SR also punishes switching, which makes defensive pokemon like Venusaur, who the team has a bit of trouble with, reluctant to switch. Also, even without investment, STAB EQ hits hard and has great coverage with Stone Edge. Finally, Fire Blast makes it so that steel types and ice type switch ins are easily dealt with.

It took me a while to think of the perfect fourth member, but I believe I've found it. My team is not extraordinarily weak to any move type, and also often appreciates certain hard hitting, but predictable Pokemon, such as Lati@s, Keldeo, Terrakion, Gyarados, Mamoswine, etc removed from the game entirely. That, combined with the fact that Clefable laughs at dark + bug moves, makes
Wobbuffet the perfect sixth Pokemon. There's not much to talk about regarding its moveset, Counter + Mirror Coat + Encore are all very standard. Destiny Bond gets used very little, and could be replaced with safeguard. The amount of Pokemon Wobbuffet destroys for the team is so massive; just look below. Wobbuffet is a very important member of the team, as it can eliminate counters and checks of its teammates, given that they don't have strong bug, ghost, or dark moves.

: Quagsire handles SD set easily. Clefable can kill blade forme with Fire Blast and isn't hurt too hard. Charizard can EQ on the King's shield and OHKO with Flare Blitz.
: Garchomp avoids 2HKO with Fire Blast, OHKO's with Stone Edge. Can also set up SR early to limit Charizard's switching potential
: EQ on Garchomp + Charizard, who can both take a Dragon Claw. Wobbuffet avoids OHKO and can either encore it into DDance or a move that can be dealt with. Quagsire wins one on one with toxic.
: Mega charizard wins with Flare Blitz. Clefable usually wins with Fire Blast.
: Moonblasts from Clefable and Sludge Bombs from roserade are usually too much to handle. Wobbuffet can also lock it into a support move.
: Easily set up on by Clefable, easily predicted by Wobbuffet.
: Easily set up on by Clefable, easily predicted by Wobbuffet.
: Is predictable, and is bait for Wobbuffet. Is no trouble for Clefable if already set up. Roserade takes ≈78% from Icy wind, then KO's with Energy Ball.
: Thanks to it not having crunch, it is handled rather easily by Wobbuffet.
: Very predictable and OHKO'd by Wobbuffet.
: Can be OHKO'd by Wobbuffet and Wobby avoids the KO. But, U turn vs. Dark Pulse is a possible problem. Otherwise, clefable can set up calm minds on it, usually.
: A pain. In the same boat as Greninja with Mirror Coat, but, if it substitutes, mirror coat won't work. It can also Trick to annoy Wobby. Thankfully, Encore does go through Substitute, so it shouldn't be that terrifying.

: Clefable and Wobbuffet manhandle it.
: Roserade fares very well, thanks to its pseudo Earth Power. Charizard + Garchomp both have EQ, and Wobby is very reliable at encoring it.
: Clefable + Wobbuffet handle it well, and Quagsire can burn it or poison it, depending on the build.
: Quagsire has Scald + EQ and is physical bulky. Charizard has flare blitz. Wobbuffet can counter it to death (except w/ rapid spin...). Garchomp can wall it.
: Wobbuffet easily takes its moves. If given a chance to calm mind clefable also handles it well. If given a chance to DD, Charizard can fare well. But it can be a challenge.
: Garchomp kills it with stone edge + massive recoil. Wobbuffet can also manage, and if Pinsir's at +0, charizard and clefable can also handle it.
: Garchomp and Charizard handle it with Fire/Ground coverage.
: Quagsire can poison it and wobbuffet can encore it. But otherwise, it can pose a challenge.
: Fire moves on Garchomp, Clefable, and Charizard murder it.
: All decently strong moves, such as Flare Blitz from Charizard and Moon Blast from Clefable hurt it a ton.
: Sludge Bomb from Roserade handles it well. Unaware versions are beaten by quagsire.
: Clefable destroys it and Garchomp can take its attacks and make them do massive recoil.
: Scald from Quagsire hits it super effectively. Wobbuffet can Encore + Counter it. Roserade can energy ball it on the switch.
: Normal is shut down by Quagsire, and Mega is handled easily by Clefable. Wobbuffet can also Encore/counter it.
: Energy Ball and Sludge Bomb on Roserade and Thunder Punch Charizard handle both versions. Wobbuffet easily OHKOs choice band version.
: Moonblast and Dazzling Gleam on Clefable and Roserade hurt it a ton. Also, encore counter Wobbuffet slaughters it. Also, Garchomp's SR breaks its multi-scale.
: Scald from Quagsire can burn it, and Quagsire is UNAWARE of its DDances. Clefable can take +0 hits well and can moonblast, Garchomp + Charizard can EQ, and Wobbuffet can Encore/counter.
: A pain to deal with. Encore/mirror coat usually works on Wobbuffet, and a +1 Charizard can deal with it, but those are not easy solutions. SR makes it somewhat manageable.
: With each Brave Bird, CB talonflame does 44% damage to itself, while doing 45% maximum to garchomp. Pair that with SR, stone edge, + Scald Quagsire, and the team is not talonflame weak. Not to mention Counter Wobbuffet.
: Energy Ball Roserade and CM clefable work very well. Charizard and wobbuffet also handle it decently.
: Tricky to deal with. Wobbuffet is the only thing that reliable kills it. However, +1 Clefable can do fine and Charizard isn't weak to any of its attacks, and can hit hard with Thunder Punch, but risks a speed tie with one already at +3.
: Scald Quagsire handles it nicely, and Roserade + Clefable both seriously damage it. But, it hits hard and is decently bulky, and appreciates the lack of Ice on my team. Somewhat difficult.
: Quagsire + garchomp + charizard wall it, and 2/3 of them OHKO with fire moves.
upload_2014-3-8_22-3-11.png
: Quagsire can scald it, Clefable moonblasts it, Garchomp walls and EQs it, and Wobbuffet eliminates it.

Coming soon

Overall, this team works very well together. The offensive Pokemon can do massive damage and handle each other's checks and counters well, and the defensive Pokemon put a stop to things that would otherwise plague the team, namely setup sweepers, Talonflame, and predictable offensive Pokemon.

Last edited:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Protect
Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Lax Nature
- Stockpile
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake
Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
Deoxys-Defense @ Red Card
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Dark Pulse

As much as I wanted to run a defensive char-x I couldn't deny he's far more fun to use as a dragon dancer. There is a visceral pleasure in pressing outrage and watching teams crumple.

Clefable was a bit harder for me to decide on, but I liked the idea of a cleric and wish passer. I made it a special defensive wall where that unaware really helps against nasty plot thundurus among others. Nonetheless, clefable's main role on my team is to handle a predicted scarf outrage from garchomps as well as providing team support.

Latios is the standard lure set with Defog, I chose earthquake over HP fire or thunderbolt simply because there are a lot of switch ins to Latios that hate earthquake. Latios is the one Pokemon I don't sweep but rather bring in as a check to thinks like keldeo or thundurus, whose attacks can't KO me. However, this makes him very reliant on wish passes from clefable, as I do not run recover/roost

Next up is quagsire my physical defensive unaware. I love quagsire but more than that I love how the meta game has become far more friendly toward him. Stock pile is to turn key 2ko's (I'm talking mega mawile play rough and mega pinsir return) into 3ko's. it's all a matter of setting up as they do and finding out which one was actually worthwhile. Scald is to burn them and neuter them and leave it for another mon to finish, and earthquake is to mess up aegislash if I'm stuck in.

Next is scarf excadrill. Why settle for one mode of hazard clearing? I hate scarf rapid spin but its rarely used and when it is, it's badly needed. That mold breaker earthquake cleans up a lot of things, and iron head and rock slide round up those that wish to ignore earthquake.

Finally, oddly, is my lead deoxys D(efense). I forgo magic coat for taunt. That way if I come across opposing deoxys I can wear it deon a bit with dark pulse. Best hazard setter and keeping them up requires some serious aggressive plays, hence, Charizard and excadrill.

I feel good about this team. I encourage others to try it to understand what amazing synergy these guys have.

Last edited:
Stall W/ Mega Charizard-X

Charizard does surprisingly well on a stall team w/ its will-o-wisp set. Clefable is great for opposing stall teams because of magic guard.

EVs: 48 SDef / 248 HP / 212 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 152 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd / 80 Atk
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Brave Bird

Donphan @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Spd / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roar
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 72 SDef / 248 HP / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- U-turn
- Giga Drain
- Perish Song
- Recover

Charizard-X: Charizard-X is normally known for its Dragon Dance set, but I decided to take a different approach with it. Will-O-Wisp turns Charizard-x into a defensive beast, allowing common switch-ins (Tyranitar, Azumarill, Quaqsire, Excadrill, Gliscor if toxic orb hasn't activated, and more) to be burned. Charizard takes care of the steel type threats that this team would have trouble with such as Scizor, Bisharp, and Aegislash by either burning them or weakening them with earthquake. I have enough speed evs to outspeed + speed nature Kyurem-Black.

Clefable: Clefable laughs at opposing stall teams. I run flamethrower over focus blast because I feel like other team members take care of Heatran easily. Donphan and Charizard-X can OHKO with earthquake, and Vaporeon can take any hit Heatran has and retaliate with a super effective scald. Flamethrower is also useful for dealing with Skarmory, which walls Charizard-X. I'm running 8 speed evs to speed creep Aegislash, which most are bold nature anyways.

Skarmory: Skarmory is the hazard setter of the team. Even though Defog is popular this gen, it is still good to pressure the opposition to use defog so Charizard-X has a safe switch in if they use hazards. If the opponent is using rapid spin instead of defog, Skarmory is holding Rocky Helmet which will wear down the spinner. I'm also using Rocky Helmet because Celebi is often put into situations where the opponent will U-turn, meaning no free momentum. There's also enough attack evs to OHKO Mega Pinsir after SR.

Donphan: In all honesty, Donphan was my last resort. I needed a rapid spinner that synergized well with Skarmory, so Excadrill wasn't going to cut it. Assault Vest Donphan isn't that bad though, it checks a lot of the metagame, and can almost always get off the spin. Knock off is useful for wearing down the opponent so they don't have leftovers recovery, and it's also useful for those pesky spin blockers. I opt for Stone Edge instead of Ice Shard because I want power over utility, plus EdgeQuake coverage is really good.

Vaporeon: Vaporeon is the glue that keeps this team together. Vaporeon's wishes are enough to keep Donphan healthy, and Vaporeon's roars rack up hazard damage and stop setup sweepers.

Celebi: Celebi is what stops Magic Guard users from becoming a problem. A problem with many stall teams is that the opponent's whole team is dead except for a magic guard users. When the Magic Guard user is the only poke left, Celebi can Perish Song and the game will be over in 3 turns. Perish song is also useful for forcing switches, thus racking up more hazard damage.

Xenos Exterminatus:

Mag'ladroth (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
EVs: 136 HP / 120 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz

Fateweaver (Clefable) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SDef / 12 Spd
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Protect

Slaanesh (Exploud) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast

Warhawk (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Tomb Stalker (Scolipede) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Bunker (Conkeldurr) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Charizard X: Alright, I will say I never liked this guy too much as a physical sweeper, I prefer Char Y (ik he's not physical, but I still prefer him overall) However, I recently bumped into to someone running the Bulky WoW set and immediately fell in love. Unbuffed WoW and Roost allow him to cripple, sustain, and pull small amounts of harass with dragon claw since there is no recoil. Slap some buffs on this guy and prepare your Broom for the sweep. Dragon claw is Nasty enough on it's own, but a 2x attack Flare Blitz is a thing of beauty. I was one-shotting Azumarills who switched in to try and stop me. Speaking of water types, enjoy breaking through the bulk that is Char X

Clefable: Nothing too crazy or unusual here, several other people run this moveset, and with good reason. I like to use my Clefable as a Special Wall and a bit of a cleric for when they start trying to cripple my sweepers. Protect, Wish, and Aromatherapy: Marks of a classic Cleric. Moonblast for STAB, and I decided to run Unaware for the suprise value. People seem to expect cleric clefable to have Magic Guard, so they start buffing against her, quite hillarious really.

Exploud: I chose Exploud as my special sweeper for a few reasons. I Immediately knew I needed some more type coverage in terms of special attack since I was running a mostly physical team. Exploud can learn some of the hardest hitting moves form several types, so that's exactly what I did. Not to mention the STAB from a choiced Boomburst can blow teams apart like you would not believe. Boomburst alone has swept teams for me.

Gliscor: Well, I knew I wanted somewhat of a bulky team, and I knew i would need a wall, so i immediately thought of Gliscor, not much more to say. Not only is he incredibly frustrating to deal with, he can wipe a team, if you have properly managed threats to him, and you have the patience, planning, and foresight.

Scolipede: I'm running a physical attacker team, so Scolipede. For real though, it upsets me how many people let this little guy setup on them. Running a Focus Sash guarentees you at least one Swords Dance, and then a Baton Pass to a sweeper of your choice (unless they are running some priority on their lead.) If they don't stop you immediately, you can just keep buffing your speed and attack. When Swords Dance is just too risky, just use protect to increase your speed, Exploud would be happy to have a priority on Boomburst.

Conkeldurr: I couldn't claim to have a bulky attack core without this guy. There are several different ways to set him up, I ran with this set because I knew I would probably be faster most of the time with Scolipede passing to me. Spamming Drain Punch is pretty much your sustain when you are buffed. Knockoff adds some nice type coverage and deals with a lot annoying things. Ice Punch adds even more type coverage, and Mach Punch is there for when you are unbuffed, or you aren't quite sure if you are faster and need the slight edge.

Overall:
I like to think this team has a pretty good split of stall and offense. Stalling becomes easy thanks to the bulk of Char X, Clefable and Gliscor. Attacking falls into the realm of Char X, Conkeldurr, and Exploud. You have multiple options to work around with and 3 potential sweepers who all can all benefit from the stall.
Checks and Counters:
-In my testing of this team, the biggest issue I am running into is Hazard setters, mostly because i have no real way of removing them.
-Teams running a lot of priority seem to give me a lot of issue as well, it's hard to setup on them, and it doesn't matter how fast I go if they are guaranteed first
-Ailment teams: Toxic, Burn, Paralysis, Confusion, Taunting all no bueno
-(More added as I play with the team)

Replays:

Exploud Sweep/Unaware Clefable wins the game:
(I guess this guy was Unaware of Unaware...)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-96749670

Mega Charizard X Sweeps 6: plus some fun chat banter
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-96804619

Conkeldurr Sweeps 6:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-96807846

More added later

10 points to whoever can figure out my obscure naming references!

Last edited:
MISLEADING DOUBLE DRAGONS

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Spd / 92 Def
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

EVs: 248 HP / 148 SDef / 112 Spd
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 124 Spd / 248 HP / 136 Def
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- Taunt

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 188 Spd / 252 SAtk / 68 HP
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Much like everyone here submitting these teams, as soon as I saw Charizard Mega-X and Clefable, I knew that this was going to be a Bulky Offense team. Instead of using the cookie-cutter Bulky Dragon Dance set that I've seen some of these teams using, I decided to cheese a bit and run the bulky WoW version with Magic Guard Clefable (imo the best Clefable). Looking at the team so far, the team lacked in the damage department and thus could give away a lot of set-up opportunities. This is where Quagsire comes in. Quagsire works very well in this metagame against the boosting threats this metagame. Furthermore, the core of Char-X/Clef/Quag forms the pretty good Water/Fairy/Dragon core, so that's a plus. Quagsire also functions as a Quasi-check to Bisharp off of a Defiant boost (Defog obvs).

Now that I'm running a non-offensive Charizard-X, I need something that could definitely benefit from the team support, and the first thing that crossed my mind was Dragonite. Like Charizard-X, both of their checks are essentially the same. Charizard mitigates it to some degree by Will-O-Wisping against some of his switch-ins, such as Azumarill and Landorus-T. This significantly weakens both of them by mitigating passive recovery and crippling their offensive output, which gives Dragonite more breathing room to set up.

Now that we're four members in, I can clearly see that my team has a serious hazards problem. Before Mega-Evolving, Charizard takes 50% and Dragonite takes 75%. Either way, hazards takes away both of their longevity. This is where Skarmory came in. This Skarmory set I'm using is very different from the standard set because there are no hazards. The whole goal of this Skarmory is to Defog while being able to deal with other Defoggers and walls. Even without the defensive EVs, Skarmory can take hits. The whole build is meant to be a StallBreaker-ish set akin to that of Crobat. Taunt + Brave Bird can whittle down most Defensive pokemon, such as Ferrothorn, Mega-Venusaur, and Mandibuzz, pretty well. The speed is meant to outspeed 196s such as Mandibuzz and Mega-Venusaur with 0 Speed EVs. I allowed some extra EVs just in case I run into some version of either of the aformentioned Pokemon that ran some insane speed (which has happened).

Finally, I needed Hazards, but I was also hard-pressed for a damage option. So I just went YOLO and threw in Stealth Rock Landorus-I. Landorus-I scares the shit out of anyone and more like than not force a switch. This gives it the perfect situation to set up Stealth Rock and then promptly switch out into my team's plethora of Defensive options. What's better is that he still manages to be relevant in the later phases of the game with its sheer power. I run Modest over Jolly for the extra power. Besides, the only goal that Landorus needs to accomplish is to set up hazards and punch holes, not really sweep. The spread no real justification. I stole this from Halcyon's WIP article for RP Landorus, so I thought it must be good for some survivability. Besides, with the metagame leaning towards slower, bulkier offense, I don't think having a shitton of Speed on Landorus is still that necessary. Correct me if I'm wrong.

WIN CONDITIONS
Dragonite sweep
Clefable sweep
Landorus sweep (bulky offense, stall)

Stannis Baratheon (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SDef
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Joffrey Lannister (Aegislash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- King's Shield

Cersei Lannister (Clefable) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SDef
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Khal Drogo (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance

Melissandre (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog

Khaleesi (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Rain Dance

With the initial core, balance or Semi-Stall would be the best options. The overall idea is fairly simple, I weaken things up with Manaphy to set up sweeps for Zard X. Hippowdon was added because it has good synergy with Zard X and checks a lot of different things that can be annoying to this team. I don't have Sand Stream because it interferes with Clefable's Moonlight and I want the recovery for it. The EV spread is actually Molk's spread that avoids the 2HKO from CB Talonflame with the rest in SpDef to be a good mixed wall. Latias acts as my Keldeo, Zard Y and Thundurus-I check while defogging for Zard. The EV spread does give me a Life Orb number while avoiding being 2HKOed by something but I don't remember what that exactly what.

Clefable is a great asset for this team as with cleric for Charizard who can get poisoned or Thunder Waved while sweeping. Helps a lot when I face Tyranitars or Hippowdons who can switch into Manaphy on a predicted Rest to remove Rain.

SubToxic Aegislash is a great fit for this team since I can Toxic things like Mandibuzz, Hippowdown and anything I find to be annoying. This allows me to wear down specific checks and counters to set up a sweep for either Manaphy and Charizard. Last but not least, Rain Dance Manaphy. This set is just so much fun and truly shines against balance and stall teams since they all struggle to stop it from sweeping. After using this set, I know understand why this thing was banned last generation, its just such a monster under rain.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok there's been a surprising lack of discussion about what I thought was one of, if no the, best cores we've had so far. So before voting starts I want to make a post discussing my thought on the core's strength's, weaknesses, and how I think one should build with both in mind. I think these two Pokemon have great synergy together. Clefable is one of the best support Pokemon in the game, and it just meshes with Charizard X so well.

Dragons- Charizard X, being a Dragon in the 100 base Speed tier, has to watch out for faster Dragons. This includes Garchomp, Latios, and Latias, as well as opposing Dragonite and Charizard X that have set up a Dragon Dance. One of the main reasons that people chose to use Unaware over Magic Guard on their Clefable is because physically defensive Unaware Clefable checks and/or counters just about every dragon in OU.

Thundurus-T- While Thundurus-T can't be outright countered by Clefabel (unless it sets up Calm Minds first), many teams rely on Thundurus to paralyze a Charizard X that has managed to get to +1 with priority T-wave. Clefable can help by providing Heal bell support, meaning that Charizard can set up to +1, KO the opposing Thundurus and then Heal Bell the paralysis later.

However, there are some definite issues with the core too, ones which lend itself to being weak to certain Pokemon. These threats are supposed to be covered by the rest of the team, and these are the ones I personally saw and tried to build around. I'm going to ignore the obvious ones such as HAZARDS!!!! because we all know that Charizard is going to need hazard support.

Powerful Water types- Pokemon like Greninja, Keldeo, Azumarill, and to an extent, Manaphy, are major threats to the core. neither Clefable nor Zard X is going to enjoy taking LO Protean Hydro Pump, nor a Specs Hydro from Keldeo for that matter. Manaphy can be checked by Unaware Clefable, but if it gets worn down, it can't stop Manaphy from sweeping. Good water resists are often the way to go, imo. For me, AV Azumarill fit the bill for most of these (Skarm covers Azumarill), whereas Subject 18 (who has the best team again, imo) opted for a CM Manaphy and Latias.

Heatran- Unless you run EQ on Zard, Heatran is going to be an issue for this core. It completely walls both of these Pokemon, so something to either wear it down or lure it in is advisable as well. The best way to go about beating Heatran, I've found, is not to necessarily depend on Pokemon that can beat it 1v1, but to wear it down over time as the battle goes on. If not, Surf Latios or Psychic or CM Manaphy (to beat Mega Venusaur, which is often paired with it) are both good options to fit this role.

Bulky Grounds- While not necessarily a problem for Clefable, they are a huge one for Zard X. Pokemon like Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Quagsire, etc, are huge pains for Charizard X to try to break through, and it always appreciates some assistance. To help lure in these Pokemon, Sub Toxic Aegislash is an amazing partner. It lures in SDef Hippo very easily, only to be Toxic'd and stalled out to a point where Charizard can break past it. The same can be said of Mandibuzz, though it is less of an issue for Zard, Foul Play can still hurt.

PLEASE let's discuss this core before we just vote and move on to the next one. This is supposed to be a discussion thread as well, guys. Talk about issues you have had with team building, why you chose the mons you did, and things you expect to see on every team.

Luz

Banned deucer.
It's Time To Hunt! Ultimate!

Azure Rathalos (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 148 Spd / 252 Atk / 108 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw

Lagiacrus (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 220 Spd / 56 SAtk / 232 HP
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Rathian (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Congalala (Clefable) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

Barroth (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 220 Def / 252 HP / 16 Atk / 16 Spd
Lax Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Bnahabra (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 176 Spd / 252 Atk / 80 HP
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace

Charizard X: With an extreme power, Mega Charizard X can sweep a team by his own, with the necessary speed to outspeed the biggest part of the meta with a +1 boost, he can be an awesome late game sweeper if he shows up in the right time.

Rotom-Wash: An awesome Pokémon, he is an import part of the team because he covers Charizard X weakness and it learns volt switch, an incredible move to keep up the momentum in the game, with the spread to outspeed Landorus Therian and Gliscor to surpise them with Hydro Pump.

Latias: The special defense of the team, with defog to help Charizard came in. Thunderbolt for the bulky water that can show up, Dragon Pulse for the STAB Dragon which os really great, and Reciver to remain in the battle for more time, Latias is necessary because she can support Zard and cover his weakness.

Clefable: The Cleric of the team, shows up to take hits and work as a WishPass. With the immunity that she has and great type, she covers Zard and Latias giving support to them.

Landorus Therian: The hazard setup, even having defog in the team, an entry hazard can be very helpful.
With an really powerful earthquake even without a lot of EVs in atk, Hidden Power to lead with another ground types, and U-turn to make a Volturn core with rotom.
Landorus is there to cover Charizard weakness against bulky ground types like Hippowdon, Gliscor, and even another Landorus.

Scizor: The most used Pokémon in BW comes back in a different way.
Scizor has always been great, with two powerful STAB moves, Bullet Punch and U-turn for the Volturn core with Rotom and Landorus, Knock Off is an incredible move in this meta, and the best for the end, Aerial Ace to lead up with Conkeldurr and principally Mega Venusaur.

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Threats...
I feel like a lot of potential discussion has already been done in the explanation/threatlist section of my post. But, I do see how doing this could be helpful:

Threats to the core, and the team I created itself:

Powerful Special Water Types: Greninja, Keldeo, and Manaphy are all able to easily muscle through Charizard-X and Clefable without any boosts. Roserade is too slow to handle them, and Garchomp is weak to ice, so my solution is Wobbuffet. It really allows easy removal of Keldeo and Manaphy. Greninja can still be difficult with U-turn v. dark pulse, but if u-turn is revealed previously, you can Counter the switch in to death.

Gengar: Again, another powerful special attacker annoys my team. It has poison STAB for Clefable and Ghost STAB for Wobbuffet. Charizard can OHKO, and avoids the OHKO, but still takes a lot of damage in the process. Charizard is usually my answer, but a healthy Wobbuffet can also handle it.

Venusaur: Every team has its flaws. One flaw of my team is I lack Psychic/Flying moves. I could add hidden power psychic/flying on Roserade, but then I'd lose out on coverage on Heatran. My solution? Wobbuffet. It takes little from any of its attacks and can encore + mirror coat/counter it. Or, it can encore it into a support move and then switch into Roserade. It's tolerable.

Deoxys-D: It is setup fodder for Charizard-X, but, the problem is I have no way to stop it from setting up hazards. While my team is not hazard weak, and can handle almost every other hazard setting, Deoxys-D is too bulky to OHKO. It almost always gets up two layers of spikes, and I don't carry defog. I can Encore it with Wobbuffet, but it's not severely hurt getting locked into spikes.

Other threats I have avoided:

Bulky Grounds: Roserade was added to my team to be able to threaten bulky grounds who threaten Charizard.
Heatran: Clefable HATES Heatran. Solution? Quagsire, Garchomp, Charizard, and Roserade all have 90 or 100 BP ground moves. It might be over-preparing, but still. It's not bad to over-prepare for the pokemon #3 in usage.

Dragons: Garchomp and Charizard hate 'em. Solution? Moonblast on Clefable + Wobbuffet eliminating the predictable offensive ones.

It definitely seems like Specially Attacking Water-types are the most threatening to the core, and at least two teams built for it (mine and Halcyon's). I'd definitely like to hear other players' ways against Cute-aphy, Greninja, and Keldeo.

Last edited:
If anything, there is almost a support/benefactor relationship between clerfairy/Charizard respectively. I think the fact that Clefable is rather limited in its role means that Charizard X is what dictates the team's objective in this core... You have balanced, semi-stall, bulky offense as the general options due to clefable's best role here being a defensive cleric, taking Charizard's Dragon weakness. Something like Chesnaught or an edgequake resist is probably a good teammate to cover Charizard-X, given Scarf landorus-t being a thing, as well as Lando-i outspeeding by one point.

Personally, I'd say semi-stall is probably the best choice with a bulky Zard, but that's just personal preference. Grass types really should be a must, though, given quagsire.

Scotti

we back.

Patience
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Wish

EVs: 96 Spd / 80 SDef / 84 Def / 248 HP
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Earthquake
- Hammer Arm

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Haze

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 216 SDef / 252 HP / 40 Atk
Careful Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Roost

The goal of this team is to sweep with calm mind latias. This team is also a stall team, because it uses a lot of strong walls and tries to wall everything in the meta. Now let me go into detail about the role of each pokemon. Clefable is mostly there because it has to be there. It is also on this team as my Dragon check and cleric. It uses its support move Stealth rock, Heal bell, and wish to keep this team in shape. It is also a good counter to conkelldur and other fighting types. Charizard X is more of a tank to deal damage instead of a wall. It uses moves like Flare Blitz and Earthquake to deal a good amount of damage to my opponents team. Will-O-Wisp is there to weaken physically oriented mons that like to switch in to Charizard X such as Azumarill, Tyranitar, and Terrakion. Finally, roost is just a good move to recover health with, and keeps charizard alive later on in the match.

Chesnaught and Quagsire add a strong defensive core to the team. They also add a strong FWG to the team. Also, Quagsire + Clefable make a strong unaware defensive core. Chesnaught is there to take Earthquakes, and weaken physical attackers with Leech Seed and Spiky Shield. Chesnaught also walls 2 important threats, named Bisharp and Aegislash. That is why I run Earthquake, so I can hit Aegislash. I run a mostly standard Quagsire set, accept the only difference is that I run Haze to handle Baton Pass teams.

This team is also built on a Fairy + Dragon + Steel core. This core handles a lot of threats, and it usually a great way to handle dragons that get past steels. This core mostly consist of Latias, Scizor, and Clefable. Mega Zard is also a dragon, but Latias fits better when using this core. Scizor is my defogger over latias, because I like the bulk defog scizor gives to my team and I wanted latias to be a calm mind sweeper. The reason for wanting Latias to be a calm mind sweeper, was that I wanted a win condition rather than stalling out my opponent with a toxic from Quagsire or slowly weakening them with attacks. I also wanted Calm Mind Latias to take out stall teams a lot easier.

I've been climbing the ranks with my team and am now 1770, the main problems are definately the special water types namely Specs Keldeo and special wallbreakers in general like Char-Y. Keldeo usually takes down a mon or two before it goes down as Sp. Def Clefable is my best switch in to it and something is usually sac'ed to get Thundy in for the revenge kill. Keldeo by itself is manageable put paired with another strong special attacker really gives me fits.
Greninja isn't usually an issue bar the rare specs one as Clefable takes roughly 30% Hydro Pump.
Char-Y has also been a nuisance, it's usually dealt with through switching between Clefable and XZard to stall out the sun and if something goes down, Thundy again comes to revenge.

Regarding issues with bulky grounds and dragon cores, I find the best way to handle those is through Skarmory and if you have a free move slot open, throw toxic on it and sit there. Skarmory and Landorus are really strong against these bulky grounds especially if my XZard gets in a WoW.

Concerning the Core

Concerning the core, one thing I found hard to use was clefable. As a cleric and wish passing pivot, it's amazing, but figuring out how to bulk it out (and forgoing toxic, which I think was a mistake as protect has not come in handy, aside the occasional scout). In the end, I gave it special bulk just because it has a higher special defense stat. Char-X really steals the show in this core, Clefable sort of pulls the strings in the background to make things run smoothly. Can't count how many times a wish pass/aromatherapy has kept char X viable during a match. That's the thing thought, Char X's requirement for support from Clefable limits Clefable's potential because it needs to run status moves (unless of course you dedicate another mon to that). Those are my thoughts at least.

My Team Specifically

Things I've had problem with, personally, is Mandibuzz. Taking it out is frustrating especially if well played. It's foul play does huge damage to the majority of my team, and only quagsire and clefable can work together to take it out without having my team take too much damage.

Otherwise it's been smooth sailing. If I don't make a misplay, things go well.

Mega Pinsir and mawile can be a bit tough to beat. I need to bring in Quagsire on the switch/SD. Only with a stockpile boost can I survive the onslaught. If I miss that moment, I have to hope that Excadrill is at full health to OHKO with Rock Slide.

Mawile is a lot harder, Quagsire needs to take care of it, more so than even Pinsir.

Aside from these mega threats, I find my own lack of status is frustrating. While the hazard stacking prowess of deoxys D is greatly appreciated, sometimes reliable status would make things permanently in my favor.

It definitely seems like Specially Attacking Water-types are the most threatening to the core, and at least two teams built for it (mine and Halcyon's). I'd definitely like to hear other players' ways against Cute-aphy, Greninja, and Keldeo.
I dunno, Lati@s do a great job of dealing with special water type attackers (bar greninja) as well as deoxys d, with Defog.

The Pokemon I've had more trouble with are bulky status Pokemon.

Pokemon like mandibuzz, clefable, in some cases sableye are the most annoying to this core, because those Pokemon are easily capable of wearing down both core members through status and foul play, while keeping their own health up.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I dunno, Lati@s do a great job of dealing with special water type attackers (bar greninja) as well as deoxys d, with Defog.

The Pokemon I've had more trouble with are bulky status Pokemon.

Pokemon like mandibuzz, clefable, in some cases sableye are the most annoying to this core, because those Pokemon are easily capable of wearing down both core members through status and foul play, while keeping their own health up.
I think the issue I saw with relying on Latias to be the sole Water resist was that it is so easily trapped by Bisharp/Aegislash, and without another resist to things like Keldeo, you're kind of high and dry. That's why I went for Azumarill, as it seemed like a semi reliable answer to these Pokemon.

I think the issue I saw with relying on Latias to be the sole Water resist was that it is so easily trapped by Bisharp/Aegislash, and without another resist to things like Keldeo, you're kind of high and dry. That's why I went for Azumarill, as it seemed like a semi reliable answer to these Pokemon.
Yeah I thought that too (and the fact that I lacked priority) but with azumarill I found myself with zero special attackers, which I couldn't take the risk of running, plus its have to be a bulk focused azumarill and that doesn't fit my play style.

Running Latios let's me check those special water types, and double switching into the many Pokemon on my team tha can deal with aegislash isn't a far fetched option either.

MUH
STALL
So this team was built round the Zard X Clefable core. I decided to run a cleric Clefable similar to Chansey so as to beat Manaphy Thundys etc with unaware whilst I found the best Zard X partner for this specific Clefable was a bulky roost, Will O variant so as to cripple physical atkers that switch in to Zard x and Dtail as my stab to rack up entry hazard late game. SO Immediately i set about covering two major threats to the current core: Physical attackers but specifically opposing dd Zard X's and Mega Pinsir. Skarm and Quagsire both worked extremely well with this core i found and beat the majority of physical attacker in OU .Skarmory is used currently as a SR setter taunter of the blobs. Quag is used to beat many physical atackers and use haze to troll Baton Pass.Now the final slots were decided by me needing a way to beat Aegislash and a fairy check. EQ Chesnaught was the best way to beat aegislash and us capable of setting the spikes for my team whilst resisting edgequake wonderfully and providing an annoying leech seed on many switches. Originally Zapdos was a Heatran but Heatran gave me a Lando I weakness even more and was setup bait for strong water attackers like Keldeo. Thus Zapdos was my choice of mon. Sub is there to help with statusers defog for hazards HP ice to beat the aforementioned Lando I and roost as a method of recovery.

The Team Pastebin
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Moonblast

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 204 SDef / 248 HP / 56 Spd
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Spd / 244 SDef
Calm Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Substitute
- Defog

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Taunt

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield
- Earthquake

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright guys, time to end this round! It's that time again to vote for whichever team you feel is the best and makes great use of the core. DO NOT vote for yourself!. The deadline is Friday, March 14th.

If you click on the participant's username, it will link you to their entry post. Make sure to read through each entry before voting.

Users: Hot N Cold, U-Ralph, and Halcyon will have their votes doubled.
Entries:
1. MasterLemon
2. Dr. Ciel
3. Halcyon. ((BAN ME PLEASE))
4. AlexDJi
5. deepbluejeer
6. finncent1
7. LoDart210
8. Vegan Zombie
9. Fourth Inversion
10. Æthereal Reaper
11. eaglehawk
12. Subject 18
13. Luz
14. scotti
15. IamGingy
16. JxDk

If I missed anyone or linked a team to the wrong post, please let me know right away! Also, try not to bandwagon. Make sure the decision you make is YOUR personal opinion, not just because everyone else is voting for someone.

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Subject 18.

The goal of the team is simple, clear cut, and everything on the team synergizes very well together. Clefable acting as a cleric sweeper and Charizard X as a bulkier sweeper showcases how well these two can work together. Calm Mind Manaphy is such an underrated sweeper, and it's great to see it used correctly.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
First, I want to thank all of the likers of my team! It really means a lot!

Second I want to vote for scotti. The team works very well (I've tried it out); it's just extremely effective and hard to beat. But, great job to the other 13 entries, and may the odds be ever in your favor! :)

finnecent1

The things that stand out most for me about this team is that defensive garchomp, and that wobbufett assassin, which is never taken seriously even though it can be a potent threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)